How is ivermectin dangerous?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

FDA
Even the levels of ivermectin for approved human uses can interact with other medications, like blood-thinners. You can also overdose on ivermectin, which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hypotension (low blood pressure), allergic reactions (itching and hives), dizziness, ataxia (problems with balance), seizures, coma and even death.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Live for ordering now, shipping later this month:

https://www.covidtests.gov
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Out curiosity, is that 4 per household or 4 per person? A family with 5 kids, for example, is going to need more than 4 tests.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:18 pm Out curiosity, is that 4 per household or 4 per person? A family with 5 kids, for example, is going to need more than 4 tests.
4 per address. Yes, big families are out of luck.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:25 pm
Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:18 pm Out curiosity, is that 4 per household or 4 per person? A family with 5 kids, for example, is going to need more than 4 tests.
4 per address. Yes, big families are out of luck.
A family with 2 kids is going to need more than 4 before this school year is over.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Limit of one order per residential address
I went ahead and ordered. We'll see if I need to sign for them. If so, then that's a problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Also your insurance will cover 8 tests per month

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:41 pm How is ivermectin dangerous?
Well, for one thing, It's a drug used to kill parasites. If used on humans, it's used to treat things such as head lice and scabies among other things, and when used on animals, it's used to treat things such as heartworm. It will never target a virus as it was never designed to do so. What's dangerous is giving people false hope through a false treatment method that has already been disproven and cautioned against via multiple sources, to say nothing of the fact that it's not been authorized for use in treating Covid.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I know what it is and I know it's used on humans as a parasite remover. I keep hearing how it's bad for humans and it's not really, at least to my understanding. Too big a dose is, but you can say that about any medicine. I know it doesn't help covid too. These headlines are just sensationalizing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The veterinary preparations are also much higher dosage than the ones intended for human use, so the true believers going the horse-paste route are almost certainly overdosing. It's dangerous in and of itself in those cases.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's used on most all animals.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And I just went to a pet supply place online to get my antibiotics. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It is, and when used properly, it's also an essential human medication. It was a game-changer for treating conditions like river blindness.

That doesn't make it safe to self-medicate with it for off-label use. It's dangerous if you overdose, and it's dangerous if you use it as a placebo instead of taking precautions against getting infected, getting vaccinated or seeking actual medical care if needed.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Performing secret medical experiments on prisoners... who does that remind me of?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:57 pm Live for ordering now, shipping later this month:

Thanks. Ordered.

I'm thinking about asking my mother-in-law (who lives alone) if she'd let me order a set for her, and keep two of them here. To be clear, I'd be upfront about that bit - if she wants all four, she gets all four.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

In case anyone lives in an apartment and is having trouble ordering (check out the other tweets in the thread, too):

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

With regard to having your insurance reimburse you for 8 tests per month, check with your provider before buying 8 tests in one go, because they may state 2 tests per week (assuming you can even find them in an in-network pharmacy).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm I know what it is and I know it's used on humans as a parasite remover. I keep hearing how it's bad for humans and it's not really, at least to my understanding. Too big a dose is, but you can say that about any medicine. I know it doesn't help covid too. These headlines are just sensationalizing.
The prisoner headlines? They were giving them 4x the recommended dose. Even if they were using it for approved treatment, which they weren't, it was without consent and in dangerous amounts. This is a huge deal and the headlines aren't really over stating it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am The prisoner headlines? They were giving them 4x the recommended dose. Even if they were using it for approved treatment, which they weren't, it was without consent and in dangerous amounts. This is a huge deal and the headlines aren't really over stating it.
Yeah, there's normally review boards for this type of stuff (even prisoners) so I guess we'll get more information as this unfolds. Absolutely unacceptable, regardless.

What I don't understand is the testing on prisoners when they could have likely found volunteers from all over that would have willingly taken 2x, 4x or 10x the dose to see if it worked.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:57 pm Live for ordering now, shipping later this month:

So yeah, about that:
Smith said the testing fluid within a kit must remain between a range of 2 C (35.6 F) to 30 C (86 degrees F) (as outlined by Ontario Health), making it logistically impossible to mail them across Ontario during the winter months.

