Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

moleymoleymoley

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by moleymoleymoley »

[X] Reduced-laser-count Prime configuration; less lasers; good heat management
[] OMG LAZER PEW PEW PEW; [shutdown initiated]

A shame to lose the ridiculous nature of the mech, but sensible I suppose

HELLBRINGER
[X] Prime; Twin PPCs, three ER medium lasers, a bunch of other equipment we don't have anyway
[] Stick with B config; Gauss rifle, LB-5X, small laser, 2x SRM/6 launcher.

still got the flava

Dire Wolf

[X] Leave as is
[] Swap one or more of the guns out for more heat sinks, assuming we have spare heat sinks

keep that original flava goodness

Warhawk

[] Replace targeting computer wreckage with 6x double heat sinks
[X] Replace targeting computer wreckage with standard armor and 3x double heat sinks

mmm, flavour, plus I want to see future fights where a mech is cored out by 4 (four) CERPPCs in one salvo

Timber Wolves

Timber Wolf Prime downgrade:
[X] Drop pulse laser
[] Drop machine guns, ammo and use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead
[] Other proposal

that MW3 intro wouldn't have been the same without those mg's pecking away

[] Drop a pulse laser
[X] Drop streak SRM/6 and replace it with slightly inferior IS weaponry
[] Use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead, only have to drop one ton
[] Write-in

no brainer

Summoner YEAH BABY!

[] Drop heat sink and use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[] Drop two heat sinks, use IS ferro-fibrous armor and add an extra ton of LBX autocannon ammo
[X] Write-in
is it possible to downgrade to a cLRM10, use the space for ISFF, up ammo and up armour? If no cLRM, do option 2 here instead

Mad Dog Prime

[] Drop a medium pulse laser, use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[X] Downgrade LRM racks to 15s, like the Catapult did back in the day

this, although it hurts my heart :(

Executioner (C-Config)

Executioner downgrade
[X] Gauss Rifle
[] LB-10X
[] AC/20

such sadness, much boo

Stormcrows

Pick 3
[X] Prime: All Lasers, All Day
[XX] A config: Lasers, LRMs, streak SRMs, limited streak SRM ammo available
[] B config: Lasers, UAC/20, will have to downgrade the UAC/20
[] D config: LRMs, SRMs, NARC pods

could we change the A configs streaks to regular SRMs? I think that config looks beastly on paper
moleymoleymoley

Also, have you seen that MekHQ is getting story arcs!!! My wishes have come true :D
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'd like to request to drive either:

[x] Drop pulse laser

or

The A variant
[x] Drop streak SRM/6 and replace it with slightly inferior IS weaponry

If neither of those are possible, then perhaps

Stormcrow
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Leraje wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:39 am
NickAragua wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 pm Nova
[x] Reduced-laser-count Prime configuration; less lasers; good heat management
[] OMG LAZER PEW PEW PEW; [shutdown initiated]
Unless Zenn wants it as his backup ride, than OMG PEW PEW PEW all the way :P

Hellbringer
What do we do as the base configuration?
[x] Prime; Twin PPCs, three ER medium lasers, a bunch of other equipment we don't have anyway replaced with armour
[] Stick with B config; Gauss rifle, LB-5X, small laser, 2x SRM/6 launcher.

The Dire Wolf goes to El Guapo. It's a monster, no question about it. Four ER Large Lasers, four medium pulse lasers, twin ultra AC/5s and an LRM/10 rack. LRM count is a little low, but armor is near maximum. We could probably swap something out for a couple of extra heat sinks (assuming we have extra clan-spec double heat sinks), or just leave it as is.

[] Leave as is
[] Swap one or more of the guns out for more heat sinks, assuming we have spare heat sinks
[x] Up to El Guapo

Warhawk goes to Leraje. It's got... four PPCs and an LRM/10 launcher. Firing all four PPCs and the LRMs at the same time while running will shut you down almost every time. Our techs discover that this mech is one ton underweight for some reason, and, "luckily", the targeting computer got blown out, so that's five tons of scrap we can take out and replace with six double heat sinks for significantly improved heat management (4 PPCs, alternating with 2 PPCs + LRM launcher). Alternately, we could change the clan-spec ferro-fibrous armor out for standard armor, which will still let us add three more double heat sinks for a similar heat management profile (although, really, don't fire all four PPCs at once).

[] Replace targeting computer wreckage with 6x double heat sinks
[] Replace targeting computer wreckage with standard armor and 3x double heat sinks
[x] Replace targeting computer wreckage with 6x double heat sinks, rip out LRM and ammo (3.5T freed) in favour of standard armour.

[] Drop pulse laser
[x] Drop machine guns, ammo and use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead
[] Other proposal

The A variant packs two PPCs, three medium pulse lasers, a streak SRM/6 (with only 8 shots) and a small laser. Again, we're looking to drop two tons somewhere. The small laser is half a ton, medium pulse laser is two tons, streak SRM/6 is 4 tons and nobody makes ammo for it, so we could sub in some Inner Sphere weaponry.

[] Drop a pulse laser
[x] Use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead, only have to drop one ton
[] Write-in

We've got one Summoner (and some spare parts), flagged by Moley. Again, we'll need to downgrade the armor, which means dropping two tons from somewhere. The Prime config packs an LB-10X autocannon, an extended-range PPC and an LRM/15 rack. The LBX only has ten shots, while the LRM/15 rack has twelve shots, so the combat endurance of the mech is limited. The only immediately obvious place to shave off weight is to remove a double heat sink, as the mech generates a maximum of 27 heat while bleeding off 28. Using Inner Sphere grade ferro-fibrous armor makes it so we only have to drop one ton instead of two, so that's a possible solution. As for improving combat endurance, we could drop another heat sink to add another ton of LBX ammo.

[] Drop heat sink and use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[] Drop two heat sinks, use IS ferro-fibrous armor and add an extra ton of LBX autocannon ammo
[] Write-in

We've got a fully-intact Mad Dog Prime (and spare parts). Four pulse lasers (two large, two medium) and twin LRM/20 launchers, but only twelve shots between the two of them. It's a good mech, but the ferro-fibrous armor will be a problem. We'll have to down-grade to Inner Sphere variety; also, having only six salvos of LRMs isn't that great. Dropping heat sinks isn't really an option on this heat-intensive mech, so we can drop a pulse laser, or maybe downgrade the LRM launchers.

[] Drop a medium pulse laser, use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[x] Downgrade LRM racks to 15s, like the Catapult did back in the day

Executioner downgrade
[x] Gauss Rifle
[] LB-10X
[] AC/20

Last, but not least, we've got two or three Stormcrows (' worth of parts).
Pick 3
[xxx] Prime: All Lasers, All Day
[] A config: Lasers, LRMs, streak SRMs, limited streak SRM ammo available
[] B config: Lasers, UAC/20, will have to downgrade the UAC/20
[] D config: LRMs, SRMs, NARC pods
Overall try to avoid ammo-dependant systems till we can get a reliable supply for reloads.
Info overload. Uhh.... this sounds good to me.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

... Hey Nick, as these are omnis, would it be possible to have hot-swappable JJs? So, say, if we were going into a forest or city they could be loaded in, of it into plains, subbed in for missiles or something?

Folks, as I've called for either Timberwolfs and someone called for the A, I'd appreciate if you'd leave the retrofit vote on the Prime to me :wink:
gbasden wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:36 pm I'd like to request to drive either:

[x] Drop pulse laser

or

The A variant

If neither of those are possible, then perhaps

Stormcrow
I believe both of them are claimed already, but none of the Stormcrows.
Leraje wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:33 am Hmm... guess I'll have to check my MechHQ settings for this...

In any case, here's a jumping Timby for you, maintaining the original esthetics. Not the most impresive build, but Timby is really tonnage hungry, so 5 JJS limit the options.
13T IS FF gives it maximum armour.
6x MPL and 2x LRM10? Well, and a ERSL I suppose.

Hm, I kind of miss having "big guns", even if MPLs are kind of cut down LLs themselves. It's theoretically a lot of damage, but I do need to get pretty close to bring the vast majority of it to bear.

No thoughts on those I've put up before? I think my favorite is still this:

(Should the arms be crit-packed?)

I realize that I could trade JJs for another LRM20, and while ammo would be very scarce then, I could sub in the ERMLs for when they run out. Or I could just lose the ERMLs for another ton of ammo and a DHS.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

Imo, if you plan on jumping a lot, it's better to have more smaller weapons than a few large ones to play the odds better and 5/8/5 movement profile makes it a decent shortish-range "skirmisher".
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Resulting mech assignments (please double check if I got it right):
Spoiler:
Note: customization votes are subject to player override

El Guapo - Dire Wolf -> Drop some guns for heat sinks; no need for armor update
CaptainWolf - Hellbringer -> Prime/Jump Jets/Max Armor
Leraje - Warhawk -> 4x PPC + extra heat sinks, more armor
Freyland - Nova, reduced laser count
TotallyNotEvil - Timber Wolf "Prime"; jump jets and other mods
TheMix - Mad Dog; reduced LRM tube count due to having to downgrade armor
Hyena - Timber Wolf "A"; reduced weapon count due to having to downgrade armor
GBasden - Stormcrow "Prime"; reduced weapon count due to having to downgrade armor
Atrophy - Annihilator
Moley - Thor "Prime"; either reduce LRM tube count or heat sink count due to having to downgrade armor

Executioner - Gauss Rifle ||
---

"Nice." Freyland says. "Now this is a recon mech."

"Recon my ass." Akalon counters, looking at the specs for the Nova. "You're going to be vaporizing anything you look at, you don't even have to fire the lasers."

Freyland shrugs, smiling. "That's ok by me."

---

El Guapo watches the techs mount the replacement head assembly on the Dire Wolf, then looks at the mech's technical specs.

"Man... no PPCs." he mutters.

"You can put PPCs in the arms." the nearby tech suggests.

"Yeah, but if they're the extended-range ones with the insta-blast instead of the firing delay, then I'll have to re-learn how to shoot them."

The tech shrugs. "We can put regular PPCs in there, too, but you know their performance characteristics. And if you want four of them, you'll have to ditch one of the ultra autocannons or something. But they're all in omni-pods, so we can just swap it out in a couple hours if you don't like it, no factory time needed."

El Guapo nods. "Ok, let's keep it as is for now, then, we'll see how it goes."

---

With Freyland taking on the Nova, Alpha-Ranger lance gets a new replacement mechwarrior with Freyland's old Quickdraw.

Moneyshot is assigned to Alpha-Urban Lance to compensate for the loss of the Raven. It's a little less electronic warfare and a little more "ripping things in half", but it'll do. Once we get a hold of a few extra double heat sinks, we can upgrade the Hunchback to be more like the 5M - the new model out of the Kali-Yama works (Kali-Yama being the company that makes the Hunchback's iconic AC/20). The fundamental change being the installation of double heat sinks and CASE for the autocannon ammo. With double heat sinks, the heat capacity of the 5M is way higher than it needs, so what we'll do is drop the heat sink count down to ten (for a total capacity of twenty) from thirteen, which will allow us to install an extra two tons of ammo and upgrade the small pulse laser to a medium while still retaining the ability to alpha strike without overheating. Zarathud will get the same upgrade.

Corporal Dorothy "Atrophy" Schmidt joins us during our time on Outreach, recruited into Beta-Assault lance and driving the Annihilator, having impressed a few of our mechwarriors driving a Rifleman during some simulated matches while we were interviewing recruits.

TheMix gets a little bit of poetic justice, being able to drive one of the salvaged Mad Dogs - in fact, the one that put a hole through the back of his Crusader.

The omni-pods turn out great, we can easily swap weapons in and out; it's just that a lot of it is busted all to hell so our tech spend more than half the trip to Outreach welding away in the hangars. It's not just guns: you can do heat sinks, a targeting computer... Lich even suggests the idea of drop-in/drop-out jump jets, which can definitely be done.

Our "dreams" of putting a Mist Lynx back together don't quite work out: none of the Mist Lynxes we've salvaged have an intact right torso section or a right leg. So we strip out the heat sinks, armor and guns and trade the chassis to the Wolf's Dragoons for some Inner Sphere-grade double heat sinks.

In a second disappointment, our techs are also only able to put together two Timber Wolves. The "B" chassis that we salvaged is just too damaged and we don't have the spare parts for it after pulling the junked "Prime" apart.

We're also only able to put two Stormcrows together, but that's enough to equip the mechwarriors who requested them.

Our techs continually bitch about the clan mechs being a horrible pain to maintain, so we wind up assigning dedicated tech teams to each clan mech. Normally, we've gotten to the point where our techs are good enough that they can service a couple of mechs each day, but with these clan prima donnas, a tech team is lucky if they finish all the parts necessary in one day.

---

Wolf's Hellbringer starts out pretty good - all the equipment we add fits into the omni-pods nicely, and the heat is now much more manageable - you can fire both PPCs and the three medium lasers, the jump jets work great, the additional heat sinks greatly reduce the heat load, and it's actually a serviceable mech.

And then we try to mount more armor on it, because its lack of armor made it real easy to dispatch. Most Inner Sphere chassis come with mounting points for just that sort of activity. The clanners, though, decided that they don't need to change the amount of armor on a mech - the omni-pods come at a price, which is that they obscure the additional armor mounting hardpoints. So, if we want to increase the armor on Wolf's mech (and, incidentally, any of the other clan mechs; our techs check), we'll have to take the omni-pods out and rig up the weapons and jump jets directly to the chassis. Which is a shame, as it means we won't be able to swap weapons (and any other equipment) load out entirely in a couple of hours.

But it's also a shame when a stiff breeze breaches the armor on your irreplaceable clan mech.

So, for the mechs where it matters, which do we want to prioritize? This affects any mechs with clan ferro-fibrous armor or ones where we want to bump the armor amount up. So pretty much everything except the Nova and Dire Wolf.
[] The extra protection is more important than mid-contract weapons tweaks
[] Mid-contract weapons tweaks are more important than extra armor protection

[AN: Good lord that was a lot of repairs; literally two in-game months of non-stop work in transit and then another in-game month on Outreach. I'll try to plow through the rest of the customizations and post one more update; then updates will be "sporadic" until after New Years.]
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess I lean towards the omni-mech capabilities than the extra armor, but I don't feel strongly about it.

Also, in terms of the flavor text here:
El Guapo watches the techs mount the replacement head assembly on the Dire Wolf, then looks at the mech's technical specs.

"Man... no PPCs." he mutters.

"You can put PPCs in the arms." the nearby tech suggests.

"Yeah, but if they're the extended-range ones with the insta-blast instead of the firing delay, then I'll have to re-learn how to shoot them."

The tech shrugs. "We can put regular PPCs in there, too, but you know their performance characteristics. And if you want four of them, you'll have to ditch one of the ultra autocannons or something. But they're all in omni-pods, so we can just swap it out in a couple hours if you don't like it, no factory time needed."

El Guapo nods. "Ok, let's keep it as is for now, then, we'll see how it goes."
Does this mean that the "PPC specialization" ability doesn't apply to Clan PPCs? Or doesn't apply to ER PPCs generally?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:40 am Does this mean that the "PPC specialization" ability doesn't apply to Clan PPCs? Or doesn't apply to ER PPCs generally?
Both; just regular PPCs. You'll be able to re-train it, given enough time. Although your dude is like 50 now, so that might be the next generation El Guapo.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:56 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:40 am Does this mean that the "PPC specialization" ability doesn't apply to Clan PPCs? Or doesn't apply to ER PPCs generally?
Both; just regular PPCs. You'll be able to re-train it, given enough time. Although your dude is like 50 now, so that might be the next generation El Guapo.
Ah. Well then I'll definitely stick with the base Dire Wolf loadout with minor modifications (along the lines of dropping the LRMs for heat sinks).
Black Lives Matter.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 pm Our techs continually bitch about the clan mechs being a horrible pain to maintain, so we wind up assigning dedicated tech teams to each clan mech. Normally, we've gotten to the point where our techs are good enough that they can service a couple of mechs each day, but with these clan prima donnas, a tech team is lucky if they finish all the parts necessary in one day.
Issue the Warhawk tech team a crate of toothbrushes so that they can properly keep the mech clean and shiny. :D
NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 pm [x] The extra protection is more important than mid-contract weapons tweaks
Extra armour at least in my Warhawk's case.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Thank you for the Nova.

Thank you even more for your efforts and story-telling.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TheMix gets a little bit of poetic justice, being able to drive one of the salvaged Mad Dogs - in fact, the one that put a hole through the back of his Crusader.
:horse:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Generally, I'm always in favor of more defense over offense. For better or worse. I figure if you can last longer, you'll eventually win. Never been a fan of DPS races to see who can kill before they get killed.

However, I'm okay either way. I don't have the experience to effectively judge the value of swapping armaments mid-contract.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 pm [x] The extra protection is more important than mid-contract weapons tweaks
Extra armor for me as well if it's a thing for the Stormcrow.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Wait, let me see if I understand it correctly. Take my new Timberwolf, which comes standard with 12t of Clan FF.

In order to keep Omni capabilities, I can only mount up to 12t of either IS or Clan FF armor? If I want to go over that, as I'd have to to match the original with IS FF as it's less efficient ton-for-ton, I'd need to treat it as a normal mech?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 pm [] The extra protection is more important than mid-contract weapons tweaks
[x] Mid-contract weapons tweaks are more important than extra armor protection
Someone needs to advocate for the unsafe option, and it might as well be me.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:33 am Wait, let me see if I understand it correctly. Take my new Timberwolf, which comes standard with 12t of Clan FF.

In order to keep Omni capabilities, I can only mount up to 12t of either IS or Clan FF armor? If I want to go over that, as I'd have to to match the original with IS FF as it's less efficient ton-for-ton, I'd need to treat it as a normal mech?
That's correct. It looks like armor is treated as "fixed equipment", so changing the amount of armor triggers some kind of "changing fixed equipment disables omni-pod functionality" rule. Looked it up in the "Tech Manual" and, apparently, the problem is that the number of critical slots that the armor takes up changes.
Black Lives Matter
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

[x] Mid-contract weapons tweaks are more important than extra armor protection

I was planning on 12.5t IS FF, I can make do with a ERSL or something instead.
Captainwolfer

Post by Captainwolfer »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:14 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:33 am Wait, let me see if I understand it correctly. Take my new Timberwolf, which comes standard with 12t of Clan FF.

That's correct. It looks like armor is treated as "fixed equipment", so changing the amount of armor triggers some kind of "changing fixed equipment disables omni-pod functionality" rule. Looked it up in the "Tech Manual" and, apparently, the problem is that the number of critical slots that the armor takes up changes.
Wait, but mechs like the Hellbringer don't have critical slots for armor? Since it has standard armor. I guess its a programming/technicality thing.
The order is- Lady Harrington, and no mercy!
moleymoleymoley

Yeah I'll prioritise armour over weaponry plz, also, merry Christmas everyone!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 checks with the supply chief to ensure all the Space Turkeys, Land Hams and Primal Ribs are on hand for our Christmas feast.

"Merry Christmas team! Welcome to all the new faces.

It's been a fine year for the company.

The clan has been a tough new enemy but we are getting all kinds of goodies from them, that will ensure we remain one of the top merc units in all the Inner Sphere!

Let's celebrate and enjoy this festive time.

Soon, we will get our Christmas wish and get a chance to kick some more clan cans and take more of their goodies!!!

Enjoy!
Zenn7"

<Make festive speech for the grunts, check>
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

After Zenn7 finishes I'll give a few remarks as well. I imagine the boys will want to hear from the leader of the mercenary company.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:24 pm After Zenn7 finishes I'll give a few remarks as well. I imagine the boys will want to hear from the leader of the mercenary company.
It's nice of the company lunatic to say a few words after the leader is done.

(The funny part will be when you finally outlast all the rest of the senior officers to actually take over leadership of the company).
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:10 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:24 pm After Zenn7 finishes I'll give a few remarks as well. I imagine the boys will want to hear from the leader of the mercenary company.
It's nice of the company lunatic to say a few words after the leader is done.

(The funny part will be when you finally outlast all the rest of the senior officers to actually take over leadership of the company).
Fairly certain there will be a blimp-related misfortune before that happens.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:10 pm
We'll see who is laughing after the Blimp Brigade revolutionizes warfare in the Inner Sphere.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

In the end, for most of the clan mechs, we have to ditch the omni-pods: we just don't have the clan-spec ferro-fibrous armor to support it. We do keep Lich's Mad Cat as an Omni-mech - we've got about 40-50 tons of spare clan-spec ferro-fibrous armor from all the other mechs we stripped, so we should be able to sustain operations for some time.

Lich re-assigns his Griffin to one of his lancemates who'd been previously driving an Ostroc, which was definitely the low performer of the group. "Don't screw it up." He tells the corporal. We do wind up having to pull the clan-spec PPC off the Griffin to accomodate one of our clan mech refits, so the poor guy will have to make do with a standard-spec PPC.

The other re-fits go reasonably well. Moley's Summoner is able to retain its original weapons load thanks to the realization that we can take a bunch of heat sinks out, the Executioner drops the ultra AC/20 but gains an extended-range large laser to replace the small laser, Wolf's Hellbringer is hooked up with some jump jets and armor. Moley's old Thunderbolt goes to El Guapo's Alpha-Heavy Lance.

Bass swaps with SgtSoldier, the former going to Wolf's Gamma-Striker lance while the latter goes to Gamma-Probe Lance. Refitting the Stormcrow with Inner-Sphere grade armor wasn't too bad - it had way too many heat sinks to begin with, so we just drop a few and can maintain the same level of protection.

By the end of July, we're rested, refitted and ready to rock. We even scoop up a bunch of extra Inner Sphere-grade double heat sinks. They're not as compact as the clan ones, but when they're integrated into the engine, it doesn't matter.

A few big things happen in May. First, ComStar troops challenge and defeat combined Clan forces on the world of Tukayyid. Invoking a battle challenge, with Tukayyid serving as a proxy for Terra. If the clans win, ComStar cedes control over Terra. If they lose, they will cease attacking the Inner Sphere for the next fifteen years, staying on their side of the territory they currently occupy. Over the course of three weeks, multiple regiments battle it out for control over the otherwise insignificant agricultural world. Despite their superior technology, the Clan forces are crushed, scoring only a few minor victories as ComGuard forces use combined arms, ambushes, superior logistics and prepared positions in favorable terrain to inflict massive damage on the invaders, preventing them from achieving most of their objectives.

The Clans depart Tukayyid, bloodied and bruised, and a reckoning is likely in the works for their leadership. Despite the cessation of the overall invasion, most Inner Sphere military analysts expect raids to continue to and from the various clan occupation zones, which should provide plenty of work for any mercenaries looking for something to do.

The second major series of events that happens is a half-baked attempt by ComStar to take over the entire Inner Sphere. Apparently, the idea is to enforce a total communications interdiction on all Inner Sphere powers, as well as the clans occupying Inner Sphere worlds, then use that as leverage to replace current Inner Sphere leadership.

Thanks to internal information leaks, refusal on the part of many ComStar personnel to follow this plan, and general incompetence, this goes incredibly poorly. Most Inner Sphere powers are able to secure most HPGs in their territory with little effort. In the end, ComStar's Primus, Myndo Waterly, is replaced by Anastasius Focht upon his return to Terra from Tukayyid, notching up two galactic-scale wins for the man in the space of a couple of months. Not bad. Upon replacement, Primus Focht immediately terminates ComStar's military operations across the Inner Sphere. ComStar acolytes still man the HPGs, as they are the only ones who know how to work the damn things, but the organization's reputation has been severely damaged as a result. Outreach wasn't really affected - the Wolf's Dragoons weren't exactly on good terms with ComStar to begin with.

