Thinking of dumping my car... Thoughts?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: FIRED!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:11 pm @carpet_pissr
Bards and Warlocks use charisma for their spell casting ability though.
Fine, wizards, then!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Officially terminated today. Paid thru sunday. For all the shooting of myself in the foot, for all of what I could have done better, for all of the time I've had to dissect this, through all of the self recrimination.

I come down to one fact I keep circling around back to. There is no way on gods green earth I would be willing to run that place alone. No thank you. Not for twice the pay. I can find a perfectly good job paying just as much with no need to deal with the foolishness.

Hundreds of thousands of jobs out there. I will find one with less chance of hood shit popping off.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then next time give them notice and resign instead of doing something to get yourself fired.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Ok it’s long overdue that someone in here fess up. This is a parody/troll account. Who created it? Hepcat? RunninngMn9? Confess!

🤨
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

msduncan wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:13 am Ok it’s long overdue that someone in here fess up. This is a parody/troll account.

Like I've said many times before, Republicans have absolutely no sense of irony.
telcta

Post by telcta »

When you work at a place for a short time can you collect unemployment benefits equaling that amount of time or longer? My brief Google search shows that it depends on the circumstances if you can collect unemployment at all when fired but wasn't clear on length of unemployment. I'm sure benefits differ wildly by state.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

telcta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 am When you work at a place for a short time can you collect unemployment benefits equaling that amount of time or longer? My brief Google search shows that it depends on the circumstances if you can collect unemployment at all when fired but wasn't clear on length of unemployment. I'm sure benefits differ wildly by state.
I don't intend to be unemployed long enough to collect. Also, I was technically fired for cause. I think the cause was bullshit, and I'm reasonably sure I could win on appeal, but that's time and trouble to collect the paltry sum unemployment would pay me for working 4 months. The same goes with suing the bastards. I'd have to go thru arbitration and the damages I would be able to show would be negligible because I intend to be working somewhere else next week.

Hopefully I can keep hold of this next job better. I think the lesson I learned is to take a deep breath before I commit to a major course of action that will expose my source of income to disruption.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:42 pm Hopefully I can keep hold of this next job better. I think the lesson I learned is to take a deep breath before I commit to a major course of action that will expose my source of income to disruption.
Just as a point here (not to kick you while you're down), the conversation you're about to have with a prospective employer is going to be very different now - the dynamic. Instead of you currently being employed in a shitty job and you're looking for a better opportunity, now you're someone that just got fired from a shitty job and you're looking for a lifeline.

You can't fix that, but you need to be prepared to address it during an interview. And at the risk of pointing out the obvious, trashing your former employer during the interview is not a good idea. Figure out what you're going to say and how you're going to answer any questions related to that job now, not in the moment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:19 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:42 pm Hopefully I can keep hold of this next job better. I think the lesson I learned is to take a deep breath before I commit to a major course of action that will expose my source of income to disruption.
Just as a point here (not to kick you while you're down), the conversation you're about to have with a prospective employer is going to be very different now - the dynamic. Instead of you currently being employed in a shitty job and you're looking for a better opportunity, now you're someone that just got fired from a shitty job and you're looking for a lifeline.

You can't fix that, but you need to be prepared to address it during an interview. And at the risk of pointing out the obvious, trashing your former employer during the interview is not a good idea. Figure out what you're going to say and how you're going to answer any questions related to that job now, not in the moment.
I don't have to say anything. I was there for three and a half months and it would look WORSE listing that then just saying I was unemployed. Its not like three and a half extra months of space on the ol resume is going to look better then listing a job where I worked intensely for a short period of time. It may show up on my background if I were to apply to any banking jobs, luckily I'm not.

Besides getting fired for refusing to open solo a week after getting robbed and having the cops never show up...That's a reason I think people could, if not get behind, at least understand.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:17 pm Besides getting fired for refusing to open solo a week after getting robbed and having the cops never show up...That's a reason I think people could, if not get behind, at least understand.
Do note that there wasn't a single person here who thought you handled that well. I'd strongly suggest against trying to take the moral high ground.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msduncan wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:13 am Ok it’s long overdue that someone in here fess up. This is a parody/troll account. Who created it? Hepcat? RunninngMn9? Confess!

