Jaymann

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by Jaymann »

So if we get:

1. Michigan
2. Bama
3. Georgia
4. Cincy

It would mean Michigan gets Cincy in the first round with an excellent chance to meet the survivor of Bama/GA 2 in the championship game.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I would guess they will put Bama at #1 or UGA #4 to avoid the rematch.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I am thinking:

1. Bama
2. Mich
3. UGA
4. Cincy
Last edited by Lassr on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Is there a compelling reason to avoid the rematch?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

JCC wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:06 am I would guess they will put Bama at #1 or UGA #4 to avoid the rematch.
That is what I imagine will happen.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:15 am Is there a compelling reason to avoid the rematch?
If it happens in the championship game then fine, but back to back, no thank you.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I made a nice little haul yesterday taking the $$ of my Georgia relatives and my brother. I pocketed a $100. I rarely put money on the line for games but I saw this result coming a mile away. I tried to prepare my brother after Alabama beat Auburn but he was convinced that game showed Alabama would have no chance. It told me the opposite.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 pm BYU undefeated vs the Pac-12 :cry:
Trust me, they remind us of that every. single. day.

You'll have to drill down, but this is hilarious!

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

BYU in the weed eater bowl...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Snert
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lassr wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:13 am I am thinking:

1. Bama
2. Mich
3. UGA
4. Cincy
You nailed it!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:46 pm
Lassr wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:13 am I am thinking:

1. Bama
2. Mich
3. UGA
4. Cincy
You nailed it!
99% of punditry had no Bama/UGA matchup in the first round.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I am of course in no way biased on the topic, but I probably would have swapped Alabama and Michigan. Alabama had a stronger schedule overall, but Michigan's loss was better and I think the final 2 weeks for Michigan outshone the final 2 weeks for Alabama. Of course, I might have also bumped Georgia down to 4 and moved Cincinnati to 3 which would have ended up with the same matchups anyway.

I'm guessing Young locked up the Heisman on Saturday, which leaves us to guess who else gets invited. I'm thinking Stroud, Hutchinson, and Walker, although his star seems to have faded down the stretch. Would be neat to have 3 Big Ten guys there, but I haven't been paying super close attention to the race.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As expected, Miami fired Manny Diaz today. Mario Cristobal from Oregon is expected to take that job.

Good.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Woo hoo! We’re going to the Duke’s Mayo Bowl!
LOL

Similarly amusing: Beef O’Brady and Tony the Tiger bowls were also on the menu.

When will Tampax, Trojan, Marlboro and Astro-Glide get bowls? MOAR. BOWLS11!!!!!! Every hole gets a bowl!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:31 pm Woo hoo! We’re going to the Duke’s Mayo Bowl!
LOL

When will Tampax, Trojan, Marlboro and Astro-Glide get bowls? MOAR. BOWLS11!!!!!! Every hole gets a bowl!
My friend (Auburn fan) was at the Iron Bowl and sat next to the rep from Duke Mayo bowl and asked him "are we going to the Duke Mayo Bowl?"
Rep said either Auburn or South Carolina.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

He wasn’t wrong!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:31 pm Woo hoo! We’re going to the Duke’s Mayo Bowl!
LOL

North Carolina vs. South Carolina playing for Duke's. :think:
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeeeeeeeee-hawwwwwwww!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:27 pm As expected, Miami fired Manny Diaz today. Mario Cristobal from Oregon is expected to take that job.

Good.
ESPN
Oregon lost three commitments on Monday after it was announced Mario Cristobal was no longer the Ducks' head coach. ESPN 300 offensive tackle Kelvin Banks, quarterback Tanner Bailey and linebacker T.J. Dudley all announced they were no longer committed to Oregon.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kayvon Thibidaux also declared for the draft before the bowl game.

Will OU-Oregon have any players left to play in the Alamo bowl?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There are lots of rumors from the Utah side that with Cristobal bolting, Oregon LB Noah Sewell may want to come back to Utah and play next to his brother next year. That’d be a hell of a replacement for our current all-everything LB Devin Lloyd, but may just be wishful thinking.

Also lots of rumblings that DE Gabe Reid from Stanford might be headed Utah’s way. He entered the portal yesterday, and is one of Britain Covey’s best friends and brother of one of Utahs current backup LBs.

If we could somehow land both of those dudes… :shock:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:35 am I'm guessing Young locked up the Heisman on Saturday, which leaves us to guess who else gets invited. I'm thinking Stroud, Hutchinson, and Walker, although his star seems to have faded down the stretch. Would be neat to have 3 Big Ten guys there, but I haven't been paying super close attention to the race.
I got 3 of 4 right. Swap out MSU RB Kenneth Walker III for Pitt QB Kenny Pickett. Pickett appears to have the gaudy numbers to justify his inclusion, but I don't really know anything about him. It'd be nice to get more than 3 QBs and a token defensive player on the final list, but that's what the award seems to be these days. On the plus side, it's amusing seeing how upset MSU fans are that Walker got snubbed while Hutchinson made it. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Seems like a weird hire for such a high profile job. But wait…

