Bethesda's Starfield

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Bethesda's Starfield

Post by Smoove_B »

(I know it's way late for you - but for anyone else, going forward...)

I've found a way to clear this bug in the game every time it's shown up for me (4 times now).

I go to the Lodge, and quit/save the game - restart/reload, and the condition warnings (orange circle/black water drop, etc) that were stuck are all cleared up.
I'm not sure it's specific to the Lodge, as once I discovered that fix I didn't try anywhere else.
:D

I'll keep that in mind if it happens again when I return to Starfield. It's definitely going to happen, but maybe not until the holidays.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Unlimited storage the basement of the lodge

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/s/6OK40KR6Vc

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is my current Razorleaf refit. The last go-around I went big and built an exploration/research ship with a huge amount of cargo space. This time, I went with a smaller more specialized combat-oriented configuration with a Class B equipment suite to keep mass and cost down.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Companions...

So, I just want to say that Berrett (I've not kept him as a companion for very long) totally creeped me out at the very start of the game.
It's now been a really long time since that 'incident', but I still give Berrett a wide berth when I visit the Lodge these days.

I was a young woman, we had only met briefly at the start of the game when he gave me his ship. But when I went back to the mining operation to pick him back up - he was all over me.
Suddenly, from out of nowhere, this middle-aged man was totally flirting with me by way of telling me how much being with me reminded him of being with his now-deceased husband.

<<record needle scratch>>

We've spent exactly zero time together, and I remind you of your dead gay husband, and I've got all these options to [Flirt] with you.

Sarah came on a bit strong as well, tbh.

I had always thought that if I took a companion it would be the Stealth Girl (also more my type, as she also coincidentally looks like the toon I made for myself and I had not yet laid eyes on Andreja)...

And, man - I must say, especially compared to the way those other two companions tried to play me, this relationship I'm building with Andreja actually feels remotely real. It's slow growing. Slowly learning about each other. She comments on things I said to her ages ago that she's been dwelling on that she now sees I was right, etc. It's almost well done.

But, damn - Berrett. WTF dude. Horrible, horrible approach to a relationship, IMO.

I'd actually like to put that behind me and spend a little more time with Berrett, to unlock his story, etc - but I'm a little gun-shy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

a gorgeous morning...

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Night sets with the dark side of a distant gas giant...

Enlarge Image
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:25 am This is my current Razorleaf refit. The last go-around I went big and built an exploration/research ship with a huge amount of cargo space. This time, I went with a smaller more specialized combat-oriented configuration with a Class B equipment suite to keep mass and cost down.

Enlarge Image
Very cool, but I’m wondering, why refit the Razorleaf and not just build a new ship from scratch? Just personal preference, or is there something about the Razorleaf that makes it valuable in and of itself?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:26 pm
Max Peck wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:25 am This is my current Razorleaf refit. The last go-around I went big and built an exploration/research ship with a huge amount of cargo space. This time, I went with a smaller more specialized combat-oriented configuration with a Class B equipment suite to keep mass and cost down.

Enlarge Image
Very cool, but I’m wondering, why refit the Razorleaf and not just build a new ship from scratch? Just personal preference, or is there something about the Razorleaf that makes it valuable in and of itself?
You can't, so far as I know, actually build a ship from scratch. You have to start with an existing ship and rebuild it. The thing with the Razorleaf is that no matter how much you change it, the game still treats it as the Razorleaf, and I never get tired of having Spacers scan the ship then shit their pants when they realize I'm the Mantis, and then scramble to jump out of the system because they know I'm just going to flat out murder them if they stick around. Many a Spacer's last words have been "Please, oh please, don't kill me!" Crimson Fleet pilots also recognize the Razorleaf, although they're keen to earn the bragging rights for taking the Mantis down and they don't try to run.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Enlarge Image
Great job, looks cool, love the black.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Another one for the jank file: Everyone else in Constellation thinks that Andreja is dead. She's my main companion for this playthrough, so hopefully this little glitch doesn't block her story progression.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:56 am Andreja is dead. She's my main companion for this playthrough
Aurora, it's a hell of a drug.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, I got him back to his ship...

