Whatcha smokin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha smokin'?

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:16 pm Yeah, believe me, your BIL is first and foremost in mind anytime something is amiss in my extremities. The wound on my left leg is scabbed over, but still a bit tender...I had no pain at all until 2 days after it happened, whatever it is. Wife won't tell me how I did it (it looked almost like a burn), claimed to have seen it happen and of course blames delicious, innocent beer.
A friend thinks I injured it on a picnic bench. Sunday, I was at the water park, the scab got knocked off and it started gushing blood. Mind you, the first 4 days, there was no skin penetration...there was no blood prior to this.

Today it seems 90% healed. No incidents at the beach yesterday.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:32 am I find I'm more likely to get the desire to re-watch a favourite film on cannabis and actually follow through with it.
I could see that with some music movies, like Pink Floyd (The Wall, or Live at Pompeii which I think I was stoned when I saw it at a midnight movie way back in the day). And maybe Scarface, but that works better as a drinking game (drink everytime the word "fuck" is uttered). Many other concert videos that bring back such memories would probably work. I saw Crosby, Stills and Nash the night one of my friends told his girlfriend (my coworker, and they were the two people I went to the concert with) that he was getting transferred out of state and oh, well, have a nice life. She was in a depressed tantrum the whole night, and we awkwardly passed joints over her head throughout the concert.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think I've only been this high three or four times. It's probably the first time I'm actually enjoying it. (More of the Super Lemon Haze pre-roll.) I think I feel a bit of nausea and that's not cool, but it may be a coincidence. I've definitely found that I'm craving a little bit more lately. (Cannabis... not nausea.)

Forget what I said about weed not improving stoner-associated bands, Hawkwind's Doremi Fasol Latido is becoming art in front of my ears.

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:55 pm I could see that with some music movies, like Pink Floyd (The Wall, or Live at Pompeii which I think I was stoned when I saw it at a midnight movie way back in the day). And maybe Scarface, but that works better as a drinking game (drink everytime the word "fuck" is uttered). Many other concert videos that bring back such memories would probably work. I saw Crosby, Stills and Nash the night one of my friends told his girlfriend (my coworker, and they were the two people I went to the concert with) that he was getting transferred out of state and oh, well, have a nice life. She was in a depressed tantrum the whole night, and we awkwardly passed joints over her head throughout the concert.
I'm definitely looking forward to trying this during live music. I have missed so much.

I've never been much for music movies. I wonder if that would change if I watched something featuring an artist I've seen live. I could try watching David Byrne's True Stories for the second time, but I suspect that might actually make the experience worse.

I think I'm enjoying re-watching films I already like because the cannabis allows me to focus more on the different elements of the movie and why I like them--rather than just being interested in the novelty and surprise an unwatched film (ideally) provides.

I keep trying flashier, visually interesting stuff... like I'm halfway through Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. But because the story's new to me, I get distracted trying to remember forgotten plot points. The main character will run hurriedly into a room and I'll literally ask myself, "I remember you, Mr. Protagonist--but why are you in this room?? There was obviously an important reason and you'd think I should know it were the writing were any good, unless this is an in medias res sequence and we both know it's not. "

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The dosages seem inconsistent on these 510 vape cartridges. I've read they're prone to clogging, but I carefully probed with a toothpick and didn't find anything/couldn't deduce an oil buildup. Maybe I'm confusing dose changes for building tolerance, but it honestly feels harder to draw and it seems like there's less expelled vapour. I'd started taking deeper pulls to compensate and they were only getting me halfway there, but today I did so again and I'm higher in the atmosphere than Bezos.

I'm almost done the last joint. The effects of smoking do feel more satisfying to me, though it's hard to quantify. But smoking is gross, I almost always irritate my lungs, and it's been hard to gauge dosage (considering I didn't roll these myself). Vaping (oil cartridges) is discreet, I don't have to do it on the balcony, and I don't need a kit. I guess the next step will be to look into dry herb vaporizing as initially suggested, but as I'm low on cash at the moment I might continue experimenting with the full spectrum cart vaping for now.

