NCAA Football 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:00 pm Auburn's new coach has improved the team on a weekly basis. While it is still very unlikely, I wouldn't be shocked if Auburn was able to upset Alabama this year. But if Bama and Georgia win out and Bama beats Georgia in the SEC Championship game, it's hard to imagine that both of them won't be included in the CFP. Which makes the fight for those last two spots REALLY interesting.
Remember that Bama has not looked very good in their True Road Games. Barely beat Florida, lost to Texas A&M, beat Miss St. @ Auburn is going to be tough on them, IMHO.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Quite the ruckus at Washington after head coach Jimmy Lake was caught on camera smacking and pushing a player on the sideline after a mistake. Looks like they're going to buy out his contract and send him packing.

Hugh Millen, former team captain & Washington QB, stated on 950 KJR that UW is buyout negotiations with coach Jimmy Lake.
I suspect this is an excuse to simply cut ties and move on, as Lake doesn't seem to have head coaching chops. I was really hoping UW could do Utah a favor and take down ASU on Saturday so we could have a chance at clinching the P12 South, but I'm guessing UW plays with even less of a pulse than they have been. Bummer.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Michigan escapes against Penn State. If Ohio State handles Purdue will they face Michigan for the Big 10 championship?

I looked it up and OSU plays Michigan State next week then Michigan the week after that. Could be some great games.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good hell, Utah damn near blew it as a 24.5 point favorite against a 1-9 team (1-20 in their last 21) who was playing their 3rd string QB. We looked like an absolute mess today (had yet another punt blocked for a TD, which makes 3 on the year...WTF??) but managed to close things out in the last 5 minutes with a long TD drive. It doesn't give me a ton of confidence going into next week, but Utah is notorious for losing WTF games like that in years past. Whittingham's "November Curse" has been a running joke for a long time, so...progress? :?

Magic number is down to 1. Need to win one of our last two against Oregon and Colorado (both at home), or have ASU lose a game to wrap up the P12 South.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:34 pm Michigan escapes against Penn State. If Ohio State handles Purdue will they face Michigan for the Big 10 championship?

I looked it up and OSU plays Michigan State next week then Michigan the week after that. Could be some great games.
If Ohio State beats Michigan and Michigan State then they will likely play Wisconsin for the title of Big 10 champs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would have loved to come in here if Arizona beat Utah.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:18 am I would have loved to come in here if Arizona beat Utah.
Arizona is definitely trending in the right direction. They've played a number of ranked teams close this year (Utah, BYU, and Oregon...through 3.5 quarters) and they've got lots of fight, although not a ton of talent. Fisch was a good hire and they'll be back in the mix within the next couple years. i don't hold nearly the animosity for AZ as I do for ASU, and would love to see them turn it around in Tucson.

In other news, Kansas just beat Texas in OT...in Austin. Apparently the Kansas fan(s?) were chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC". :lol:

And stupid Washington completely forgot how to tackle so Utah still hasn't clinched. :evil:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

SEC Shorts was hilarious this week:

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:lol: :lol:

Lake officially out at Washington. They paid him $9.9 million to leave after less than two years...oof.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:55 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:18 am I would have loved to come in here if Arizona beat Utah.
Arizona is definitely trending in the right direction. They've played a number of ranked teams close this year (Utah, BYU, and Oregon...through 3.5 quarters) and they've got lots of fight, although not a ton of talent. Fisch was a good hire and they'll be back in the mix within the next couple years. i don't hold nearly the animosity for AZ as I do for ASU, and would love to see them turn it around in Tucson.

In other news, Kansas just beat Texas in OT...in Austin. Apparently the Kansas fan(s?) were chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC". :lol:

And stupid Washington completely forgot how to tackle so Utah still hasn't clinched. :evil:
Sark is just killing it in Texas! ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ll be at the game when #23 Utah plays #3 Oregon tonight. Should be a fun one, and might be the biggest regular season game in Utah history.

