Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Post by Zaxxon »

This one time, at band camp, I plugged into a 15A 120V outlet on a road trip. In over 70 hours charging across 5 nights at our destination, I only got 200 measly miles of range back. BEVs are clearly not road-trippable.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:35 am Hours at each place, lol. Just stop, Kasey. You clearly don't know what you're talking about here.
Fine, 90 minutes, if you find one of the higher level chargers... provided someone else isn't using it, it's working, it takes YOUR payment card, and not blocked by some truckbro who decided to ICE the charger.

Or someone who just randomly decided to come and unplug you (though I do understand most Tesla plugs are locking).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No, not 90 minutes, either. I can count one hand the number of times it's been even 60 minutes, out of literal hundreds of DCFC sessions. 30 minutes is high.

Believe me, as you can see across the history of this thread, I'm all for explaining how much better Tesla's network is, but your descriptions are selling even Electrify America short. There are issues on the other networks, and you might find yourself waiting to charge sometimes, but it's not as prevalent as you make it sound. Not by a long shot.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think it also depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles don't take to high amperage charging, low-end of Level 2, even though they're sold as Level 2 capable vehicles. I don't think we're that far apart, and yes, I'm a bit more pessimistic about the future of BEVs.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:05 am I think it also depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles don't take to high amperage charging, low-end of Level 2, even though they're sold as Level 2 capable vehicles. I don't think we're that far apart, and yes, I'm a bit more pessimistic about the future of BEVs.
You're really only talking about the Bolt and the Leaf. Even then the Bolt can go from 10%-80% in 45 minutes and charges at 50 kW - which is so low that every other car will unplug and try to find a better charger. I've never driven a Leaf, but given the unique connector, I'd never be brave enough to road trip it.

The Mach E charges up to 150 kW and when I've road tripped it, the only time I stop for more than 30 minutes is when we are eating and the food takes longer than that. And by newer car standards, even 150 kW is slow.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're going to need a new car within the next year. Probably will be the last new car we ever buy, so it needs to last 10+ years (like all of our other cars). I'd like to go electric and will see what's available when we're ready to shop. But right now, my impression is that there aren't a whole lot of models to chose from, they're wicked expensive, and the technology isn't quite mature yet -- battery advances are still coming pretty regularly and I'd worry about my 2024 model being obsolete by 2035. Add that to the confusion about various charging types and their spotty availability, and...I just dunno if we'll be ready to make that leap. I'm open to the possibility, though. I want an EV. Just not convinced that they're really ready for prime time yet.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:33 pm I want an EV. Just not convinced that they're really ready for prime time yet.
Especially if you eventually move yourself out to the boondocks for the farm life.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:39 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:33 pm I want an EV. Just not convinced that they're really ready for prime time yet.
Especially if you eventually move yourself out to the boondocks for the farm life.
Yeah, where we live will define what kind of car/truck we need We're probably going to be rural, but there's no scenario where we're far from civilization.

Here's a possibly naive question: Are all EVs 4WD/AWD? (Because why wouldn't they be?)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:46 pm
Yeah, where we live will define what kind of car/truck we need We're probably going to be rural, but there's no scenario where we're far from civilization.

Here's a possibly naive question: Are all EVs 4WD/AWD? (Because why wouldn't they be?)
No.

Why? Because 1 motor is cheaper than 2 and AWD is hardly necessary.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:53 pm

No.

Then that will further narrow the range of EVs we can consider. We're going to be living amidst mountains, and it snows there.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:55 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:53 pm

No.

Then that will further narrow the range of EVs we can consider. We're going to be living amidst mountains, and it snows there.
Not all are AWD, but many are. Speaking as someone who lives amidst rather large mountains, AWD from electric motors is teh bomb, y'all.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:54 am On the home stretch last night :"This was our best road trip ever." "I totally agree."

Enlarge Image
Repost for Kasey’s Krazy Hot Take.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:53 pm No.

I am super excited to get AWD when I buy my next car. Necessary? No. But we do have the occasional snow storm here and AWD helps.
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:40 pm Not all are AWD, but many are. Speaking as someone who lives amidst rather large mountains, AWD from electric motors is teh bomb, y'all.
Yes. I'd say that more EVs are available in AWD than ICE versions. I will definitely be getting AWD and most, if not all EVs have an AWD version.

