COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gizmodo
The Australian government canceled its homegrown covid-19 vaccine development plans with the University of Queensland on Friday after vaccine trial participants showed “false positives” in tests for HIV. The Australian vaccine was developed using a protein fragment of HIV called Gp41 that’s used to stabilize the inoculation.

The Australian vaccine was still in Phase 1 trials with just 216 volunteer participants, but researchers had been working on development of this vaccine for nearly 11 months. The vaccine didn’t show any other safety concerns, aside from the false positive HIV tests, but that alone would simply be unacceptable if it occurred in the general population.

The University of Queensland and its partner organizations will now pivot to manufacturing the UK-developed AstraZeneca vaccine under license for Australia’s population of roughly 26 million people. Australia has already purchased 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, which should be available in March, assuming it gains regulatory approval in the country.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 am Gizmodo
The Australian government canceled its homegrown covid-19 vaccine development plans with the University of Queensland on Friday after vaccine trial participants showed “false positives” in tests for HIV. The Australian vaccine was developed using a protein fragment of HIV called Gp41 that’s used to stabilize the inoculation.

The Australian vaccine was still in Phase 1 trials with just 216 volunteer participants, but researchers had been working on development of this vaccine for nearly 11 months. The vaccine didn’t show any other safety concerns, aside from the false positive HIV tests, but that alone would simply be unacceptable if it occurred in the general population.

The University of Queensland and its partner organizations will now pivot to manufacturing the UK-developed AstraZeneca vaccine under license for Australia’s population of roughly 26 million people. Australia has already purchased 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, which should be available in March, assuming it gains regulatory approval in the country.
viewtopic.php?p=2784859#p2784859
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sanofi/GlaxoSmithKline protein subunit COVID-19 vaccine has 'insufficient' antigen in Phase II trials, which lead to 'disapointing results in older adults'. this particular vaccine candidate's further trials will be delayed for some time.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/11/san ... 9-vaccine/

those trickytricky AstraZeneca/Oxford people are now teaming up with Russia's Gamaleya Institute to 'combine' their vaccines (AZD1222 and Gam-COVID-Vac aka Sputnik V aka the vaccine candidate that was tried out on a few dozen serfspeople so Putin called it all well and good) in a new trial:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55273907
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/11/coronav ... aleya.html
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Little Raven wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:34 pm
Unless I'm missing something.
You're missing Science!. Unless we know something and have been able to test it, you shouldn't claim a thing. it is incredibly rare (but it has happened) that a vaccine can confer immunity but still allow transmission.

However, good science doesn't allow for that kind of probability. So the official answer is "we don't know."
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 pm He added: “Stop playing games and start saving lives!!!”

From the guy who literally played [golf] games while people died on his watch. Really?

1:42pm. Time to start drinking.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:43 pm 1:42pm. Time to start drinking.
Slept in late? ;)
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just found out I'll be getting the vaccine sooner rather than later. Work just told us that as healthcare employees (even those not in direct contact with patients), we are eligible for first round.

I get the reasoning, which is why I was speculating this might be the case a few weeks back. In short, all hospital employees are considered patient care because even if we never hit a patient floor, we're supporting the infrastructure that supports the doctors/nurses which support the patient. Take out any cog in that machine and you have potential patient impact.

No word yet on exact timing, and I'm sure the initial shipments will go to the docs and nurses, but I'd assume by end of January for sure, if not sooner.

They did point out that unlike flu shots, spouses/family members would likely not be eligible, which is understandable given the limited number.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:50 am Just found out I'll be getting the vaccine sooner rather than later. Work just told us that as healthcare employees (even those not in direct contact with patients), we are eligible for first round.

I get the reasoning, which is why I was speculating this might be the case a few weeks back. In short, all hospital employees are considered patient care because even if we never hit a patient floor, we're supporting the infrastructure that supports the doctors/nurses which support the patient. Take out any cog in that machine and you have potential patient impact.

No word yet on exact timing, and I'm sure the initial shipments will go to the docs and nurses, but I'd assume by end of January for sure, if not sooner.

