Home ownership sucks!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: Home ownership sucks!

Post by Octavious »

I feel like I should give you my avatar. :lol: I only lived at home or in my house. I'm super sensitive to people being annoying so I'm guessing that's probably for the best. The first time someone told me to turn down my movie or something I would lose my mind. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm but I cannot tell you how much I despise "associations" and "management companies"
i will agree here. my experience with management companies are like a typical company HR department - people who are not the sharpest tools in the shed who, due to liability paranoias, will go to any lengths to ignore/disavow/be dishonest about/argue with you over anything that could possibly reflect badly on them or the company. they're at the bottom of the totem pole but have a tiny modicum of power manipulating the well-being of others, so they take advantage of that. if i have to move to a new place, i always look for one _not_ managed by one of these outfits and go with a private property owner instead.

at my previous place, it was a private property owner, but he did away with the onsite property manager after she moved out and went with a management company. they sucked. one rep got into a petty email exchange with me because they changed to a 'no pets' policy - contrary to the property owners intention! (to be fair, the owner was kind of an idjit as well, since he didn't want to go against whatever the property management place dictated. in any case the place was sold not long after and the new owner wanted my unit, so i got kicked out)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have been on the other side of the HOA formula, and I can tell you that trying to get scofflaws to obey the rules with the board of directors and other owners breathing down your neck is equally nightmarish.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:42 pm I have been on the other side of the HOA formula, and I can tell you that trying to get scofflaws to obey the rules with the board of directors and other owners breathing down your neck is equally nightmarish.
Sure, which is why it's better for everyone involved if I just don't interact with that type of organization at all.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

We are dealing with a high wind storm this afternoon into tomorrow morning - at least in my part of NJ. Every time there is high wind I cringe because it means damage. The weather the last few years has been a real financial drain. Today it took a piece of my front bay window. Now I have to get on top of fixing that because it exposed the bare wood of the join that makes up the corner. The joys of home ownership meets the new reality.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:42 pm I have been on the other side of the HOA formula, and I can tell you that trying to get scofflaws to obey the rules with the board of directors and other owners breathing down your neck is equally nightmarish.
Given the ridiculous prices here in the LA area there is no way I'd ever buy a house where people were free to do whatever the hell they wanted with their house including doing nothing, not keeping their house up, peeling paint, and other craziness. Nope, my property values will not be ruined by idiocy and laziness.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Octavious wrote:Not sure about your town, but the one guy I work with has to pay to get his garbage taken. He's in Boonton I think. I wonder how long before every town does that will still charging more in taxes. :lol:
Of course we have a “garbage fee”, along with a separate “sewer fee”. The garbage fee was particularly offensive because one of the conditions of our town agreeing to have a dump and incinerator in our town was that the county would cover our garbage collection.

So we have a garbage fee, even though the town doesn’t actually pay for garbage collection.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:50 pm
Sure, which is why it's better for everyone involved if I just don't interact with that type of organization at all.
In Texas, they just fine you and put a lien on your house if it goes unpaid.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

My property taxes in CT are more than double the highest number mentioned here so far...and we have high income tax, sales tax 6.35%, and one of the highest gasoline taxes in the country. My state sucks, and I can't imagine how someone on a "normal" income lives here. I'm lucky enough that my salary can pay all the taxes with plenty left over.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife thought about selling when things broke. She always cited the lack of needing to mow or pay utilities and property taxes. I was always against it citing We pay less on the house than we would an apartment and its about our's again fully. I also REALLY hate living near people and my life and property depending on them not burning it down. Plus theres always the chance of being shot through a wall or neighbors or even a landlord using their key to enter my home.

Prefer having my own place where I do what i want basically when I want and can turn music up when Im depressed. After this year I have only 2 1/2 more years until Im paid off and out of debt.

But yes we BOTH fussed about property tax. It really isn't something anyone likes I dont think..I can count mine in the hundreds of dollars though not thousands.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We pay around $4,000 for our modest house (1,100 sq ft). For that we get robust town services and a very good school system. As a geezer who never had kids, I'm still OK with them blowing most of my property tax on education.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:41 am We have two bathrooms for three people. Twice is the number of times I've pooped in my back yard in the past six years.
Let's just say that I didn't make the backyard this time.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:11 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:41 am We have two bathrooms for three people. Twice is the number of times I've pooped in my back yard in the past six years.
Let's just say that I didn't make the backyard this time.
:shock:

I grew up in a house with one shitter and 10 people. I've watered the foliage there before, never fertilized though.

My current house is 3 shitters and 4 people. I've never been denied. Should that ever happen, it would be time to have a 4th built out in the basement.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sorry, señor bam. :(

2 humans, 4 bathrooms and 4 refrigerators. (We tend to have large groups over to visit many times a year.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I used to pee on the plants outside.
I killed them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:38 pm I used to pee on the plants outside.
I killed them.
In high school, we used to party at a late friend's girlfriend's house. They only had a single facility too (old Victorian house) and the weeds behind the garage grew to about 8 feet tall.

You must have some pretty toxic pee.. I bet there's some weed control places that would like a word with you...
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:30 pm But yes we BOTH fussed about property tax. It really isn't something anyone likes I dont think..I can count mine in the hundreds of dollars though not thousands.
Make sure you're getting all the exemptions you're entitled to. Many people don't even know about them, and the gov't doesn't really broadcast about it. For instance Florida has
the widow/widowers exemption which reduces the assessed value of your property by $500. This provides a tax savings of approximately $12 annually. Any widow/widower who owns property and is a permanent Florida resident may file for this exemption. If the individual remarries, they are no longer eligible.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One bathroom, four people. Everyone knows the rules.

1. Get in, get done, get out.
2. Let people know if you're going to take a shower so they can get in first.
3. If you wait until the last minute to go, it's your own damned fault.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was looking at the floor plan for the house my wife bought in Ormoc. 53 sq meters of floor area (two floors). 2 crappers though, so I shouldn't have to cross the road to water the banana plant like I had to do at my in-laws.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:39 pm or have more than 2 cats.
This is what will I think ultimately convince me to one day purchase a home (if I can afford it)
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We've had basement flooding, so we're having a team in to install a sump pump in our 150-y.o. house.

They have to dig up some of the basement floor, so I'm hoping to discover a cache of pirate gold or a manuscript of MOBY DICK.

Also, if you're wondering: no, it's not cheap. :(
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 pm We've had basement flooding, so we're having a team in to install a sump pump in our 150-y.o. house.

They have to dig up some of the basement floor, so I'm hoping to discover a cache of pirate gold or a manuscript of MOBY DICK.

Do you live in an area with a high water table?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Philadelphia was a swamp until they filled it in to build. It was...not a pleasant place to live.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's why they moved Hogeye to the top of a mountain.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:39 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 pm We've had basement flooding, so we're having a team in to install a sump pump in our 150-y.o. house.

Do you live in an area with a high water table?
The house is actually on top of a broad hill, so we'll never actually flood, but the local topography sends heavy rain into our basement.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like you need a moat.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:03 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:46 am ... My furnace was a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to be. $900 for a 1000 sq ft home (five years ago?) and I got a tax break and it's saved me a ton of money
And I've paid $18k to replace two furnaces and two A/C units in the past 8 months.

But yeah owning a home is about not have upstairs neighbors, always having a parking space, having the room you need and the freedom to make it your own.

33 years from purchase to payoff seems a tad (really, really) long, but interest rates are so low, why not? We bought our first home in 2000 refinanced once then trading up when our second kid was due in 2009, refinancing twice and should be paying off in 2024. We bought a $168k house in 2000 and now own 90.38% of a $473k house (per zillow. It feels really high but the market is hot right now). I am often tempted to just pay it off as we have the cash on hand, but I'd rather have the emergency fund for things like those damn HVAC units.
I gave in. I sent a little over $30k to the mortgage company this week as it was all sitting in cash in my etrade account and the opportunity I was looking for just wasn't happening, so I put it somewhere slightly more useful. After that payment, with our Feb payment, the balance will go to zero and we'll need to remember to pay our property tax on our own for the first time ever! We will finally own our home.

Oh and Zillow says it's worth $580k now. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Conga Rats! I think my house might be up to $70k. No matter. I'm going nowhere and my property taxes are under $2500 a year. So the value can stay in the gutter so long as my neighbors don't get any worse.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Congrats! I wish my value would go down instead of up. 2 1/2 more years and Ill be clear. I think this house has had 3 mortgages in the last 30 years.. This will be the last.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Brian

Post by Brian »

I just got off the phone with the Chase because, somehow, they failed to process my payment for this month's mortgage and imagine my surprise when I got my statement today stating that my next payment was double what it normally was.

Fortunately, they were able to process the payment while also waiving the late fee. They also confirmed that a negative credit report was not issued since I was still inside the 30 day window for making payments.

I went back over my paperwork and confirmed that the payment was scheduled but also saw that there was no withdraw/payment from my account so I went ahead and payed January and February over the phone.

He also applied my usual overpayment which I split between principle and escrow.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
telcta

Post by telcta »

I think I want to go back to manual dials for appliances, if that’s still a thing, enough of these fancy computer controlled interfaces.

I usually have good luck with appliances but in just the past 3 months I’ve had the clothes dryer control board go, then a few weeks after that the washer control board went. Thankfully with the help of YouTube videos I was able to fix them both on my own but those parts were expensive… $200 for the washer and $150 for the dryer.

It didn’t stop there, the 2 year old dishwasher is now acting up and my research is showing the UI control board may need to be replaced.

