The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by stessier »

It was noted the last time she got it was right before Biden's other trip overseas. I think she just doesn't like international travel. :P
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I mean, I got a negative result on my PCR test for my trip to Canada. It's not that hard!
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like you studied
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:09 pm Sounds like you studied
I understood the assignment.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unreal

Well done Democrats, you've completely blown up majority support for NPIs, good thing COVID is probably done and there will be no future waves
New Monmouth poll: Do you support/oppose instituting, or reinstituting, face mask and social distancing guidelines in your state at this time?

Support 34%
Oppose 62%

January:
Support 52%
Oppose 45%
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is a dumb poll question IMO. Should we reinstitute mask mandates and social distancing *at this time*. Of course the answer is no.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:55 pm This is a dumb poll question IMO. Should we reinstitute mask mandates and social distancing *at this time*. Of course the answer is no.
Of course not, silly! There's still plenty of room in hospitals. Also, your county is #2 on the list right now - spread, cases and hospitalizations. Stay vigilant.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:37 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:55 pm This is a dumb poll question IMO. Should we reinstitute mask mandates and social distancing *at this time*. Of course the answer is no.
Of course not, silly! There's still plenty of room in hospitals. Also, your county is #2 on the list right now - spread, cases and hospitalizations. Stay vigilant.
Right. I more meant people have been told over and over that the crisis is over. Asking them if they should do more now is dumb. I don't think it necessarily accurately reflects what people think if conditions were different. The argument that "Dems" ruined NPIs is sort of a exaggerated take in that light IMO.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:15 pm
Right. I more meant people have been told over and over that the crisis is over. Asking them if they should do more now is dumb. I don't think it necessarily accurately reflects what people think if conditions were different. The argument that "Dems" ruined NPIs is sort of a exaggerated take in that light IMO.
Exactly.

And if you can't misconstrue a poll for Twitter RTa, what good is it?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:15 pm
Also I mean, things are obviously better case-wise now than in January, when new cases were a vertical line up in connection with Omicron. Support for NPIs obviously goes up and down with perceptions of how bad cases are. I think it's reasonably clear that Democratic governors lifting restrictions and generally saying that things are better is part of the drop in support for NPIs, but so is the trend line, and how much of each is contributing is hard to say.

Not that Democratic governors aren't behaving irresponsibly, it's just not clear cut to blame them for the change in poll #s on this.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So the FDA has authorized second boosters for 50+ year olds. I assume it's a no-brainer to get another booster for eligible people, and that I should be ensuring that the 50+ year olds in my family do so?
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

El Guapo wrote:Not that Democratic governors aren't behaving irresponsibly, it's just not clear cut to blame them for the change in poll #s on this.
Even my hospital is lowering visitor restrictions. When your healthcare facilities are telling you things are good enough to relax restrictions, it's unreasonable for the average person to think we still need the precautions we had 6 months ago.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:34 amWhen your healthcare facilities are telling you things are good enough to relax restrictions, it's unreasonable for the average person to think we still need the precautions we had 6 months ago.
Agreed. The pharmacists at our grocery store were maskless during the height of omicron. It makes it hard to argue for masks when the people handing out the vaccine shots aren't even masked.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Newfoundland may be our canary in the COVID mine.

As COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths spike, N.L. health minister says health-care system will be 'managed'
Two weeks after all public health restrictions lifted in Newfoundland and Labrador, Health Minister John Haggie says the province is still forging ahead with its return to normal despite rising hospitalizations and deaths due to COVID-19.

In an interview with CBC News, Haggie said the rising hospitalizations and deaths are not unexpected, and said he believes they may have peaked.

"At the end of the day, you know, it's life with COVID," Haggie said, "The opening up and the relaxation of measures has happened across the rest of the country and we're just following them about two or three weeks later."

Newfoundland and Labrador recorded a record-breaking 40 hospitalizations on Monday, and people are dying because of COVID-19 almost every day. The province has scaled back COVID-19 PCR testing so true case numbers are unknown, but are believed to be in the thousands.

About two weeks ago, officials said the province's health care system could handle about 40 to 60 COVID-19 hospitalizations. On Tuesday, Haggie said the province is coping with the new hospitalizations by scaling back planned procedures and diverting staff from day surgeries and elective procedures into inpatient care areas.
Looking at the scant data available, the case count does look like it may have peaked but who really knows given the curtailed testing. The hospitalization/ICU numbers have definitely not peaked, but that may just be systemic lag and they'll level off in a couple of weeks as well.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:14 am So the FDA has authorized second boosters for 50+ year olds. I assume it's a no-brainer to get another booster for eligible people, and that I should be ensuring that the 50+ year olds in my family do so?
Opinions vary.

