Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: In the middle of a seventeen hour shift paying holiday double hourly

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:35 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:46 pm Words to live by:

I dake it till I make it.
So either polka or wander about in a daze or fog till I make it. Sounds about right.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do you have someplace where you can pick up Lawrence Welk on the tv set?

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

After today's 14.5 hours it'll only be another 4 hours of regular work before everything else I do this week is overtime @ 1.5 which is gonna be 24.75. Even if I only do the required hours. No covering, no "hangout" shift, no coming in on my weekend to do special projects or to cover for a quit or a callout.

And if I were a betting man I'd wager on my doing at least 8, maybe as high as 17-18 tomorrow, and then another 8 on tuesday.

And then my weekend starts, my wednesday usually involves sleeping till the cats wake me, taking my time to wander in for my hangout session workday till 2-3 then going to the coin shop to see if anything on my watch list camè in.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Thursday is do stuff for/with the cats day.

So I devote the day to feeding the cats special foods, playing with them, talking to them and generally making sure that they feel like the center of the universe.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were supposed to be days off. This did not happen as crises kept me covering and then someone quit and someone else had a car accident.

More then 80 hours this week and 60 hours next week minimum.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Between getting what I want at the coin shops and working a job I seem to really like has me in hog heaven. I never had a job I don't mind. That really has me in a good place.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How’s the retirement account looking?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:21 am How’s the retirement account looking?
Yep that's the *next* thing I need to look into
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:21 am How’s the retirement account looking?
If you're speaking of the coin collection, I don't collect for money. I collect for things that look "cool".

I purchased a set of US mint coins from a reputable dealer that I *think* based on some pretty extensive research that I could, at the most extreme conservative end get what I paid for it immediately back and if what e bay and ampex tells me is true, make 4-5 hundred on it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dad (the coin collector) had the attitude that you collect them to have fun not to make money. With that kind of outlook you can't lose. If he found an expensive coin he'd sell it to buy other coins he liked.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:39 am
If you're speaking of the coin collection, I don't collect for money. I collect for things that look "cool".

I purchased a set of US mint coins from a reputable dealer that I *think* based on some pretty extensive research that I could, at the most extreme conservative end get what I paid for it immediately back and if what e bay and ampex tells me is true, make 4-5 hundred on it.
It'ss hard to believe that a reputable dealer would be selling coins for $400-500 lower than APMEX. Unless you're talking mid-5-figure + coins.

Not that it's impossible so congrats on a deal.

I buy a tube of new silver eagles every year but not a fan of the new type 2s. Only bought type 1s last year, debating whether to bother in 2022.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:34 pm

It'ss hard to believe that a reputable dealer would be selling coins for $400-500 lower than APMEX. Unless you're talking mid-5-figure + coins.

I buy a tube of new silver eagles every year but not a fan of the new type 2s. Only bought type 1s last year, debating whether to bother in 2022.
Wellll. I bought a 2014 W 3 gold coin set w OGP for 1900. The coins all seem to be in pristine condition. When the sets pop on e bay, the lowest I ever saw it was 2k, and the listing disappeared in 2 hours. On AMPEX the whole set retails for 2400-2600.

Even just melt value on the gold itself is 1550 as of yesterday. And there's next to zero chance it's fake as I had it appraised by a diff dealer the very next day. I did my homework.

From what little he told me they had sat in his safe long enough for him to forget he had em till he looked. I think he was grateful to have them off his hands.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Here's the long and short of it: I'm paying for everything in cash, and I have/had a shopping list that's within a paycheck or two of being complete. By next thursday I will have "paid" my bank acct back for 90% of my purchases total.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I'm only scheduled for 48 hours this week The chances are I will do 60 minimum.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:57 pm Here's the long and short of it: I'm paying for everything in cash, and I have/had a shopping list that's within a paycheck or two of being complete. By next thursday I will have "paid" my bank acct back for 90% of my purchases total.
I figure that this is a lot more healthy habit then going clubbing once a week and running up a 150 dollar tab. I wanted the 2016 set since I saw it at a coin gallery in Redlands in 2016. The last thing on my hit list is a 2016 kennedy half in gold, and a few silver pieces. I may be involved in folly, but at least I'm paying for that folly in cash.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:57 pm Here's the long and short of it: I'm paying for everything in cash, and I have/had a shopping list that's within a paycheck or two of being complete. By next thursday I will have "paid" my bank acct back for 90% of my purchases total.
I figure that this is a lot more healthy habit then going clubbing once a week and running up a 150 dollar tab. I wanted the 2016 set since I saw it at a coin gallery in Redlands in 2016. The last thing on my hit list is a 2016 kennedy half in gold, and a few silver pieces. I may be involved in folly, but at least I'm paying for that folly in cash.
It's way better than spending at the club. Numismatic gold and silver is solid.

