Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by Kurth »

Anyone arguing that policies or actual records of accomplishment (or lack there of) are important at this point has lost the thread entirely.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, at least we don't have to worry about years of red states keeping democrats off of the ballot in retaliation.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:13 pm Well, at least we don't have to worry about years of red states keeping democrats off of the ballot in retaliation.
Hah. Doesn't mean they won't try anyway.

On the one hand, I think this is a pragmatic decision and will reduce legal wrangling in the future.

On the other hand, if this clown didn't violate the 14th with his actions, what would? Might as well remove that clause, because acting against the country's best interests to support foreign power interests is no longer a deal breaker.

We need a zombie McCarthy to let us know what he thinks of his country now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:18 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:13 pm Well, at least we don't have to worry about years of red states keeping democrats off of the ballot in retaliation.
Hah. Doesn't mean they won't try anyway.

On the one hand, I think this is a pragmatic decision and will reduce legal wrangling in the future.

On the other hand, if this clown didn't violate the 14th with his actions, what would? Might as well remove that clause, because acting against the country's best interests to support foreign power interests is no longer a deal breaker.

We need a zombie McCarthy to let us know what he thinks of his country now.
They didn't say he didn't violate the 14th, they said states couldn't use section 3 for Federal offices.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One thing of note is that it has been eight weeks since Trump filed his appeal in this case. By contrast in the Trump criminal immunity case it will be 10 weeks between the filing of the appeal and the oral arguments, with an unknown date for the decision to be released.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Funny how some things can be more expedited than others.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:07 pm Funny how some things can be more expedited than others.
To be fair to the SCOTUS, the timing in the Colorado case was driven in part by the state - apparently Colorado needed to know by tomorrow for ballot printing reasons. Still...illustrates that the Court can move fast on complicated and important decisions when it wants to.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also people are completely overlooking Nikki Haley's decisive win in the D.C. GOP primary. Haley-mentum, here we come!!!
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She's currently sitting at 43 to Trump's 244. I unfortunately don't see any stopping the orange buffoon from being hoisted on the arms of his sycophants and placed on his golden toilet throne for 2024.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:07 pm She's currently sitting at 43 to Trump's 244. I unfortunately don't see any stopping the orange buffoon from being hoisted on the arms of his sycophants and placed on his golden toilet throne for 2024.
All she needs to do is to make D.C. count for like 20 times what the states count for, and then she'll be made in the shade.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I guess people are now looking back fondly on the good old days when there was a scandal every fucking day of the week.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:15 pm I guess people are now looking back fondly on the good old days when there was a scandal every fucking day of the week.
I know if he's elected that he's going to do his best to kill democracy, but weeks like this make me question whether or not democracy is viable in this day and age. We can argue whether or not Trump voters are good people, but the last 25 years have proven that you can make many people believe anything you want if you repeat it enough.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gbasden wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:25 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:15 pm I guess people are now looking back fondly on the good old days when there was a scandal every fucking day of the week.
I know if he's elected that he's going to do his best to kill democracy, but weeks like this make me question whether or not democracy is viable in this day and age. We can argue whether or not Trump voters are good people, but the last 25 years have proven that you can make many people believe anything you want if you repeat it enough.
And say that a recent study has shown...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:25 pm
I'm with you on this, although I'd go back further than 25 years. Democracy is fragile and can lead to some terrible results. I mean, Hitler did that whole Third Reich thing, and he didn't even have the Internet, social networks, or AI. Imagine what he could do today . . .

I just don't know what to do with a democracy where nearly half the people - hopefully not a little more than half the people - are going to vote for someone who has proven he would gleefully chuck their democracy in the garbage bin if he thought it was in his own best interests.

Maybe I'm just extra down on democracy today having watched democracy in action at that recent Maricopa County Board of Commissioners meeting.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

JFC.
stessier

Post by stessier »

In fairness, it's pretty easy to make a similar vid for Biden. The dudes are old.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:15 am In fairness, it's pretty easy to make a similar vid for Biden. The dudes are old.
Yeah, but Biden gets lots of crap for being too old, while Trump mostly doesn't. It's not that Biden shouldn't get criticized for being too old, it's that Trump should also.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:39 am
stessier wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:15 am In fairness, it's pretty easy to make a similar vid for Biden. The dudes are old.
Yeah, but Biden gets lots of crap for being too old, while Trump mostly doesn't. It's not that Biden shouldn't get criticized for being too old, it's that Trump should also.
I've seen a fair amount of "Trump is too old" talk, but I'm also in SC and Hayley was the one running a lot of those ads, so ymmv.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Schedenfreude. Listening to Joe Kernan spin the WSJ line and GOP talking points, trying to lambaste Biden while talking to Pete Buttigieg and getting beat down and frustrated when Pete lambastes his every advancement of itinerary without actually lambasting him. It was a thing of beauty to hear. Joe was still flustered and confused after the commercial break.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:39 am
Yeah, he gets some sort of bizarre BS for being coherent, strong, virulent, and alpha; getting stuff done, meaning what he says except for when you know he didn't mean it...