Finally, on June 17th, 3052, First Prince Hanse Davion passes away of a heart attack. He is survived by his wife, Archon Melissa Steiner of the Lyran Commonwealth, and their five children - Victor, Katherine, Peter, Yvonne and Arthur. Our older mechwarriors may not have always agreed with his policies, but his countrymen always paid well and only sometimes tried to screw us over. His passing, in some ways, represents a changing of the guard to the next generation of Inner Sphere leaders. Whether they will do a better job than their predecessors - well, it's pretty unlikely. But no matter what they do, their activities will always generate mercenary work.

Speaking of which - business is absolutely booming on Outreach. We basically have to beat contract offers off with a stick. Various interests in the Capellan Confederation want to have a go at the Taurians and the St. Ives Compact. The Dracs are looking to hire mercs to raid clan-held territory. FedCom is out to get everyone, mostly the Capellans and Free Worlders, but there are a few contracts out on the spinward periphery against the Outworlds Alliance and the anti-coreward periphery against the Taurians. People in the Free Worlds League are offering contracts against the surrounding periphery powers, FedCom-held territory and themselves. The Taurians are looking to hire somebody to raid a nation called the "Aurigan Coalition" (which, if you ask most of us, is a made-up name and they probably just want to double cross us and steal our clan tech).

Since our colony, Dowles, is one jump away from St. Ives, we don't particularly have any interest in starting beef with the St. Ives Compact. We also don't have any real interest in starting beef with FedCom, at least not with actual FedCom. Corporate contracts are probably ok, though.

Here are some contracts that jump out at us. Our command staff's opinion is that it'll be good to shake all this clan tech down before having another go at the clans.

Redfield - Objective Raid Relief
Did you guys know that agriculture is big business? As in, "hiring a batallion of mercenaries driving battlemechs with combined arms support" big business? Technically, two batallions. It seems that the Capellan Agricultural-Textile Combine has a problem with several FedCom corporations trying to establish crop production on the world of Redfield; apparently, it'll undercut CATCs profit margins in the non-synthetic textile business. Either that, or Chancellor Liao (no, not that one, he's dead. And not that one either, she's dead, too. It's Sun-Tzu) wants to see what Prince Victor does when someone sticks a bone in his craw. We'll be working alongside another mercenary company (Regular/D rating), the job being to "temporarily seize control of the means of production to send a message that this activity will not be tolerated", with a CATC representative on hand to "advise regarding company priorities". Sounds like they want us to blow up a bunch of farming equipment. Expected opposition is "planetary militia and corporate mercenaries" in roughly batallion strength.

Nitty gritty details:
Regular/D allies and opposition
Liaison command
60% transport coverage
80% salvage
60% battle loss compensation
15 "advanced equipment purchase" vouchers
4 months contract duration
1.7 billion C-Bills expected profit
3 months travel time one way

Good pay for quick work against reasonable opposition. The employer is technically a publicly traded corporation, but it's a Capellan corporation, so they're really an extension of the state. Under the previous two leaders, we haven't had a good history with the Capellans (mostly on account of spending a lot of time stomping all over their planets and shooting them), but maybe Sun-Tzu Liao isn't a crazed backstabber like his mother and grandfather and he's instituted a cultural shift within his nation?

Graham IV - Garrison Duty/Relief
It seems the brou-ha-ha over Star League tech dig sites on Graham IV isn't over. The Marik concern that employed us there continued digging and extracting, with the Blue Menace mercenary company reaping a bloody toll on anyone trying to access said dig sites.

Then a few months ago the contract ended, the Marik guys ran out of money and the Blue Menace took off, the planetary militia opting not to stick around the dig sites, either. Now, all extraction operations have paused while the various merc groups and treasure hunters remaining in-system square off.

A small Draconis Combine manufacturing concern wants to slide in to this mess and get some tech samples - our job would be to defend their dig site while they do so. They're only paying for one lance (as they already have some mercs working for them in the area but need a little highly trained supplement), so we can take this as a side contract while we do other bigger work. The main attraction here is the opportunity to salvage a bunch of Star League tech. It's not clan stuff, but it can help beef our mechs up quite significantly, especially if we get a hold of more double heat sinks.

Regular/D allies
Regular/A opposition
Liaison command
100% transport coverage
80% salvage
80% battle loss compensation
0.6 million C-Bills expected profit
1 month travel time one way

Nestor - Recon Raid/Relief
Nestor's only known asset is the home of Nellus Academy, a four-year school where the nobility of the Free Worlds League sends their kids in preparation for them to join the Free Worlds League Military. One of our company's original founders (who, by the way, retired a few years ago and is now married and expecting her first child) attended this institution. Given her original lack of competence as a commander and mechwarrior (her callsign was "Scrub"), which took decades of work to hone to a deadly edge instead, this does not speak highly of the academy's military-area course work.

