NCAA Football 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by stessier »

This could be interesting. It's a government announcement, so I copied the whole thing.

NLRB General Counsel Jennifer Abruzzo Issues Memo on Employee Status of Players at Academic Institutions
Office of Public Affairs
202-273-1991
publicinfo@nlrb.gov
www.nlrb.gov

September 29, 2021
Today, National Labor Relations Board General Counsel Jennifer Abruzzo issued a memorandum to all Field offices providing updated guidance regarding her position that certain Players at Academic Institutions (sometimes referred to as student athletes), are employees under the National Labor Relations Act, and, as such, are afforded all statutory protections.

The memo further advises that, where appropriate, she will allege that misclassifying such employees as mere “student-athletes” and leading them to believe that they are not entitled to the Act’s protection has a chilling effect on Section 7 activity and is an independent violation of Section 8(a)(1) of the Act.

“Players at Academic Institutions perform services for institutions in return for compensation and subject to their control. Thus, the broad language of Section 2(3) of the Act, the policies underlying the NLRA, Board law, and the common law fully support the conclusion that certain Players at Academic Institutions are statutory employees, who have the right to act collectively to improve their terms and conditions of employment,” said General Counsel Abruzzo. “My intent in issuing this memo is to help educate the public, especially Players at Academic Institutions, colleges and universities, athletic conferences, and the NCAA, about the legal position that I will be taking regarding employee status and misclassification in appropriate cases.”

Recent developments bolster General Counsel Abruzzo’s position, including: the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent unanimous decision in NCAA v. Alston, that recognized that college sports is a profit-making enterprise, rejected the NCAA’s antitrust defense based in the notion of amateurism in college athletics, and expanded permissible types of education-related compensation that had been limited by the NCAA, such as payments for tutoring or scholarships for graduate or vocational schools; and the Players’ recent collective actions about racial justice issues and demands for fair treatment, as well as for safety protocols to play during the pandemic, which all directly concern their terms and conditions of employment.

This new memo also reinstates a related one, GC 17-01, which had been rescinded in December 2017.

Established in 1935, the National Labor Relations Board is an independent federal agency that protects employees, employers, and unions from unfair labor practices and protects the right of private sector employees to join together, with or without a union, to improve wages, benefits and working conditions. The NLRB conducts hundreds of workplace elections and investigates thousands of unfair labor practice charges each year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So I guess if players are no longer student athletes and they are employees, then you can forgo scholarships, pay them a salary, if they want to go to class they can pay their own way, and if not it doesn't matter because they are employees. They can play as long as the university wants to keep them under contract or until they can find a better offer (NFL, CFL for football). It is a scary situation to me. If that's how it can work, how many kids will not go to class and when their football is over then they have nothing to fall back on if they do not make it to the next level.

That may be an exaggeration of what will happen but it may not also. I have no idea what the future holds but I think college football is going to change...A LOT.

Not sure how smaller programs survive, which means less kids getting an opportunity to advance themselves in life.

edit: hmmm, I doubt scholarships would go away as that is a compensation that has monetary value but very little money going to the player but then would the player have to pay tax on the value of the scholarship since they are employees...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Aaaaaaaaand…the Pac-12 is out of the playoffs again.

Le sigh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lassr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:47 am So I guess if players are no longer student athletes and they are employees, then you can forgo scholarships, pay them a salary, if they want to go to class they can pay their own way, and if not it doesn't matter because they are employees. They can play as long as the university wants to keep them under contract or until they can find a better offer (NFL, CFL for football). It is a scary situation to me. If that's how it can work, how many kids will not go to class and when their football is over then they have nothing to fall back on if they do not make it to the next level.

That may be an exaggeration of what will happen but it may not also. I have no idea what the future holds but I think college football is going to change...A LOT.

Not sure how smaller programs survive, which means less kids getting an opportunity to advance themselves in life.

edit: hmmm, I doubt scholarships would go away as that is a compensation that has monetary value but very little money going to the player but then would the player have to pay tax on the value of the scholarship since they are employees...
Players now are basically on year to year contracts based on the whim of their current coach. Face it, most players will never be pros so the degree has meaning to them. Yes, things will change, but maybe it is time for a change.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Aaaaaaaaand…the Pac-12 is out of the playoffs again.