:lol: Strong work, Oregon.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:

Seems like a weird hire for such a high profile job. But wait…

Image Strong work, Oregon.
All the buzz is that this is now confirmed.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:49 pm All the buzz is that this is now confirmed.
In an off-season of big coaching moves and massive salaries, and coming off what I can only assume was one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory, this is a really weird hire. Not that he’s necessarily bad (I know nothing about him), but bringing in a guy with zero head coaching experience and no ties to the west coast? A guy whose name I hadn’t heard mentioned as a serious candidate for any other high profile job? It’s just…strange and seems like a huge risk. I can’t imagine Ducks fans are thrilled about this hire.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. I’d love for Oregon who wallow in mediocrity for a while (and yes, I know that a strong Oregon program is better for the conference).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thought I heard that he had coached for Oregon previously. Can't remember tho.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:23 pm Thought I heard that he had coached for Oregon previously. Can't remember tho.
From Wiki:
Dan Lanning (born April 10, 1986) is an American football coach and a former player. He is the head football coach at the University of Oregon. Lanning served as the defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach at the University of Georgia from 2019 to 2021.

Lanning played college football at William Jewell College as a linebacker from 2004 to 2007. Prior to his tenure at Oregon, he held various assistant coaching positions at Park Hill South High School in Kansas City, Missouri, the University of Pittsburgh, Arizona State University, Sam Houston State University, the University of Alabama, the University of Memphis and the University of Georgia.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

As a Tennessee fan and supporter, this is a hire that can be dangerous. Hiring someone to a high profile and successful program without prior head coaching experience can easily backfire. Ask us Tennessee fans how that worked for our program.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:46 am
Gotta love East Coast bias. Given *everything* Utah Coach Whittingham has had to navigate this year, he's the guy in my book. Kudos to Big Blue tho - great seasons by both coaches.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:19 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:46 am
Gotta love East Coast bias. Given *everything* Utah Coach Whittingham has had to navigate this year, he's the guy in my book. Kudos to Big Blue tho - great seasons by both coaches.
Can I offer you a map?

Seriously, though, you could make an argument for a number of coaches (Luke Fickell belongs in the conversation, too). Harbaugh, though, had just taken a hugely restructured contract (salary cut in half with minimal buyout), had completely lost fan confidence, and was considered likely to be canned if things didn't improve dramatically after last year's debacle. He remade his coaching staff and led Michigan to the CFP coming off of a 2-4 season. It's hard to argue against that.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Let's see, two players killed by gunshots, a 1-2 start and then taking Utah to its first Conference Championship and Rose Bowl ever?

vs a team which has won multiple Nattys finally making the playoffs, but with marginal adversity off the field.

I appreciate what Harbaugh, Fickell et al have done on the field, but it's the off the field tragedy and how Coach Whittingham guided the program, and aided the entire University which really stands out to me. The on-the-field achievements are comparable (I can even see the arguments that Mich/Cincy are more noteworthy), but it's the tragedy off the field which puts Whitt over the top for me.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I would agree, but I'm not exactly unbiased here. :)

One strike against Whit is his decision to not start Cam Rising from the get-go, which led to the 1-2 start. I do get why he did it (Brewer brought a ton of experience from Baylor and Rising's surgically repaired shoulder wasn't quite ready to go at the start of the season), but that decision likely cost Utah a chance at the CFP this year.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

First of all, can we please retire calling national championships "Nattys"? God, I hate that term. It's almost as bad as calling touchdowns "Tuddies".

Second, I acknowledged that multiple people have good arguments for it, and I really have little interest in comparing resumes to see who is more deserving. I'm not going to try to downplay what Whit did to try to prove a point. There are 130 or so teams in FBS, and you'll almost always be able to argue that multiple coaches are deserving of the honor. Diminishing Harbaugh's win as "East Coast Bias" is just silly, though. (Maybe Midwest Bias?)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:17 pm First of all, can we please retire calling national championships "Nattys"? God, I hate that term. It's almost as bad as calling touchdowns "Tuddies".
Fortunately I have never heard either term and hopefully never will.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I think Harbaugh got the nod because Michigan was not supposed to be even good based on pre-season polls. And let’s face it, the B10 is a much tougher conference than the Pac12.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:17 pm First of all, can we please retire calling national championships "Nattys"? God, I hate that term. It's almost as bad as calling touchdowns "Tuddies".

Second, I acknowledged that multiple people have good arguments for it, and I really have little interest in comparing resumes to see who is more deserving. I'm not going to try to downplay what Whit did to try to prove a point. There are 130 or so teams in FBS, and you'll almost always be able to argue that multiple coaches are deserving of the honor. Diminishing Harbaugh's win as "East Coast Bias" is just silly, though. (Maybe Midwest Bias?)
Fair enough. Tho my real pet peeve nowadays is the color commentary "easy pitch and catch".

That needs to go on the banned list!

JCC

Post by JCC »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:55 pm
Fortunately I have never heard either term and hopefully never will.
Yes, I have never, ever heard either terms. Had never read them until your post. I think you may secretly be working for them!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor