Home ownership sucks!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Eel Snave

Re: Home ownership sucks!

Post by Eel Snave »

So a few weeks ago, there was a 50 mph windstorm that ripped shingles off of our roof. We called our insurance the next day, and a guy came out to take a look. He didn't go up on the roof, just took pictures at a distance. A few days later, he sends us an estimate that says that's basically, "Buy two packs of shingles and have a roofer come out. What's the problem?"

I was furious, and called up my agent. They had another guy come out yesterday, and he actually went up there. He says that we had "organic" shingles that are meant to biodegrade in a landfill, but also biodegrade on a roof. There's no repairing the shingles without damaging the ones nearby, so it has to be fully replaced, and they'll cover it.

In the past, I might not have complained about the bad estimate, but as I get older I get a little more pissed off at stupid shit. I was glad I called, because otherwise it would have been a HUGE pain in the ass.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya that happens a lot in insurance.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I have two palm trees in my back yard that got infected with a fungus and died. That was a quick way to lose $1,000.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:10 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:52 pm The house is actually on top of a broad hill, so we'll never actually flood, but the local topography sends heavy rain into our basement.
Sorry, does not compute. The hill IS your local topography - if you are getting rain water in your basement, it's not your topography doing it, unless your house sits in a depression on top of your hill. Maybe you mean your geology?
The hill is the size of a large neighborhood, and we're on top. We'll never *flood* like the the folks who live downhill by the river (which floods once a decade or so).

Rainwater gets in because rainwater gets in, but that's not what I would call "flooding."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

telcta wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm I think I want to go back to manual dials for appliances, if that’s still a thing, enough of these fancy computer controlled interfaces.

I usually have good luck with appliances but in just the past 3 months I’ve had the clothes dryer control board go, then a few weeks after that the washer control board went. Thankfully with the help of YouTube videos I was able to fix them both on my own but those parts were expensive… $200 for the washer and $150 for the dryer.

It didn’t stop there, the 2 year old dishwasher is now acting up and my research is showing the UI control board may need to be replaced.

I bought the extended warranty on the washer/dryer for 5 years but those boards died around the 7 year mark. The dishwasher I decided not to get the warranty. What a crapshoot.
The house we bought a few months ago has a Thermador oven/range that is all dials. The only real downside is that there's no clock/timer.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:26 pm Conga Rats! I think my house might be up to $70k. No matter. I'm going nowhere and my property taxes are under $2500 a year. So the value can stay in the gutter so long as my neighbors don't get any worse.
Dude. Zillow is estimating $650k for my house and our property tax is about $3500. I didn't know Michigan was up there with NJ and Texas for insane property tax!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:46 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:26 pm Conga Rats! I think my house might be up to $70k. No matter. I'm going nowhere and my property taxes are under $2500 a year. So the value can stay in the gutter so long as my neighbors don't get any worse.
Dude. Zillow is estimating $650k for my house and our property tax is about $3500. I didn't know Michigan was up there with NJ and Texas for insane property tax!
I'm sure your locality values your property at less than $650k, but your property taxes are less than mine in Virginia (I was close to $5k last year on a condo valued at just over $420k).
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:46 pm
You have millages in municipalities, so it gets weird. We used to be among the worst and then passed the "Hedly Amendment" which capped tax increases but then they found a way to millage with "authorities" and other weirdness. Also assessments work Taxable value vs Sellable Value and my house has an estimated value of $150K but I could not get more than $70k. The assessors don't care. If you fight in court, you'll get a judgement of "undo market value" or something like that where the assessment essentially say that your home should be worth more and you are going to be taxed that way.

All that said, in the burbs with a good DPW, fire, police, school, etc... Paying 3% annually of the what you could sell home for is not that uncommon. Add the 6% sales tax, a 4% income tax, and the gas tax and all the other taxes and business taxes and, yes, we are very heavily taxed state.

Oddly enough goolge says
Are you wondering “What is the average Michigan property tax rate?” Michigan's effective real property tax rate is 1.64%.
But I'm not sure what the effective rate is. I've never qualified for SALT deductions so I've never been able to write off my property taxes against my income tax.

