The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by malchior »

If you haven't been following the debt ceiling/budget discussions in Congress, the GOP has been threatening to shut down the government unless Biden reverses the vaccine mandate.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:22 pm That's not surprising at all, but I hadn't seen it. Horrific.

In my own state, things are heating up:
Top Republicans in both the state Senate and Assembly went to court Wednesday seeking to block a new policy that requires all people — including lawmakers — to show either proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative coronavirus test to enter the New Jersey Statehouse in Trenton.

The legislators filed a lawsuit in State Superior Court against the State Capitol Joint Management Commission, the little-known state commission that approved the policy in October as New Jersey continues to deal with the pandemic that has killed more than 28,300 residents.

Assemblyman Erik Peterson, R-Hunterdon, said he has “no legal obligation” to follow the policy.

“I don’t think the policy applies to me,” Peterson said. “The Constitution doesn’t give anyone the right to give conditions as to being able to vote in the chambers as an equal measure. Nobody can legally prevent me from going in and voting in the chambers. I think people need to get back to a good civics class and learn how the Constitution works.”
Unreal.
I can only assume he routinely attends sessions carrying a firearm and not wearing pants while smoking a cigar and playing loud music on his boombox. Because Constitution.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

a party whose main organizing principle on Covid is opposing just about any social action to slow the pandemic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

With every passing day, I understand more and more Daenerys uttering "Dracarys" at the end of S8.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:26 pm I can only assume he routinely attends sessions carrying a firearm and not wearing pants while smoking a cigar and playing loud music on his boombox. Because Constitution.
:lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

malchior wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:24 pm If you haven't been following the debt ceiling/budget discussions in Congress, the GOP has been threatening to shut down the government unless Biden reverses the vaccine mandate.
Im so far past simply hating them. I wish each one would jump to their deaths from the highest cliff. Id stand there clapping for them and slip a dollar in their pocket so they feel like they're back home in DC. Every POS GOP in any political position or running for one should help cleanse the Earth by suicide.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Never in my wildest imagination would I ever believe a political party would actively oppose measures to stop an easily transmissible disease that has killed almost 800,000 people in less than 2 years. It's beyond mind-boggling.

It's even more infuriating in that we *have the means to control it*. It's right there, it's free. It would take a modicum of coordinated effort to stamp this thing out to controllable levels. And half of the US government says, "Nope."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Someone should tell them food is good for you and tell them all to eat. Maybe they'll stop. Or perhaps oxygen and air is good.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:24 pm If you haven't been following the debt ceiling/budget discussions in Congress, the GOP has been threatening to shut down the government unless Biden reverses the vaccine mandate.
But like, they would face a steep political cost if they do this, right?

Right???
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 pm But like, they would face a steep political cost if they do this, right?

Right???
Leopards won't eat my face claim masses of medicare and SS recipients who are screaming, let the government shut down if they can't pay for it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:
But like, they would face a steep political cost if they do this, right?

Right???
The steepest. They will be rewarded with control of Congress next November.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They said they were gonna:
In a surreal scene, a number of Republican state lawmakers repeatedly declined to follow a new COVID-19 vaccine policy at the New Jersey Statehouse on Thursday in a 15-minute standoff with State Police troopers who tried to stop from entering the state Assembly chambers.

After learning the troopers wouldn’t physically block them, the legislators simply ignored the protocol and walked in the chambers.
Party of law and order.
After a few minutes, another Republican, Assemblyman Brian Bergen, R-Morris, told the lawmakers that the troopers said they would not “physically restrain us.”

“We can just walk past them,” Bergen said.
Just like the 1/6 "tourists"!
Many Republicans did comply with the police, if not happily.

“I know you’re just doing your jobs. But this is horseshit,” state Sen. Holly Schepisi said as she showed troopers her vaccine card while walking into the Senate chambers.
A GOP member that's vaccinated and complying? I hope she enjoys her time left as a elected official.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a fucking daycare only worse.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

What's the point of having a policy if it's not enforced?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:50 pm Its a fucking daycare only worse.
It's way worse. We are fighting a cold civil war everywhere now. It's a simple goddamn rule with accommodations but they are foaming at the mouth about liberty? People are fucking dying. It also doesn't escape me that they are cowards on top. They are all mostly vaccinated if not secretly.

I'm at my wit's end over this stuff. I had a 'parking lot' rage incident yesterday at a local Quick Check because some idiot thinks my Tesla threatens his way of life or something. I don't have a clue to be honest what the real beef was. Naturally this guy jumped into a pickup with a Let's Go Brandon, Trump is President, and WW1WGA stickers on their car -- after I was forced to fucking beat my chest at him. I wasn't going to mention it but this story set me off. That guy is DIRECTLY BEING ENCOURAGED by people like these assholes and it is going to lead to violence. It nearly did yesterday. I'm so tired of this stuff.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

WW1WGA?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:47 amWW1WGA?
Where we go one, we go all. He is identifying himself as a member of Q-Anon.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:52 am
Yeah, the not-so-secret handshake of the Q faithful.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:50 pm Its a fucking daycare only worse.
It's way worse. We are fighting a cold civil war everywhere now. It's a simple goddamn rule with accommodations but they are foaming at the mouth about liberty? People are fucking dying. It also doesn't escape me that they are cowards on top. They are all mostly vaccinated if not secretly.

I'm at my wit's end over this stuff. I had a 'parking lot' rage incident yesterday at a local Quick Check because some idiot thinks my Tesla threatens his way of life or something. I don't have a clue to be honest what the real beef was. Naturally this guy jumped into a pickup with a Let's Go Brandon, Trump is President, and WW1WGA stickers on their car -- after I was forced to fucking beat my chest at him. I wasn't going to mention it but this story set me off. That guy is DIRECTLY BEING ENCOURAGED by people like these assholes and it is going to lead to violence. It nearly did yesterday. I'm so tired of this stuff.
This simmering anger is everywhere. I'm also noticing a lot more unabashed disobedience. People parking in no-parking or firelanes, double parking and blocking streets, running all manner of stop signs and red lights, smoking/vaping wherever they want.

These things have always been happening but now it's almost a badge of honor or something. "No one tells me what to do and I'll prove it!" No consequences, no shame.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:52 am
Ah, gotcha - thanks. Sounds like a true gentleman and a scholar.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As federal government contractors, we're all required to be vaccinated.

Just found out someone in an equivalent position to mine on our team is refusing to get vaccinated. She has also apparently told HR that she will not attend any company function where she is required to wear a mask or show proof of a negative COVID test. Will be interesting to see how the company deals with it. I expect that she'll get shown the door before the new year.

It's amazing to me that someone who is the sole breadwinner for her family making a very comfortable 6-figure income is perfectly willing to simply toss it all out the window and die on this hill. In the 5 years we've worked together, I've known her to be a kind, intelligent (I thought), thoughtful person. I knew she leaned heavily conservative and was extremely religious, but had no idea she was a full-blown antivaxxer. Disappointing, to be sure.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 am they are foaming at the mouth about liberty? People are fucking dying.
As Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty and give me death." Or as NH sees it, "Live free and die."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 am Will be interesting to see how the company deals with it. I expect that she'll get shown the door before the new year.
I'm guessing she's part of some group telling her to stand back and stand by.
Two major Utah healthcare providers have paused all requirements that employees be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Wednesday's announcement comes a day after a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction that stopped President Biden's national vaccine mandate for all health care workers.

Intermountain Healthcare and MountainStar/HCA have temporarily stopped the requirement pending the outcome of the federal lawsuit and a clearer direction.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Manchin checks in with his feelings on vaccination:

MANCHIN, in stmt: "I do not support any government vaccine mandate on private businesses. That’s why I have cosponsored and will strongly support a bill to overturn the federal government vaccine mandate for private businesses."
In case anyone was wondering.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

What a dipshit. Just switch parties already. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 am Will be interesting to see how the company deals with it. I expect that she'll get shown the door before the new year.
I'm guessing she's part of some group telling her to stand back and stand by.
Two major Utah healthcare providers have paused all requirements that employees be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Wednesday's announcement comes a day after a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction that stopped President Biden's national vaccine mandate for all health care workers.

Intermountain Healthcare and MountainStar/HCA have temporarily stopped the requirement pending the outcome of the federal lawsuit and a clearer direction.
I saw that yesterday. Infuriating.

Seems like this would be a different situation, as we are direct federal government contractors. AFAIK, the requirement for contractors to be vaccinated will still remain in place, for now anyways. I could be misunderstanding though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:19 pm Seems like this would be a different situation, as we are direct federal government contractors. AFAIK, the requirement for contractors to be vaccinated will still remain in place, for now anyways. I could be misunderstanding though.
There are states pushing back on federal contractor requirements, yes:
Kentucky’s attorney general won a preliminary court order Tuesday to block President Joe Biden’s coronavirus vaccination mandate for federal government contractors and subcontractors.