They did point out that unlike flu shots, spouses/family members would likely not be eligible, which is understandable given the limited number.
We're being told January for administrative staff.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:07 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:40 am I'm wondering whether we'll get any bump in line due to being primary caregivers for a medically vulnerable kid. The NYT thing says I'm toward the back of the line, but I'm hoping to get ahead to try to keep my kid safe.
I'd ask your family's PCP and/or a visiting nurse (if you have one) about it. Your thought process makes sense, though in truth i can't say that I've seen a special call-out for domestic care providers in the plans. That doesn't mean they're not there, but the numbers might be so small they're just not specifically listed. If I'm able to get one because I'm working a clinic (and as far removed from front line care in any capacity as I could be), there's no reason you shouldn't be able to as well.
Our doctor doesn't have any ideas on this - they tell me that it's being handled by the hospitals so they won't have any input on things. I'll have to do some more research on how things are being done in Illinois to see how folks are getting prioritized.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:35 pm Our doctor doesn't have any ideas on this - they tell me that it's being handled by the hospitals so they won't have any input on things. I'll have to do some more research on how things are being done in Illinois to see how folks are getting prioritized.
Maybe call your local health department and ask to speak with the public health nurse. From the state's FAQ, you're in Phase 1a:
Physicians, nurses, respiratory technicians, dentists and hygienists, nursing assistants, assisted living facility staff, long-term care facility staff, group home staff, home caregivers, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), etc.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:55 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:35 pm Our doctor doesn't have any ideas on this - they tell me that it's being handled by the hospitals so they won't have any input on things. I'll have to do some more research on how things are being done in Illinois to see how folks are getting prioritized.
Maybe call your local health department and ask to speak with the public health nurse. From the state's FAQ, you're in Phase 1a:
Physicians, nurses, respiratory technicians, dentists and hygienists, nursing assistants, assisted living facility staff, long-term care facility staff, group home staff, home caregivers, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), etc.
Judging by context, and using standard industry terminology, that most likely refers to professional home health workers, not family who cares for family members at home. Though like anything not explxitly stated , it can be interpreted several different ways.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fair point. I'm using it broadly, but yeah, maybe they're using industry-standard terminology.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Me and my family are very low risk due to our social behaviors, so we are fine being at the back of the line.

I know that medical staff and other first responders are at the front of the line, but what about deliver driver? is there a way to get grubhub and ubereats drivers to be second in line?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Once people get the vaccine and it mutates in them after a year and turns them all into darkness seeking mutated vampires I shall be legend.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Looks like Chicago is getting its supply separate from the state, so I sent a note to the Chicago Dept of Public Health. We'll see if anything comes from it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Erlanger Health System turns to local ice company to help store COVID-19 vaccine
The Pfizer vaccine will need to be stored at sub-zero temperatures. "We were instructed very early on by the department of health and the companies not to purchase the sub-zero freezers or the ultra-cold freezers because it [Pfizer] will be shipped in containers with dry ice so the temperature can be maintained," Duffy said.
Saving money I guess....sounds stupid.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We were scheduled to start vaccinating tomorrow but delivery was delayed. Maybe Thurs or Friday.

First group is 4,000 doses and it's on a clock, apparently they have to get jabbed before it goes bad. Once brought to temp, can't be re-frozen.

So it sounds like the Pfizer variety.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:19 pm We were scheduled to start vaccinating tomorrow but delivery was delayed. Maybe Thurs or Friday.

First group is 4,000 doses and it's on a clock, apparently they have to get jabbed before it goes bad. Once brought to temp, can't be re-frozen.

So it sounds like the Pfizer variety.
I was listening to the logistics required on the TV yesterday and last week. It sounds like there should be a standby line. The window for error across the board seems small.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Moderna vaccine recommended by FDA scientists, FDA votes on Thursday

https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/15/fda ... -efficacy/
But the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines are not identical. One difference: Moderna’s vaccine tended to cause more vaccine reactions in clinical trials, such as fevers, aches, and chills, than the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

Severe reactions — which would lead patients to be briefly impaired, but not hospitalized, appear more common with the Moderna vaccine than with the Pfizer/BioNTech one, although comparisons from different trials can be misleading. In the Moderna study, 15.8% of patients had a severe, or grade 3, reaction. Rates of fever and severe fever were similar between studies. In the Moderna study, 65.3% had fatigue, 9.7% of it severe; muscle pain occurred in 58% of patients, 9% severe; joint pain 42.8%, with 5.2% severe.
One encouraging finding with the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was that it appeared possible a single dose of the vaccine was effective in preventing Covid-19. Moderna is presenting a different analysis of the same question, looking at Covid-19 tests that were administered to patients at their first and second doses of the vaccine.

At the second injection, there were 14 cases that tested positive for Covid-19 in the vaccine group, compared to 38 in the placebo group. None of these patients had symptoms. Although the numbers are small (there were more than 14,000 patients in each group) they may indicate that one dose of the vaccine is somewhat effective in preventing the disease, and that the vaccine prevents asymptomatic cases.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wonder what happens if you get the first dose of one and the second of the other.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:34 pm Wonder what happens if you get the first dose of one and the second of the other.
as mentioned above, there is an impending study with Astrazeneca/Oxford and Gamalaya doing something like that

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/11/coronav ... aleya.html

and speaking of Gamalaya...

https://sputnikvaccine.com/newsroom/pre ... ontrol-po/

they're finally doing the Phase III trials now, under the guise of 'generally available in Russia'
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:34 pm Wonder what happens if you get the first dose of one and the second of the other.
Right now, you can't take shots of two different vaccines, Bogoch told CBC News Network.

