Et tu, Cuomo?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Et tu, Cuomo?

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:48 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:45 pm Party first.
Honestly that is what it feels like to me. Another factor perhaps is that prosecutors are risk averse by their nature. She got someone else to run the investigation, she landed solid blows, and got to stand under the lights on national tv. Why take a risk that'll blow up in her face?
If that's what she's looking for, wouldn't she just find some technical reason why she can't charge Cuomo, or conclude that his conduct was reprehensible but not illegal? As it is this just looks bizarre for her.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:54 pm
Honestly that is what it feels like to me. Another factor perhaps is that prosecutors are risk averse by their nature. She got someone else to run the investigation, she landed solid blows, and got to stand under the lights on national tv. Why take a risk that'll blow up in her face?
If that's what she's looking for, wouldn't she just find some technical reason why she can't charge Cuomo, or conclude that his conduct was reprehensible but not illegal? As it is this just looks bizarre for her.
You'd think. That is why I expressed frustration at the press being shit again. I just wanted one reporter to ask - why was there no charging decision? A pretty straightforward question. Instead, they mostly asked headline generation questions.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fucking hell. He is saying he is just misunderstood. Good lord.

Edit: He is saying one of his accusers is lying. This is appalling. What a dirt bag.

Edit 2: Taped and didn't take questions.
malchior

Post by malchior »

His machine has also been actively sliming accusers. (This is an excerpt from the report released today).

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:59 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:54 pm
You'd think. That is why I expressed frustration at the press being shit again. I just wanted one reporter to ask - why was there no charging decision? A pretty straightforward question. Instead, they mostly asked headline generation questions.
I just don't understand who is supposed to be satisfied with this. Cuomo and his team obviously are unhappy. But I can't see anyone else being happy with this either since he's not getting charged.

My guess is that James will probably be eventually shamed into charging Cuomo.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

She might face pressure. There is a cynical play here. She has been rumored to be going after the Governor's chair herself. If she doesn't charge him then it might look better for her. It's certainly less risk for her. And if the party agrees to back her because Cuomo is being a delusional melomaniac then she might not even get lots of pressure. What'll happen is Cuomo will get constant, maybe even increasing pressure to resign, maybe the state legislature will open hearings to pile on more pressure, etc. We'll see.

Edit: Criminal Investigation in Albany County. Very shrewd. They farmed it out. Maybe to position James.
NY Times wrote:Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is under criminal investigation, the Albany County prosecutor said, as a report by the New York State attorney general found that the governor had violated state and federal law by sexually harassing his employees.

Investigators working on behalf of the attorney general said in the report released Tuesday that Mr. Cuomo had violated the law in multiple instances of unwelcome and inappropriate touching reported by those they interviewed. They said his behavior constituted sexual harassment that had created a hostile work environment.

In a statement, the Albany County district attorney, David Soares, said that his office was conducting an investigation into Mr. Cuomo’s behavior and that it would be requesting investigative materials that the attorney general’s office had obtained.

In his statement, Mr. Soares encouraged other victims to contact his office.

The report said that law enforcement authorities, including the Albany Police Department, had been notified of allegations in the report, including that the governor had groped the breast of an unnamed executive assistant.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Biden just was asked by a reporter at his COVID briefing if Cuomo should resign. The answer was unambiguous, "Yes".
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this whole report by James the sexual harassment equivalent to the Mueller report? She's teeing it up and expecting someone else to run with it?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:53 pm Is this whole report by James the sexual harassment equivalent to the Mueller report? She's teeing it up and expecting someone else to run with it?
It looks that way but for very different reasons.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Biden just called on Cuomo to resign.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:51 pm Biden just called on Cuomo to resign.
Bam. :)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:53 pm Is this whole report by James the sexual harassment equivalent to the Mueller report? She's teeing it up and expecting someone else to run with it?
The difference is that a ton of major Democrats are already lining up in calls for resignation or removal.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:50 pm
The difference is that a ton of major Democrats are already lining up in calls for resignation or removal.
Yeah. Luckily we have garbage humans like this saying that's weakness.

