Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by Daehawk »

Something about this Legendary ME3 doesn't feel right. Mostly it is all the control that feels wrong...even after Ive rebound the buttons.

I played the original trilogy 3 or 4 times through. Ive recently finished LE 1 and 2. But this 3 feels so wrong to control. Stuff like layout of the HUD, me rebinding squad controls to other keys yet the game is forcing me to use the old binds in this beginning turtorial crap on Mars...even so much as to lock Shep in place until I do it.

Other keys Ive not touched at all and it will tell me to use them and nothing happens when I do...and it wont let me move onward until I do its stupid tutorial crap.

Also I bound 1 and 2 on my keypad to rally and to all team members attack...but they wont obey the order. They say yes sir and affirmative then just stand there. But if I use the key it USED to be like Q and E then they do it.

If this doesn't improve I may just not play 3 LE.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know who thought it was a good idea to combine the run, use, and cover mechanics into one damn button. Id like to slap them. I dont remember this being this way in previous non Legendary play throughs. Its SO DAMN wrong. Run and cover would be fine together but damn them for putting use in with it. lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is weird. Im playing ME3 Legendary and Im helping Aria take back her station....and Ive finished this game twice before and never ever done this. Its a totally new area and thing to me. its wild. Also the colors with all the glowing stuff feels like a different game. I am having such a fun time with all this new stuff. Its great. Just feels weird that its in ME3.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

IIRC, Aria's station is a DLC, so maybe you didn't buy it back then?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:01 am IIRC, Aria's station is a DLC, so maybe you didn't buy it back then?
Perhaps so. I didn't have it before or Leviathan.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahahahahahah I just had the funniest non interactive dialog with Conrad Verner.. I mean I was rolling hahahahahahahah. So funny the lines they did with him and Commander Shepard. Im glad I was nice to him and supported him through the other two games just to hear this dialog exchange I just had with him on the citadel docks lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahahahah Im running the citadel missions now..the apartment ones where you're chasing and fighting that certain someone. I was running with Rex and Liara and it gave me a chance to change up the team so I went with Garrus and Ashley and as we're getting in the cab with Joker Rex says "Awwww I wanted to go" and The Prothean Javik says "50,000 years later and Im still not picked"..hahahhaha I felt bad..poor guys...poor Rexy hehehhehehhehe. Oh man. I love the detail they put into this.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun with the Legendary Edition as of late as well. I'd played the first two games earlier, but up until the Legendary Edition, I'd never played the 3rd one. I feel like they've put even more attention to detail with the characters in the 3rd game. I mean, I felt like some of the characters, like Liara for instance who I felt was cold and distant in the second game, felt more like themselves in the 3rd game. There's definitely a ton more polish in the 3rd game too, in the way of cinematics.

The gameplay though, felt like a step back. I really miss the questing style of the first game, with its focus on exploration. I grew to like the switch in gameplay style in the 2nd game, but I wish the 3rd game had been a mix between the two. Instead, the missions and their locations end up feeling less unique due to their design choices.

I think I'm just about done with the 3rd game, coming up to the final encounter.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GL Pick your color :)..I installed the happy ending mod.
Spoiler:
Still though I would prefer to save Anderson some way.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

See what you mean about the color. They kind of flipped it, didn't they? ;)

Well, just finished the game tonight. Quite an impressive trilogy from beginning to end. Was quite satisfying.
Spoiler:
Just one question. When you encounter the Illusive Man for the last time, even though I had maxed out on paragon, the last dialogue choices given to me were greyed out. Any specific reason? Is it a bug? Only had access to the regular dialogue at that particular point.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:30 pm See what you mean about the color. They kind of flipped it, didn't they? ;)

Well, just finished the game tonight. Quite an impressive trilogy from beginning to end. Was quite satisfying.
Spoiler:
Just one question. When you encounter the Illusive Man for the last time, even though I had maxed out on paragon, the last dialogue choices given to me were greyed out. Any specific reason? Is it a bug? Only had access to the regular dialogue at that particular point.
From what I recall, if you, at any point in any conversation with that NPC choose an option other than the 'good' (or 'bad') dialogue option, even once, it disables those options in the end.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, I'm pretty sure I've always selected either good or bad anytime I've had the opportunity with them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Besides the bad ending I didn't like two other thing about the ending ..to do with characters ...

