COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:52 pm My pharmacy said that there was an uptick in people getting flu shots this year. Thats good to hear. I got mine in Oct as usual.
Yeah, I got mine last month.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I started getting mine annually sometime after I started seeing a PCP and not going to a clinic. I got sick after my flu shot every year when my PCP was part of a big GP clinic full of children and a huge a waiting room. The year I came down with whooping cough after my flu shot was that last time I got one many years. Since moving to private practice I have gotten sick exactly zero times after getting a flu shot.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defense One
Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that is effective against COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as from previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide.

The achievement is the result of almost two years of work on the virus. The Army lab received its first DNA sequencing of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020. Very early on, Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch decided to focus on making a vaccine that would work against not just the existing strain but all of its potential variants as well.

Walter Reed’s Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine, or SpFN, completed animal trials earlier this year with positive results. Phase 1 of human trials, which tested the vaccine against Omicron and the other variants, wrapped up this month, again with positive results that are undergoing final review, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch, said in an exclusive interview with Defense One.

Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed’s SpFN uses a soccer ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How do you prepare for a mutation before there is one?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If this SpFN vaccine pans out, what would production look like? Is the US government more likely to license production to a single company, or make it available to anyone who is capable of producing it? As I understand it, one of the chokepoints in vaccinating the world is that the pharmacorps are generally sitting on their patents and producing their own vaccines themselves, which limits the output.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:22 pm Defense One
Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that is effective against COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as from previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide.

The achievement is the result of almost two years of work on the virus. The Army lab received its first DNA sequencing of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020. Very early on, Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch decided to focus on making a vaccine that would work against not just the existing strain but all of its potential variants as well.

Walter Reed’s Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine, or SpFN, completed animal trials earlier this year with positive results. Phase 1 of human trials, which tested the vaccine against Omicron and the other variants, wrapped up this month, again with positive results that are undergoing final review, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch, said in an exclusive interview with Defense One.

Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed’s SpFN uses a soccer ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein.
Apparently they're working on two different broad-spectrum vaccines.

Series of preclinical studies supports the Army’s pan-coronavirus vaccine development strategy
A series of recently published preclinical study results show that the Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle (SpFN) COVID-19 vaccine developed by researchers at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) not only elicits a potent immune response but may also provide broad protection against SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern as well as other coronaviruses.

Scientists in WRAIR’s Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch (EIDB) developed the SpFN nanoparticle vaccine, based on a ferritin platform, as part of a forward-thinking “pan-SARS” strategy that aims to address the current pandemic and acts as a first line of defense against variants of concern and similar viruses that could emerge in the future.
WRAIR developed a secondary candidate vaccine, a SARS-CoV-2 Spike Receptor-Binding Domain Ferritin Nanoparticle (RFN) vaccine, which targets a smaller part of the coronavirus Spike protein than the SpFN vaccine. Results from a study, published recently in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, show that this vaccine potentially offers similar protection against an array of SARS-CoV-2 variants and SARS-CoV-1.

“The RFN vaccine candidate is more compact and has some natural advantages as we try to increase the immune response against multiple coronaviruses using a single vaccine platform, so it is still under consideration as part of our pan-coronavirus vaccine development pipeline,” said WRAIR structural biologist and vaccine co-inventor, Dr. Gordon Joyce.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

@DrEricDing wrote:Actually, looking closer, the SpFN trial was conducted by Walter Reed in collaboration with the Henry Jackson Foundation for Military Medicine — which is a 501c3 nonprofit. I know friends there - I will ask if @HJFMilMed
will commit to the IP being non-profit.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:54 pm How do you prepare for a mutation before there is one?
It addresses a virus mechanism that isn't significantly affected by the mutations (spike mutations or otherwise).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

18 hours after my booster i did wake up with a fever at 5am. It's gone now and I'm feeling fine. Yay!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lassr wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:03 am 18 hours after my booster i did wake up with a fever at 5am. It's gone now and I'm feeling fine. Yay!
The nanobots have adapted then.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

I do not recommend getting the flu shot and the booster at the same time if you can, but better to have both than not, and better the symptoms I had as opposed to actual COVID. Temp was over 101 for over two days, vomiting, headache, chills. Haven't felt that bad since the chickenpox back in 2017.