I did see a paper that was published yesterday suggesting increased benefit for "mixing" the mRNA boosters. Meaning that if you have been getting only Pfizer or Moderna up until now, there might be a clinic benefit to opt for the other one during your next vaccination. I haven't seen anything official (policy-wise) suggesting this should happen, but I think the paper was just published this week.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

NBC
Many who participated in what prosecutors are calling the largest fraud in U.S. history — the theft of hundreds of billions of dollars in taxpayer money intended to help those harmed by the coronavirus pandemic — couldn’t resist purchasing luxury automobiles. Also mansions, private jet flights and swanky vacations.

They came into their riches by participating in what experts say is the theft of as much as $80 billion — or about 10 percent — of the $800 billion handed out in a Covid relief plan known as the Paycheck Protection Program, or PPP. That’s on top of the $90 billion to $400 billion believed to have been stolen from the $900 billion Covid unemployment relief program — at least half taken by international fraudsters — as NBC News reported last year. And another $80 billion potentially pilfered from a separate Covid disaster relief program.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:07 pm
In a statement to CBC News Wednesday, the Ministry of Health said the province's Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Kieran Moore, will continue to monitor the data and evidence on an "ongoing basis.

"As Dr. Moore has previously said, indicators are expected to rise as Ontarians increasingly interact with one another. However, thanks to our high vaccination rates and natural immunity, as well as the arrival of antivirals, Ontario has the tools necessary to manage the impact of the virus," the statement reads.
Too bad that the provincial government is making it so difficult to qualify for antivirals that many people either can't get them or can't get them in time to make a difference. But we are staying the course! Onward and upward!

'They are making it impossible' for people to get antivirals: Ottawa doctor
Amy Ferguson finally held the elusive COVID antiviral Paxlovid in her hands Friday, after days of anxious efforts to get it.

The Ottawa radio host, who is COVID positive and immune compromised, got the antiviral COVID-19 treatment at the 11th hour after jumping through numerous hoops during the week. It is only effective if taken within five days of symptom onset, which, for Ferguson, was Friday. She took her first dose just after noon.

But barriers continue to prevent most people, including the elderly and those who are highly vulnerable, from getting the drug that reduces the severity of COVID-19 at a time when cases are surging.

One 77-year-old Ottawa woman, who asked that her name not be made public, begged her doctor’s office for a Paxlovid referral this week after testing positive for COVID-19. She was told she “was not immune compromised enough” to qualify.

She lives alone, is recovering from a stroke and has high blood pressure. Her family says they are worried about her.

Ottawa family physician Dr. Nili Kaplan-Myrth says both the system for getting the antiviral treatment to patients and the criteria around who is eligible are blocking access to it for most people, including those likely to become severely ill with COVID-19.

Among other things, doctors have to attest that a patient is likely to live more than a year before they can refer them to be assessed for Paxlovid. That would rule out many end-stage cancer patients, among the most vulnerable and most likely to suffer severe outcomes from COVID-19.

“We have to tell our patients, ‘You have cancer, you are probably not going to live more than a year, so we are going to let you die from COVID,’” Kaplan-Myrth said.
The kicker is that if you are vaccinated, you aren't eligible to be treated with antivirals, but if you are a steadfast antivaxer, you are eligible.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So very modern American:

SCOOP: Lawmakers have agreed on deal for $10 billion in US covid funds, set to be announced today — but have *dropped* funding for global response, people familiar tell me and @rachel_roubein
Thankfully the virus has recently agreed it will not impact areas that are funded, so we're good.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some grad student managed to get a paper published in BioEthics that argue AGAINST healthy children getting the COVID vaccine. EVERY ONE of the guy's arguments was recycled antivax tropes, and cherry-picked 2020 data to make his case (i.e. COVID isn't that deadly to kids) ignoring available Delta and Omicron data.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m guessing BioEthics isn’t big on science and is more a self anointed expert on ethics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you're wondering, no, they didn't ask me if this was a good idea. But at least they're fully committed to practicing the message of "It's fine - nothing to worry about" for themselves too.
So far at least 14 attendees of Saturday’s Gridiron Club dinner have tested positive for Covid.

In a note sent to Gridiron members, club president Thomas DeFrank wrote, “As of 4 p.m. Wednesday, we know of 14 guests at Saturday’s dinner who have tested positive for Covid. There is no way of being certain about when they first contracted Covid. But they did interact with other guests during the night and we have to be realistic and expect some more cases. Except in cases of public officials who have on their own disclosed their status, we will protect the privacy of guests who test positive.”