If you dont want the end spoiled for you or anyone else that reads this DO NOT open this spoiler.

SPOILER
Spoiler:
I dont not agree with Andersons death or The Illusive Mans and his being indoctrinated.

Im sure Anderson's was did for emotion. Someone had to die..guess Shep wasn't enough. I can mod Shep's out but not Anderson's. I dont like his death. It feels so like they want to be dramatic but they fail and it feels like a waste to me. He could have been in future releases.

Now Illusive I dont like because he was a great great character and fun villain. In some way not totally evil to the core as his main goal was keeping mankind safe in a galaxy of not mankinds. But he did it as a racist and an asshole and in all the wrong ways. To him the end justified any means.
Also it was Martin Sheen for Miranda bootie sake lol. I didn't even like him indoctrinated. Yes I can see it fit perfectly with him and the trilogy story. He was totally off the board and alone with his bad guy way of life and had implants. I still would love to know what all his implants were as I could only decern the eyes. So it was like he was partly indoc'd already.
He could have also been great in future releases. He was a great character.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I didn't really mind the ending, especially when you consider it would have been very difficult to please everybody. And given that the 3rd game was basically like a war movie, the fact that key people died wasn't unexpected.

I like how Ashley was redesigned in the 3rd game. They fixed her character model looking cross-eyed.

And is it just me or did Miranda have an unusually big head compared to the rest of her body in the second game? It's like the porportions were way off, and it's something that's always bugged me. They seemed to have resized it in the 3rd game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a good ways into 3 and haven't seen Miranda yet this time. I 'might' have saw her quickly on the Citadel bot sure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The ending wasn't well done the way it was, but I also don't want a happy-happy ending in which everyone survives unscathed. The game leaned a lot on sacrifice and service, and ending like an episode of Buck Rogers, with everyone happy and laughing on the way home with a one liner and EDI dropping a "biddi-biddi-biddi" just doesn't fit.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's exactly my read on it. I'm happy enough to know
Spoiler:
that the rest of the crew survived. Shepard sacrifices himself for the rest of humanity, and his crew gets to live on. That's about as happy as it could be without getting all sappy, and it fits the tone they were going for.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At least the new ME supposed brings back people. I grew up on Buck Rogers endings and love and prefer them.

I saw a movie once as a little tiny kid about some elephants and they were the good guys of the movie and in the end they were all killed. It kinda broke me. I cried and cried until my grandmother had to explain about movies and the fake stuff they did. She asked me if Id seen anything near that end that seemed out of place and I could remember the film sorta blinked before they died so they edited in fake elephants I realized. But I still could figure why the good guys lost.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe, but storytelling in media has grown up a lot since the 1970s. Having the good guys always win, everything's resolved in the best possible way, the hero gets the girl. Even by the early 90s that sort of thing was laughed at. You just can't expect people to end a serious, mature story that way anymore.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I know and I disliked all that stuff in those decades. Always dark and sad and gloomy. Im glad to see its kinda going back to good endings for stuff . Got so sick of dark all the time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is a happy medium between 'absurdly sweet' and 'everybody dies.'

Here's why it's changed:

Without knowing that there is a possibility that things could end badly, why would anybody be worried when things are looking bad for the hero?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 pm There is a happy medium between 'absurdly sweet' and 'everybody dies.'

Here's why it's changed:

Without knowing that there is a possibility that things could end badly, why would anybody be worried when things are looking bad for the hero?
There are millions of people out there that willingly watch Hallmark movies, so apparently there is an audience for things where you know how it will end even before you start watching/playing it.
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

gbasden wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 pm There is a happy medium between 'absurdly sweet' and 'everybody dies.'

Here's why it's changed:

There are millions of people out there that willingly watch Hallmark movies, so apparently there is an audience for things where you know how it will end even before you start watching/playing it.
The wife loves the Netflix equivalent of hallmark romcoms, where you can tell the whole story just from the trailer or synopsis. I did ask her and she said she finds its relaxing to shut off worrying about things for a couple hours.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:31 am

Here's why it's changed:

True, but most of them aren't going to playing a game about soldiers fighting off an alien invasion.

I'm not being completely contrary - there absolutely is a market for games (or shows!) with happy endings, which you know from the start are going to end well, and there are lots of good games (and shows!) that have them (including tons that I've enjoyed.) It's just not reasonable to expect them in an game that's gritty and 'realistic' from the beginning. It's pretty obvious that Mass Effect isn't a happy ending game halfway through the first title.

You know that a Far Cry, Halo, or Subnautica title may have bittersweet moments, but they're generally going to leave you feeling good. Just like you know that a Deus Ex, Cyberpunk 2077, Max Payne, Witcher, or any Bioware RPG may - but are far more likely to see you scraping by only after loss and sacrifice.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 pm

I mean, the game quite literally underlines the fact that they're all at war, and that not everyone will come out of it alive. The whole game is pretty much a setup towards the final confrontation. They set up the tone from the very beginning that they're in dire straights.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife watched all those Hallmark and same type movies and loved them. I caught The Good Witch online and almost watched it..we watched those. I remember a movie like these in the hospital when my wife had her original heart surgery. A girl sent to write the book about a famous but rude chef falls in love with him. I loved it.

Anyways....last night i went to fire up ME3 L and it was loading and crashed to a blue screen forcing a total reboot. Before it got done i simply went to bed. I hope today I dont come to find its corrupted somehow. If so Im done and say I finished lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think something has gone screwy with my ME3 play through. Ive been romancing Ashley this entire series play and now that I was doing the apartment addon its as if she is no longer my romance. In fact her and James were hitting it off at the party and in the group photo instead of her beside me looking at each other I was alone in the middle of the couch. Then at the return to Normandy bit I only talked to Joker instead of having Ashley in my arms and talking. WTF happened? I followed the romance path like I always do. Not sure where it went sideways.

This sucks. Guess Ill be alone in my cabin before the big fight lol. Hello right hand old friend.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh God. I just did that thing where you invite James to the apartment and he noticed the gym punching bag . Then you do the chins ups ..200 and something to best his record and its all left and right mouse click while Shepard holds onto the chin bar. Renegade/ Whatever the good side variant is.

Started out easy but by the 100 mark I was starting to question why I was doing it lol. Started talking to myself.."You've been a gamer since the 70s you can do this" and such. By about 150 clicks of the mouse I was starting to wonder if I was being indoctrinated somehow with this repetitive viewing and clicking lol. It was flowing. I wasn't sure how many times I had to click left in the count and if I missed one then its a full restart ..oh God what did I get myself into.

LOL...To make matters worse...or maybe it helped me keep the flow going *click*click*click* I had plied myself with alcohol and my Delta 8 vape beforehand.

What a determined quest of concentration that was. I did it though. Got nothing for it lol..just James saying wow I beat his record and such . Oh well. It was there and I did it..its done heheeheh
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I seem to be having more trouble finding my quest objectives or items. Im having to alt tab and look up where stuff is. I dont recall having to do this on my other 2 or 3 play throughs. Im betting its this Legendary edition somehow. Something different.

Also even bigger missions are no longer marked on my galaxy map. So i cant find them . Some of course say where in the quest journal...but most aren't this time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ooops. I just realized what I think happened to my Ashley romance this time around. I was romancing her then it ended for some reason. I had forgot to talk to her...at all. I completely forgot she was on the ship. For some reason she was in the observation quarters. I would run around and talk to all crew after each mission...but forgot her. Damnit. I really wanted to do that romance this time. I wonder if theres a way to restart it or hack it in.