Nephew tested positive for COVID, so Christmas in NJ is canceled. Driving out only for gift drop-off and pickup. Stay safe out there!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I got the flu shot and booster at the same time at the end of October and had only very minor side effects (mostly sore arm). Get 'em when you can get 'em.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Got flu and booster at same time. Almost zero reaction to this round here. Everyone will be different.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Going back to what I mentioned earlier

More than 2 weeks ago @erlichya and @IdoIrani picked up the signal that the booster shot in Israel was waning at ~4 months. I flagged it here and many attacked them and were demeaning. It turned out they were right; Isreal now plans 4th shots for age 60+. No apologies of course.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

blue line: daily COVID cases in the USA

red line: bad reviews of Yankee Candles on Amazon saying "they don't have any scent"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahahahahahaaha
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Took me a sec.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm so glad we're all on the same page.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've seen reports that omicron infects our upper airways more readily than any previous variant, but has a harder time penetrating to vaccinated people's lungs. It's like the difference between bronchitis and pneumonia. At this point, such reports are still in the "wishful thinking" bin because the science is still preliminary...but I hope that pans out.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

By simply removing the scent from their candles, Yankee Candles has actually caused surges in the virus. :shock:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:36 pm I've seen reports that omicron infects our upper airways more readily than any previous variant, but has a harder time penetrating to vaccinated people's lungs. It's like the difference between bronchitis and pneumonia. At this point, such reports are still in the "wishful thinking" bin because the science is still preliminary...but I hope that pans out.
All the reporting I've seen on that so far tracks back to a single study that has yet to be peer-reviewed. If it holds up, it does seem to go some way in explaining why Omicron is more contagious and possibly less severe.

HKUMed finds Omicron SARS-CoV-2 can infect faster and better than Delta in human bronchus but with less severe infection in lung
A study led by researchers from the LKS Faculty of Medicine at The University of Hong Kong (HKUMed) provides the first information on how the novel Variant of Concern (VOC) of SARS-CoV-2, the Omicron SARS-CoV-2 infect human respiratory tract. The researchers found that Omicron SARS-CoV-2 infects and multiplies 70 times faster than the Delta variant and original SARS-CoV-2 in human bronchus, which may explain why Omicron may transmit faster between humans than previous variants. Their study also showed that the Omicron infection in the lung is significantly lower than the original SARS-CoV-2, which may be an indicator of lower disease severity. This research is currently under peer review for publication.
Well that sounds reassuring... But wait, there's more!
‘It is important to note that the severity of disease in humans is not determined only by virus replication but also by the host immune response to the infection, which may lead to dysregulation of the innate immune system, i.e. “cytokine storm”,’ said Dr Chan. ‘It is also noted that, by infecting many more people, a very infectious virus may cause more severe disease and death even though the virus itself may be less pathogenic. Therefore, taken together with our recent studies showing that the Omicron variant can partially escape immunity from vaccines and past infection, the overall threat from Omicron variant is likely to be very significant.’

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove, you didn't choose fun.
A Royal Caribbean cruise ship skipped docking at two island countries this week after 55 passengers and crew tested positive for Covid-19, the cruise line company has said.

The Odyssey of the Seas departed for an 8-day trip on Dec. 18.

While the ship had scheduled ports in Curacao and Aruba, a decision for the ship to avoid those stops "was made together with the islands out of an abundance of caution due to the current trend of Covid-19 cases in the destinations’ communities as well as crew and guests testing positive on board," said a statement from Royal Caribbean.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I just don't get deciding to go on a cruise these days. Cruises in general are giant petri dishes, and to do that in the middle of a pandemic, amidst other people who think that going on a cruise in a pandemic is a good idea...
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

"Hi there!"*cough*cough*"Can we disembark to your island home?"*cough*
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SciTech
Scientists have detected infection by at least three variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 in free-ranging white-tailed deer in six northeast Ohio locations, the research team has reported.

Previous research led by the U.S. Department of Agriculture had shown evidence of antibodies in wild deer. This study, published today (December. 23, 2021) in Nature, details the first report of active COVID-19 infection in white-tailed deer supported by the growth of viral isolates in the lab, indicating researchers had recovered viable samples of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and not only its genetic traces.

Based on genomic sequencing of the samples collected between January and March 2021, researchers determined that variants infecting wild deer matched strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that had been prevalent in Ohio COVID-19 patients at the time. Sample collection occurred before the Delta variant was widespread, and that variant was not detected in these deer. The team is testing more samples to check for new variants as well as older variants, whose continued presence would suggest the virus can set up shop and survive in this species.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

My understanding is that reverse zoonosis is a major concern now that the COVID-19 virus has been detected in animals that didn't previously carry it. It gives the virus a whole new population of hosts and a wide-open field to create new mutations.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:03 pm Image
Not as worried at the moment about deer to child Covid but from a quick scan of the internet the chances of getting Lyme Disease from a deer tick is between 0-50%. May the odds ever be in your favor little Dominic!

(It is a cute pic though)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There's also a rare disease among animals (I think Brainworm?) such as Moose that make them more friendly and approachable by having them take leave of their senses. There's a local video of a Moose that went viral a couple of months ago where a moose with Brainworm barged into a garage where people were having a party, and the Moose didn't seem perturbed at all and in fact kept approaching them as he was pet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moose brain-worms?I must learn more about this.

In not great news, evidence for waning protection against symptoms with the booster against Omicron:
New data from Britain suggests that booster protection against symptomatic Covid caused by the Omicron variant wanes within 10 weeks.