I'd also mention that Kraken does not appear to be a roamer. Unless that changes he's going to be charging at home 99% of the time, which will be more than enough for trips into town and back.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It should also be noted that EVs are significantly heavier than their ICE counterparts which can help even the one motor versions do well in inclement weather.

Also, the Berkshires has a surprising number of Level 3 chargers being installed and plenty once you get an hour away in any direction.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:39 pm I'd also mention that Kraken does not appear to be a roamer. Unless that changes he's going to be charging at home 99% of the time, which will be more than enough for trips into town and back.
I almost brought this up earlier, in a response to Kraken's comments about the BEV space still being very much under rapid development. While I agree with that, I'm not sure how relevant it is in these specific circumstances. If you're going to buy a car, and today's specs easily meet your requirements, and you plan to keep that car for a long time (which I believe Kraken does), then what advancements happen in the next several years are largely immaterial.

If you're buying to hold for a couple years and then resell, that's a different story.
telcta

Post by telcta »

We visited the Bershires for the first time last year and the Marriott we stayed at had a couple of free chargers and across the street was a bank of Tesla superchargers that weren't completed. It was nice seeing all the options in that remote area for charging.

I'd suggest Kraken get the Ford F-150 Lightning so he can power his house in case of an outage. Although the Ford is a lot larger than a Miata.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

telcta wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:01 pm I'd suggest Kraken get the Ford F-150 Lightning so he can power his house in case of an outage. Although the Ford is a lot larger than a Miata.
That would be a hilarious transformation, and pics of the old and new vehicle next to one another would of course be required.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

telcta wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:01 pm I'd suggest Kraken get the Ford F-150 Lightning so he can power his house in case of an outage. Although the Ford is a lot larger than a Miata.
Q: when would I be most uncomfortable emptying the battery of my EV?
A: when the power was out at my home.

Initially I liked that option from the Lightning (though it also requires a pretty extensive installation of their charger, power a Lightning owner I spent a few days with in October), but that trick really seems geared towards running tools at a job site.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Meal wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:20 pm
Q: when would I be most uncomfortable emptying the battery of my EV?
A: when the power was out at my home.

Initially I liked that option from the Lightning (though it also requires a pretty extensive installation of their charger, power a Lightning owner I spent a few days with in October), but that trick really seems geared towards running tools at a job site.
It comes with the option to set a buffer that it won't eat into. So you could set it to 30% and use it to that point.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:03 pm
That would be a hilarious transformation, and pics of the old and new vehicle next to one another would of course be required.
Oh, I'll be keeping my Miata. We need to replace Wife's 14-year-old Fit, which is our practical car. And she does take long road trips once a month or so. She's in the Berks right now (150 miles away) and intends to make regular trips back to Boston after we move.

Berkshire County is a lefty/liberal area with a lot of money, so it doesn't surprise me that charging stations are common out there. Used to be a lot of Priuses, now it's Teslas everywhere.
mori

Post by mori »

Be interested on what you have to say about his take on EVs and the future.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tl;dw?
mori

Post by mori »

He is basically arguing that BEVs are carbon monsters because of the exotic raw materials needed to manufacture, and that green energy is not used when you charge the vehicle. Also goes on about not having enough raw materials to bring BEV to a national level. Then the electrical infrastructure in the US is from the 1950s and cannot support a national BEV fleet and it will take decades to get it to that level. I think that is an accurate paraphrase. He also goes on to say that they simply don't sell and most manufacturers are pulling back plans to expand electric vehicle development and manufacture.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All of those ideas have been debunked time and again. They still persist with alarming frequency, though.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zeihan wrote two books that prominently talk about the importance of the US/Canadian shale oil industry. It's not a huge surprise he is spreading disinformation like this.

Edit: Just watched the video and it's...disappointing. It's crazy to talk about the slowdown in EV plans without considering the interest rate environment/cost of money. Also, he talks about the present state clean energy mix like it's static forever and not like we've only started a huge investment in green energy. Even if I did not think he has an agenda it's an analysis with some serious gaps.

I mean then he talks about how he thinks it'd take a century to scale up industry for the materials. Ok. I sort of tuned out after that statement to be honest so maybe he said something smart but I doubt it as he started talking about high costs, range anxiety, and charging stations. It's mostly re-hashed bullshit.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:39 pm

I'd also mention that Kraken does not appear to be a roamer. Unless that changes he's going to be charging at home 99% of the time, which will be more than enough for trips into town and back.
How do we know he doesn't take that Miata to the Tale of the Dragon? :lol: I think I would. :dance:

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
mori

Post by mori »

I was just curious as Zeihan does have his psychophants that will beat down any dissent with his teachings. But I do have serious concerns about the energy infrastructure in the US.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:01 am No, not 90 minutes, either. I can count one hand the number of times it's been even 60 minutes, out of literal hundreds of DCFC sessions. 30 minutes is high.

