Thinking of dumping my car... Thoughts?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: FIRED!

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:11 pm No. Not really. I can walk away from coins I want. Do it all the time. Coins will always be there.
That's not really....you know what, never mind.
Covfefe!
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Don’t hold back, Hep, it’s for posterity! :P
I’d consider a more bottom-up approach, Drazzil. I think you often spontaneously over share in an attempt to make real connections, which I recognize as I do it myself. It’s been suggested to you in the past that you go into the sunlight and try to make some real friends - some real connections. As I know this is often easier said than done, I’d at least recommend you keep your real world struggles and vulnerabilities closer to the vest for a bit. Many people here just can’t help but treat them as the heaviest shot-put in the ongoing Sensiblympics. There is a difference between being friendly and being friends. Practice setting some boundaries and deflecting some personal questions and opinions (e.g. shit about ‘adulting’).
Have you tried Wordle?

</irony>
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

RuperT wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:07 pm Don’t hold back, Hep, it’s for posterity! :P
I’d consider a more bottom-up approach, Drazzil. I think you often spontaneously over share in an attempt to make real connections, which I recognize as I do it myself. It’s been suggested to you in the past that you go into the sunlight and try to make some real friends - some real connections. As I know this is often easier said than done, I’d at least recommend you keep your real world struggles and vulnerabilities closer to the vest for a bit. Many people here just can’t help but treat them as the heaviest shot-put in the ongoing Sensiblympics. There is a difference between being friendly and being friends. Practice setting some boundaries and deflecting some personal questions and opinions (e.g. shit about ‘adulting’).
Have you tried Wordle?

</irony>
I went into the sunlight and made some real friends and worked a job for 60-90 hours a week till it became too dangerous to continue. The mistake I made was oversharing about the termination and how I felt immediately following the incident. My good friends here, pre trained to smell out any sign of my potentially doing something wrong, immediately leapt to my aid to give me advice about my current situation.

Anyway I interview for a union valet job on Wednesday so.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 pm
Drazzil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:11 pm No. Not really. I can walk away from coins I want. Do it all the time. Coins will always be there.
That's not really....you know what, never mind.
Addictions need outlets. I will always have a spot in my brain labeled
"addiction" I need to find something to jam in there, otherwise it's empty. And empty is horrifically dangerous.

I just need to find things that are beneficial rather then dangerous.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There you go. That’s a step forward. :clap:
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:07 pm There you go. That’s a step forward. :clap:
Here's the thing. While I've been in Portland I've only bought a handful of things that were really unnecessary, but beneficial to me often in life changing ways.

I bought an air fryer, which I swear to the gods, I never find ways to stop using. I use it, once, sometimes twice a day.

I bought a television set on sale through prime day. Like it better then the old one. I was starting to get headaches with the old one.

I also bought a computer. Since I bought it it's doubled in value. When I bought it at the beginning of covid I figured it may be a few months before the chip thing got unsnarled.... hooo boy was I wrong. If I had known, I'd have bought a beefier card. Hell I would have blown my life savings on video cards. I could sell it today for exactly double what I paid for it a year and a half ago.

And I bought those coins, which I will be able to get 95% of their value back if I need to sell. Every single one of those "impulse" coin purchases was on a list that was checked twice.

Edit for: I got fucked on three coins. I spent grossly in excess of what they were worth. I was snookered to the tune of about 100 dollars on three coins combined. These were holdovers from an old collection I started. I've bought..... hundreds? of coins by now. in the last fifteen years. So. I suppose that's not a bad rate. One sixtieth of the entire value of my coin collection was a bad investment according to two separate professional evaluations I've had. My old collection gained in value about fifty percent in about thirteen years. I made made a few EXTREMELY intelligent purchases (one unwittingly, two wittingly) and those three coins wound up covering the losses I took in spades.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Just a comment about the computer's value. It doesn't matter what is the current value if you don't sell it.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 pm
RuperT wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:07 pm Don’t hold back, Hep, it’s for posterity! :P
Have you tried Wordle?

</irony>
I went into the sunlight and made some real friends and worked a job for 60-90 hours a week till it became too dangerous to continue. The mistake I made was oversharing about the termination and how I felt immediately following the incident. My good friends here, pre trained to smell out any sign of my potentially doing something wrong, immediately leapt to my aid to give me advice about my current situation.

Anyway I interview for a union valet job on Wednesday so.
Well, okay, I was being a bit florid, and bleak. I could’ve just said a person needs some real life support without casting you as some lonely soul, some mewing catman.
The rest of that bullshit was about you turning it down a couple notches here so peace-loving folk don’t have to weaponize Elie Wiesel quotes, and old ones aren’t called from their dusty slumber, croaking and cursing. I actually have no interest in employment talk except for sausage-making, frankly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, Drazzil does keep it all within the bounds of this thread. So you can just avoid it. Well, if it hasn't changed names again that week. But just look for the person who started the thread and veer away if it's that troublesome. Just like I avoid any thread I've created myself.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:58 am Just a comment about the computer's value. It doesn't matter what is the current value if you don't sell it.
I almost made the same comment. :D

My brother collects car parts. Engines, axles, etc. One time he was telling me what each one was worth. I told him the same thing. To my knowledge he still (20+ years later) hasn't sold any of the "treasures".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:27 am To be fair, Drazzil does keep it all within the bounds of this thread. So you can just avoid it. Well, if it hasn't changed names again that week. But just look for the person who started the thread and veer away if it's that troublesome. Just like I avoid any thread I've created myself.
You’ve got it backwards. I value Drazzil and his true diversity of opinion, which is honestly in short supply around here. I was just encouraging him to develop a more conservative posting style, or at least less bipolar. It just encourages scolding.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, got it.

