NCAA Football 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by Hrothgar »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:52 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:50 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 am Glad to see Saban seems to be the kind of college FB coach with the kids and their future as top priority.
Ask former Michigan State players about that.

It was a torn ACL. It's more like "not even Saban would send a kid back out there with a torn ACL."
Younger Saban may have been different but while at Alabama there has not been one peep about him not caring about the players, their health, or their careers.
His superior recruiting depends on the continued perception of being a pipeline to the NFL. Not even a national championship is worth risking that. That's just the cynical side. I presume he actually cares about his players as well.

Bill O'Brian I'm not so sure. I'm just being mean because of the mess he left in Houston. It was satisfying to see him cursing in frustration again, but this time it wasn't hurting the team I was rooting for.

Congrats Dawgs.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:45 pm
Lassr wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:17 am Hate Bama lost but it was a a huge plus just being in the championship game this year with all the freshmen and injuries. Losing the 2 top receivers though just couldn't be overcome.

I'll take it for a rebuilding year! Losing still sucks but Georgia was the better team all year except for that one game.
Eh, Metchie's loss was in the SEC Championship. With a month to work with the replacement 4/5 star WR's Bama has, I don't see this as too much of a factor. Williams is more impactful because it happened during the game, but honestly, it was Georgia's pressure all game on Young which limited Bama's offense more than the WR injuries IMHO.

SEC folks - I didn't watch the SEC Championship, but did Georgia blitz that often in the first game? I'm thinking no, because their blitz package last night was incredibly efficient all game and all the reports indicated that Young had an extremely clean pocket and all day to throw in that game. He definitely didn't last night.
There is a huge difference between giving experienced players more looks and sliding roles around, and expecting freshmen receivers with little experience to run their routes precisely and run the right routes, etc. When Devonta Smith emerged to the nation in the 2nd and 26 game as a freshman, he had played a decent amount all year (plus he's one of the best route runners naturally that I've ever seen).

With Metchie and Williams out, we just had no experienced receivers outside of perhaps one. That makes it tough, especially going against the best defense in the country. Also it's worth noting that we lost our two feature running backs in fall camp to injuries. Brian Robinson was never meant to be a feature back -- he's the change of pace guy.

Also, Billingsley has been a colossal disappointment. Reports from reliable sources (and some insider beat writers) is that he never bought into the process and system. HIs dad was even on record being upset at his son for not doing what was asked of him. He could have been a difference maker in that game, but all season he's been a complete dud. Glad he's in the transfer portal.

One last thing: O'Brien needs to go, and he needs to take our OL coach with him. I'm rooting for the Jags to make the wrong decision and hire him today.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Someone handed Nakobe Dean a 2021 Alabama Championship hat after the game. The look on his face when he realizes it is hilarious. :lol: :lol:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:42 pm Someone handed Nakobe Dean a 2021 Alabama Championship hat after the game. The look on his face when he realizes it is hilarious. :lol: :lol:
LOL, that has been going around on my social media. Someone opened the box that is now destined to a impoverished country where fans of teams that don't win championships can visit and live the what if...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:45 am
One last thing: O'Brien needs to go, and he needs to take our OL coach with him.
Agree, although he didn't do terrible, he didn't put us in the best situations too often. A few videos out there from (might be Klatt) explaining how BOB redzone offense Monday night was horrendous.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msduncan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:45 am There is a huge difference between giving experienced players more looks and sliding roles around, and expecting freshmen receivers with little experience to run their routes precisely and run the right routes, etc. When Devonta Smith emerged to the nation in the 2nd and 26 game as a freshman, he had played a decent amount all year (plus he's one of the best route runners naturally that I've ever seen).

With Metchie and Williams out, we just had no experienced receivers outside of perhaps one. That makes it tough, especially going against the best defense in the country. Also it's worth noting that we lost our two feature running backs in fall camp to injuries. Brian Robinson was never meant to be a feature back -- he's the change of pace guy.
One of the things that was painfully reinforced during the Rose Bowl is just how insanely talented and deep the top level teams really are.

