The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by Drazzil »

We have no constitutional or legal way out of this. I will continue to say this. Our construction is rigged for failure and our legal system is written and interpreted to keep the rich guilty out of prison.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh...fine...I'll gas up the V8 Interceptor and get my Lord Humungus outfit.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:00 pm Sigh...fine...I'll gas up the V8 Interceptor and get my Lord Humungus outfit.
You do know that gasoline will stop working after a year or so...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TV tells me otherwise. Go peddle your lies somewhere else.

In other words….Just walk away. Just walk away.

P.S. Lord Humungus is not stupid. I’ll freeze what gas I don’t need right away.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A Republican takes credit for the bipartisan infrastructure bill they voted No on.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'm shocked. Never in a million year did I think a Republican would take credit for something they fought against. I......never mind. It didn't even make me blink.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:48 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:11 pmSometimes when you take the job you/yours forfeit certain sources of income. Well, it used to be that way. Now? We are so obsessed with making money. Can't take away Hunter's right to sell art at bullshit prices. It may be buying access to the White House but Hunter's rights!

Trump was a symptom, not the disease.
This is the meat of the matter to me. Hunter is putting the administration in a bad spot. They could have said that, distanced themselves, and kept their pledge to maintain high ethical standards after Trump. Instead they did this. It's gross.

Even though this might be 100% legitimate, we just had the most corrupt Presidency in America. This is not the way to restore faith. At all.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Can someone explain to me what the holdup is with BBB? Why don't they just sit down with Manchin and Sinema, give them a BBB menu with programs/costs and then let them pick and sign off on what they are willing to commit to, and then just pass the bill. That's what's going to come down to in the end so just do it. Or is the story that Manchin and Sinema have been given the opportunity to do so but keep waffling and won't really commit to or sign off on anything? So who is stringing this thing out? It's make the Democrats look incompetent IMO.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, are we sure yet that Manchin and Sinema will vote yes on any version of BBB? The entirely reasonable and evidenced fear has been that once the bipartisan infrastructure bill was in place that Manchin and Sinema would just kill the BBB bill.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:31 pm Well, are we sure yet that Manchin and Sinema will vote yes on any version of BBB? The entirely reasonable and evidenced fear has been that once the bipartisan infrastructure bill was in place that Manchin and Sinema would just kill the BBB bill.
Well, like I said, get them in a room and sign what if anything they will sign off on. Then Democrats will at least know where they are at.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:19 pm Can someone explain to me what the holdup is with BBB?
It's called politics.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

With only 50 votes, everyone can play Manchin and Sienema. They’re negotiating the SALT last I heard. But the top dollar cap on BBB makes that harder — the Blue states were double taxed by Republicans like a piggy bank so undoing the bullshit costs and looks like they’re helping the wealthy.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNN
The White House wants to get something straight: President Joe Biden is unpopular. But he's not that unpopular.

Yes, really.

Witness a polling memo released Thursday night by deputy White House chief of staff Jen O'Malley Dillon that takes issue with a new Quinnipiac University poll that shows Biden's job approval at a meager 33%.

"This week's Quinnipiac poll, just like Quinnipiac's poll for the last five months, is very likely an outlier," writes Dillon.

As evidence, she cites the FiveThirtyEight running poll average (of all polls conducted) that shows Biden with an average job approval score of 43%. She blames Biden's low numbers in the Q poll on the higher-than-average percentage of people saying they "don't know" in response to the question of whether they approve or disapprove of the job Biden is doing." Concludes Dillon: "This is likely in part because Quinnipiac still exclusively uses a method called RDD (Random Digit Dialing, calling phone numbers at random) to collect data, a method which many major organizations have abandoned."