“In the month of December, we had one day in Peterborough when it was warm enough that we could have put them in the mail,” said Smith. “The other 30 days those tests would have been rendered useless. And it would have provided a false sense of security for people because it would have come back as a negative (result), simply because the testing fluid was rendered useless by dropping below the lowest temperature that it can operate at.”
I'm sure it won't be below 35 degrees in January and February in the US when these tests are delivered.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Regarding masks:

Biden admin says it will be distributing 400 million free N95 masks at pharmacies and community health centers, per ⁦@SabrinaSiddiqui
Associated WSJ article:
The nonsurgical N95 masks will start to be available at pharmacies and community health centers late next week and the program will be fully up and running by early February, the White House official said. The masks will be sourced from the Strategic National Stockpile, the nation’s safety net of medical-equipment supplies.

“This is the largest deployment of personal protective equipment in U.S. history,” the official said. “Experts agree that masking is an important tool to control the spread of Covid-19.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:57 am

So yeah, about that:
Smith said the testing fluid within a kit must remain between a range of 2 C (35.6 F) to 30 C (86 degrees F) (as outlined by Ontario Health), making it logistically impossible to mail them across Ontario during the winter months.

“In the month of December, we had one day in Peterborough when it was warm enough that we could have put them in the mail,” said Smith. “The other 30 days those tests would have been rendered useless. And it would have provided a false sense of security for people because it would have come back as a negative (result), simply because the testing fluid was rendered useless by dropping below the lowest temperature that it can operate at.”
I'm sure it won't be below 35 degrees in January and February in the US when these tests are delivered.

That's not good new for me. Mine are supposed to ship at the end of the month and I don't see us having anything anywhere near that temp come the end of January.

I'll be happy to take free masks. Can I assume at 400,000,000 that will be one per customer? Don't forget to post when and where I can find mine.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

But the Strategic National Stockpile belongs to Jared!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe states should bid for resources released from strategic supply. Biden could then treat their release as a means to raise funding for re-election, get business to kick back money in to private interests "held in his trust", and gain leverage for loyalty to his party.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The "Nocebo" effect:
More than two-thirds of the common side-effects people experience after a Covid jab can be attributed to a negative version of the placebo effect rather than the vaccine itself, researchers claim.

Scientists in the US examined data from 12 clinical trials of Covid vaccines and found that the “nocebo effect” accounted for about 76% of all common adverse reactions after the first dose and nearly 52% after the second dose.

The findings suggest that a substantial proportion of milder side-effects, such as headaches, short-term fatigue, and arm pain are not produced by the constituents of the vaccine, but by other factors thought to generate the nocebo response, including anxiety, expectation and misattributing various ailments to having had the jab.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Regarding the free n95 masks:
The White House announced Wednesday that the masks will come from the government's Strategic National Stockpile, which has more than 750 million of the highly protective masks on hand. The masks will be available for pickup at pharmacies and community health centers across the country. They will begin shipping this week for distribution starting late next week, the White House said.
Details were not immediately available on the specifics of the program, including the sort of masks to be provided, whether kid-size ones will be available and whether the masks could be reworn.

The White House said that “to ensure broad access for all Americans, there will be three masks available per person.”
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:06 pm The "Nocebo" effect:
More than two-thirds of the common side-effects people experience after a Covid jab can be attributed to a negative version of the placebo effect rather than the vaccine itself, researchers claim.

Scientists in the US examined data from 12 clinical trials of Covid vaccines and found that the “nocebo effect” accounted for about 76% of all common adverse reactions after the first dose and nearly 52% after the second dose.