Also TIL, Detroit has the highest property tax rate of any city in the US

https://www.easyknock.com/blog/the-ulti ... operty-tax

In Michigan's Wayne County, residents pay an effective tax rate of about 2.69 percent, the 31st highest rate of any county in the United States. That's partly because Wayne County includes Detroit, which has the most expensive property tax of any US city.
I live in Wayne County, in one of the higher taxed cities.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

$450 to get my lights fixed. <sigh> I was expecting between $100-200.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:03 pm
I'm sure your locality values your property at less than $650k, but your property taxes are less than mine in Virginia (I was close to $5k last year on a condo valued at just over $420k).
For sure. Prop 13 here restricts the growth of property tax. Which is kind of bullshit, but it is what it is. My initial tax was calculated from a $275k sales price with growth restricted to some percent per year. But I was surprised at the valuation of $70k with that kind of tax. Here they will reduce your taxes if the property devalues.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:33 pm For sure. Prop 13 here restricts the growth of property tax. Which is kind of bullshit, but it is what it is. My initial tax was calculated from a $275k sales price with growth restricted to some percent per year. But I was surprised at the valuation of $70k with that kind of tax. Here they will reduce your taxes if the property devalues.
We do that here, too. Until the municipality decides, "whoa no, we can't function on that. Let's find one or more legalese ways to keep the taxes flowing." Taxes would also be restricted on growth after contraction... theoretically... Still I pay about $2,500 a year. My parents have two places with a combined value of maybe $400,000. The same game sees them paying nearly $18,000 a year. My father was a blue collar worker surviving off social security and a blue collar pension. $18,000 a year is 1/3 of what he takes in. They don't want to sell the family home but they're looking at moving in to their cottage like home and loading their tax burden home, especially as the family hasn't gathered at the family home for over two years now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been paying property taxes on a MI house for the past couple of years and can attest that they're higher than in MA. Our taxes are double those on the MI house, but our MA house is worth 4x as much. 70% of our property taxes go to schools; IDK what MI spends theirs on.

I was recently disappointed to find out that the senior citizen's property tax discount is means-tested. I'm fine with restricting tax breaks to people who actually need them, but I was kind of hoping to be rewarded for getting old. If I'd known there was no discount, I would not have lived this long.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For comparisons sake my property tax before discount was almost $400 and my car tags will run maybe $30. Im in TN.

My nephew who lives in New York will pay $10,000 property tax and about $1,200 per car tag.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My electric bill for this month is $550. Of which my stepson and his children have paid zilch.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We had a record $550 gas bill last month. I think my programmable thermostat has stopped downshifting -- seems like the heat is on full blast around the clock now. I've checked and double-checked the program and it looks good, but it's 2 a.m. and I'm not cold. Usually the worst bill of the winter is around $400.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:05 pm I've been paying property taxes on a MI house for the past couple of years and can attest that they're higher than in MA. Our taxes are double those on the MI house, but our MA house is worth 4x as much. 70% of our property taxes go to schools; IDK what MI spends theirs on.

I was recently disappointed to find out that the senior citizen's property tax discount is means-tested. I'm fine with restricting tax breaks to people who actually need them, but I was kind of hoping to be rewarded for getting old. If I'd known there was no discount, I would not have lived this long.
Mostly school but you can see in millage breakdown what the money is being spent on. Libraries, museums, street lights, DPW, universities, etc...

Everyone talking about their gas electric is scaring me. Combined they've yet to exceed $250 this year and $250 combined has historically been my high, and that's in the summer months when the AC is working too hard.

I think my car registration is up to $150 per year and has increasing every year. I'm still waiting to hear what's up EV registrations as gas is creeping back toward $4 a gallon.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:56 am We had a record $550 gas bill last month. I think my programmable thermostat has stopped downshifting -- seems like the heat is on full blast around the clock now. I've checked and double-checked the program and it looks good, but it's 2 a.m. and I'm not cold. Usually the worst bill of the winter is around $400.
The supply service charge from my gas company went from 38.39 cents a therm last January to 66.14 cents a therm this month. So while I used less gas (new more efficient furnace) my overall gas bill went up (only $16, but still).
Hodor.
telcta

Post by telcta »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 am
telcta wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm I think I want to go back to manual dials for appliances, if that’s still a thing, enough of these fancy computer controlled interfaces.
The house we bought a few months ago has a Thermador oven/range that is all dials. The only real downside is that there's no clock/timer.
Wow... those are some nice looking ovens, a little out of my price range but if I had a passion for cooking, I could see investing in something like that.