Which, maybe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior, man, you gotta post a trigger warning before posting something from Cillizza.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think Malchior posting is a trigger warning. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 pm malchior, man, you gotta post a trigger warning before posting something from Cillizza.
Fair but in this case he actually makes a reasonable point. If you're defending your outlier polls like this...what is going on. It lines up with the questions about whether Biden is looking to make a change that are starting to roll in.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:53 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 pm malchior, man, you gotta post a trigger warning before posting something from Cillizza.
Fair but in this case he actually makes a reasonable point. If you're defending your outlier polls like this...what is going on. It lines up with the questions about whether Biden is looking to make a change that are starting to roll in.
I mean, there is a pretty substantial difference between 43% approval and 33% approval, even if neither is great.

I don't know whether it's out of the ordinary to respond to presidential approval polls like this.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:53 pm
I mean, there is a pretty substantial difference between 43% approval and 33% approval, even if neither is great.

I don't know whether it's out of the ordinary to respond to presidential approval polls like this.
It's certainly true that's a big difference. I just think it is fair to point out this just looks silly (and possibly really weak) that they are spending time getting all wonky on a poll's methodology. Who are they trying to influence there? The media? The pollsters? This is a really weird and ineffective way to work the refs.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Any man who says I am not THAT unpopular is....nowhere near as popular as he wants to be.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have a difficult time understanding exactly what Biden did wrong. He got the vaccine distributed. Got us the f out of Afghanistan. Tried to establish Covid restrictions. He was stymied by the solid bloc of Repugnicans and a few DINOs in Congress.

I guess he didn't go far enough to please the Left, and there is no longer any significant center in this country. He is not much of a visionary, but it seems he is what was needed post Florida Man. But it's now a Tik Toc world.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 pm I have a difficult time understanding exactly what Biden did wrong. He got the vaccine distributed. Got us the f out of Afghanistan. Tried to establish Covid restrictions. He was stymied by the solid bloc of Repugnicans and a few DINOs in Congress.

I guess he didn't go far enough to please the Left, and there is no longer any significant center in this country. He is not much of a visionary, but it seems he is what was needed post Florida Man. But it's now a Tik Toc world.
Most people just look around at how things are going. Inflation is galloping, covid is raging and we're all done fighting it, there are rolling supply shortages, and the free money dried up. Biden didn't restore normality. Voters don't want to hear excuses for why.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 pm I have a difficult time understanding exactly what Biden did wrong. He got the vaccine distributed. Got us the f out of Afghanistan. Tried to establish Covid restrictions. He was stymied by the solid bloc of Repugnicans and a few DINOs in Congress.

Most people just look around at how things are going. Inflation is galloping, covid is raging and we're all done fighting it, there are rolling supply shortages, and the free money dried up. Biden didn't restore normality. Voters don't want to hear excuses for why.
What we need is an outsider. Someone who says it like it is and isn't afraid to shake up the fat cats in DC!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's several things. His administration has appeared to be underprepared. They were supposed to be the return of competence and it sure looks like they can not anticipate the problems that somehow people inside and outside the beltway have been warning them about. For example, many said that leaving Afghanistan wouldn't be easy. I'm not talking about the unexpected collapse here. I just mean even if the Afghan army stuck together for 6 month, a lot of folks said we were going to have problems leaving. Part of that was Trump setting him up for failure with the aggressive timeline, so people counseled taking a beat. He said no , we're going, full speed ahead. He rolled the dice, ripped off the band aid, and in the end badly bungled the exit. He embarrassed us, he pissed off allies, the Afghan army collapsed and we had no plan for failure. For instance, we gave up multiple airports which limited our ability to safely exit, there weren't enough troops to provide security (which was known), in the end there were images of men falling off our planes, etc.

On the pandemic front public several health experts were criticizing their strategy. Ultimately there will be a lot of hand wringing and analysis about installing a beltway insider management consultant as the pandemic czar. Especially consistently they've been consistently underprepared and often reacting to problems. Often weeks behind what people suggested from outside the administration. For instance, Psaki belittling the idea of sending tests to people's homes (like our peers do). Guess what we just announced weeks too late?