Believe me, as you can see across the history of this thread, I'm all for explaining how much better Tesla's network is, but your descriptions are selling even Electrify America short. There are issues on the other networks, and you might find yourself waiting to charge sometimes, but it's not as prevalent as you make it sound. Not by a long shot.
I just fast charged at an EA station a few days ago, and 20%-80% was done in a half hour. Painlessly.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:49 pm Zeihan does have his psychophants
If you changed sycophants to psychophants deliberately, I like it. And if you didn't, it's my job to scold you. :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:44 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:01 am No, not 90 minutes, either. I can count one hand the number of times it's been even 60 minutes, out of literal hundreds of DCFC sessions. 30 minutes is high.

I just fast charged at an EA station a few days ago, and 20%-80% was done in a half hour. Painlessly.
A dino burner can go from 0-100% in under 10 minutes, so that's not painless on our scale. We Luddites don't want to spend half an hour filling up.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

A half-hour is pretty far outside the norm, based on my road-tripping. (Details of that experience are linked above.) And over the months I don’t spend road-tripping, well… We Sparkies don’t want to spend _any time_ filling up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I put the math somewhere way back in this thread or another, but I calculated that even if you do 5k miles road-tripping in a (competent) BEV each year like I do, you still spend less time fueling up over the course of a year in an EV vs a gas car.

And less money, too.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah don't forget the fact I have NEVER waited fueling my BEV up. Literally zero time waiting. Balance that against the odd get out and walk around during a road trip and it shouldn't seem that bad. My wife has to make sure she leaves time to get gas before some event. How about you take my car honey?

Bonus, I have very close to never touched a fueling device handle that someone else has used in the process of fueling my BEV.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:44 pm All of those ideas have been debunked time and again. They still persist with alarming frequency, though.
This. I come across these videos semi-regularly, and the comments are filled with exclamations about how the batteries are rare and exotic materials requiring mining. Because fossils just bubble to the surface and convert themselves into fuel that you can then turn on a faucet to access for free. It's mind boggling.

Power grids are some of the most efficient ways of powering anything, and despite still using coal in many places, are heavily augmented by wind and hydro-electric, with future expansion being more and more green.

I'm not an expert on any of this, but even the most rudimentary investigation of the two types of power shows some obvious differences that make these videos nonsense. I don't look for EV vs Gasoline, I look for electric grid vs fossil fuels (and yes coal is a fossil fuel so it impacts both sides of the equation).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:52 am
Zaxxon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:44 pm All of those ideas have been debunked time and again. They still persist with alarming frequency, though.
This. I come across these videos semi-regularly, and the comments are filled with exclamations about how the batteries are rare and exotic materials requiring mining. Because fossils just bubble to the surface and convert themselves into fuel that you can then turn on a faucet to access for free. It's mind boggling.
And the logic errors are compounded, since even if this were true, fossil fuels are dug up, refined, distributed, consumed, and then effectively gone forever. The components that make up BEV batteries will [likely]* be recycled again and again, and used for the next several decades at minimum.

* - I say 'likely' here, even though I view it as 'certainly,' since we're still in early days of BEV battery recycling.
stessier

Post by stessier »

In case anyone wants to see more about recycling, I thought these vids were pretty good. First one describes how to get the black mass. Second explains what to do with the black mass.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:05 am First one describes how to get the black mass. Second explains what to do with the black mass.
This will never work in America. Christianity is too embedded in our culture.
stessier

Post by stessier »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:09 am
stessier wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:05 am First one describes how to get the black mass. Second explains what to do with the black mass.
This will never work in America. Christianity is too embedded in our culture.
*rimshot*
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:15 am *rimshot*
It's ok. You can boo if you want to.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 am
A dino burner can go from 0-100% in under 10 minutes, so that's not painless on our scale. We Luddites don't want to spend half an hour filling up.
I charge 95% of the time at home and rarely have to use a public charger. I have saved so much time not having to fuel a car that the extra few minutes when I do fast charge hardly put a dent in it.