Although I stick by my assertion that everyone should avoid any thread I create.
RuperT wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm I value Drazzil and his true diversity of opinion, which is honestly in short supply around here.
Sick burn, brah.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Re: Man is the coin market over inflated

Post by Drazzil »

So I've had the chance to do a lot of ahem.... research... on coins lately. Window shopping for my second paycheck of my new job and all that stuff. There are *so* many cool sets out there. Made of genuine gold and silver. Minted by government mints. Commemorating everything and anything. Nice looking stuff. Stuff to tickle the collector of every sort of IP imaginable. Then it hit me. Even these government minted coins that are incredible works of art on their own sometimes, they're retailing for FAAAAR above bullion value.

It's a scam like those plates they used to sell to grandma over the tv.

They're saturating the market with all this stuff, and when everything is special, then nothing is. Coins are going through the same phase comic books went through in the 90's.

Lucky me I stuck to US government mint stuff and stuck DAMN close to the actual bullion value or arguably slightly above.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They shouldn’t make them two sided. If they made them one sided, think how much money they’d save.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:21 pm They shouldn’t make them two sided. If they made them one sided, think how much money they’d save.
Alright Hepcat. Whimsy recognizes whimsy. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Also, why haven’t they responded to my letter writing campaign regarding the Hepcat Commemorative Half Dollar featuring me on one side and Bea Arthur on the other?

I’ll tell you why. Deep state shenanigans.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, this paint thinner ain’t gonna drink itself, you know.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The oldest coin I have is one my wife had from her grandfather. Its a half dollar sized 1835 Liberty penny. Love it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 pm Also, why haven’t they responded to my letter writing campaign regarding the Hepcat Commemorative Half Dollar featuring me on one side and Bea Arthur on the other?

Now, if you’ll excuse me, this paint thinner ain’t gonna drink itself, you know.
While I'm at it. I'ma go back to shopping for "commemorative plates" I know what a terrible terrible TERRIBLE idea these very shiny coins are, I do however fuckin love to look at em. They got a coin thats a scale model of mars. Another thats a reproduction of mt Kilimanjaro.

Don't get me wrong, horrible, HORRIBLE investments. Pretty though. Worth dropping a note to my coin dealer(s) if I spot a nice one I can bag for a little over melt.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Stick to US mint eagles or graded numismatics.

The reason they trade above spot is because they have added value. The commemorative stuff is garbage.

Krugerrands and sometimes Canadian Mint are ok.

And guess what, the $17 silver eagles are all fake.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 am Stick to US mint eagles or graded numismatics.

The reason they trade above spot is because they have added value. The commemorative stuff is garbage.

Krugerrands and sometimes Canadian Mint are ok.

And guess what, the $17 silver eagles are all fake.
I bought a set of Morgan and peace dollars this year because I *really* wanted the set. I paid the premium for all. Which is fine. Other then that I've pretty much stuck to mint sets trading close to spot. Have you seen the new Morgan dollars? They're really REALLY nice. Pictures don't really do em justice.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a untouched set....somewhere around here God knows where.....from the 70s. I think they are 1976 bicentennial commemorative proof . IIRC it has a dollar, half dollar, quarter, nickle, dime , penny in a plastic sealed strip.

like this....dad got them for me as a child.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:47 am

I bought a set of Morgan and peace dollars this year because I *really* wanted the set. I paid the premium for all. Which is fine. Other then that I've pretty much stuck to mint sets trading close to spot. Have you seen the new Morgan dollars? They're really REALLY nice. Pictures don't really do em justice.
Honestly I'd get a nice graded original Morgan before one of the new ones. Really looking for a toned Morgan.

For new stuff, IMO the 2019-W Silver Eagle reverse proofs are undervalued.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:09 pm

Honestly I'd get a nice graded original Morgan before one of the new ones. Really looking for a toned Morgan.

We should chitter chatter you and I. You know more about this business/hobby then I do.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:30 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:09 pm

We should chitter chatter you and I. You know more about this business/hobby then I do.

Also that seems to be what a lot of people say about the new morgans and peace dollars.
Drazzil

Re: HIRED!

Post by Drazzil »

I was holding some cards close to the vest before they materialized. I am officially hired on to a valet position working for a series of garages at a hospital. The tipped position pays one dollar less then what my rate of pay would have been at my former employer.

However this is offset by the fact that this employer works with VR and job developers offering supported employment for all sorts of people. Also the interviewer looked at my resume and wants me to apply to an admin position that he thinks I can do. I will have to take a short excel test but if I can pass that I will be making an order of magnitude more then what I was making at the old job.