🤨
There’s no mention of Bea Arthur, Paste Pot Pete, the Monte Cristo sandwich, or my wondering out loud why JeffV hates the Amish, so you should know it’s not me.

Trust me, I’m as incredulous as you that it’s not a stupid attempt at humor on my part.
Covfefe!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The reason to include it is that it would allow you to discuss that experience during the interview itself. I would think you could spin the "I took leadership in an unsafe situation and stood by my convictions rather than just follow marching orders from the owner," in a positive light.

But in all things in life, you''ve gotta do you.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:17 pm Besides getting fired for refusing to open solo a week after getting robbed and having the cops never show up...That's a reason I think people could, if not get behind, at least understand.
It's best not to depend on getting sympathy from interviewers.
Zarathud

FIRED!

Post by Zarathud »

The spin is that you were able to take increasing responsibility until the expectations went too far. That you were able to handle the uncertainty and stress and overtime, and enjoyed it, until it was clear they thought they could pressure you into working alone in an unsafe situation. Very shortly after being robbed at gunpoint.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 pm The spin is that you were able to take increasing responsibility until the expectations went too far. That you were able to handle the uncertainty and stress and overtime, and enjoyed it, until it was clear they thought they could pressure you into working alone in an unsafe situation. Very shortly after being robbed at gunpoint.
Honesty is on your side if you're applying at a place that doesn't get robbed at gunpoint. Which, one hopes, you are. I think that's better than going back to Square Zero and pretending you didn't have the job.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:36 pm
Zarathud wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 pm The spin is that you were able to take increasing responsibility until the expectations went too far. That you were able to handle the uncertainty and stress and overtime, and enjoyed it, until it was clear they thought they could pressure you into working alone in an unsafe situation. Very shortly after being robbed at gunpoint.
Honesty is on your side if you're applying at a place that doesn't get robbed at gunpoint. Which, one hopes, you are. I think that's better than going back to Square Zero and pretending you didn't have the job.
This. There is no reason to go into extensive details. I'd just say "after the 3rd time I was robbed at gun point, I decided it wasn't for me". (Or whatever the final tally was. For me, once would have been enough. :) )

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:28 pm The reason to include it is that it would allow you to discuss that experience during the interview itself. I would think you could spin the "I took leadership in an unsafe situation and stood by my convictions rather than just follow marching orders from the owner," in a positive light.

But in all things in life, you''ve gotta do you.
Yes but would that reason actually outweigh the whole "I got fired" thing in the first place? Also no employer wants to hear "I stood by my convictions rather then follow orders" from an interviewee. No way that parts gonna fly. I know enough to know that's a bad bad idea.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You may be right. It's been a while since I worked a position where "just following orders" would be the expecation.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 pm You may be right. It's been a while since I worked a position where "just following orders" would be the expecation.
I think we are at different spots in our careers. :D I need to find a "take orders" job to build the skills I'll need for "think for yourself' job. I think I'll just show up to the job interviews I scheduled, smile, nod, and try to seem agreeable as possible. Maybe somewhere down the line, when I am EXTREMELY well established, I can afford to tell interviewers about how I was fired. Till then, Smile and nod.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 pm You may be right. It's been a while since I worked a position where "just following orders" would be the expecation.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:00 am
You're going to hell Isg.

:lol:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Who needs to mention being fired? You were robbed at gunpoint, they expected you to put yourself at more risk, so you needed to do something less insane.

Stay far, far away from explaining yourself. You will suck at it. Any interviewer who wonders why you’re not wanting to work after having a gun pointed in your face will be someone you’re not going to be able to work for.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:22 pm Who needs to mention being fired? You were robbed at gunpoint, they expected you to put yourself at more risk, so you needed to do something less insane.

Stay far, far away from explaining yourself. You will suck at it. Any interviewer who wonders why you’re not wanting to work after having a gun pointed in your face will be someone you’re not going to be able to work for.
It might be reasonable to bring up the broken alarm button, too.