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 am I think my car registration is up to $150 per year and has increasing every year. I'm still waiting to hear what's up EV registrations as gas is creeping back toward $4 a gallon.
My EV registration is half my Honda. I'm waiting for our state to catch up and hit us heavily with a road-use tax for EVs. I just hope it's more inline with mileage (similar to gas tax) instead of a flat dollar amount. Hmmm... I thought Connecticut was one of the highest taxed states for gasoline but according to 2021 Gas Tax Map we are 17th.

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:09 am The supply service charge from my gas company went from 38.39 cents a therm last January to 66.14 cents a therm this month. So while I used less gas (new more efficient furnace) my overall gas bill went up (only $16, but still).
I'm trying to figure out my bill now, it looks like we went from 57 cents to 76 cents for supply. Deciphering some of these bills can be confusing, I have 4 different entries for Deliver charges with rates ranging from 34 to 82 cents. And something called a Decoupling Adjustment which I had to go to another gas company's website to figure out what that meant. Thank you Libery Utilities.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

telcta wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:09 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 am
Wow... those are some nice looking ovens, a little out of my price range but if I had a passion for cooking, I could see investing in something like that.
It's out of my price range too, but it came with the house. :P When it comes time to replace it eventually (it's probably 5-10 years old, so it should last a little while yet) we'll likely get something a little more reasonable.
telcta

Post by telcta »

That oven could last as long as you're in the house. I hope you're using it for more than frying up some eggs and boiling water.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I love the stove. I enjoy cooking, and I was genuinely surprised at how much a difference the high-end stove makes (although, to be fair, it appears to be the low-end of the high-end Thermador line). The star-shaped burners really lend themselves to even cooking!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm I gave in. I sent a little over $30k to the mortgage company this week as it was all sitting in cash in my etrade account and the opportunity I was looking for just wasn't happening, so I put it somewhere slightly more useful. After that payment, with our Feb payment, the balance will go to zero and we'll need to remember to pay our property tax on our own for the first time ever! We will finally own our home.

Oh and Zillow says it's worth $580k now. :P
Just got the loan payoff notification. After 22 years and 5 mortgages across two houses, we are done with mortgage payments forever or until I lose my job and we have to sell the house to eat, whichever comes first.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

Congratulations! That must be a great feeling.

I’m debating on selling some stock to pay off our mortgage but I keep weighing the gains tax / tax bracket situation. It definitely would be one less thing to worry about since that is our last remaining debt.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We got within 6 months of paying off our HELOC (mortgage) before I had to start funneling half of our monthly payment into maintaining our inherited house in Lansing, and taxes. Frustrating. Oh well, since we only have to pay the interest each month our "mortgage payment" is currently $18 and falling, and the Lansing house is finally on the market. Freedom is in sight. :)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had to bump this thread for more fun HOA drama (that thank God I'm not involved in this time):

Neighbor A decides to stain his fence. Does not get approval from the HOA.

Neighbor B hates the color of the fence. Complains to HOA.

HOA looks at fence, determines it falls into the reasonable range of stain colors, and lets it slide.

Neighbor B goes total Karen and posts a lengthy diatribe in the community Facebook group stating that the HOA is not doing their job and basically blasting everyone up and down her street about everything from cars with company logos in driveways to grass clippings on the road.