I still can't really tell if I notice a difference between strains. Sure, my moods can vary a little but it's hard to tell if that's the cannabis. It's not like I smoked one and it put me to sleep, and another made my want to train like Rocky.

Edit: It makes me want to be social though, it's so weird. I'm an introvert by nature, though certainly crave community at times. But cannabis just puts that desire into overdrive.
Last edited by Sudy on Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:32 pm I'm almost done the last joint. The effects of smoking do feel more satisfying to me, though it's hard to quantify. But smoking is gross, I almost always irritate my lungs, and it's been hard to gauge dosage (considering I didn't roll these myself).
I'm glad you gave it a shot, since that's my baseline. I love smoking anything that burns. (By which I mean weed, hash, mellow yellow, opium, and any form of tobacco.)

Before you give up on smoking's satisfaction, try this: Buy a pipe (I strongly recommend stone) and some flower. Joints are for communal party settings. They're not ideal for personal use. You can crumble as little as one or two hits from a bud into a pipe and do that whenever the urge strikes, without producing all the wasted smoke that a burning joint creates. Pipes are pretty low-impact, environmentally speaking, and give you the level of control you want.

Trust me; I'm a professional. 8-)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks Kraken. The insight you and the others have provided has been invaluable. I definitely want to try fresh flower. I'm attracted to this pipe, but they've been out of stock for a while and I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit. It's wood though, not stone. I keep forgetting I can shop for accessories pretty much anywhere online... it's only the cannabis itself that's regulated.

Ale recommended a small bubbler and it seems like that would be cleaner, but I'm also less attracted to the more stoner-looking accessories. At the moment I think I'd feel a bit embarrassed to walk out on the balcony with one. I'd also like to check out a B&M store, but it's a bit intimidating and there aren't a lot in my suburb.

Joint smoking definitely doesn't seem practical solo, no. Even small ones. I wouldn't consider messing with re-lighting "fun", and I'm sure it leads to an unideal experience. Doesn't really help that my ashtray is a mug. And still no luck getting Mrs. Nym interested.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:14 am I'm attracted to this pipe, but they've been out of stock for a while and I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit. It's wood though, not stone. I keep forgetting I can shop for accessories pretty much anywhere online... it's only the cannabis itself that's regulated.
That's a larger bowl than you want for solo smoking. I don't like wood because it's porous and hard to clean. Wood's main advantage is not getting too hot -- but if you're only doing a few hits at a time, heat isn't a big consideration. Meerschaum is a little better; also porous and with good heat characteristics, and it slowly stains in an interesting way that gives it character as it ages. Since you're just experimenting, don't pay the premium for meerschaum. Glass is fragile and gets ugly fast -- glass pipes should be considered disposable.

I favor a small, one-piece stone pipe like this one (shown only for example, not an endorsement). The screen can be removed and cleaned or replaced when it gets crusty, and you only need to clean the bore infrequently. I've been using the same pipe, which looks very much like that one, for...god, 25+ years I think. It's practical, durable, and designed for what you want to do.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I tend to smoke by myself so joints are usually out for me. Too much wasted, though occasionally I will treat myself if the dispensary has a nice looking pre-roll available (they have one that's dipped in hash oil and rolled in kief :shock: )

I agree on wood pipes not being the greatest. I use a glass pipe. It's mostly clear so I can see when it needs a more in depth cleaning other than wiping the bowl out between fillings. Being glass, I can simply soak it in rubbing alcohol overnight and that cleans/loosens the residue up completely that I can finish off with a pipe cleaner. A quick soak and rinse in hot water clears out remains of the alcohol and I'm good to go. I would NOT recommend cleaning something with a porous surface like that.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Times are lean, so no pipe for now. I gave in and got some papers, tips, backup pre-rolled cones, and a cheap plastic grinder. I watched/re-watched a few videos on how to roll properly and gave it a shot. THINGS DID NOT GO WELL. I was very good at diffusing grindings around my desk. I couldn't even get the joint to close. So, I scrapped that paper and have filled a cone for now. I'll try rolling again later, I want to smoke. :lol:

I picked up a gram each of C-Land (AKA Candyland), Outlaw, Black Cherry Punch, and Hindu Kush. I decided to start with the C-Land. It smells divine, like grapefruit. (Even though Leafly says pepper tones should be dominant.)

Edit: The first .5g was a waste... I'm really disappointed. I think I ground it too course. I read some guides, but still found it hard to gauge what I should be doing. The joint would start to burn but almost immediately go out. I don't know if I got a single puff of smoke from the other end. I should have stopped and salvaged the remaining good weed.

So, I went back and packed another cone, much finer this time. It took a while to light, but I got several good drags and still have 2/3rd of the joint left. The 1g pre-rolls I smoked lasted me about six sessions each, so that's about right.

The other option is that the weed itself was bad? It had a packaging date of May. The internet suggests that's reasonable, but fresher is better. I suspect they have trouble moving 1g volumes. I can't tell anything from feel as this is the first time I've handled it. (I thought it would feel more moist, but it definitely had sponginess to it.) The smell was pleasantly intense though, which seems to suggest it was fresh.

Otherwise, I just love the taste... it's the first cannabis product I've actively liked the taste of. I'm a citrus junky, so it makes sense. I still got burning popcorn from the joint, and I'm now assuming that's the paper and/or just the taste of getting a little too much smoke at once. I also got bud in my mouth for the first time... it didn't bother me, but it wouldn't have been nice at the end of the joint. Despite my trying the cheapest-available pre-rolls last time around, their robo-formed joints seemed flawless.

Vaping carts still seems much more cost effective. But maybe I'll change my tune once I actually get good at rolling or acquire a pipe.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:54 pm Times are lean, so no pipe for now.
:) IDK what a gram costs, but instead of buying 3g get yourself a basic pipe and 1g of the flavor you like. Thank me later. You only need to buy the pipe once and should be able to find one for $20-ish. Cannabis smoke is delicious and this is the best way to taste it.

Rolling joints takes skill and experience, and the weed needs to be near-powder to burn reliably, but not too powdery to draw well. Joints are convenient but not good for solo smoking and are a dead end for you. But I think you've figured that out.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

1g ranges from about $7.5-11 CAD, so $6-8.5 USD. Buying at 3.5g gets you about a 5% discount. About 20x the inventory at that quantity, and some strains not available at 1g range as high as $20.

Yeah, this was just for the experience. I'd have picked up a cheap stone pipe instead of this rolling kit if they'd had one, but I really don't want an ugly looking pipe. It may be bit snobby/silly, but I'd feel trashy using a bit of neon green silicone. I have to source the pipe from somewhere other than the provincial site if I want stone... I've just been lazy.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:05 am I favor a small, one-piece stone pipe like this one (shown only for example, not an endorsement).
This looks similar? (Canadian retailer.) Though the ad doesn't say anything about screens. It looks suspiciously... inexpensive.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:05 am I favor a small, one-piece stone pipe like this one (shown only for example, not an endorsement).
This looks similar? (Canadian retailer.) Though the ad doesn't say anything about screens. It looks suspiciously... inexpensive.
That looks fine. You will need some screens. I'd go with a coarse or medium mesh, since you aren't smoking powder. The finer the mesh, the quicker it will foul. (Screens eventually get crusty and can be cleaned and reused a few times.)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I went over the top and got this bad boy:

With a bubbler AND a removable glycerine coil you keep in the freezer. I only smoke maybe once a month, but when I do...I hate coughing. I checked the site (Dope Boo) and these are sold out, but they have similar models.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Those are the things I keep seeing advertised for $400+. :lol:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sudy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:42 pm Those are the things I keep seeing advertised for $400+. :lol:
I think I got it on sale for like $279. I've gotten to the point where if I want something I go top shelf or not at all.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:04 pm
Sudy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:42 pm Those are the things I keep seeing advertised for $400+. :lol:
I think I got it on sale for like $279. I've gotten to the point where if I want something I go top shelf or not at all.
I would break that just looking at it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sure it's entertaining to watch it shatter.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The pipe people aren't returning my email. I need to know which size screens (diameter) to get, and I'm hoping they can send a cheap mailer... I don't want to pay $11 to ship a $6 pipe.