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland and Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said Wednesday that they have tested positive, as has Jamal Simmons, communications director to Vice President Kamala Harris. Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX) also said that they have tested positive.

UPDATED: Jamal Simmons, communications director to Vice President Kamala Harris, has tested positive for Covid.
I hope y'all are preparing for the next surge because we're truly rudderless.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hell, most people won't even be able to tell when the surge is peaking. Only the sick who go to the hospital and find it's full.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nothing to see here. As much as I want to rage against my fellow Americans, when our leaders are modeling the bad behaviors they're encouraging, I realize there truly is zero hope of this ending in any way - except when the virus is done with us.

Standing next to @POTUS ... no masks ... indoors. Tests positive today.
Nancy Pelosi
This afternoon, I was proud to stand with @POTUS and Members of Congress for the signing of the Postal Service Reform Act of 2022.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Once the decision was made to move on in order to solidify midterm messaging, this was inevitable.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Has Biden had it yet? I don't think so?
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Is that Thomas? Why would he be at the signing?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think that's James Clyburn, House Majority Whip... but I could be wrong.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:58 pm I think that's James Clyburn, House Majority Whip... but I could be wrong.
It's Clyburn. 100% sure.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That makes much more sense.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For awhile today I thought I was the only grocery shopper wearing a mask. Eventually I spotted a few more, but it can't have been more than one per 20 or 25 people.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Gotta say, Philadelphia is impressing me

Philly’s indoor mask mandate likely to return next week, as city COVID-19 cases creep upward

Slow increases become fast increases if action is not taken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

37 people have now contracted COVID following the Gridiron dinner. This illustrates how massively transmissible BA.2 is, and how much of a mistake it was to summarily drop all mitigation while we’re still in the pandemic phase of this virus. It is not safe now to gather in large numbers in confined spaces without masks, and it’s irresponsible to require people to figure this out on their own. The WH should reinstate masking for everyone working in that complex, both as an example for the public, & to protect the President and VP who will surely contract this virus if they continue to portray an all-is-well, urgency of normal, your on your own, maskless facade.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

it’s irresponsible to require people to figure this out on their own
That's not really an accurate statement. Officials have gone out of their way to make it impossible to figure it out anymore. There is no longer any available data for many - if not most - people. They're supposed to make decisions based on what, word of mouth? Call the hospital and for a census every day (because that information isn't public anymore)? Set up their own wastewater survey, because that info isn't available, either?

They have put blinders on us, 'solving' our concerns by making sure that we can't see the dangers. And again, we're totally helpless to do anything about it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not just that, but you have mouthpieces like Dr. Leana Wen that is gaslighting people in the WaPo over how normal this is and how we should all just accept what happened as something that we'll need to deal with as well. Never mind that these politicians have access to tests and medications that most Americans never will - they're gathering indoors without masks (and getting COVID-19) - you should do it to.

I am absolutely *astounded* that she has a megaphone and gets to wear the mantle of public health in national media while spouting absolute nonsense.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:24 am
That's not really an accurate statement. Officials have gone out of their way to make it impossible to figure it out anymore. There is no longer any available data for many - if not most - people. They're supposed to make decisions based on what, word of mouth? Call the hospital and for a census every day (because that information isn't public anymore)? Set up their own wastewater survey, because that info isn't available, either?

They have put blinders on us, 'solving' our concerns by making sure that we can't see the dangers. And again, we're totally helpless to do anything about it.
The data is available on the CDC maps (although I guess the data may not be recent if the states only send the info once or twice a week), and with regards to the wastewater data, the information doesn't seem to give much context (so mostly what you can tell is if the wastewater values are rising, staying the same or shrinking)

It would really have been helpful for this data to be available in an easy to digest form - something like a color coded system (like we had for the terror threat system) or in the same way we get weather forecasts - so that instead of "There's an 80% chance of rain, you should take your umbrella", we should have a "There are very high levels of community transmission, you should make sure to wear an n95 indoors today".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:24 am

Isn't that in line with the statement? We can't be asking people to figure this out in their own.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A new bill passed through the Tennessee House that would allow pharmacists to prescribe Ivermectin

TennesseeAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHfuckingmorons.

What TN really needs is a drug to prevent TN GOP from reproducing and continuing to infects the state gov.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this goes here? I don't know anymore. I've given up.

Anti-Covid-19 vaccine conspiracy theorist Christopher Key injects himself with “aged urine.”
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Good lord, that tweet is pure clickbait. This man is simply self-administering locally produced and ethically sourced organic stem cells. The urine is simply the entirely natural medium used to transport the stem cells into his body, whence they will work their mysterious magic. Completely normal stuff that anyone might find themselves doing on any typical morning. :coffee: