Timberborn - A city-building game featuring ingenious animals

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Timberborn - A city-building game featuring ingenious animals

Post by jztemple2 »

WYBaugh wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:00 pm Hey JZ. I really enjoy your posts so please keep them coming. I've been excited about Timberborn but the bad water thing sounds kinda...bad?
The badwater/badtides was something added to give more challenge to the game. I'm playing right now on Easy so the effects are lessened. This is my first game with them so it's a learning experience. Be aware that badtides and badwater can both be turned off in the options when starting a game.

Badwater
Badwater exists on all twelve of the default maps. On my current beginner's map it flows out of the ground in one corner and meanders around the map. The concept of badwater is that it is one of the leftovers from the now-extinct humans (or "hoomans" as the beavers like to call them), toxic water.
Enlarge Image

Badwater is bad because it poisons the ground and prevents anything from growing. It also makes your beavers sick. The effect spreads out several squares away from the badwater, just like "good" water irrigates the land nearby. On this map the badwater is off to the side and doesn't really influence my early and mid-game growth. Badwater on the map like the image shown above comes from underground sources which can be capped.

However, there is one thing (at least one that I've found) that's good about badwater, you can make explosives from it. Those explosives are used to cut into the ground for various purposes, like canals. So there are things you can build that allow you to produce a usable extract from badwater to make the explosives.

Badtides
Badtides are something I haven't experienced yet, but from the patch notes I've deduced that instead of getting a periodic drought that cuts off the water source(s) and dries up any rivers for some amount of time, instead the "good" water is replaced with badwater for, again, some period of time just like a drought. And since it flows from the same sources as the good water, it will flow through those areas where you are using the water to irrigate, to power water wheels, etc. So you will be facing some contamination for awhile until the badtide stops and the good water returns.

You can mitigate the effects of badwater. For instance, once you have metal, you can build contamination barriers. This prevent the contamination from reaching any farther.
Enlarge Image

However, you also have to remember that for some amount of time you won't be able to draw water from the river for drinking, showering, etc. So you'll have to plan ahead for that. As I said, in this game I've yet to see a badtide so when I do I'll take a lot of screenshots and post some more info.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Thank you! Reading and watching your various threads you have me looking at way too may games. The Workers & Resources looks really interesting as well
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Apparently I own this but have 0 hours played.

Is there a tutorial to walk you through all of this?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:23 pm Apparently I own this but have 0 hours played.

Is there a tutorial to walk you through all of this?
Yes, the game does hold your hand for a while at first, giving you goals to accomplish and generally instructing you on how to basically play the game. After a while it does let you proceed on your own. There is an Easy difficulty setting and three Beginner maps so it's not going to kill you off if you don't play absolutely perfectly. I'm doing Easy on one of the beginner maps right now and it's almost too easy, but then it is a good learning situation.

Speaking of learning, I built two floodgate complexes so when the badtide comes I can divert it:
Enlarge Image

To make sure it works I diverted the regular river flow down this side channel to test it out after closing the main channel downstream floodgates to keep some water in the main channel.
Enlarge Image

Oops! I didn't build enough levee walls and I let the flow come in too fast:
Enlarge Image

Well, that's going to need to be mopped up! I've closed off the floodgates to the side channel and diverted the water flow back to the main channel...
Enlarge Image

...unfortunately I've left the downstream main channel floodgates closed :grund: . I quickly opened those downstream gates but it took a few hours for things to dry out.
Enlarge Image

Everything is fine now, I just need to pay more attention to all the floodgates :roll: .
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm reading them as well. I've had my eye on this for a while.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Timberborn tends to not release in dribs and drabs but as noted, does major updates. Since they just did Update 5 it will be some months before they add new stuff or change stuff around, so it's pretty stable right now. It's why I decided to jump back in.

My industrial complex. Four water wheels and a windmill feed five sawmills, two smelters and a paper factory. There are also two gravity batteries connected as well.
Enlarge Image

Better look at the gravity batteries, first with all the platforms and steps needed to build them, then with those removed since there is no maintenance in the game (yet! :ninja:)
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Uh-oh, badtide approaching in three days.
Enlarge Image

Everything ready? I have levees on my diversion channel:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

And there it is, badtide started
Enlarge Image

Oh dear:
Enlarge Image

And I sent it down the diversion channel:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

What's going to happen next? See the following post :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is bad, I didn't build the levee walls high enough.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

There is too much flow for the diversion channel, I've closed the floodgates there to half and opened the floodgates so the badwater flow will go down the main channel. Meanwhile it's a mess out there. The badwater has even flowed into my lake.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Meanwhile the badwater in the main channel has washed over some of my plants and trees.
Enlarge Image

But it's all not bad news. The badwater that spilled out of the diversion channel has very little depth where it flooded and it dries pretty quickly.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally, after a day, the badtide is over.
Enlarge Image

The good water returned and starts flushing out the badwater
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

In the end almost everything is OK. I have one lakeside shower that is still contaminated because of the badwater that spilled into the lake. And I have eighteen beavers who are "ill", they aren't showing the effects yet but soon will be, thankfully I've built up a stockpile of antidotes. The contamination barriers on the main channel have prevented any long term damage to my crops and trees. I'll raise those levee walls some more and be prepared for the next... BADTIDE :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My new dam complex. Droughts are now lasting for three days and during the last one I ran out of water in the main channel after a day. These new floodgates are holding back a lot of water I can use to replenish the main channel through my city. The tricky part is avoiding sending a massive wave and flooding thing!
Enlarge Image

In case you were wondering, on Easy droughts can last 2-4 days, on Normal 5-9 days :?, on Hard 15-30 days :shock:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Is there any way to store water to prepare for droughts?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:08 pm Is there any way to store water to prepare for droughts?
Yes, that's in the post I made just above. I've added floodgates to trap water upstream of my colony. Where the pool of water was entering on the map at a depth of about 0.5, I've now held it back with floodgates till it is at a depth of about 2.5. That's stored water for use in a drought.

You can also added small, medium and large storage tanks for water or any other liquid, but the use of floodgates on the river is much more effective.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thank goodness there are no frictional losses in gear trains :wink:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've cut off the badwater river on my map. I capped one source and put a Badwater Rig on the other which allows me to take badwater for the making of explosives and extract
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

During a drought is a good time to get a look at how many buildings are being powered. All those red circles (33) represent a building needing power:
Enlarge Image

And how much power am I using? This screenshot, with all powered buildings enabled, shows the demand and the supply. Look to the box in the upper right.
Enlarge Image