I bought the extended warranty on the washer/dryer for 5 years but those boards died around the 7 year mark. The dishwasher I decided not to get the warranty. What a crapshoot.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:52 pm
The house is actually on top of a broad hill, so we'll never actually flood, but the local topography sends heavy rain into our basement.
You should maybe look into getting some regrading done to the yard if possible. It would be better all around if that water was never entering your basement in the first place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wlslzFTQP0
telcta wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm I think I want to go back to manual dials for appliances, if that’s still a thing, enough of these fancy computer controlled interfaces.
That's always my appliance policy, old school is best.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The "We buy ugly houses" people want to give me $450k for my house that we bought for $150k >30 years ago. That's cash with no commissions. We let our house slide because reasons; if we renovate it will be worth at least $600k, but that involves a lot of expense and inconvenience. Spending $75k to make $150k seems like a great idea until you consider the displacement necessary to get it there. We need complete bathroom and kitchen overhauls, and by complete I mean ceiling to floor with loss of function during the process. Our kitchen dates to 1948 and the bathroom is just plain crumbling. We need to refinish floors throughout. We'd basically need to move out for awhile. When I think about the price and hassle of being displaced, I'm tempted to take the cash offer and make renovating someone else's problem.
Zarathud

Home ownership sucks!

Post by Zarathud »

We bought a new house once renovating the kitchen, baths and plumbing in our 100 year old house were such major projects we were never going to do them. I replaced the front facade and everything else by then.

In return, I got a home office and board game table area, the kids got their own bedrooms, and the wife got a crazy big kitchen. And 20 more years of mortgage payments.

Worth it, even if I have to move a wall in the pantry and redo the washer/dryer closet. And put in grass instead of astroturf then replace the garage.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 am The "We buy ugly houses" people
It is so tempting to get a quote from them. Our yard wasn't any great shakes 5 years ago and has had basically nothing done to keep it up other than moving in that time. Plus the house needs all new windows and we need to finish the kitchen renovation we did years ago (moving cabinets exposed some wallboard that we were supposed to paint - we haven't painted).
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 am Spending $75k to make $150k seems like a great idea
You're spending $75k to make $75k not $150k. By the time you're done $600k might only have the value that $450k has right now.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:52 pm The house is actually on top of a broad hill, so we'll never actually flood, but the local topography sends heavy rain into our basement.
Sorry, does not compute. The hill IS your local topography - if you are getting rain water in your basement, it's not your topography doing it, unless your house sits in a depression on top of your hill. Maybe you mean your geology?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 am The "We buy ugly houses" people want to give me $450k for my house that we bought for $150k >30 years ago. That's cash with no commissions. We let our house slide because reasons; if we renovate it will be worth at least $600k, but that involves a lot of expense and inconvenience. Spending $75k to make $150k seems like a great idea until you consider the displacement necessary to get it there. We need complete bathroom and kitchen overhauls, and by complete I mean ceiling to floor with loss of function during the process. Our kitchen dates to 1948 and the bathroom is just plain crumbling. We need to refinish floors throughout. We'd basically need to move out for awhile. When I think about the price and hassle of being displaced, I'm tempted to take the cash offer and make renovating someone else's problem.
Why not put it on the market? I suspect "we buy ugly houses" if making a below market offer, that's what these "we pay cash for houses" companies usually do. They offer speed and convenience but generally not the best price.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:12 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 am The "We buy ugly houses" people want to give me $450k for my house that we bought for $150k >30 years ago. That's cash with no commissions. We let our house slide because reasons; if we renovate it will be worth at least $600k, but that involves a lot of expense and inconvenience. Spending $75k to make $150k seems like a great idea until you consider the displacement necessary to get it there. We need complete bathroom and kitchen overhauls, and by complete I mean ceiling to floor with loss of function during the process. Our kitchen dates to 1948 and the bathroom is just plain crumbling. We need to refinish floors throughout. We'd basically need to move out for awhile. When I think about the price and hassle of being displaced, I'm tempted to take the cash offer and make renovating someone else's problem.
Why not put it on the market? I suspect "we buy ugly houses" if making a below market offer, that's what these "we pay cash for houses" companies usually do. They offer speed and convenience but generally not the best price.
Actually, we're going to ask for professional (realtor) advice regarding the most cost-effective upgrades we can do, and ideally some help with the logistics. The floors need to be replaced/refinished throughout, and IDK how to do that without taking everything off of them -- essentially emptying out the house. Maybe rent one of those storage pods, hire someone to haul our furniture out there and back in. Maybe use our garage for that purpose, although that would involve some repairs to make it secure.

There are a lot of moving parts. I've never sold a house or done renovations, so this is all new to me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The florescent lights went out in the kitchen. Too high for me to replace. The wife's satellite receiver went out. The microwave died. The dog had poop clogging it's butt and I had to clean in out. All this happened this morning.
I'm about ready to go into a nursing home. I have had enough.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949