I asked Mrs. Nym to bring me back a muffin from the kitchen. I noticed how heavy it felt, and commented that it could seriously injure a child or small human if thrown. This is the point at which Mrs. Nym asked me to stop talking to her. I told her I would only stop if she agreed never to throw muffins at children. I asked her how she couldn't agree; even someone evil like Hitler would agree. If Hitler asked her if she agreed that muffins shouldn't be thrown at little people, she'd have no choice but to say yes. Though then her enemies on the political right would be able to claim, "You agreed with Hitler!" This is the point at which Mrs. Nym murdered me.

Edit: I popped the first distillate cartridge back in (i.e. the non live resin one) and I think I may indeed be able to discern a difference. It hits extremely hard but really doesn't have much in the way of nuance. Then again, it may just be the amount I took. I've been taking really strong drags thinking the cartridges were clogged, when I think I just needed to charge the battery. I've been heavily inebriated for a few hours now, yet I was able to research, mod, and play Fallout without much difficulty. Then again, I'm not experiencing the most extreme effects, so maybe it really is a difference in how the "Trainwreck" distillate hits me. (I.e. to say, what's supposedly pure THC that doesn't have original terpenes).

I found a Discord server of mostly younger people, primarily women. They've made me feel welcome, but it's evident I'm not a member of the core demographic. I've stuck around because being challenged culturally is a good thing and they have a lot of cannabis knowledge to share, but sometimes it feels uncomfortably like a "How do you do, fellow kids?" scenario.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I got the stone pipe; it's about half the size I was expecting lol. But I understand now why this size is much better for a personal session. Unfortunately, I still seem to be doing something wrong, or this first gram just isn't cooperating. Admittedly, I used the leftover bits, some of which I'd tried to smoke during the previous disastrous joint sessions. I know that makes for a poor smoke, but the vast majority was still green. I ground it down even further before packing it, but I couldn't get the bowl to hold a light for more than a second, and couldn't get any smoke through it at all. Poking it with a toothpick didn't seem to help, nor did going the opposite route and packing it down really tight. I must have tried to light it ten times with my Clipper, and another ten times with my Bic... I had to alternate since they started overheating.

I'll watch more tutorials before I try again. I must be missing something important for it to be going this poorly. Though I'm also curious to try different flower, maybe the freshest of the three varieties remaining.

Since I already have the rolling supplies, I also picked up a rolling machine to try.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Don't pack it. Crumble a little bit of flower loosely into the bowl -- think small chunks rather than crumbs -- and light those little lumps each time you want to take a hit. Don't try to ignite the whole bowl or keep it lit between hits; that's just wasteful. In fact, I cover my bowl with my matchbook to put it out after each hit. A few crumbles of flower last me all evening taking one hit at a time, and I can precisely control how high I want to be. Although I'll admit to taking some hits just for the flavor and pleasure of smoking. Weed is truly delicious.

Your pipe should be around 3" long, btw. Anything much bigger is a party pipe, and if it's much smaller...well, that's what you get for six loonies. :lol:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

You might be packing it too tight. It doesn't really need any grinding or packing. Just press some bits of bud into the bowl lightly. You aren't looking to keep it lit, either. Draw the flame past the bud while you're inhaling (this is where bubblers show their benefit). Really, for solo, all you need to load it with is enough for one hit each time and burn it all up.
Last edited by Alefroth on Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

BAM! :lol:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:01 amBAM! :lol:
Mind stones like athink.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

If there’s an extra hole anywhere, plug it.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:53 am Your pipe should be around 3" long, btw. Anything much bigger is a party pipe, and if it's much smaller...well, that's what you get for six loonies. :lol:
Um... it's almost 2.5" and possibly came out of a box of Cracker Jack. Perhaps they're metric inches? The site just said "medium". The small must be for ants. :lol:

RuperT wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:41 am If there’s an extra hole anywhere, plug it.
No, there's no carb hole. I guess they don't make drill bits that small. :lol:

Joking aside, I think the bowl size is probably fine. After learning to light joints before taking a drag, I assumed I was supposed to be doing the same thing with a pipe. If I'm supposed to be doing both at once, I'll try that; though the one legitimate size issue is that my fingertips might get torched. I looked at getting some wick but I convinced myself it would be an unnecessary added step.