Tried listening, but he still triggers me 3 years later. 10 seconds in and I just can't... It's like I'm a millennial in the early aughts or a Gen Z now. I'm must be moving to my boomerhood.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump’s plan is to surround himself with loyalists and be unrestrained in his use/abuse of power. An even more unhinged Trump would be worse than Biden, who has a team and successor in place.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

By loyalists, you mean incompetent grifter yes men.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

They can be anything, as long as they are loyal.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
MCQueen2

Post by MCQueen2 »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:00 pm They can be anything, as long as they are loyal.
Well they need to be old and not have independent thinking skills...
Holman

Post by Holman »

Good news!

NYT is reporting that Kyrsten Sinema is bowing out of the Arizona senate race, clearing the way for a two-way contest between Ruben Gallego and MAGA nutjob Kari Lake.

Head-to-head polling puts Gallego nicely ahead of Lake.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:57 pm Good news!

NYT is reporting that Kyrsten Sinema is bowing out of the Arizona senate race, clearing the way for a two-way contest between Ruben Gallego and MAGA nutjob Kari Lake.

I’m going to enjoy hearing Lake whine about losing again. Still can’t believe anyone would vote for her or candidates like Hershel Walker. She’s such a bad candidate.

Gallego or Lake. It’s an easy choice if you look honestly at both candidates but nobody ever does anymore.
Last edited by waitingtoconnect on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will not miss her.
Black Lives Matter.
waitingtoconnect

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:12 pm

I will not miss her.
Yes the focus of some democrats in Weimar America to look out for themselves is disgusting.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I will not miss her.
Meh...she already completed her obligations to the Russians.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

MCQueen2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:49 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:00 pm They can be anything, as long as they are loyal.
Nope, just loyalty.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Funny that we don't have a Super Tuesday election thread...but when the outcome of the primaries is preordained, it really doesn't merit one.

The Boston Globe reported today that 15,000 Democrats left the party in MA since the first of the year. Presumably a good deal of them intend to vote in the Republican primary (as I did). "The vast majority — 13,042 in total — chose to become unenrolled voters, while 2,276 jumped to the GOP ... An additional 5,000 voters who were previously unenrolled joined the Democratic Party since Jan. 1, according to state data. Fewer than 300 made the jump from being Republicans to Democrats."
Unenrolled voters now account for 64 percent of the state’s 4.95 million registered voters, a rise from last year when Massachusetts already had the highest share of unaffiliated voters of any state.

That means membership in both parties is waning, even if Democrats still dominate at the ballot box. Just 27 percent of Massachusetts voters are now registered as Democrats, and just 8.4 percent are Republicans. All told, independent voters outnumber Republicans more than 7-to-1 and Democrats more than 2-to-1 in the state.
The upshot is that Haley has a reasonably good chance of defeating trump in MA, or at least making a strong showing.

There's also a movement on the D side to choose No Preference over Biden as a protest vote. I haven't seen any predicted numbers for that.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 pm

I will not miss her.
Meh...she already completed her obligations to the Russians.
What I really don't understand is how her strategy of alienating every Arizona voter didn't work out for her.
Black Lives Matter.
waitingtoconnect

Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:25 pm
MCQueen2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:49 pm
Nope, just loyalty.

The rusted on loyalty is insane.

The attitude here is insane.

I’m not voting for Trump in the primary because he is an unhinged lunatic but in a general election match up between Biden and trump I’m voting for trump!

What’s happened to critical thinking. Does everyone live with this cognitive dissonance now?
Victoria Raverna

At this point, I think Biden is the only Democrat that can lose to Trump. He seriously need to step aside and endorse a younger and better candidate if he really want to save US from Trump.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:53 pm At this point, I think Biden is the only Democrat that can lose to Trump. He seriously need to step aside and endorse a younger and better candidate if he really want to save US from Trump.
You've said similar so many times - do you not understand American politics at all? What you suggest is not an option.

And to entertain the absurd - there is no way AOC beats Trump.
Victoria Raverna

It is an option if Biden want to. He can withdraw and endorse someone else. But he is probably too selfish to do that.