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Ugh...hit my first really annoying bug today. While flying around in my newly-acquired Razorleaf, I decided to take advantage of all the weapon racks on the ship and unloaded a bunch of my rare/epic weapons. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the weapon storage is bugged and makes all your guns disappear when you leave the ship and return later. By the time I realized everything was gone, I had already spent a few hours doing missions...enough work that I didn't feel like reloading far enough back to undo what was lost. I would rather find new weapons to replace the ones that were eaten by the game than replay the same areas and story points again. Oh well

Moral of the story...don't use weapon storage on the Razorleaf or risk having all your guns disappear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

..You okay, Sam?

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I built this from scratch, starting with a Deimos DS40.2 Ares cockpit and finishing when I ran out of cash.

Enlarge Image

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Looks pretty slick.

I came here to post, as I keep forgetting to, about the game's use of the plastic-strap curtains that block out dust, etc. It's nicely done.

That's all. :ninja:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Enlarge Image

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A leaf on the wind...

Enlarge Image

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh....well, I'm about 30 hours into the game and the Groundpounder mission is STILL borked for me. So I guess I have to abandon the longest mission I've had so far. That or start over....which I just don't have the will to do.

So far the game is...well...meh for me. I don't find myself looking forward to playing it. I kind of feel like I should play it instead.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If the problem with the Groundpounder mission is that the troops aren't spawning/disembarking when the ships land, there might be a way to fix it. It seems to be a specific instance of a bug that breaks several things that involve NPC ships that don't spawn their crews properly, so ships that land never open their cargo bays, ships that are boarded in space are empty and Starborn ships that land can be boarded (presumably because the entrance isn't "locked" until after the crew disembarks).

Nexusmods: Empty Enemy Ships on Boarding Bug Fix
There is a bug in Starfield as of this writing where after disabling a ship's engines and trying to dock, the player finds that enemy ships are empty of hostiles and the Captain's Locker would have no loot. This happens to all hostile ships. This is an attempted fix that seems to work for many but not all users.

Download my txt file (unzip archive) and put it in your game root folder (Starfield folder, where there's the game exe). Then in game console type "bat Bugfix" and press enter. Do so BEFORE you dock with a ship (not just before entering, but before docking). This bug might reoccur because the root cause isn't fixed as this just resets the relevant quests to make things work again so you probably would need to run this txt file every so often. I *think* this bug is caused by Starborn ships landing, and they don't have to fully land for bug to occur neither do you even have to be near it.

This bug seems to have very good correlation with 1-2 other issues: Ships landing on planets but the cargo bay never opening, and being able to enter non-player Starborn ships. I can't confirm the Starborn problem is fixed but in my experience the cargo bay doors do open now for non-Starborn landed ships when they should. I've been told that cargo bay doors never opening can actually break (some) quests, though I've never done those quests myself. AFAIK some ships actually don't open cargo bay doors when landing, but some do and this is normal behavior. So it's possible the bug gets fixed but your first encounter with a ship has no cargo bay doors opening.

I hope this fixes this terrible game breaking bug for you. I haven't encountered any bugs from this workaround yet but you can always make a new save just in case.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nah, it's that when I go to Altair V, there's no pirates to fight. I defeated the pirates at Altair I (which is right before that part of the mission), but then I ran away from the fight at Altair V when I realized my ship needed some more upgrades to survive. When I came back, the pirates were gone and they've never returned. It seems to be a problem for a lot of people, so I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet.

Some folks are saying that HOURS later they'll be in a completely different system when suddenly they show up there and you can complete the mission though. :lol:
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:21 pm Sigh....well, I'm about 30 hours into the game and the Groundpounder mission is STILL borked for me. So I guess I have to abandon the longest mission I've had so far. That or start over....which I just don't have the will to do.

So far the game is...well...meh for me. I don't find myself looking forward to playing it. I kind of feel like I should play it instead.
I had that same issue and needed to fix it with a console command. Not sure if you would like for me to share that solution or not? (I assume you have a ship landing that will not open up and release the wave of enemies that come as backup)

It would make your game unable to earn achievements any more, but then there is a mod that turns that punishment off, so you can go on with the game and also earn achievements.
\

Oops, I had not caught up. Sounds like it's not the same problem you have.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:21 pm Sigh....well, I'm about 30 hours into the game and the Groundpounder mission is STILL borked for me.
Did you remember to make out with Garibaldi before leaving?