Anyway, thank you all as always for the advice. I'll give these things a try. Some tutorials I read/watched definitely suggested very coarse chunks of flower for a pipe, yet others seemed to recommend a fine grind, it's confusing. However breathing in bits was definitely a problem even though I used the screen the shop recommended, so I know I definitely went too fine. It was also a little hard to position the screen however, so it's possible I wasn't getting full coverage of the hole.

Blackhawk and Drazzil et al. are here maintaining threads about improving their lives. The best I can muster is, "Sudy Develops Questionable Habit and Tries to Get Less Horrible at Cannabis".

Edit: I tried the roller, and I think it went pretty well! I mean, at least I was able to smoke what fell out of it, which is an improvement over recent events. I'm trying the Black Cherry Punch. (Also smells wonderful, but can't quite put my finger on it yet.) This joint still didn't light nor hold a burn nearly as well as the pre-rolls either, but after re-lighting it I smoked about a quarter, and after ashing all I saw was... ash. Which is good. I kind of felt like a zoologist inspecting an animal's droppings.

I see people talking about taking 20 minutes to smoke a joint. So far, for me (considering I'm smoking solo), I'll take 4-8 drags (depending on how well it's burning) over a couple minutes and then put it out, not wanting to waste more than I have to. Is this too hasty? On the other hand, you (Kraken) and others I've read online mention putting out your pipe right away. So it this more a difference in how quickly the much coarser pipe bud burns on its own, or are these 20-minute joint smokers wasting half their weed as incense?

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

More or less, yes. A joint is a pretty wasteful (yet celebratory) way of smoking weed between friends.

And individual will incense away a good deal of a joint.

Have you considered a ‘one hitter’ (generally can hit it two or three times) ? I believe they are also called a Bat.

Stone pipes are pretty good.

Keep your bowl loosely packed.
Before you pack your bowl, gently draw from your empty pipe to learn if you have a clog. And then, before you light it, try again to see that you didn’t pack it so tightly that you can’t draw air.

(These test draws will taste awful so make them real light and just ‘proof of concept’)

If your buds are really dense and sticky and moist, you may need to pinch a bit off a bud and then sorta ‘pull it apart’ or loosen it from being so dense. The key is you want channels for air to pass through.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:23 am Have you considered a ‘one hitter’ (generally can hit it two or three times) ? I believe they are also called a Bat.
I've definitely looked at them, and am interested in trying one. I just seem to be collecting a lot of accessories for someone who doesn't think they want to smoke long term. :lol: But I'm enjoying these experiences.

Amusingly, this Raw "scoop card" may be the best $0.88 I've spent on cannabis so far. When it arrived I laughed... it's literally just a piece of folded, laminated cardstock. But it's fantastic for, among other things, transferring grindings from the grinder to the joint paper/rolling machine and better than I could have fashioned from what's lying around. I didn't expect playing with little pieces of sticky plant matter would be so messy.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:45 am I see people talking about taking 20 minutes to smoke a joint. So far, for me (considering I'm smoking solo), I'll take 4-8 drags (depending on how well it's burning) over a couple minutes and then put it out, not wanting to waste more than I have to. Is this too hasty? On the other hand, you (Kraken) and others I've read online mention putting out your pipe right away. So it this more a difference in how quickly the much coarser pipe bud burns on its own, or are these 20-minute joint smokers wasting half their weed as incense?
Unagi's advice is all good. Joints are for sharing, and wasteful to smoke alone. I roll leaf into a joint and smoke the whole thing in one sitting, but leaf is far less potent than flower. You'll only ever have any if you grow your own, so no reason to go into the ins and outs of that.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I noticed the superintendent is growing some on her patio that can only be seen from the balconies above. (Growing a few plants for personal use is legal here, but it still amused me.) The concept is intriguing to me, but I suspect I'd be too lazy, not to mention we don't have room/an ideal space.