The preliminary injunction issued by U.S. District Judge Gregory F. Van Tatenhove stops the mandate from taking effect in Kentucky, Tennessee and Ohio.

“This is a significant ruling because it gives immediate relief from the federal government’s vaccine requirement to Kentuckians who either contract with the federal government or work for a federal contractor,” Kentucky’s Republican attorney general, Daniel Cameron, said in a statement.
So yes, different requirements but all under attack.

Post by Default »

Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:11 pm What a dipshit. Just switch parties already. :P
If he becomes a republican, he's a small fish in a big cesspool. As a Dem, he has far more leverage to get the grease he wants.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 am

It's amazing to me that someone who is the sole breadwinner for her family making a very comfortable 6-figure income is perfectly willing to simply toss it all out the window and die on this hill.
Especially when it could be literal.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:57 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 am

It's amazing to me that someone who is the sole breadwinner for her family making a very comfortable 6-figure income is perfectly willing to simply toss it all out the window and die on this hill.
Especially when it could be literal.
Minus the hill.

Unless you mean the pile of bodies.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Default wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:08 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:11 pm What a dipshit. Just switch parties already. :P
If he becomes a republican, he's a small fish in a big cesspool. As a Dem, he has far more leverage to get the grease he wants.
If he becomes a republican, Moscow Mitch becomes majority leader.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And the Dems lose committee control.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:20 pm
Default wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:08 pm
If he becomes a republican, Moscow Mitch becomes majority leader.
Indeed. As frustrating as Manchin is as a democrat, it would be infinitely worse with him as a Republican.
Black Lives Matter.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:38 amIn the 5 years we've worked together, I've known her to be a kind, intelligent (I thought), thoughtful person.
For what it’s worth, you’re probably not a terrible judge of character. She probably has all of those qualities in spades.

Because this….thing….that’s going around? Being smart and kind and thoughtful appears to offer absolutely no defense against it. I watched one of the smartest guys I know - a hugely successful lawyer who has argued in front of the Nine - descend into full blown QAnon nuttery. I’ve seen my liberal, science-trusting, scrupulously honest friends blatantly lie about their health conditions so they could jump the line for vaccines by a few days. I’ve seen families rip themselves apart over social media slights, siblings stop talking over a tweet. Everything is viewed in the worst possible light, every disagreement a call to arms.

It's madness.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:02 am
This simmering anger is everywhere.
I certainly have more than my share of it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My dad knows a guy who's a theoretical physicist, and easily the most intelligent guy he knows. This guy also believes in Bigfoot, and will lecture you on how they avoid photography through radiation they emit from their bodies.

There's no real rhyme or reason to human behavior.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

An Italian decided to wear a fake arm to be injected. In the US they probably just laugh. Italian authorities will charge him with fraud, supposedly.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:30 am An Italian decided to wear a fake arm to be injected. In the US they probably just laugh. Italian authorities will charge him with fraud, supposedly.
I like how he thought that would work.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just like in the cartoons or a movie. She should have no sir your other arm. lol.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:02 amI'm also noticing a lot more unabashed disobedience. People parking in no-parking or firelanes, double parking and blocking streets, running all manner of stop signs and red lights, smoking/vaping wherever they want.

These things have always been happening but now it's almost a badge of honor or something. "No one tells me what to do and I'll prove it!" No consequences, no shame.
We had 4 years of an entire administration literally saying and showing people it was ok to not follow the rules if you don’t like them. I would only be surprised if fans of that administration DIDN’T start showing similar behavior at the street level.

Freedom to the max, baby!!!

Trump had many flaws and caused a lot of ideological harm to our government institutions, but maybe his most damaging contribution was tapping the inner prick of so many people. Literally showing them that being egotistical and selfish was not just fine, but should be celebrated, not hidden anymore. He was like a mass audience pop psychologist, convincing people they were assholes deep down, and THAT’S OK! High time they let those beautiful, raw personalities shine!

We’re already pretty far down that dark path IMO. I predict the local level civil disobedience by a certain group will rise tremendously in the near term. I fear the ramifications of 1/6 will be with us for a long time.