In fact I didn't think of her until my yeoman told me she wanted to see me..i was like "Ohhh shit. Now I know why lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok found a Legendary version save editor and fixed my romance. I even had my first romantic meeting on the citadel as soon as i loaded it....it allowed me to set the roman lvl from 15 to past 100. Wasn't sure where to put it so guessed and used 85. Im thinking its a progression level..i might better read online and set it for more...not sure...and if its too far back I may beat the game before it gets to all the cutscenes and have no ending.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish the game made it easier to know who will talk to you? People show up on the map...when its on the station and you see them listed is almost a sure bet they want to talk to you. But on ship they are always on ship so show up on the map. I wish it would put a little star or symbol by the names of crew and others when they have something to say to you.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wish they would have revamped the mapping system with the Legendary Edition., not to mention the quest log. As it is, I felt both got progressively worse with each game. They were one of the more finicky aspects of the game for me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I mentioned the quest log. Having to alt tab to look up where this is or that. "Hey go get these for this guy thnx"..ummm where?...system even would be nice. And soem quests they gave me I cant even do until later in the story or the dang system doesn't even show up on the galaxy map.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, the quests you get that aren't even accessible until later. I was having a heck of a time with the 3rd game because two systems have a similar name, only one of them (the one you need to get to) only opens up later. I feel like the quest log was more useful and less vague in the first game if it referred to something specific. It's ironic because in the first game, the level design felt more open, whereas the 3rd game feels more linear. What the games have really needed is a custom waypoint system.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haha I bet it was the same two i was having trouble wit hand my mentioning it was because of them...one was Seliene Nebula or something and the other was another nebula.

That makes me wonder how cool a fully open world / universe Mass Effect would be. A truer RPG.

EDIT: LOL! I just now noticed all the monitor turn to face me if Im in Liara's room. I never noticed that before. If I spin around they do too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another small quest log niggle. I missed two quest during the omega quests...and I cant go back...and they wont go away from my quest log so take up space plus I see them each time and start to wonder if I did this then realize no I didn't.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:17 pm Haha I bet it was the same two i was having trouble wit hand my mentioning it was because of them...one was Seliene Nebula or something and the other was another nebula.
Yeah, that might be the one. You'd go to the system that feels more obvious, but it's not there, but in an entirely different unrelated system further in. At that point, the game felt like it was flat out trolling. The game really made my head spin at times.

One thing I've wondered about is why are some characters less interactable than others? I mean, like Zaeed in the second game doesn't seem like a fully fledged character, only says a few things and has no conversation system like the other characters when you talk to him in his quarters. He seems quite limited in scope compared to some of the others.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya he just stands there and says hi if you click him. Always feels weird. but I feel I need to check him every now and then just in case. After sleeping with Kelly Chambers again she just makes a remark about it or something like it then is done. Even James just sits at the poker table and say "You, uh, just gonna watch?" lol.

Im also tired of having to go to a mass gate to travel..sooooo slow lol. I know its basically the heart of the story but its boring now days. And on ship and station Shepard runs really really slow for a specter.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Popping my tiny head in here, and avoiding all spoiler talk, just to share my excitement that I'm almost done with Mass Effect 3. I've completed every side mission and DLC. I've looted every system. I don't think I can squeeze another point of Total Military Strength out of this space orange.

It's been quite a ride these past few years, playing the games and taking in the transmedia (the books, comics, and movie). There's so much good, quality stuff here. They really worked hard to make it special.

I like that I'm completing the Mass Effect series soon after the total solar eclipse. An eclipse was a recurring image in ME1, symbolizing something hidden. And it brings to mind that Total Eclipse of the Heart song, which to me is about surrendering to fate and finality. All these concepts resonate with me now that I'm close to discovering the ending that made so many gamers nerd-rage. Whatever happens, I'll welcome it.

I'm going to start the final missions this weekend. And when I'm done, I'll come up for air, gather my thoughts, and share them with you. Until then, I have to go. Turn around ...