On the voting rights front, people said that is going to be your biggest burning fire in our democracy. He decided to prioritize BBB and the economy. People warned that Manchin wasn't going to play ball and they needed to take a wider front on voting rights. Here we are in mid-January and he pissed off his allies and ended up getting snubbed by a person who should be the voting right czar and people who should be allies.

In other words, the guy has the appearance of repeated failures hanging on him. Some of it isn't fair - he got a bad hand on the economy. The Republicans are a nightmare. Manchin/Sinema are ridiculous. Still he signed up for the big job and he owns this stuff. Looking forward it isn't too hard to forecast that the Republicans are going to run on how he ultimately didn't help with the pandemic. It isn't fair but they are going to strap that on him. They are going to hang all sorts of issues they created on him. The administration has not demonstrated any lasting capacity to change the narrative. His first year is definitely not a disaster by any means but he is heading in the direction of disaster. And we see little to hint that they see that the risk of failure is unacceptably high or doing anything to try to change the path. It's not encouraging.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 pm

What we need is an outsider. Someone who says it like it is and isn't afraid to shake up the fat cats in DC!
It's just that when asked how much they like Biden, most voters are swiping left. Doesn't necessarily mean we miss trump's toxic embrace, just that this guy isn't working out and we want someone else. Those who do follow politics saw a drawn out, high profile failure dominate the second half of last year, with another one in progress right now. If Biden runs in '24, as el Guapo assures us that he will, then "someone else" will be the R candidate by default. We only ever get two choices.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 pm We only ever get two choices.
If that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

For me personally, it's also the SEEMING non-chalance of dealing with the aftermath of a near auto-coup, with the riots, elector/VP BS, conspiracy, etc. Fair or not, to me that was THE most important thing...and I would not have been upset if 90% of the new adminsitration's focus was on that, but it seemed like 10% was on it, and I guess they were hoping that BBB and "pandemic stance" would save them in the eyes of the public. "Let's just kinda forget this late unpleasantness and move on! The mean ol' baddy is gone, business as usual folks!!" I mean, at LEAST go after Lindsey Fucking Graham, geez. You have a recorded phone call!!

I will state again that it's probably not even mostly his fault, but this attitude seems to permeate the whole administration and the D's in general. I was really hoping for (not sure WHY considering the track record) a MUCH more aggressive stance and a little bit more alarm, frankly.

I know, a lot of "SEEMS" and "THINKS" and "FEELS" there, thus all the disclaimers. Maybe a ton of stuff was going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to...but from a common citizen's perspective...the attitude in general has been super weak.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm What we need is an outsider. Someone who says it like it is and isn't afraid to shake up the fat cats in DC!
:mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

em2nought wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm What we need is an outsider. Someone who says it like it is and isn't afraid to shake up the fat cats in DC!
Enlarge Image
Trump 2024?

No more! Bullshit!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I know, a lot of "SEEMS" and "THINKS" and "FEELS" there, thus all the disclaimers. Maybe a ton of stuff was going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to...but from a common citizen's perspective...the attitude in general has been super weak.
I think the other thing we're not privy to is how chummy all these guys are behind closed doors. Most of these senators and congressmen have no real incentive to go after the co-workers they've worked alongside for years and years. And Biden's the very definition of an establishment politician. He's not going to play hardball with these folks.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 pm
Enlarge Image
That's the joke.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The irony of a pathological liar using that in their slogan is pretty amusing, you have to admit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

My last of my morning reading because I'm nearly ready to hit the bottle before 9 AM. This piece does an excellent job summating Biden's issues in what I felt was a fair way. Collinson captures the grim mood and distills many of the issues out to explain why people are on page with the indicators that we are in major decline -- naturally polarized on the causes -- and are blaming Biden for it.

CNN
President Joe Biden often says America's best days are ahead. It just doesn't feel that way right now.

A nation exhausted by a two-year pandemic, struggling against rising food and gas prices, driven to distraction by school closures and torn apart by a political schism that erupted into violence is far from at ease with itself.