When the two All American receivers for tOSU decided to sit, they simply lined up two new 4* guys in their place. By comparison, Utah had to start a RB at corner on a few weeks practice because we simply had no other options. Predictably, he got absolutely torched.

The level and depth of talent that never really even sees the field at programs like Bama, tOSU, Michigan, GA, etc is just amazing. It allows them to come out on top against teams like Utah, but can really be the difference maker when they square off against each other.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:07 pm
msduncan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:45 am There is a huge difference between giving experienced players more looks and sliding roles around, and expecting freshmen receivers with little experience to run their routes precisely and run the right routes, etc. When Devonta Smith emerged to the nation in the 2nd and 26 game as a freshman, he had played a decent amount all year (plus he's one of the best route runners naturally that I've ever seen).

One of the things that was painfully reinforced during the Rose Bowl is just how insanely talented and deep the top level teams really are.

When the two All American receivers for tOSU decided to sit, they simply lined up two new 4* guys in their place. By comparison, Utah had to start a RB at corner on a few weeks practice because we simply had no other options. Predictably, he got absolutely torched.

The level and depth of talent that never really even sees the field at programs like Bama, tOSU, Michigan, GA, etc is just amazing. It allows them to come out on top against teams like Utah, but can really be the difference maker when they square off against each other.
With time, like the gap before a bowl game, it probably makes a huge difference. But when there is an in-game injury to a skilled position where the backups haven't received a lot of snaps the timing and experience just isn't there. I have always wondered how programs like Alabama can keep all those players happy (maybe they can't as Bama has 7 players in the portal) and why they don't play more guys in the blow out games to give them snaps.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:52 pm
With time, like the gap before a bowl game, it probably makes a huge difference. But when there is an in-game injury to a skilled position where the backups haven't received a lot of snaps the timing and experience just isn't there. I have always wondered how programs like Alabama can keep all those players happy (maybe they can't as Bama has 7 players in the portal) and why they don't play more guys in the blow out games to give them snaps.
Many see the benefits of being patient and stick around until their time and others just know they probably will not see the field and leave.

And I do agree with your "play more in blowout games". I mean, they get to play but 90% of the plays are running plays because Saban doesn't like to run up the score if he can help it, but that really hurts the receivers because they are not getting any work unless there is a 3rd and long. I always wished they would keep calling the regular offense so the backup QB and receivers can get better experience. That issue really showed this year.

Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:52 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:07 pm

The players in the portal right now are leaving exactly for the reason you mentioned. They have stayed a couple years and have seen no playing time. There are many that do wait their turn and earn playing time by their Junior year when injuries occur or people leave early. Coach Saban tells recruits that they can fight for playing time and earn it -- but they are fighting against the best. He makes no guarantees. That pitch is exactly what got Julio Jones to come (our first big recruit). He told him he wasn't going to promise him playing time. Julio states that other coaches were promising him the world, and Saban told him that Alabama would win without him, but they would love to have him.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

https://footballscoop.com/news/dont-exp ... ytime-soon

Don't expect the College Football Playoff to expand anytime soon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Harsin rumored to have pulled a Bobby Petrino, and could be a one & done at Auburn?
Auburn football head coach Bryan Harsin could potentially be one-and-done down on The Plains if he is fired for cause.

Not only are the Tigers coming off a mediocre 6-7 season, a down year on the recruiting trails and one coordinator after another running for the hills after just one season, Harsin could be ousted if rumors of an extramarital affair are true. While it remains to be seen what Auburn will do about this potentially emerging scandal, Harsin’s wife Kes went to Instagram and sent out this message.

“Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:21 pm Harsin rumored to have pulled a Bobby Petrino, and could be a one & done at Auburn?
Auburn football head coach Bryan Harsin could potentially be one-and-done down on The Plains if he is fired for cause.

Not only are the Tigers coming off a mediocre 6-7 season, a down year on the recruiting trails and one coordinator after another running for the hills after just one season, Harsin could be ousted if rumors of an extramarital affair are true. While it remains to be seen what Auburn will do about this potentially emerging scandal, Harsin’s wife Kes went to Instagram and sent out this message.

“Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
:pop:

Black Lives Matter