Also it looks like my former employer may have to pay me up through the beginning of this week. It took them a week to get my stuff together and to decide how they wanted to handle the situation. Also, they may have to pay me through tomorrow as they are a week late on giving me my full separation amount.

PS: It was a MASSIVE mistake disclosing this the way I did. Invited the dogpile when maybe I could have withheld judgement until the situation settled.

Anyway. I'm going to try to learn a lesson going forward about maybe keeping my mouth shut and doing my job until I can spring a parachute instead of doing things the way I wanted to. Although, given the events leading up to this particular shitshow, I'm not too sure how much different I could have played those cards. I didn't feel like I had much of a choice.

Maybe I should learn a lesson about how I shouldn't have taken a job that far outside my comfort zone. Allllllthough I did learn that when it comes to work. I'm mostly a salamander. I learned that from my former employer. It takes a special kind of guy to operate in that kind of environment daily and keep your sanity and show up every day with a smile and ask for brutal crushing overtime. I did that. I loved it.

Most who showed up to my little corner of world tend to be on their last rung. Crazy, drug addicted, mentally ill (PM me if you want to know about the masterbator!) or a combination of all three. I converted more then a few people who would shoplift into regular customers just by treating them like human beings.

Customers would tell me about how I made their day when they walked in the door. I had people walk in on trying to make my day a shitshow, but then my positive attitude would turn their day around. I helped one guy sell a car, I sent another into rehab (he checked himself out O well) I helped people find shelter spots and allowed people to use the store phone if they bought something (per my mgr). My co workers all loved me.

My job was to handle customer transactions in a friendly (but not your friend) manner. I guess I may have screwed that up, because I helped people. I wasn't a pushover by any means. A lot of my job involved throwing out assholes who weren't there to handle a transaction. That said I tried to do it kindly. Meet fucked up with smiles and grace under fire. I did this.

The way I saw things is that people who were on the bottom rung of life or people who were too stupid to figure out that everything was cheaper elsewhere deserved my full and fair attention. They paid for my coins. They deserved to be treated as esteemed guests bearing gifts. So I helped as much as I could. I tried to keep my co workers safe and to give my employer fair value for money. I stayed moving. I never missed shifts, I would inform them if I had an issue or would be late.... And I never, EVER forgot who paid my bills. I was the level headed one. The one who co workers tapped to handle a "difficult transaction" The one who would calmly, and coolly explain to a customer why he did in fact have the correct change. My till was always on the dime. Sometimes literally.

And if I hadn't taken a job that as WILDLY outside of my comfort zone I never would have guessed I could do any of this.
Last edited by Drazzil on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

I guess they didn't ask you what "order of magnitude" means in your interview.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Ænima wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 pm I guess they didn't ask you what "order of magnitude" means in your interview.
By some times larger. Which would still technically be true, only the timetable might have a decimal after the number. :D

Also I'm not shocked that that's what you managed to take away from the whole thing. I wish I could say that I didn't have that coming but there I go with the over sharing again. Like asking for a sharp stick in the eye.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That is great news! Best of luck with the new gig, with 97% fewer robberies.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Please don't lock the doors to the hospital.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:20 pm Please don't lock the doors to the hospital.
If I do you can bet there'll be a good reason. :lol:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Congratulations! That's great that the last job taught you something about yourself. That's an excellent takeaway! Remember those lessons, and keep that even keel in your new job.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 pm Crazy, drug addicted, mentally ill (PM me if you want to know about the masterbator!) or a combination of all three.
I’m just impressed he achieved that status in the activity.
Covfefe!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Grats on getting new job so fast!

Hopefully a much less robbery prone position.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 pm .... And I never, EVER forgot who paid my bills. I was the level headed one.
I don't think you took any lessons away if that's your self reflection.
No.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Congrats on the new job!
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 pm Also, why haven’t they responded to my letter writing campaign regarding the Hepcat Commemorative Half Dollar featuring me on one side and Bea Arthur on the other?

Dude...think of the money they'd make with a limited edition set: One-sided coins with you on one and Paste Pot Pete on the other, but to complete the set, you'd have to find both sides and....

STICK THEM TOGETHER!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really don't appreciate you not taking the Paste Pot Pete campaign seriously, you know.
Covfefe!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:21 am I really don't appreciate you not taking the Paste Pot Pete campaign seriously, you know.
Any publicity is good publicity, sir. I'm just trying to get his name out there.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:06 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:21 am I really don't appreciate you not taking the Paste Pot Pete campaign seriously, you know.
Any publicity is good publicity, sir. I'm just trying to get his name out there.
That's a good point. Drazzil, any chance we could convince you to wear this outfit around work for a few months?

Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:25 pm
Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:06 pm
That's a good point. Drazzil, any chance we could convince you to wear this outfit around work for a few months?

Looking at that picture the most ridiculous part about the character is the size of his Paste reserves. I assume that gun shoots the paste out at a fairly quick pace, which leads me to believe that he would run out of paste really quick if he ever got into a real situation. It's just really bad planning on his part. At a minimum he should have a back pack container full of paste.

FTE