The movie that is:

Unfortunately in theaters only.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Re: Nobody out this Friday

Post by hentzau »

Thought you were my team lead talking to us before a disaster recovery test weekend.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Any decent disaster recovery weekend should test the unavailability of at least one key member.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Seems like a weird time for a release. People are still uninclined to visit theaters, and don't action movies do better in the summer?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Saw this today and it was predictably great. One thing surprised me though:
Spoiler:
The trailers seemed to imply he was just a normal guy who snapped. Turns out he was a badass special forces type, who was trying to live a normal life.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have no plans to ever return to a movie theater but if..IF..I did it would be next year.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll consider going to a theater after I'm fully vaccinated AND the infection rate falls to background noise. I'm not a huge fan of movie theaters, but we traditionally see one during the summer (not this year), and one on either Thanksgiving, Christmas, or both. Best-case is we'll be able to resume our winter holiday tradition.

Until then, just tell me where I can stream it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The theater I went to has only been open for a week and was completely masked and socially distanced. There were about 8-10 people at that mid day screening.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I adore going to the movies, and in my youth I would often go and see two or three in a day on my own. Since marrying Mrs Nym we go less frequently, but as silly of a pastime as it is considering the expense, I still love it.

I have no plans to set foot in a theatre until covid is largely tamed. I had the urge when Tenant came out and would probably consider attending a matinee if I knew I'd have a few rows to myself, but it seems ill-advised and Mrs. Nym would probably be disgusted with me. I've been preaching not going out for non-essential reasons all throughout. I can excuse going out to get fast food, but taking in a show seems selfish.

Until then I'm happy to watch movies on my monitor like I have been since I was a teen and didn't want to share the family TV. Now of course we have a proper if relatively small TV, but I'd usually rather use my computer after Mrs. Nym has gone to bed anyway. Occasionally I'll even watch a movie on my phone in bed, but I usually reserve that for television content.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'll probably get around to seeing this in a theatre sometime next week or the following. Gotta go see Godzilla v Kong first.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:06 am I adore going to the movies, and in my youth I would often go and see two or three in a day on my own. Since marrying Mrs Nym we go less frequently, but as silly of a pastime as it is considering the expense, I still love it.
For me it's all about the popcorn. I think I may stop by a theater on my way home from work on Friday and buy a big tub to eat while watching Godzilla vs. Kong. :wub:
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Fresh popcorn is delicious, and the scent is inseparable from the moviegoing experience. But my problem with it has always been threefold:

- It's a rip-off. Yes, I know concessions are how theatres stay in business, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow forking over $5+ for a bag at the major chains.
- It's best when it's hot. If you opt for coliseum-size (i.e. small), you may still have popcorn left during the climax, but it won't be good popcorn.
- If you're a moderate mysophobe like me, buttered popcorn will foul up your hands till you have the chance to wash them. Napkins won't do the job. Wet naps, maybe... but I've never seen wet naps offered in a theatre. I can't stand having grubby hands throughout the film, it will distract me. Yeah, I know you don't watch a movie with your hands, but I'll feel it every time I move a finger. Yeah, I should probably start carrying a couple wet naps around with me. But during the summer that's a pain in the ass, I don't have a lot of spare pocket space.

When I was a kid I was cheap (and often broke) so I'd usually skip concessions altogether. Though if I were seeing more than one show I might get a crappy hot dog in between. Chain theatre food has improved a little since then at some locations. I can tolerate an overpriced burger and poutine more than overpriced popcorn.

Mrs. Nym is like my mom though, she can't see a movie without a bag of popcorn and a drink. Not unless we've just eaten a huge meal. It's part of the experience, and possibly the highlight. So I give in. That's probably one of the reasons we don't go as often... before we got married I'd go on cheap movie day and get in for $8. Now it's more like $24-$36 for two tickets, plus another $15-$20 for concessions. $30 if we're getting concession fast food instead of just snacks.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also be aware that the popcorn you are getting is likely not fresh. Unless you see them popping it, and they let you request the fresh stuff.