The findings suggest that a substantial proportion of milder side-effects, such as headaches, short-term fatigue, and arm pain are not produced by the constituents of the vaccine, but by other factors thought to generate the nocebo response, including anxiety, expectation and misattributing various ailments to having had the jab.
If I can nocebo up a temp of 102, I may just try my hand at being Shaolin Monk.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

And the monk had COVID?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Missed this yesterday. Hey remember all those kids under 5 that are still unable to be vaccinated as we LET IT RIP?

Fauci says FDA could authorize Pfizer's Covid vaccine for kids under 5 in the next month
Hopefully right before the next surge.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:19 pm My daughter (vaxxed but not boosted) had some post nasal drip resulting in coughing designed to clear her throat on Sunday. We tested her Monday morning figuring that would be the worst case and give us some confidence to send her to school. Home test was negative. Today, though, she is absolutely exhausted. Thought she didn't sleep well, but she's still wiped out after school so we're getting a PCR test. No line for the test, but the lab is at 3+ days for results. We have two more rapid tests at home, but don't want to burn those as we can't find any others. Should probably keep her home, but there is no virtual option for her classes. This is not a great situation to be in. Be nice if she really does have it if she came down with some clearer symptoms by morning.
Got the result of the test today. 9 days later we know she was negative. Yay?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:19 pm My daughter (vaxxed but not boosted) had some post nasal drip resulting in coughing designed to clear her throat on Sunday. We tested her Monday morning figuring that would be the worst case and give us some confidence to send her to school. Home test was negative. Today, though, she is absolutely exhausted. Thought she didn't sleep well, but she's still wiped out after school so we're getting a PCR test. No line for the test, but the lab is at 3+ days for results. We have two more rapid tests at home, but don't want to burn those as we can't find any others. Should probably keep her home, but there is no virtual option for her classes. This is not a great situation to be in. Be nice if she really does have it if she came down with some clearer symptoms by morning.
Got the result of the test today. 9 days later we know she was negative. Yay?

Nine days is ludicrous for infectious disease monitoring.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:43 pm Nine days is ludicrous for infectious disease monitoring.
It really is...and after all this time.

Now imagine instead of "daughter" it was "hourly wage worker" and their employer wasn't paying them until the test result came back. Or that they would only be paid to stay at home retroactively if the test came back positive. Or they needed the test to show up to work. I think for my daughter's school, the absences (and work missed ) would be excused after a positive test. If no test or test was negative, then they must make it up or take zeros (and have unexcused absences).

Everything is upside down.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If your policy keeps me out and then tries to punish me for it, someone is getting yelled at.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just signed up for this research study and was accepted. basically for two weeks, you test yourself every other day with two different test kits (one of which you have to send back via FedEx every other day - either drop off yourself or arrange FedEx pickup). at the end of the study if you complete all the surveys and test days, you get a $250 gift card.

read more about it here:

https://covid19testus.org/research-stud ... s-at-home/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

$250 gift card to what?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Last time I did something similar it was a visa gift card, but amazon wouldn't be unusual either.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

almost certainly a Visa one
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Free masks are starting to show up in random locations around the United States - check with your local pharmacy or public health agency to see if they have them in stock.
Some of the first masks arrived in the Midwest on Friday, including at Hy-Vee grocery stores in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Meijer stores in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin.

Masks will also begin arriving at Southeastern Grocers locations as early this Friday, the official added, and will be available at Fresco y Más, Harveys Supermarket and Winn-Dixie in-store pharmacies.

Mills Civic Hy-Vee in West Des Moines, Iowa, received masks Friday, along with nearly 150 other Hy-Vee locations. Photos provided by the store show employees handing out the individually wrapped packages of masks, with flyers positioned nearby for customers to take home.
Elsewhere:
At Meijer locations, the masks will be placed on tables near the store entrances and distributed by greeters. Meijer confirmed to CNN on Monday that it has received "an estimated 3 million masks" that will be made available for no charge to any customer who needs them.

CVS pharmacies are also expected to receive and begin distributing free N95 masks in the coming weeks as supply from the federal government comes in, spokesman Matt Blanchette told CNN in an email Monday.