However, Utah finds itself in the very weird spot where a win might actually hurt their chances of getting to the Rose Bowl.

- If Utah wins, they clinch the P12 South and a spot in the CCG game, most likely a rematch against Oregon. However, it would also knock Oregon out of the #3 spot in the playoff rankings. Which means that Utah would need to beat them twice in two weeks to get to the Rose Bowl (once today and once in the CCG). That’s a tall order.

- if Utah loses today, they can still clinch the South next week against CU at home (definitely not a guaranteed win, but pretty likely) or an ASU loss (also not likely) Beating a ranked team would strengthen Oregon’s playoff resume and keep them in the #3 spot. When Oregon and Utah meet in a couple weeks for the CCG, a win would automatically send Utah to the Rose Bowl, but a loss probably would too. Because Oregon would go to the playoff, so Utah would be the likely replacement.

All of that is meaningless though, and I guarantee that Whit will have the team ready to play tonight. FPI puts Utah as a 62% favorite, which I think is insane. I doubt we win tonight (defense is still too young), but I do think we give Oregon a pretty good game, then get them in the rematch in a couple weeks.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If Utah wins it will be interesting to see if Cincy gets in.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, I turned on Oregon - Utah to check the score and it is over at half time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow Cincy may get in.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got home from the game. Um...wow. :shock: Absolutely did not expect that, but it was damn fun. Probably the loudest game I've ever been to.

Whit becomes Utah's all-time winningest coach. Tavion Thomas smashes the Utah single season rushing TD record. Largest crowd in Rice-Eccles stadium history. Highest ranked team to ever play here, and Utah absolutely dominates them.

Pretty good night. 8-)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Just got home from the game. Um...wow. :shock: Absolutely did not expect that, but it was damn fun. Probably the loudest game I've ever been to.

Whit becomes Utah's all-time winningest coach. Tavion Thomas smashes the Utah single season rushing TD record. Largest crowd in Rice-Eccles stadium history. Highest ranked team to ever play here, and Utah absolutely dominates them.

Pretty good night. 8-)
Nice win! I didn't think Oregon would win that game, but I did not expect them to get pummeled like that.

In other news, Oregon is now in a must win situation in the Civil War next weekend just to make the Pac-12 Championship game. Wow.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That had to be a fun win for UCLA too! I know USC is really down, but that was a serious ass-kicking. Points allowed by USC in their home games this year: 42, 45, 42, 34, 62. Thats…not good.

In other news, Florida fired Dan Mullen today. Unsurprising.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Short of a couple big losses I don't expect Cincy to get in. Granted, I wouldn't mind that happening.

Also, I expected Utah to win last night. Oregon hasn't really looked good in any game other the the OSU win. OSU would beat them by 35 now.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:11 am I’ll be at the game when #23 Utah plays #3 Oregon tonight. Should be a fun one, and might be the biggest regular season game in Utah history.

However, Utah finds itself in the very weird spot where a win might actually hurt their chances of getting to the Rose Bowl.
This is a similar situation to what UNC was in last year. If they had beaten ND, ND wouldn't have made the playoffs and would instead go to the Orange Bowl. But since UNC lost and ND got in the playoffs, UNC got to go to the Orange Bowl. It speaks a bit to the wonkiness/stupidness of the bowl system that losing can result in a better outcome.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:00 am It speaks a bit to the wonkiness/stupidness of the bowl system
So does the fact that almost every team goes bowling. We were 2-8 last year and bowl eligible! That’s messed up IMO, and totally cheapens the whole idea of ‘going bowling’

Everybody gets an ‘A’! :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:58 am
If you can generate ad/tv revenue, you get an 'A'.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

On the plus side, the Big Ten East is coming down to Michigan-OSU on Saturday, as God intended.

On the negative side, I'm going to spend all week convincing myself we actually have a chance only to see us get curb stomped again.
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:00 am It speaks a bit to the wonkiness/stupidness of the bowl system
So does the fact that almost every team goes bowling. We were 2-8 last year and bowl eligible! That’s messed up IMO, and totally cheapens the whole idea of ‘going bowling’

Wasn't that COVID related last year? They needed to fill bowl slots.

I've never fully understood the issue with "too many bowl games". Oh no! More free football for me to watch during the holidays!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am On the plus side, the Big Ten East is coming down to Michigan-OSU on Saturday, as God intended.

On the negative side, I'm going to spend all week convincing myself we actually have a chance only to see us get curb stomped again.

I've never fully understood the issue with "too many bowl games". Oh no! More free football for me to watch during the holidays!
See above: it cheapens what was supposed to be something special
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:43 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am On the plus side, the Big Ten East is coming down to Michigan-OSU on Saturday, as God intended.

See above: Oh no! More free football for me to watch during the holidays!

:P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Heartbroken to hear of the death of longtime Alabama football columnist Cecil Hurt. When you wanted real insightful news about Alabama, you looked to Cecil. When you wanted to check out some wild rumor about Alabama sports, you looked to Cecil. When you wanted a laugh you looked him up on Twitter.

He covered Paul Bryant when he was fresh out of college in the early 80s. He covered Perkins, Stallings, all the failed dark ages coaches, Shula, and finally Saban. He was witty, objective, and honest.

Rest in peace Cecil.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:43 am Heartbroken to hear of the death of longtime Alabama football columnist Cecil Hurt. When you wanted real insightful news about Alabama, you looked to Cecil. When you wanted to check out some wild rumor about Alabama sports, you looked to Cecil. When you wanted a laugh you looked him up on Twitter.

He covered Paul Bryant when he was fresh out of college in the early 80s. He covered Perkins, Stallings, all the failed dark ages coaches, Shula, and finally Saban. He was witty, objective, and honest.

Rest in peace Cecil.
Yep, huge loss to journalism. He told it like it was whether you wanted to hear it or not. He was the Bama beat writer but he didn't sugar coat anything. Pure professional and will be missed.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sorry to hear that Alabama peeps!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ugly win is still a win. Holding a team to 148 total yards of offense is pretty impressive, even if our offense sputtered and our special teams - which had been so good for so many years - continue to be an abject disaster (one FG blocked, gave up a kickoff return for a TD). My guess (hope?) is that this game was simply the combination of a hangover from last week and looking forward to next.

P12 title game awaits…hoping third time’s the charm.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:43 pm

It's always been that way. You had the elite bowls and the lesser consolation bowls. The elite bowls were for football. The lesser bowls were for the fans, students, and athletes/band/cheer squad.

The Championship cheapened the elite bowls somewhat and blurred the lines between the elite and consolation bowls.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ohio State at Michigan with national championship berths on the line. And it's snowing in The Big House, does it get any better than this?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I pulled up the fight, and a football game broke out.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Michigan just went up 28-13 and is looking dominant. Fun game so far.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Michigan looking really good. Why do I still think that they are going to lose?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn Michigan. Everyone in the stadium knows the run is coming, and they’re still ripping off massive chunk yards on every attempt. Very impressive way to close out the game.

That’s definitely a good way to get off the coaching hot seat.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Harbaugh finally gets off the snide. This is why he turned down NFL jobs.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Michigan has dominated and they deserve this win.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Michigan won because I didn't start watching until the middle.of the 3rd quarter.

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:34 pm Harbaugh finally gets off the snide. This is why he turned down NFL jobs.
He actually smiled after the game. I didn't know he could smile.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am sure my old man (who loves Ohio State) is probably somber now, but really, it's better for the rivalry for Michigan to win today. I think Michigan is hard pressed to find a coach better than Harbaugh, so I am glad he has gotten that monkey off his back. I was pretty surprised they won but good for them.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit, Bama. :shock:

If that Auburn RB had simply gone down in bounds, we’d be looking at a completely different playoff picture right now.