So here's a question... I've had intermittent mild-to-moderate nausea the past couple weeks, and it seems to be getting worse. (And I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant.) Do you think cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome is a thing? From what I'm reading it's very rare in those who have used less than a year, and is a relatively new condition that may be related to the maximization of cannabinoids in modern breeding. I am partaking most days, but not a lot, and not at a much greater volume than I have been for the past couple of months. But again, the condition seems to be cumulative.

I'm going to be pissed if my body dislikes cannabis in the same way it doesn't care for alcohol. I'm running out of classic vices to cultivate.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

No idea about that. Cannabis is usually considered a mild anti-nausea drug.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

These are really pricey, but they sure are sweet looking pipes.

https://everlastmetalpipes.com/collecti ... ssy-finish
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I finally worked up the guts to try to stone pipe again. It worked! Well, a little bit. It didn't stay lit (which is probably desirable), but then I couldn't get the lower portion to light at all. There was nearly a schnoz-scorching incident. Using the joint rolling machine has become too convenient (relatively), even if I'm re-lighting them over multiple sessions.

I'm glad to report that the serious nausea has subsided. I have no idea what was up with that, but I'm being treated for the possibility of gastritis or an ulcer.

For a birthday treat, I ordered a pre-roll of Broken Coast's Gabriola (AKA Frost Monster). They seem to be a very popular high-quality B.C. grower, but they don't sell flower in small quanities. As well as an eighth of Quebec's MTL Cannabis's Sage n Sour, which Reddit constantly raves about. I considered getting something even a little more expensive for the special occasion, but I realized I possibly wouldn't be able to tell the difference and should save that for later.

As for the four strains I ordered a gram each of, I still had trouble telling a difference between them. I feel like I had a lot of fun on Outlaw, but it may have just been that I smoked more at one time than usual.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:44 pm I finally worked up the guts to try to stone pipe again. It worked! Well, a little bit. It didn't stay lit (which is probably desirable), but then I couldn't get the lower portion to light at all.
As you burn off the outer layers of your buds, they need an occasional stir to expose the fresh part within. The bowl is played when you just have ash left.

I'm glad you're enjoying smoking, regardless of which method you prefer. Smoking is why we evolved lungs.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Oh, right! I forgot about that part. :doh: :lol:

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I don't smoke or drink these days but as someone who has smoked a great deal, weed, wax, cartridges. Lemme give you guys a little bit of my views on this.

Your weed high will be completely different from your wax high, which will be different from your cartridge high.

The reason for this is as follows:

Combusting and smoking weed gives you the whole spectrum of chemicals in the plant. Wax gives you most of the spectrum of chemicals and cartridge gives you very very little.

THC cartridges are just that. Even the good cartridges (Buddies, Oregrown etc) are mostly THC with a few terpines thrown in after the fact. In fact the chemical process that turns weed to concentrate actually removes all of the other chemicals that make weed fun. Its mostly THC.

Cartridges are good for getting stupid Stupid STUPID high but little else. Its lost most of what makes weed, weed. You wont get hungry or happy or feel most of the spectrum of how weed is supposed to feel. Cartridges are also good for building your tolerance extremely quickly. Your one cartridge a week will change to 3 or 5 quickly as your body will quickly acclimate to the drug.

I cant speak much to vaporizers. I had a volcano but quickly found I much preferred my water bong.

YMMV.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:44 pm For a birthday treat, I ordered a pre-roll of Broken Coast's Gabriola (AKA Frost Monster). They seem to be a very popular high-quality B.C. grower, but they don't sell flower in small quanities. As well as an eighth of Quebec's MTL Cannabis's Sage n Sour, which Reddit constantly raves about. I considered getting something even a little more expensive for the special occasion, but I realized I possibly wouldn't be able to tell the difference and should save that for later.

As for the four strains I ordered a gram each of, I still had trouble telling a difference between them. I feel like I had a lot of fun on Outlaw, but it may have just been that I smoked more at one time than usual.
As an English teacher, I am deeply concerned about whether you should use italics or quotation marks for varieties of weed.