"If you start with Moderna, you end with Moderna," he said. "I doubt anything would happen if you mixed and matched, but it's not going to happen. You shouldn't be doing that."

That's because different vaccines haven't been tested together yet. However, tests of combinations of different types of COVID-19 vaccines have been proposed for next year, so that could change in the future.
Your COVID-19 vaccine questions answered
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Defiant wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:50 pm Your COVID-19 vaccine questions answered
Fantastic. Thank you Defiant (and thank you Canada).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Probably you get superpowers.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:56 am
Probably you get superpowers.
As long as it's not telepathy. Imagine having to listen to the stray thoughts of every moron within twenty feet of you. Laser eyes and regeneration are fine, though.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We got our shipment in today. Jabs start this evening but I'm still probably a month out personally.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

2 Health Workers Had Allergic Reactions to COVID Vaccine, Urge Others to Still Get Vaccinated
The two staffers, both at the same hospital in Alaska, developed allergy symptoms just minutes after being inoculated with the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. The hospital said that this would not change their vaccine rollout plans, and the workers still urged others to get vaccinated.

The hospital was following federal guidelines, which advise monitoring everyone who receives the COVID vaccine for 15 minutes if they have no history of allergic reactions, and for 30 minutes if they do, and the worker was quickly treated with epinephrine. She stayed in the intensive care unit overnight to monitor her symptoms.

Because of her severe allergic reaction to the vaccine, she will not receive the second dose of the vaccine, which is given three weeks later to bring its effectiveness up to 95 percent.
Most places dont have you sit around after a vaccine like they should so when it comes your time do it yourself. Get it some place you can get medical help quickly. Dont wanna die while trying to live.
The second worker who had an allergic reaction, a male staff member, had a milder reaction ten minutes after being inoculated at the same hospital. He developed eye puffiness, lightheadedness and a scratchy throat and was treated with epinephrine, Pepcid and Benadryl, and felt back to normal within an hour.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:16 pm
Most places dont have you sit around after a vaccine like they should so when it comes your time do it yourself.
What are you basing that on? I've heard they are monitoring and the article supports that in these two cases. One of the logistical issues they are facing is having someplace where everyone can stay and be monitored, but I haven't heard they are abandoning the practice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Has anyone found out what the tracking material they include inside the vaccine really does?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:16 pm
Most places dont have you sit around after a vaccine like they should so when it comes your time do it yourself.
What are you basing that on? I've heard they are monitoring and the article supports that in these two cases. One of the logistical issues they are facing is having someplace where everyone can stay and be monitored, but I haven't heard they are abandoning the practice.
From my own experiences over 25+ years. Ive had only one place and one time been asked to sit and wait. Ive had a few say I should be not enforce it. Most never bring it up. So I wouldn't trust all the backwoods and little places or swamped places to tell you. Always look after yourself.

Wouldn't be surprised to see drive through covid vaccines.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 pm Has anyone found out what the tracking material they include inside the vaccine really does?
It becomes your login credentials for Microsoft Teams.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was joking before, but now I want that.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:10 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 pm Has anyone found out what the tracking material they include inside the vaccine really does?
Will it make Teams calls work consistently? I'd accept 'deep state' scrutiny if they fix that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

None of the hospitals around here are requiring their employees to get it. Seems kinda opposite of what it should be.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:36 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:10 pm
Will it make Teams calls work consistently? I'd accept 'deep state' scrutiny if they fix that.
That's interesting - Teams has worked fantastically for us. There were a few hiccups back in May, but it's been rock solid since then.

And I'd be up for being chipped if it mean being able to forget passwords.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our first employee was vaccinated yesterday to much fanfare. Due to the extra dose thing they're estimating we have around 800 more doses than we thought. That should be enough to vaccinate about 40% of (all) staff, with a promised refresh of doses as soon as those are distributed.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 am None of the hospitals around here are requiring their employees to get it. Seems kinda opposite of what it should be.
Since it's very new, hospitals generally aren't mandating it like the flu vaccine (and others). A choice made easier by the fact that hospitals don't have enough doses for everyone right now.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW the doctors I know in the neighborhood are apparently on track to get vaccinated. One neighbor who is an ER doc at a Children's Hospital expects to get vaccinated this month. Another primary care doctor who is patient-facing and sometimes sees COVID patients expects to get in January. And a pathologist in the neighborhood (generally not patient-facing) is apparently scheduled to get it in February.

I'm sure remote working government lawyers are next in line after that.
Black Lives Matter.