There have not yet been enough severe cases of Omicron to calculate how well boosters protect against severe disease, but experts believe the shots will continue to provide significant protection against hospitalization and death.

“It will be a few weeks before effectiveness against severe disease with Omicron can be estimated,” the new report, from Britain’s Health Security Agency, noted. “However, based on experience with previous variants, this is likely to be substantially higher than the estimates against symptomatic disease.”
Regarding the 4th shot:
In a recent interview on WCBS-AM, a New York radio station, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious disease doctor, said that officials were monitoring the effectiveness of mRNA boosters against Omicron.

“I do think it’s premature, at least on the part of the United States, to be talking about a fourth dose,” he said. Israel is weighing whether to give a fourth shot to its citizens.

Some scientists have warned against a fourth shot, noting that there is not yet evidence that it is necessary and that some immune cells might eventually stop responding to the shots if too many doses are given.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I hope I have the name right. It's something worm related anyway. Yep, here it is:

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/bold ... -1.5633168
"(It) stuck around all night. I left (the shed) at 3 a.m. and he was (there). (It) went to greet my dad at the front door of his house in the morning. He then went to lay down in the field beside the river for the remainder of the day," Rintala said.

Several behaviours exhibited in the video indicate the animal may have been infected with brain worm, which is often fatal.

"A moose infected with brain worm could be this bold and unafraid of people. Moose become infected when they eat snails or slugs infected with brain worm larvae while feeding on vegetation," Kerekes said.
It just made me wonder if Moose are the only ones affected by this when I saw the picture posted here.

And... I've gotten my Booster shot tonight. Originally had an appointment for 2:35 in the afternoon, but there was a long line snaking throughout the parking lot of the small community arena, due to the fact they were mixing walk-ins with appointments. Wasn't going to wait in line in -15C for over 2 hours. And did you know that appointments are valid throughout the day? Because that's what we got told after calling the same number the appointments were made. Well, that's the case for our regional district. Told us we could return later, so at 4:30 we returned, and there was no line at all. While my first two doses were Pfizer, it was explained they were running out of them and that I'd be given Moderna, and specifically a half-dose for my age group while those 70 and older would receive full dose.
Last edited by Rumpy on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:53 pm It just made me wonder if Moose are the only ones affected by this when I saw the picture posted here.
Caused by Parelaphostrongylus tenuis, apparently. I need to read up on this. Thanks!
Brain worm is the term commonly applied to the parasitic nematode (round worm), Parelaphostrongylus tenuis (P. tenuis). White-tailed deer are the normal host for this parasite. Most of the time, they are not affected by the parasite. However, other species such as moose, mule deer, reindeer/caribou, sheep, goats, alpacas, and llamas are abnormal hosts and can develop disease or die if infected.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, white-tailed deer eh? I don't think I was too far off then.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well this seems…. different:
The NFL is battling the latest COVID-19 surge with an understanding that symptomatic individuals are driving transmission within the team environment, chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills said Thursday, with no indications of asymptomatic spread.

That position represents a significant departure from the pandemic-long stance of public health authorities, who have warned about the possibility of individuals spreading the virus without being aware they are infected….

"I think all of our concern about [asymptomatic spread] has been going down based on what we've been seeing throughout the past several months," Sills told ESPN. "We've got our hands full with symptomatic people. Can I tell you tonight that there has never been a case when someone without symptoms passed it on to someone else? No, of course I can't say that. But what I can say to you is that I think it's a very, very tiny fraction of the overall problem, if it exists at all.

"Clearly if you want to look at the overall pattern and concern about transmission, it is not being driven by people who have no idea that they are infected and they are infecting scores of others. This is being driven by people with symptoms and the exposures during that symptomatic period."
So is this backed by any real evidence or is this just the NFL trying to justify reducing their testing and quarantine protocols?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:36 pm So is this backed by any real evidence or is this just the NFL trying to justify reducing their testing and quarantine protocols?
I'm not in a position to argue with an NFL doctor, but I don't think his beliefs are supported by the scientific community, no.

There's also the slight (but important) difference between truly asymptomatic people (that never develop illness but are carrying the virus) vs pre-symptomatic people (that are spreading the virus ahead of visible signs and symptoms).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think you know the answer.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Follow the $$$ (and proximity to the playoffs).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So my brother got notification a couple of days ago that he had been exposed by a co-worker, and then today started developing symptoms. So he will have to stay in Atlanta where he is working out of town, and miss Christmas with all the family. I just hope it goes well with him - he is boosted at least, but breakthrough cases happen.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

So my daughter exposed me last week because her cousin was unvaxxed and passed it to HER. Now I'm off of work for two weeks (paid, thank the flying spaghetti monster, blessed be his noodly appendage). This in spite of the fact that I'm triple-vaxxed.

However, I seem to be through the worst of it, although I have literally NO sense of taste or smell and goodness knows when that's coming back.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!