Keep some.savongs in cash though. Work up to 4 or 5 months of living expenses in straight cash. Then you can pour all extra cash into investments.
Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:37 pm

Wellll. I bought a 2014 W 3 gold coin set w OGP for 1900. The coins all seem to be in pristine condition. When the sets pop on e bay, the lowest I ever saw it was 2k, and the listing disappeared in 2 hours. On AMPEX the whole set retails for 2400-2600.

Even just melt value on the gold itself is 1550 as of yesterday. And there's next to zero chance it's fake as I had it appraised by a diff dealer the very next day. I did my homework.

From what little he told me they had sat in his safe long enough for him to forget he had em till he looked. I think he was grateful to have them off his hands.
Assuming you meant 2016? That's a great deal.

OGP is meaningless though, you can buy a full set of boxes for $20..
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:22 am
According to their site 7-11 offers a 401K plan. Check to see if they match your donations - a lot of employers will match the first few percent. IF they do that's free money you're passing up.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:54 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 pm
It's way better than spending at the club. Numismatic gold and silver is solid.

Keep some.savongs in cash though. Work up to 4 or 5 months of living expenses in straight cash. Then you can pour all extra cash into investments.
Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:37 pm

Assuming you meant 2016? That's a great deal.

OGP is meaningless though, you can buy a full set of boxes for $20..
Yeah I think its the 2016 set I absolutely adore the set and I want to hang onto it for the rest of my life
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

By chance Lawbeef did you buy an extra 2021 morgan and peace set you would be willing to part with?
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:59 pm
According to their site 7-11 offers a 401K plan. Check to see if they match your donations - a lot of employers will match the first few percent. IF they do that's free money you're passing up.
This! If you do nothing else, do this. Plus, as the stock market goes up, it's even more free money that's growing for you.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Aliasbuck wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:00 pm
This! If you do nothing else, do this. Plus, as the stock market goes up, it's even more free money that's growing for you.
Absolutely. Any match is free money
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They didn't have that or health care or paid vacation when I was there, but I was at franchise store and didn't work for Southland directly.
Drazzil

Re: Need to job hop quick!

Post by Drazzil »

So. I was robbed along with a few co workers on that 7 to 11 shift. This is fine. I am used to it. What I wasn't use to was the robbery alarm not working. The cops never showed.

Now my regional manager is starting to insist that employees work their shift SOLO if necessary. Dropped the notification on me in the middle of a shift.

No.

Not happening. I filled out a form indicating that I was in fact refusing a direct order to open the store, stating for safety concerns I was refusing unsafe work. Followed up this report by stating that I believed such policy was unsafe and that I would and will be contacting OSHA on monday.

I'm cooked with 7-11. The writing is on the wall and I no longer wish to stay. Quick, list some jobs that my skills could transfer to!!

:wub:

Edit for: This isin't IMMEDIATELY true, but any time you disagree with a boss and an employer and tell them you're calling the govt on them, friendly employment seems to be out the window. My DM and Mgr seem understanding but that's what they *have* to say. I'd rather keep the money train rolling so I can keep the coins coming in.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:pop:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Are there any settings on your dial besides 1 and 10?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:13 pm Are there any settings on your dial besides 1 and 10?
ROFL
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:31 pm Quick, list some jobs that my skills could transfer to!!
Plaid Pantry.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The writing is on the wall and I no longer wish to stay. Quick, list some jobs that my skills could transfer to!!
I felt like that at times when I was in the army too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:13 pm Are there any settings on your dial besides 1 and 10?
I daresay if someone stuck a gun in your face and robbed you and then the cops never showed up period even though you hit the silent alarm like sixteen times you'd be pretty sour on the job too. Its not the getting robbed part that I can't handle. Its the cops not showing up, then a few days later have my bosses boss decree that I have to work alone, even if help never shows up. That shit I can't handle.

17.50 an hour isn't worth that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Having been burglarized one summer in college and had some of my stuff stolen, to the degree I am capable of sympathizing with you, I do.

I think my issue is how you jump to "I'm calling OSHA". I can tell you that reports given by disgruntled employees aren't given the attention you might think. Which isn't to say a busted silent alarm is fine by any means. As a manager in the store, how can you get that fixed so your employees don't have the same problem in the future? Or is it easier to just yell and quit?