Apparently, academic espionage has become big business, and a competing military academy in Steiner space sent a bunch of mercenaries to harass and raid various facilities around the planet. We're not really sure how that helps the performance of the Steiner cadets. Perhaps this is some kind of feud between nobility. But it doesn't matter, as they're willing to pay for three companies of battlemechs to a) spring the mercenaries loose and b) conduct espionage type and disruptive activities against various targets on the planet.

Regular/B allies
Regular/D opposition
Liaison command
100% transport coverage
40% salvage
100% battle loss compensation
1.06 billion C-Bills expected profit
2 month travel time one way

Masterson - Objective Raid/Relief
Masterson is an unremarkable agricultural breadbasket in the Capellan Confederation. They use all kinds of cool hydroponics and advanced agricultural techniques to produce various food products in high demand across CapCon space and beyond.

Which is why an agricultural concern in Free Worlds League space wants to hire two companies of mercenary battlemechs to go blow this stuff up. According to the listing, "we've had it up to here with these stupid commies undercutting our prices with their cheap labor and knockoffs." When pressed for details, the agri-business rep admits that they've already sent some mercenaries there, who proceeded to get themselves shot up and stuck on world; our second job is to prevent them from getting captured one way or the other. Expected opposition is mostly scrub planetary and corporate militia, although, we may run into elements of McCarron's Armored Cavalry, which would be less scrubby. The good part is that we'd be on our own; so just get in, get the job done; and get out, no having to listen to or babysit obnoxious liaisons. Salvage is kind of crap, as we basically have to split it with the existing mercs.

Regular/D allies
Regular/D opposition
Independent command
100% transport coverage
40% salvage
80% battle loss compensation
6 months expected contract duration
0.8 billion C-Bills expected profit

Sakhalin Objective Raid/Relief
Captured by the Federated Suns force in the 4th Succession War, Sakhalin is a cold, dry mining world. A Free Worlds League representative is interested in retaining our services to aid some Capellan-backed mercenaries who have gotten in over their heads against the local planetary militia and mercenaries. Simple job: get in, blow up some minining facilities, get out. Salvage is pretty good, too.

Regular/D allies
Regular/D opposition
Independent command
100% transport coverage
80% salvage
40% battle loss compensation
5 months expected contract duration
1.03 billion C-Bills expected profit

Genoa Extraction Raid/Relief
Another world captured by Hanse Davion's forces in the 4th Succession War, Genoa is another cold, frozen wasteland. Apparently, it used to be a lush, vibrant world, but, several thousand years ago, a rogue planetoid passed by and slightly altered its orbit to be just a little bit further away from the local star. Nobody bothered to send a probe to double check before firing up their jump drives. The colonists made do as best they could, establishing underground habitats while putting all the polluting industry on the surface.

All of this is great for our mechs, as it'll help keep them cool, while we don't have to worry about collateral damage too much. Well, we don't have to worry about collateral damage anyway, since we're on the offensive here. The job is to raid several facilities, seizing blueprints and samples of ... some kind of something not directly related to battlemechs, so the mechwarriors doing the negotiations kind of blank out. We'll be working alongside a liaison and some bottom of the barrel mercenaries running diversionary attacks, expecting to face FedCom-equipped planetary militia.

Regular/D allies
Regular/D opposition
Liaison command
100% transport coverage
50% salvage
60% battle loss compensation
6 months expected contract duration
1.5 billion C-Bills expected profit
1 month travel time one way

All in all, some good job offers. Seems we've gained a reputation as a group that can be trusted to complete jobs at which others have failed. We have 16 lances of mechs, so most of these jobs are mutually exclusive due to the expected force level commitment; except for Graham IV, which can be taken alongside most of the other contracts as a little side job. The employers aren't paying for the extra lances, so we'll be eating the expenses, but on the otherhand, applying overwhelming force will enable us to get these done faster.

[] Redfield - Objective Raid/Relief; 16 Lances
[] Graham IV - Garrison Duty/Relief; 1 Lance
[] Nestor IV - Recon Raid/Relief; 11 Lances
[] Masterson - Objective Raid/Relief; 7 Lances
[] Sakhalin - Objective Raid/Relief; 10 Lances
[] Genoa - Extraction Raid/Relief; 15 Lances
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:28 pm [] Redfield - Objective Raid/Relief; 16 Lances
[x] Graham IV - Garrison Duty/Relief; 1 Lance
[x] Sakhalin - Objective Raid/Relief; 10 Lances
Definitely take that Graham job, chance to get more Star League tech and doesn't seem overly high risk.

Sakhalin is another chance for decent salvage. We don't particularly need money, and none of these are offering anything besides money, experience and salvage. We'll get experience any place we go. Let's try to get some useful salvage to keep upgrading our company.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:56 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:28 pm [] Redfield - Objective Raid/Relief; 16 Lances
Definitely take that Graham job, chance to get more Star League tech and doesn't seem overly high risk.

Sakhalin is another chance for decent salvage. We don't particularly need money, and none of these are offering anything besides money, experience and salvage. We'll get experience any place we go. Let's try to get some useful salvage to keep upgrading our company.
Sakhalin was the one that jumped out to me. I am definitely tired of having to deal with liasons.

Graham IV seems tempting. But my recollection is that we actually didn't get any fancy tech last time. I'm a little concerned that this will be a wash as well. Or is there a guarantee that some actually exists this time?

Black Lives Matter

Leraje

Post by Leraje »

Magadan... err... that is Sakhalin and Graham.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So why did the Clans agree to the Turkayyid thing? Honor?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:03 pm So why did the Clans agree to the Turkayyid thing? Honor?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It's pretty much their entire culture: you want something, instead of smashing it up and taking it, you agree on a duel so you don't smash anything valuable in the process of getting what you want. Said duel must be, on paper, balanced and fair. Of course, things are tricky when, say, an Elemental challenges a Mech jock over something, so I think you are allowed to bring your friends? There's a "5 Elementals = 1 Mech" thing going on.

And they really, really want Earth. It's a cultural thing for them, afaik. So, ComStar, in their role as "custodians of Earth", offered to do the ritual challenge thing. And they won hard.

At least that's what I remember.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

TheMix wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:01 am

Sakhalin was the one that jumped out to me. I am definitely tired of having to deal with liasons.

Graham IV seems tempting. But my recollection is that we actually didn't get any fancy tech last time. I'm a little concerned that this will be a wash as well. Or is there a guarantee that some actually exists this time?
Both these options have good salvage percentages so I’m partial towards those contracts but I have the same concerns about the quality of salvage in the Graham IV contract. But you can’t win if you don’t play so I could see us trying again to score some Star League toys.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:03 pm So why did the Clans agree to the Turkayyid thing? Honor?
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:45 pm It's pretty much their entire culture: you want something, instead of smashing it up and taking it, you agree on a duel so you don't smash anything valuable in the process of getting what you want. Said duel must be, on paper, balanced and fair. Of course, things are tricky when, say, an Elemental challenges a Mech jock over something, so I think you are allowed to bring your friends? There's a "5 Elementals = 1 Mech" thing going on.

And they really, really want Earth. It's a cultural thing for them, afaik. So, ComStar, in their role as "custodians of Earth", offered to do the ritual challenge thing. And they won hard.
Basically, yeah.

I forget which book it's in, but the guy that happened to be the leader was a "Warden" (a faction advocating against invading the Inner Sphere). If he called the invasion off at that point, he'd have gotten torn apart by a bunch of angry elementals, so, instead, he decided to go with the proxy fight option which he set up with the ComStar percentor guy. He basically set up the fight so that the other clans all got shitty objectives that required better logistics to accomplish, while Clan Wolf got the "easy" job and came prepared, thus kicking ass; the idea being to increase Wolf's prestige while screwing all the other guys over and still halting the invasion "above board" as defined by clan honor concepts.

It worked pretty well, but the Crusader clans didn't quite buy it - him and Clan Wolf got messed up anyway (as detailed in the Mechwarrior 2 video game, which runs parallel to another book).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I thought that Mechwarrior 2 was about the Trial of Refusal around whether to invade the inner sphere in the first place.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:43 pm
TheMix wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:01 am

Both these options have good salvage percentages so I’m partial towards those contracts but I have the same concerns about the quality of salvage in the Graham IV contract. But you can’t win if you don’t play so I could see us trying again to score some Star League toys.
Yeah, Sakhalin + Graham makes sense. I'm not too optimistic about the chances of snagging some extra Star League tech after our last experience on Graham, but seems like we're going to have a few lances sitting around anyway so might as well make a little extra scratch and get a small chance of getting some additional Star League tech.

Genoa also seems like a decent option as well.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The Nestor one looked intriguing only because I’m curious about what missions we would be doing at Mechwarrior U! Are there fraternities that we can pledge and carry out crazy hijinks? :wink:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:52 pm The Nestor one looked intriguing only because I’m curious about what missions we would be doing at Mechwarrior U! Are there fraternities that we can pledge and carry out crazy hijinks? :wink:
Space panty raids!
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:07 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:52 pm The Nestor one looked intriguing only because I’m curious about what missions we would be doing at Mechwarrior U! Are there fraternities that we can pledge and carry out crazy hijinks? :wink:
Space panty raids!
Toga! Toga! Toga!
Black lives matter!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:45 pm I thought that Mechwarrior 2 was about the Trial of Refusal around whether to invade the inner sphere in the first place.
That's exactly correct, just that it took place five years after Tukayyid. The Crusader guys were basically advocating breaking the Tukayyid truce while the Wardens were... not. We'll probably be around for when it turns out to be a moot point.
Black Lives Matter