But make it short and avoid any righteous fury, indignation, or mentions of convenience store mutiny.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 pm
Zarathud wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:22 pm Who needs to mention being fired? You were robbed at gunpoint, they expected you to put yourself at more risk, so you needed to do something less insane.

But make it short and avoid any righteous fury, indignation, or mentions of convenience store mutiny.
All you should say about the matter...
I enjoyed my job but the risks of working alone at night in a convenience store outweighed the benefits.

End story. 7-11 may be a shit company for worker safety but I don’t think an employer really cares enough to count it in your favor. I assume you’re not interviewing with another company requiring you to work alone in an environment where you may be robbed?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seriously, if you don't want to end up totally screwed in the future, your #1 priority should be finding a job with the purpose of building up a work history, something you can be at for several years without getting fired or suing anyone.

Money, prestige, respect - you may not find that, and it doesn't matter. Jobs that give that probably won't hire you. You have to earn the reputation (on paper) that will get those jobs to let you in the door.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Haven't we explained that to him over and over for the last decade or so?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:30 pm Haven't we explained that to him over and over for the last decade or so?
I know. And I'm still not convinced this isn't all just a game for the jollies for him.

And yet when I see people with a problem, I still try to help. Even if it is wasted. You never know - something he hears now could be the spark that makes a difference a decade from now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And there's always the lurkers.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And the people that find this discussion in a search years from now.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:56 pm
Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:30 pm Haven't we explained that to him over and over for the last decade or so?
I know. And I'm still not convinced this isn't all just a game for the jollies for him.

And yet when I see people with a problem, I still try to help. Even if it is wasted. You never know - something he hears now could be the spark that makes a difference a decade from now.
I do read and listen. I did take a struggle job. It wasen't easy. I brought a positivity and warmth to every day I went in. I loved about every minute of it but the physical threat was just too much.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I hope you find one that makes you just as happy.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:54 pm I hope you find one that makes you just as happy.
I will. I love working, learning the job and doing better at it then everyone else. I did that at the former job. l'll do that at the next one. If my previous employer taught me ANYTHING it's that I am capable of excelling at anything I work harder then hell at. And I love working harder then hell because that gets me extra hours and that gets me money which gets me coins.

Ps horrible image. Bad bad BAD image. Ugly image and doesen't capture the majesty of the coin.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Speaking of. The woman bust on morgan dollar actually bears a shocking resemblance to my mother when she was about my age.

Slightly softer nose, softer chin and much firmer jaw area and that's mom.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 am that gets me money which gets me coins.
So you just replaced your substance(s) addiction with a coin addiction?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:08 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 pm

All you should say about the matter...
I enjoyed my job but the risks of working alone at night in a convenience store outweighed the benefits.

End story. 7-11 may be a shit company for worker safety but I don’t think an employer really cares enough to count it in your favor. I assume you’re not interviewing with another company requiring you to work alone in an environment where you may be robbed?
This, this 1,000x this. And IMO, that's ONLY if it comes up. Don't bring it up, but if they do and ask about it, SAY AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Else you risk "going off" since it's such a recent event, and you're probably still emotional about it.

Personally I am 50/50 on whether or not it should even show up on any resume you give them. I can definitely see the benefit of leaving it off and pretending it didn't happen.

I guess if it's a typical hiring situation they will ask:
1. Are you working right now? If so, where?
2. If not, what was your last job and why did you leave?

But these days, who knows, the hiring market is insane with just finding warm bodies to work being difficult apparently. It's certainly the best time to be you (in terms of employment)! :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Go be a restaurant dishie.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:29 am
Drazzil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 am that gets me money which gets me coins.
That's a good point. I really sounds like he's looking everywhere for something to 'make' him happy, which is a futile pursuit.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:28 pm
That's a good point. I really sounds like he's looking everywhere for something to 'make' him happy, which is a futile pursuit.
In fairness, he is not unique in this pursuit as the self help section at any library/bookstore will show.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nope, but it can be done in a harmful manner (and I could write a book on examples from my own life.)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

No. Not really. I can walk away from coins I want. Do it all the time. Coins will always be there.