To folks who don't know who this is, she worked in the 2016 Trump campaign, got knocked up by her married boss Jason Miller (ugh), and is famous for getting kicked to the curb by Trump when Miller was done with her like Ming the Merciless blasting a bride into deep space. She is consistently a good voice to hear how morally vacant Conservatives see things.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Republicans: We Make Sure Our Sexual Predators Stay in Power!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:31 am Republicans: We Make Sure Our Sexual Predators Stay in Power!
Never say Bill Clinton didn't do anything for the GOP.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

And hey, New York now has its first ever female governor (Kathy Hochul).
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I listened to his drawn out resignation speech. Essentially, he is a victim of generational differences shifting the line for judging his behavior
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:23 pm I listen to his drawn out resignation speech. Essentially, he is a victim of generational differences shifting the line for judging his behavior
Well, he's not wrong on that - there's no way he resigns for this 30 years ago. Probably not even 10 years ago. But that's not a great defense on the merits of his conduct.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:23 pm I listened to his drawn out resignation speech. Essentially, he is a victim of generational differences shifting the line for judging his behavior
I'm curious where he ultimately emerges when the dust settles. Hist tale is like a comic book villain origin story.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:35 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:23 pm I listened to his drawn out resignation speech. Essentially, he is a victim of generational differences shifting the line for judging his behavior
I'm curious where he ultimately emerges when the dust settles. Hist tale is like a comic book villain origin story.
After a suitable amount of time in exile he'll probably be a periodic talking head on some news show. Or he'll be on Dancing With the Stars because that's America!

Was a nice touch having his lawyer be his opening act, detailing why all the evidence thus far is unreliable and casting doubt on the findings thus far.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll be overjoyed if they charge him. Barring that I hope he just fades away.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I think he still has quite a bit of popularity among New Yorkers so assuming he skates on the charges who knows what the future holds for him...
Black lives matter!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

His behavior sounds like an entry level resume for Congress.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:57 pm I think he still has quite a bit of popularity among New Yorkers so assuming he skates on the charges who knows what the future holds for him...
I'm sure Cuomo will do fine for himself, but I don't see him winning a major election again. His political allies were drawn to him because of his power, not because they believed in his vision or leadership. Now that he's out of power, most of those allies won't want anything to do with him. And everyone else just thinks he's an asshole.

I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge my state's recent track record of governors:

Eliot Spitzer (2007-2008) - Resigned after media reports that he patronized a prostitution ring. In his defense, it was an extremely high-class prostitution ring.

David Paterson (2008-2010) - Lt. Governor elevated to the big chair after Spitzer stepped down. Dropped out of the 2010 election following reports that he engaged in witness tampering after one of his aides allegedly abused a women.

Andrew Cuomo (2011-2021) - A good old-fashioned groper.

Kathy Hochul (2021-?) - I can only assume that she's murdered someone and the truth will eventually come out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Cuomo's first job is escaping jail. Assuming he does that, if Democrats lose in 2024 I could see him mounting a "you need a strong takes-no-prisoners Democrat to beat the Republicans" themed comeback in the following years.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's zero chance of him going to jail. More likely it will be an out of court settlement paid and he'll disappear for a while.

Things have changed dramatically in the last 20 years, but we're not at the point where we're incarcerating the Cuomos of the world for their creepy work interactions.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:41 pm There's zero chance of him going to jail. More likely it will be an out of court settlement paid and he'll disappear for a while.

Things have changed dramatically in the last 20 years, but we're not at the point where we're incarcerating the Cuomos of the world for their creepy work interactions.
Honestly I haven't read that many details of the allegations, though I got the general sense that it went beyond being touchy-feely. I could be wrong, though.

Point is either way Cuomo is best served by staying out of the limelight and doing whatever his lawyers say to do for awhile. At some point he'll likely want to write a book once he starts to feel safe to step out into the limelight.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, it's not like he's an Illinois governor.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

:lol:

(Maybe too soon)
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That pitchbot is great.

Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Oh hey, look who just emailed me.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe it's not entirely accurate, but reporting today is that Cuomo attempted to abandon his dog as he left the governor's mansion.