The sense of turmoil was captured in a new CNN/SSRS poll released Thursday that showed waning faith in US elections and found that most of the nearly 60% of Americans who disapprove of how Biden is handling his presidency were unable to name one single thing they like that he has done. "He's not Donald Trump. That's pretty much it," one despondent respondent said. Another answered: "I really like his new cat, Willow Biden."

Also on Thursday there was news that a key measure of inflation had climbed to a near-40-year high last month. Rising prices have a kind of strange magic that not only spooks voters, but also seeds the kind of political derangement in which extremists like former President Donald Trump can prosper.

His assault on facts -- aided by pliant right-wing media -- has his fans yearning for his authoritarian return to power 13 months after he incited the deadly insurrection at the US Capitol. The country no longer has a common understanding of the truth, with 37% of Americans saying Biden did not legitimately win enough votes to be president, according to CNN's new poll.

This foul national mood is primarily a disaster in the making for Democrats in November's midterm elections, but it's been a long time coming.

The first two decades of this century have delivered morale-busting military defeats, a generational economic crisis and an age of political turmoil, including sweeping social and demographic change and an equally intense backlash.
It goes on and on from there.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jake Tapper takes Biden to task.

The video at the link above is an indication that things are really not going well for Biden to say the least. For those not aware, there have been several reports being compiled about Afghanistan. One was obtained by the Washington Post backing what many of us saw in that the Biden administration badly bungled the withdrawal. The report consists of approximately 2000 pages of Pentagon interviews with dozens of soldiers, officers, and commanders on the group at the time. The report has been characterized as repeated failures by the administration. In the face of that testimony, Biden flat out rejected it when interviewed by NBC. An assertion that Tapper call "insulting" to the troops.

Biden was supposed to be better than this. By a lot. In the face of criticism backed by extensive documentation, he is at best deciding to ignore that he was fed bad information at the time. Instead of owning it and saying he'd get to the bottom of the disconnect, he is just saying the reporting must be wrong. We have good reason to have severe doubts about his abilities at this point. And I don't mean in the sense of capability. I mean in the sense of good judgement. He is going down a path that doesn't have good ends for our nation if this continues.
Washington Post wrote:Declassified U.S. military analyses of the calamitous exit from Afghanistan detail repeated instances of friction between American troops and diplomats before and during the evacuation, concluding that indecisiveness among Biden administration officials and initial reluctance to shutter the embassy in Kabul sowed chaos and put the overall mission at “increased risk.”

Two “after action” reports were prepared by officials assigned to U.S. Central Command in September, about three weeks after the final planeload of military personnel departed Hamid Karzai International Airport. The assessments appear to affirm separate accounts of senior U.S. commanders frustrated by what they characterized as sloppy, misguided management of the withdrawal.

As The Washington Post first reported Tuesday, military leaders who coordinated the evacuation fault officials in the White House and the State Department who, they say, failed to respect the Taliban’s swift advance last year and resisted pleas from the military to prepare for an evacuation weeks before Kabul’s fall.

The declassified after-action analyses are contained within an official report detailing the military’s investigation of an Aug. 26 suicide bombing outside the airport’s Abbey Gate that killed an estimated 170 Afghans and 13 U.S. service members. The report, obtained by The Washington Post through a Freedom of Information Act request, comprises dozens of witness interviews, findings of fact, and other official government records. Spanning 2,000 pages, it presents the most extensive, unvarnished account to date of the United States’ 17-day race to end its longest war.

The existence of the after-action reports contradicts claims made Friday by White House press secretary Jen Psaki, who has joined President Biden and other administration officials in seeking to downplay the significance of U.S. commanders’ remarks.

“I think it’s important for people to understand that there was no after-action report,” Psaki told reporters in the White House briefing room.

A National Security Council official — who, like some other officials, spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue — said Saturday that Psaki’s statement from the podium referred to a forthcoming, more extensive review of the war’s endgame.