I worked at a theater through college. We would pop a week's worth (or more) popcorn. I think generally on Sundays. We'd bag it and take the bags upstairs. When we ran low, we'd grab a bag.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 am
Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:06 am I adore going to the movies, and in my youth I would often go and see two or three in a day on my own. Since marrying Mrs Nym we go less frequently, but as silly of a pastime as it is considering the expense, I still love it.
For me it's all about the popcorn. I think I may stop by a theater on my way home from work on Friday and buy a big tub to eat while watching Godzilla vs. Kong. :wub:
My local theater gives free popcorn, but since they don't even sell beer, I fail to see the point and never take them up on it.
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 pm Fresh popcorn is delicious, and the scent is inseparable from the moviegoing experience. But my problem with it has always been threefold:

- It's a rip-off. Yes, I know concessions are how theatres stay in business, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow forking over $5+ for a bag at the major chains.
- It's best when it's hot. If you opt for coliseum-size (i.e. small), you may still have popcorn left during the climax, but it won't be good popcorn.
- If you're a moderate mysophobe like me, buttered popcorn will foul up your hands till you have the chance to wash them. Napkins won't do the job. Wet naps, maybe... but I've never seen wet naps offered in a theatre. I can't stand having grubby hands throughout the film, it will distract me. Yeah, I know you don't watch a movie with your hands, but I'll feel it every time I move a finger. Yeah, I should probably start carrying a couple wet naps around with me. But during the summer that's a pain in the ass, I don't have a lot of spare pocket space.

When I was a kid I was cheap (and often broke) so I'd usually skip concessions altogether. Though if I were seeing more than one show I might get a crappy hot dog in between. Chain theatre food has improved a little since then at some locations. I can tolerate an overpriced burger and poutine more than overpriced popcorn.

Mrs. Nym is like my mom though, she can't see a movie without a bag of popcorn and a drink. Not unless we've just eaten a huge meal. It's part of the experience, and possibly the highlight. So I give in. That's probably one of the reasons we don't go as often... before we got married I'd go on cheap movie day and get in for $8. Now it's more like $24-$36 for two tickets, plus another $15-$20 for concessions. $30 if we're getting concession fast food instead of just snacks.
You forgot to add the husk fragments that slide in between your teeth and gums and stay wedged in there for a few days, no matter how much you brush, floss, or gargle mouthwash until they randomly decide they've tortured you enough and slide out peacefully on their own terms.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

One additional benefit that I've found with having a water pick. It seems to help a lot with the popcorn husks.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

me and my wife almost always got a small popcorn and an icee. We always snuck in candy. Sometimes we snuck in hamburgers like Krystals. I miss her.

heck when I was 16 i went with my step brother and his girlfriend who was 23. She had a giant bag of popcorn under her shirt and he refused to walk with her lol. So I walked in with a girl who appeared to be pregnant with a square headed baby.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Michelle has a special smugglin' purse.

If we used the concession when we went to movies, we'd never be able to go to the movies. Not that the popcorn isn't fantastic, but with four of us the popcorn costs twice what the tickets cost. Besides, if I have popcorn I drink a ton, which means I have to hit the bathroom a ton. And when I only get to see one or two movies in the theater per year, I don't want to be spending my two hours in the can.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

We'll smuggle in dollar store candy, especially because most of the candy at the theatre sucks around here. ($6 Twizzlers? No thanks.) But I draw the line at drinks lol. Actually, I think back in high school my friends would smuggle in cans of pop, but it was our trench coat/overcoat phase so there was room.

I miss the small town theatre in Mrs. Nym's hometown where they had giant pickles on a stick.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 pm
I miss the small town theatre in Mrs. Nym's hometown where they had giant pickles on a stick.

Now that's something you don't want to hear out of context! :shock: :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I saw it this evening at the theater. We both enjoyed it. It's not going to dethrone John Wick, but it's a fun little romp.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I streamed this on Crave today. It was as good as I'd hoped, and Christopher Lloyd was a surprise treat.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The first half hour had me expecting a film with something clever to say about violence, or eventually just a more grounded John Wick film. But no, this is simply a very well shot action film that quicky becomes outrageous and absurd. It's still fairly stylized, but benefits from not having John Wick's overbearing mythology. The bad guy is unoriginal but immensely enjoyable. I enjoyed the first half better than the second.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was my take on it too. I think the film rests almost entirely on the novelty of watching a guy who would be the CPA for the cartel in other films as the action hero. But it’s still a lot of fun and very well made.
Covfefe!