The usual Bethesda fix for a broken mission is a console command that tells the game that you've finished that objective so that it lets you move on to the next one. I never played that mission, but based on this and your description, I'd guess that the console command is:

setstage 001f3a36 850

That means:

Set the quest stage (setstage)
of quest 001f3a36 (Groundpounders)
850 (fighter encounter 2 cleared)

It's basically the same command that the game would send itself once you kill the last pirate.

Make a nice hard save before you try, and using the console will disable achievements unless you have the mod that fixes that.
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:21 pm So far the game is...well...meh for me. I don't find myself looking forward to playing it. I kind of feel like I should play it instead.
I figure it will be one of my favorite games of 2024. Or maybe 2025, if they delay the mod tools. There were just too many problems that they need to get sorted out to play right now, and half of the problems won't be fixed until they release the tools that lets the community fix them for them.

It doesn't help that they seem to be slow-walking the updates. It's been almost two months and they have yet to put out any substantial fixes - just things like a rare hand scanner stuttering bug, adding an FOV slider, and removing an exploit that people discovered because they put the merchants' chests too close to the surface (instead of just keeping track via text, vendors have an actual box with their inventory in it, usually hidden underground - they put them too close to the surface, and people found spots where they could access them and empty them out - the 'puddle bug.'

Oh, and they fixed the weapons disappearing from weapon racks bug. Except that they didn't.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only real bug I’ve encountered is the Groundpounder mission. I’m not finding the game meh due to technical issues, I’m finding it meh because I’m seeing the same game as their last 2 or 3 so far with very little that’s truly new. It just feels like Skyrim in space, when I really wanted something more.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 pm The only real bug I’ve encountered is the Groundpounder mission. I’m not finding the game meh due to technical issues, I’m finding it meh because I’m seeing the same game as their last 2 or 3 so far with very little that’s truly new. It just feels like Skyrim in space, when I really wanted something more.
It's funny how many times I've heard that complaint when so many people (I'm not naming you here) said prior to release that if they'd be happy if only they could have Skyrim in space.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve already played Skyrim. I wanted something new. I don’t hate it, don’t get me wrong. I just need to temper my expectations.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I don't hate any of them (and I don't hate Bethesda - I just have much respect or trust for them.) Skyrim has become a great game (mostly due to the community), and Fallout is a comfy old blanket I love to wrap myself in. No Man's Skyrim, er, Starfield will doubtlessly be just as amazing once enough time has passed.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:51 am A leaf on the wind...

Enlarge Image
I call it Vera.

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's inevitable that someone is going to make a Firefly full-conversion mod at some point.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:25 am It's inevitable that someone is going to make a Firefly full-conversion mod at some point.
You can't take the sky from me.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
naednek

Post by naednek »

I haven't played in over two weeks. The constant level loading is really annoying me. And almost every quest is fedex
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Andreja and I eloped a while back... No big ceremony, etc, etc.

One of the dialog options for me with Andreja now is, "How are you feeling about our marriage?" I assume the game ends and it deletes all my saves if I ask that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You get an A/B choice of being happy about it or telling her it's over, if Sara is an exemplar.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Brave man. :)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:54 am The constant level loading is really annoying me.
I honestly think this is where a really strong PC supports this game the most. For me, they are not too bad, they generally last about 1.5 seconds or so. The entire game design wouldn't work before SSD, IMO.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Unagi wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:04 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:54 am The constant level loading is really annoying me.
I honestly think this is where a really strong PC supports this game the most. For me, they are not too bad, they generally last about 1.5 seconds or so. The entire game design wouldn't work before SSD, IMO.
It's not the length of loading that is the issue (it's fast for me) it's the frequency
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:35 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:04 pm
It's not the length of loading that is the issue (it's fast for me) it's the frequency
Ah. Yeah. It’s totally loaded with them.
I can see how it can be annoying.