“Many people have wrongly conflated the Abbey Gate report and documents released to The Washington Post with the Pentagon’s after-action review of Afghanistan — a broad report that will examine the final months of America’s longest war, beginning in February 2020,” the official said, referencing the month that President Donald Trump made a deal with the Taliban, setting the stage for a withdrawal of all U.S. troops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Given the choice between Biden and Trump, it's no choice at all but I do hope there is something going on somewhere to decide he's not going to run again and that someone (Booker? Merkley? Someone?) capable and electable steps up to the plate in time. If only the Biden we had for the first three months or so was the Biden we kept on having. He started so much better than I expected and then not so much.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah the decision between Biden/Trump is a no brainer. I'm personally angry that we had someone who had a pretty poor track record foisted on us as the best compromise. It's been a year now and we have to face that Biden is looking to be another weak/terrible President. The system keeps churning out these bad choices and we keep getting further and further into the hole. I didn't have a lot of hope for Biden but I didn't think he'd be polling in Trump territory. Or that he would have earned the crap ratings without the GOP even having to get their hands dirty to some degree.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:50 pm Yeah the decision between Biden/Trump is a no brainer. I'm personally angry that we had someone who had a pretty poor track record foisted on us as the best compromise. It's been a year now and we have to face that Biden is looking to be another weak/terrible President. The system keeps churning out these bad choices and we keep getting further and further into the hole. I didn't have a lot of hope for Biden but I didn't think he'd be polling in Trump territory. Or that he would have earned the crap ratings without the GOP even having to get their hands dirty to some degree.
Yeah, this is where I'm at, as well. A major part of the problem, IMO, is that precisely because the need to beat Trump was so great, that we wound up with Biden, the 'compromise' choice. Not the best choice, but the one most likely to steal back some MAGA folks (misguided as that belief may have been).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:37 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:50 pm Yeah the decision between Biden/Trump is a no brainer. I'm personally angry that we had someone who had a pretty poor track record foisted on us as the best compromise. It's been a year now and we have to face that Biden is looking to be another weak/terrible President. The system keeps churning out these bad choices and we keep getting further and further into the hole. I didn't have a lot of hope for Biden but I didn't think he'd be polling in Trump territory. Or that he would have earned the crap ratings without the GOP even having to get their hands dirty to some degree.
Yeah, this is where I'm at, as well. A major part of the problem, IMO, is that precisely because the need to beat Trump was so great, that we wound up with Biden, the 'compromise' choice. Not the best choice, but the one most likely to steal back some MAGA folks (misguided as that belief may have been).
Ya the reality is that they looked at all the candidates and the only one they knew would beat Trump was Biden because they couldn't firmly label him as a socialist. It's f'n ridiculous that our likely choices in 2024 will be Biden or Trump again. We're so f'n screwed. And now the right wing is pushing hard on the Durham probe saying Clinton did spy on Trump. Which they are then spinning into him being right about 2020. Seriously f off... :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

For fans of The West Wing, he's Bob Russell.
TOBY
As befits this vertiginous choice? [Toby stands up] Distinguished is as
high as we go; you have to be high to go loftier. Here's what it should
be. [Will beings to type] In a triumph of the middling, a nod to mediocrity,
and with gorge rising, it gives me great nausea to announce Robert Russell -
Bingo Bob himself - as your new Vice President.

WILL
This lapdog of mining interests is as dull as he is unremarkable.

TOBY
As lacklustre as he is soporific...

WILL
Good.

TOBY
This reversion to the mean...

WILL
This rebuke to the exemplary...

TOBY
Gives hope to the millions unfavoured by the exceptional...

WILL
Yes.

TOBY
The Vice Presidency, being famously once described as not being worth a
warm bucket of spit; let's now hock a big loogie for Bob Russell. Not the
worst. Not the best. Just what we're stuck with.

WILL
Amen.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sadly, +1. I started with low expectations for him, got my hopes up, and now have even lower expectations than I started with.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If we have to choose between Biden and Trump again, it'll still be a no-brainer. It'll also be a no-winner.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)