Rest of community starts going at each others throats in the thread, with a tiny few agreeing with Neighbor B and the vast majority calling her a Karen who's just pissed because she didn't get her way. This devolves into two of the men threatening to meet up and fist fight it out. :pop:

FWIW we have a house directly across from us with the same color fence (a maple stain) that did go through proper approval. It looks a bit orangey in bright light and not my personal favorite, but it's not what Karen calls "Halloween decor." :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is literally no amount of money they could pay me to sit on the board and try to wrangle this bunch of nutjobs.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:19 pm
There is literally no amount of money they could pay me to live in the same neighborhood with these psychos
living in an HOA-hood has to be its own special kind of hell
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:26 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:19 pm
There is literally no amount of money they could pay me to live in the same neighborhood with these psychos
living in an HOA-hood has to be its own special kind of hell
That's a firm condition in our house hunt: No HOA. Fortunately they aren't real common where we're looking. That whole Pleasantville vibe is a huge turnoff.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah housing is at such premium here that it's really hard to avoid an HOA unless you want a really old house. All new construction has HOAs. And there's no such thing as "buying a plot of land" and building. There is no land.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hopefully, I'm getting out before my HOA fees double or triple, or the market tanks. I'm getting close to being able to list.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Even if I could, I would never live anywhere with an HOA.

On the other hand, I'd jump at the chance to live right across the street from an HOA neighborhood. :twisted:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Move close to the entrance to the HOA and park a boat in front of your house.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:43 pm Move close to the entrance to the HOA and park a boat in front of your house.
No! Don't let an opportunity like that pass you by!

Make it a bright pink and yellow boat (with company logos on the sides) named the 'Ship Happens', and on the deck of which you sunbathe in a lime green speedo. When there's a good wind, raise up the polka-dot sail, throw on your Gilligan hat, and pretend you're sailing 'round the Horn, singing a shanty.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Fortunately I live in a cul-de-sac at the very back of the neighborhood. No through streets, so it's super quiet and we're left alone. The added bonus is the way our house is angled you have to drive all the way into the cul-de-sac to really even see it. It's easily the most under-the-radar house in the whole neighborhood. :D

That said, I'm not totally against HOAs. The guy down the street from my mom is mentally ill and one day decided to spray the F word in large letters all over his house. He then decorated the entire yard in both Halloween and Christmas decorations. :doh:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Karen in your nightmare story sounds mentally ill to me, if you’re suggesting that HOA’s keep the mentally ill out.

If you lose your shit because someone ELSE stained their fence closer to orange-brown than than red-brown, well…
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:40 pm Even if I could, I would never live anywhere with an HOA.

On the other hand, I'd jump at the chance to live right across the street from an HOA neighborhood. :twisted:
My new-ish neighbor (couple of years now) has revealed himself to be a Lawn Nazi who knows to within inches where our property line is and resents my cat crossing it. He does not have a nice yard. He does have a high-powered leaf blower and he's out there blowing dust around every Monday.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote:This devolves into two of the men threatening to meet up and fist fight it out. :pop:
Legal in Texas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:14 pm Yeah housing is at such premium here that it's really hard to avoid an HOA unless you want a really old house. All new construction has HOAs. And there's no such thing as "buying a plot of land" and building. There is no land.
With all that and the wonderful political backdrop - I guess you really like the weather?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not a fan of HOAs but now that I've been next to renters from a slum lord since 2009, I can see the value in them. One horrible transient neighbor after another. The current iteration run a car repair business out of the garage, always have multiple cars in front of my house, they throw garbage and cigarette butts on my lawn, oh and the noise of the garage and make it so I can't mow the curb, put out garbage, or see when I pull out of my driveway. They let kids run rampant, for which I wonder coming into June why they weren't in school or indoors being "home educated" while their dads work. They aren't the worst of the lot in the last 15 years, so I guess there's that. Don't even get me started on the fenceline, for which I used to be used the worst of the neighbors once upon a time.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'll be happy to get out of here. To justify how much our HOA pays for landscaping they seem to need to run power equipment every morning, and I'm a night person on the ground floor. What's worse is they are no where near as good as the prior service was ten years ago. They've ruined all the St. Augustine grass that was once lush, killed the hedges by over trimming, let the ground cover on the bank get taken over and pushed out by weeds, and they trim the palms after hurricane season for the snow birds instead of before hurricane season because you know "hurricanes". I guess I'm a "Karen", but I never actually complain except here. :doh:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:15 am I guess I'm a "Karen", but I never actually complain except here. :doh:
Mentally, I suspect I'm only about two steps away from being a Karen. But I also don't complain or do things, except maybe small passive aggressive things when they get to be too much and I also have a very long memory (which is otherwise exceptionally poor) when it comes to being pushed into Karen adjacent attitudinal territory.