If we treat them like other commercial brands, they should be capitalized as proper names (e.g. Frost Monster) but not otherwise italicized or quote-marked.

Obviously I'm stressed about this. I wish there were something I could do to relax.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I suggest foot massage.

I share your concern. I enjoy English but I don't do it professionally. I worry about my grammar quite a bit, but the reality is that I often just click the Submit button and move on. I smoke 'n' post fairly often since acquiring the habit, but I can usually get it right if I force myself to proofread a couple times. And of course, I don't write anything important while under the influence without reviewing it once I'm sober.

Few people italicize titles on forums, Discord, Reddit, etc. I do it inconsistently... I find it makes things easier to read, especially when mentioning multiple titles in the same post or if I suspect the reader is less familiar with the genre in question. I think I started doing it with cannabis strains since I often precede them with the manufacturer name, and as many strains and manufacturers are regional, it can be hard to know where one ends and the other begins.

I think the problem with quotation marks is no one knows when to use them anymore. Outside of actual quotations, that is. I need to brush up myself. People on television kept making jokes about quotation mark misuse suggesting they can only denote something is "suspicious", and now everyone's afraid to use them. Of course, there are many egregious uses on signs etc. to be found on Reddit and in those never-ending clickbait articles. I flip-flop between properly punctuating before/inside of quotations. I used to do what's "right", but have begun doing what makes sense to me. I will die before I quit using the Oxford comma, on the other hand.

I'll leave it up to you, Kraken, et al. to decide whether title italicization is even relevant anymore. In the internet age (I don't capitalize internet, suck it) we have hotlinks and hover text. Having a baseline of rules has obviously never faded from importance, but communication (never mind language) is evolving more rapidly than never before. "Old man yells at cloud" aside, I wonder if we'll be the last generation to use formal language in all/most modes of communication. (E.g. I just began dropping the period from my single-sentence text messages.)

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:32 pm I'll leave it up for you, Kraken, et al. to decide whether title italicization is even relevant at all anymore. In the internet age (I don't capitalize internet, suck it) we have hotlinks and hover text. Having a baseline of rules has obviously never faded from importance, but communication (never mind language) is evolving more rapidly than never before. "Old man yells at cloud" aside, I wonder if we'll be the last generation to use formal language in all/most modes of communication. (E.g. I just began dropping the period from single-sentence text messages.)
Every publication has its own style. One of my clients uses quote marks for book titles and italics for publications. Another does the opposite. Today I edited a story about a professor who wrote a book with the same title as the class he teaches; the book took quotes and the class didn't. The actual style rules are secondary to the goal of ensuring consistency, since editors are the only people who actually follow them. My life would be a lot easier if everybody would just agree to use AP Style, which is the closest thing to a single standard, but even then some use the Chicago Manual, and a few insist on Reuters just to be snobs.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:10 pm THC cartridges are just that. Even the good cartridges (Buddies, Oregrown etc) are mostly THC with a few terpines thrown in after the fact. In fact the chemical process that turns weed to concentrate actually removes all of the other chemicals that make weed fun. Its mostly THC.

Cartridges are good for getting stupid Stupid STUPID high but little else. Its lost most of what makes weed, weed. You wont get hungry or happy or feel most of the spectrum of how weed is supposed to feel. Cartridges are also good for building your tolerance extremely quickly. Your one cartridge a week will change to 3 or 5 quickly as your body will quickly acclimate to the drug.

I cant speak much to vaporizers. I had a volcano but quickly found I much preferred my water bong.

YMMV.
Thanks Drazzil, I think I'm the only new user around here and I welcome your input. The others have already set me straight on most of this. I like vaping cartridges, but I only use live resin ones. I've heard pretty good things about some so-called full spectrum ones as well.

Personally, I found the live resin cart to have a lot of nuance, but I still find smoking to provide more. The main benefit of carts for me is that they can be used discreetly and within the home. I haven't gotten to the point where I've overused them, but that's just me. Maybe I would have by now if I didn't have access to dry flower/joints.