Hanging's too good for him.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
A New York State public ethics commission has voted to order former Gov. Andrew Cuomo to pay back earnings from the $5.1 million deal he received to write a book about leading the state during the coronavirus pandemic, after the commission previously found that state resources were used in connection with the book's creation.

Cuomo has 30 days to return the money, according to the resolution, which CNN obtained through a source familiar with the vote.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The usual awful conversation between Gail Collins and Bret Stephens had a moment where I just stared at the 'page' and was agape at how awful Bret Stephens is. He wonders if Cuomo shouldn't have resigned because none of the investigations turned into substantiated criminal charges. Gail at least points out the #MeToo elephant in the room. But Bret wondering about the power politics so nakedly always is so disappointing to see.

Bret Stephens wonders if Cuomo should have resigned
Bret Stephens: Last week I joined a video call with the estimable Russia expert Fiona Hill to discuss the war in Ukraine. She warned that Vladimir Putin may already be laying the groundwork for the use of chemical or even tactical nuclear weapons should he fail to win quickly, perhaps through some “false flag” operation that he can blame on Ukraine or the United States.

Anyway, good morning, Gail.

Before we get to tragedy, can we dwell on farce? I loved your column on Andrew Cuomo’s chutzpadik attempt at a comeback.

Gail Collins: I guess Cuomo’s only recent public service is distracting the public from the horror of international news.

Bret: It’s like going to a doctor who diagnoses you with cancer and then adds that you also have gonorrhea. Just to be clear, Putin is the cancer in this analogy.

Gail: Cuomo’s successor, Kathy Hochul, a former lieutenant governor, is in a tough place right now, given the cranky, Covid-exhausted, inflation-irate state of the state. But I can’t say I’ve heard anybody going around saying: “Hey, what New York really needs is to go back to the guy who kept grabbing his female associates.”

Any thoughts on your end?

Bret: Cuomo has about as much chance of making a political comeback in New York State as Ted Cruz does of winning a Mr. Congeniality contest. And friends of mine who have known Cuomo for decades usually describe him with a vulgar noun modified by the adjective “colossal.”

That said, the fact that five separate investigations into Cuomo’s alleged sexual misconduct were all dropped should give those who rushed to convict him in the court of public opinion — this would include me — pause to take stock of our own behavior. We elided the difference between gross behavior and criminal behavior, and we created a political stampede that effectively revoked the will of voters. I never voted for Cuomo in the first place, but maybe he shouldn’t have resigned.

Gail: American history is full of politicians who fell into sexual scandal but survived. Andrew’s tabloid-headline offenses involved treating the women he worked with in a disrespectful, handsy, ass-groping way.

It’s true that his behavior wasn’t found to be actually criminal and that may say a lot about how hard it is to prove these cases. But at a very minimal minimum, it’s something that makes you want to go “eeuuw.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sure, why not:
Former Gov. Andrew Cuomo is indicating to allies he may want to run for New York City mayor if fellow Democrat Eric Adams sinks under the weight of a federal investigation.

Cuomo, who resigned more than two years ago amid allegations of sexual harassment and claims his administration covered up the number of Covid-19 deaths tied to nursing homes, has begun in recent days to gauge the viability of a potential mayoral bid, according to eight people who have talked to him or his inner circle.

And a new poll that began circulating last week measures how voters feel about Cuomo, his accomplishments in office and the controversies that led to his resignation.

“I got the impression that he is ready,” said the Rev. Ruben Diaz Sr., a former state senator and ex-member of the New York City Council, who spoke to Cuomo last week. “No one knows what’s going to happen in the city.”
Holman

Post by Holman »

WTF?

I know two dozen people in NYC right now. Any of them--even the kids under 16--would be better mayors than Adams or a Cuomo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is it too early for polls?
A majority of New York City voters believe Mayor Eric Adams should resign if he is indicted in an FBI probe targeting his 2021 campaign, according to a new poll released Saturday.

And if Adams were to leave office prematurely, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo — who stepped down in 2021 amid a series of sexual harassment allegations — would lead the pack of potential successors, according to a survey conducted by the political consulting firm Slingshot Strategies and shared with POLITICO.