Le sigh.
Eh, I'd argue that Oregon and ASU are still alive. Maybe even Oregon St. This is going to be a season where most teams in contention have at least one loss. Ask me again at the end of October.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Even if ASU controlled the line of scrimmage in the game, there was one highlight - I got a high five from Jaime Jaquez as the hoops team walked the aisle!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After the passing of Ty Jordan and the murder of Aaron Lowe (who both wore 22), Utah will be retiring #22. Coach Whit hopes it's permanent, I'd be surprised if it weren't.

Whittingham says there will not be anyone wearing #22 in the Utah Program as long as he is coach..Hopes its permanent..
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Down goes Bama, did not see that coming. Georgia won big so I expect a leapfrog.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, yesterday was a hell of a day for college football.

OU/TX was insane, Iowa/Penn St was a nailbiter, Ole Miss/Arkansas was crazy, Bama loses, BYU loses to a mediocre Boise St at home, and Utah absolutely destroys USC at the Colosseum for the first time in over 100 years. All in all, a very good day! :)

Really proud that Utah came out and battled like that, after what they've been through over the last couple weeks (player was murdered). I had no idea how they'd respond, and they came out with a fire that I haven't seen in a while. We'll see if they can sustain it, but there were lots of positives to take from that game. Not the least of which being that we actually seem to have a QB. Rising went for over 300 and 3 TDs, and showed a ton of poise. Amazing that after dropping two straight, the Utah/ASU game this weekend has huge implications for who will take the P12 South. It's going to be another tough week, as the entire team is travelling to Texas tomorrow for Aaron Lowe's funeral. So they'll be prepping on a short week, and I'm sure that's going to weight heavy on them. Still, I'm excited to see what could happen. Tragedy sometimes has a way of focusing a team.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:16 am Down goes Bama, did not see that coming. Georgia won big so I expect a leapfrog.
Worse game I seen Bama play in a while and still had a chance to win. I'm hoping Bama has a new DC next year. He made adjustments in the 2nd half and shut down A&M but after Bama takes the leads he goes back to the defense from the 1st half and A&M marches down the field and scores. WTF! The QB Young showed he was young. Missed open receivers and when he hit them, they'd drop it. 8 drops last night. I didn't think Bama had the team to win it all this year, but didn't expect this loss to a mediocre A&M team. Although Jimbo had probably been game planning this game all year.

And I still don't know exactly what targeting is. It is such a judgemental call that can have devastating affect on the game. Needs to be like the NFL, a personal foul and 2 equals ejection.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bama has really struggled in its two true road games this year. To be expected with a young qb and a new OC. Just don't see it with Bama lately.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This was really cool!
The Ohio State Marching Band honored late RUSH drummer Neil Peart during its halftime show Saturday (October 9) at Ohio Stadium as part of Ohio State University's homecoming game against University Of Maryland.

According to Ohio State News, to help recreate Peart's sonic impact, the percussion section was expanded by 20 toms and 20 extra cymbals mounted on four racks. They were at the front of the formation and played by the band's five percussion alternates for this week.

The band blistered through some of RUSH's greatest hits, including "Red Barchetta", "Fly By Night" and "Tom Sawyer". Formations replicated Peart and RUSH guitar player Alex Lifeson, and spelled out "2112" and "YYZ", titles of RUSH songs.

After the Ohio State Marching Band tweeted out a short clip of the tribute, RUSH's official Twitter account replied "We're speechless" and added three "clapping hands" emojis.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Golf clap for whoever runs the Purdue Twitter account.

We just beat the No. 2 out of Iowa.
The crazy season continues. A bunch of ranked teams go down. Hoping that continues tonight with Utah/ASU.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:56 pm This was really cool!
The Ohio State Marching Band honored late RUSH drummer Neil Peart during its halftime show Saturday (October 9) at Ohio Stadium as part of Ohio State University's homecoming game against University Of Maryland.

According to Ohio State News, to help recreate Peart's sonic impact, the percussion section was expanded by 20 toms and 20 extra cymbals mounted on four racks. They were at the front of the formation and played by the band's five percussion alternates for this week.

The band blistered through some of RUSH's greatest hits, including "Red Barchetta", "Fly By Night" and "Tom Sawyer". Formations replicated Peart and RUSH guitar player Alex Lifeson, and spelled out "2112" and "YYZ", titles of RUSH songs.

After the Ohio State Marching Band tweeted out a short clip of the tribute, RUSH's official Twitter account replied "We're speechless" and added three "clapping hands" emojis.
That does sound cool. I was a band geek, and in one of the largest high school marching bands in the nation back in the day. Someone recently posted some pictures online from a 1979 homecoming game...I mentioned to my wife one of those specks making up the formation was me. :D We mostly played sit-com theme songs, but my favorite was Live or Let Die. The conductor wasn't all that contemporary, and really liked having us do a lot of Beatles stuff too.

We had a thunderous drum corps, though, and could have done Peart (or any drummer...back then Moon was the shit) proud.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Don't even know where to start with the Tennessee game last night. I think it was the perfect storm for what eventually took place.

Tennessee having a bit of success, sold out crowd, checkerboard the stadium, prime time game, Lane Kiffin coming back, etc etc etc.

First off, embarrassing what the fans did towards the end of the game. What ended up to be an entertaining game and a great effort by an undermanned Tennessee team is spoiled by the fans. I get it in someways, Tennessee fans are tired and angry about what has become of the program. But endangering cheerleaders, the band, players, coaches, fans is inexcusable.

On one hand, both teams had players go down on multiple occasions and it was regularly happening. But Ole Miss doing so at times when Tennessee was trying to play with tempo seems very fishy. Players would be helped off only to come back the next play. I wouldn't put anything pass Kiffin. Plus, the strip sack for a TD that was called a stop in forward progress when it really wasn't, was tough to swallow.

And finally the idiot Milton decides to run out of bounds as time expires and doesn't throw it into the end zone from the 20 yard line for the win. Us Tennessee fans are fed up. Absolutely no excuse for trashing the field and risking harming others is disgusting. That unfortunately will be what is remembered.

And let me add, F Kiffin!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Funny thing is that it's arguable that Kiffin has been the best Tennessee head coach since he was hired.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GameDay in Westwood Saturday!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rolovich apparently terminated for cause at WSU for vaccine refusal:
Nick Rolovich has been terminated by Washington State, per a university source.

Terminated for cause, along with the other unvaccinated WSU assistants.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thoughts and prayers
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Illinois just took down Penn State in NINE OT. :shock: Couldn’t be more thrilled.

I will root for Penn State to lose every game from now until the end of time, after what happened there and the slap on the wrist they received as punishment.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I loved the original "no more ties" rules of OT in CFB. I hate their overreaction to the LSU game a few years ago where they changed it to going for 2 only after 2 OTs. Silly.

Nonetheless, today was quite fun! Still a billion times better than the awful NFL OT rules.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't always watch college football, but when I do I like 9 overtimes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

It was fun, but they need to go back to the original OT rules. They overreacted to that crazy (fun) multiple OT game a few years ago.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That game was deeply stupid. I wasn't paying attention, but I looked on my phone and saw 20-18 in 9 OTs and figured the sports app was screwing up. While I wasn't a fan of the old OT format when it first came out, I've more or less come around to it. In any event, it's far superior to this stupid dueling 2-pt conversion fest.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GameDay this weekend with Walton in Westwood was fun. ImageImageImage

stessier

Post by stessier »

Inside Nick Rolovich's downfall at Washington State over the COVID-19 vaccine
...the Cougars came back to beat Stanford 34-31 for their third straight victory. Players doused Rolovich in Gatorade, and those who spoke publicly made it clear they wanted him to stay.

Within two days, Rolovich and four unvaccinated assistants, Ricky Logo, John Richardson, Craig Stutzmann and Mark Weber, were fired. It was the resolution to a saga that has divided this college town -- exemplified by Lane's heartache and Rolovich's Gatorade bath -- since late July, when Rolovich was the only Pac-12 coach unable to appear in person at media day.

This is the story of those few months and especially the chaotic final days, including never-before-told details of the battle between Rolovich and Washington State over his vaccination status.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pac-12 Teams as Halloween Candy!
One suggestion came instantly: “They’re all Kit Kat’s. Easily breakable.”

Funny … really funny … but also too easy.

To get it right — to reach the standard set by the Hotline’s twin addictions to caffeine and sugar — this exercise required deep thought and far more creativity than Washington’s running game.
Stanford: Smarties. Well past their prime. (Also: Smarties.)

UCLA: Candy Canes. One of the best, just in a different season.

USC: Three Musketeers. Looks dashing but soft on the inside.

Utah: M&Ms. No surprises. Nothing fancy. Just damn good.

Washington: Pixy Sticks. My, how they dissolve quickly.

Washington State: Milky Way. The coach was … out there.

(Sorry, Rolo was too obvious.)

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ouch, once again Harbaugh (college division) shows he can't win the big one.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:00 pm Ouch, once again Harbaugh (college division) shows he can't win the big one.
Hottest seat in the country? I’d have to think so.

Looking forward to the Utah/UCLA game tonight. After shitting the bed against Oregon State last week, Utah can take a commanding lead in the P12 South with a win. We tend to play well under the lights (and the crowd will be a little extra rowdy tonight), but we’re missing our defensive All American in the first half for a stupid targeting call last week. Should be a fun one.

Was cool to see all the P12 home teams mark their 22 yard lines in red this week to honor Ty Jordan and Aaron Lowe (the two Utah players killed in the past 9 months, both wore #22). They’re retiring the number permanently at Utah tonight…it may get a little dusty in this stadium.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

One of the best college football games I ever attended was in 1985 - Michigan at Illinois. The game was a defensive battle, and it came down to about a 40 yard FG attempt by the Chris White, the son of the coach.

He hit the cross bar. Game ended in a tie. Michigan was ranked, Illinois was not, so it was still a victory of sorts.

That night at the roving Halloween party all through campus, one guy dressed as the Ghost of Chris White. His costume was a goal post with a football taped to the crossbar. Brilliant.

Another notable thing that night...we were walking past a bar and a girl came stumbling out...and into my arms. "I just want to go home," she said. I asked "where is home?" "Ann Arbor." "Umm, that's going to be a problem." Cue the music...boom chicka wa-wa. She was cute. And fun.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Gary Patterson out at TCU, effective immediately. There has to be more to this story.

The loudest crowd I’ve ever heard in my life was when Utah scored with about a minute left to beat TCU in 2008. It was absolutely deafening.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:18 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:00 pm Ouch, once again Harbaugh (college division) shows he can't win the big one.
Hottest seat in the country? I’d have to think so.

Looking forward to the Utah/UCLA game tonight. After shitting the bed against Oregon State last week, Utah can take a commanding lead in the P12 South with a win. We tend to play well under the lights (and the crowd will be a little extra rowdy tonight), but we’re missing our defensive All American in the first half for a stupid targeting call last week. Should be a fun one.

Was cool to see all the P12 home teams mark their 22 yard lines in red this week to honor Ty Jordan and Aaron Lowe (the two Utah players killed in the past 9 months, both wore #22). They’re retiring the number permanently at Utah tonight…it may get a little dusty in this stadium.
Congrats on a great win! Our OL didn't help out our QB making his first start ever in one of the toughest places in the Pac-12, but he played ok. The Pick and the safety were huge plays (both leading to TDs for 16 points), but ultimately you also shredded our defense.

There's a lot of noise about getting rid of Chip Kelly at UCLA, but IMHO that would be really, really stupid. He does need to fire the DC tho. It's pretty obvious that both Oregon and Utah saw something on tape vs our 3rd down/red zone defense regarding QB runs, because we have gotten crushed on those the past two weeks (and the soft zone caused multiple losses last year, and the FSU loss this year).

I just see those fans as delusional about who UCLA could get who would be better, especially with the SC job open at the same time, and there have been a lot of improvements at UCLA since Chip took over. I like the trajectory we are on if we can get just a bit better at in game defensive play-calling and game-planning.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:39 pm Congrats on a great win! Our OL didn't help out our QB making his first start ever in one of the toughest places in the Pac-12, but he played ok.
I was very impressed with Garbers. That was a really loud, really hostile environment and Utah was playing with a ton of emotion after the number retirement ceremony. I don't know that you could have asked much more from a kid making his first start. He was much more elusive than I expected and made a bunch of good throws under pressure. While the pick and the safety were game-changers, I don't think either were his fault. Future looks bright there, for sure.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:09 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:39 pm Congrats on a great win! Our OL didn't help out our QB making his first start ever in one of the toughest places in the Pac-12, but he played ok.
I was very impressed with Garbers. That was a really loud, really hostile environment and Utah was playing with a ton of emotion after the number retirement ceremony. I don't know that you could have asked much more from a kid making his first start. He was much more elusive than I expected and made a bunch of good throws under pressure. While the pick and the safety were game-changers, I don't think either were his fault. Future looks bright there, for sure.
DTR would have done better (esp with designed runs), but Garbers did about as well as could be expected. It was pretty clear why Garbers passed Chase Griffin (who wasn't available anyhow) in the offseason for the backup job.

In HS news, a UCLA QB commit threw 13!!! TD's in a game Friday (106-0).

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So...

13 TD x 6 = 78
13 2 pt. conv. = 26
1 safety = 2

Total = 106
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

preliminary conversation piece CFP: rankings come out today.

My annual take based on the season thus far:

0 L SEC Champ
0 L B1G Champ
1-L SEC Champ
0 L Big-12 Champ
0 L Cincy
1-L B1G/P12 Champ.
1-L B1G/P12 Champ.
0 L ACC Champ
1-L SEC runner up
1-L B1G runner up

JCC

Post by JCC »

Playoff thoughts:

Assuming UGA wins out in the regular season (which they should easily) and Bama wins out and then beats UGA in the SEC title game, I would be extremely surprised if they don't both get into the playoff - much to the chagrin of fans of every other conference.

What would be more amusing is for Oregon to win out and win the Pac 12 and Ohio State win out and win the Big 10 and OSU gets in and Oregon doesn't. That would cause some rabble rousing. I understand Oregon fans being irate in that scenario but (if I was a degenerate gambler) I would bet the farm that OSU would beat Oregon in a rematch played today (or in a potential playoff game).

If Wake Forest wins out and is left out of the playoff that would be unsurprising and amusing. (Actually, I would be pretty surprised if they win out.)

Oklahoma clearly gets in if they are unbeaten. With a loss... not so sure.

I think Cincinnatti fans will be very unhappy when the playoff selection is done. They really need Notre Dame to keep winning (and ideally for them look better doing it than they have so far).
Black Lives Matter

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Auburn's new coach has improved the team on a weekly basis. While it is still very unlikely, I wouldn't be shocked if Auburn was able to upset Alabama this year. But if Bama and Georgia win out and Bama beats Georgia in the SEC Championship game, it's hard to imagine that both of them won't be included in the CFP. Which makes the fight for those last two spots REALLY interesting.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:54 pm but (if I was a degenerate gambler) I would bet the farm that OSU would beat Oregon in a rematch played today (or in a potential playoff game).
I wouldn't. Ohio State was behind by 2 TD's most of the game and never led.

Also, Kayvon Thibideaux (projected number 1 overall draft pick) didn't play in that game. Oregon's only sack came from a backup TE. That would change a LOT. Remember that tOSU has basically been beating up on the dregs of the B1G. Did ok v. Penn St, but Clifford still isn't healthy (didn't run like he usually does).