Why are they saying you need to work alone? Did others quit and they can't get you replacement help? I can totally understand the safety issue here. But again, as a manager, they hired you to (hopefully) come up with a plan, not knee-jerk respond without thinking.

Again, I'm not trying to minimize what happened to you here - I'm sure it was traumatic, even if you say it was NBD. I'm just not sure how you go from what you've been reporting on this job (they love you, they want you around, you love it) to THIS IS AN OUTRAGE and you're gone. That's...not healthy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Not to minimize the safety issues but how you handled this is incredibly dumb. You can't seem to break that habit of self destructing.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 am Not to minimize the safety issues but how you handled this is incredibly dumb. You can't seem to break that habit of self destructing.
Meh.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:09 am Having been burglarized one summer in college and had some of my stuff stolen, to the degree I am capable of sympathizing with you, I do.

I think my issue is how you jump to "I'm calling OSHA". I can tell you that reports given by disgruntled employees aren't given the attention you might think. Which isn't to say a busted silent alarm is fine by any means. As a manager in the store, how can you get that fixed so your employees don't have the same problem in the future? Or is it easier to just yell and quit?

Why are they saying you need to work alone? Did others quit and they can't get you replacement help? I can totally understand the safety issue here. But again, as a manager, they hired you to (hopefully) come up with a plan, not knee-jerk respond without thinking.

Again, I'm not trying to minimize what happened to you here - I'm sure it was traumatic, even if you say it was NBD. I'm just not sure how you go from what you've been reporting on this job (they love you, they want you around, you love it) to THIS IS AN OUTRAGE and you're gone. That's...not healthy.
The alarm was tested. I mis spoke. The police never showed up when I hit the burglary alarm. The alarm was fine, the police were called, they never showed up. They called two hours later.

Then two days later the word comes down from my bosses bosses boss, that even if someone calls off, the person remaining needs to work alone.

This is incredibly dangerous and flies in the face of everything I have observed and the rules I've followed so far.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Labor is still a seller's market and you now have retail experience with management overtones. IDK anything about your locality, but around here you could find a management-track clerking job at a less-robby store pretty easily. You do, however, need a good reference, so maybe invoking the wrath of god isn't your best move.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Now you know the reason for your rapid rise.

There are other retail options but burning down your current job before finding new ones was self-destructive move. It would have taken a week to get out cleanly, I bet.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:31 pm Quick, list some jobs that my skills could transfer to!!
I'm sure there are quite a few jobs your skills would transfer to. Your temperament won't though.

I really do think you should talk to someone about things like this before you make any decisions. A trained therapist is a great resource for helping you understand things about yourself that you should change or just work on. Do you have any sort of health insurance that covers mental health available to you? Barring that, there should be free resources available to help you in your area.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You can handle being robbed but the real problem is the police not showing up?

Think about it. In a near perfect scenario scenario they show up in 5 minutes. Pretty much a given that any crooks are gone by then. More likely they show up in 30 minutes or so. At that point they aren't there to stop the robbery or protect you. They are there to take a report to add to the crime stat database.

The fact that you are fine with the robbery is a valuable trait for working at 7-11. The fact that you rage quit because the police didn't show up to take some notes is self-sabatoge.

This is a problem with the police, not 7-11. We have the same problem here. Not enough beat cars, slow to no response time and terrible clearance rates. Take it up with the police or the city that is slashing staff.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Also the type of criminal to hit a 7-11 is likely to be a repeat offender. Eventually they’ll get tape showing their face and an id.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I'm sorry I flew off the handle yesterday guys. For what its worth, i invoked a process that will take a while to sort out. My mgr backs me. Hell even my DM backs me.

I'm sorry for going back to old me. New me has this.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Agree with LB. It’s a bit weird that you are ok with being robbed (!) but freak out bc the cops didn’t show up to file the 876th robbery paperwork that month?

Are you sure that’s what’s really bothering you here? I literally don’t know, but it might be worth doing 15m deep dive within yourself to really think that through.

What I do know is that we humans OFTEN get very upset at things we assume are the problem, when we are actually upset at something else.

Semi-related: a wise, Argentinian Jesuit once taught me that when you find yourself at 11 on the angry scale, those are the times you should stop, try to calm down and really focus on WHAT is making you that angry. Many times it’s a truth that we don’t want to admit is true…often about ourselves.

No idea if that is the case here, but something to consider. I’ve personally found that yo be the case more than a few times in my life.