Hardspace Shipbreaker

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Hardspace Shipbreaker

Post by coopasonic »

Dammit now you guys have me playing this game which appears to have no actual like point or story. It is kind of interesting. I think taking away the time limit and oxygen needs is pretty counter to the whole point. It's really easy to stay ahead of the debt when you can do 6 days work every day. :P They should increase the daily debt burden based on how long you stay out there when you turn off the time limit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I ran into a confusing depressurization scenario. It was a ship with a cockpit out on a long extension, where the cockpit and the first part of the tunnel formed one airlock and the remainder of the tunnel towards the hull formed a second airlock. Even with all the air regulators disabled, depressurizing one airlock would pressurize the other. I finally resorted to trying to make a small splitsaw cut in the tunnel and ended up blowing the entire cockpit off the ship :roll:. I'm assuming there is a better way...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:46 pm I ran into a confusing depressurization scenario. It was a ship with a cockpit out on a long extension, where the cockpit and the first part of the tunnel formed one airlock and the remainder of the tunnel towards the hull formed a second airlock. Even with all the air regulators disabled, depressurizing one airlock would pressurize the other. I finally resorted to trying to make a small splitsaw cut in the tunnel and ended up blowing the entire cockpit off the ship :roll:. I'm assuming there is a better way...
Pop the glass. You lose the glass, but it should decompress safely. You MAY want to tether the air regulator lest it fly off out of bounds, and be ready with grapple to nab things flying by.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:36 pm Dammit now you guys have me playing this game which appears to have no actual like point or story. It is kind of interesting. I think taking away the time limit and oxygen needs is pretty counter to the whole point. It's really easy to stay ahead of the debt when you can do 6 days work every day. :P They should increase the daily debt burden based on how long you stay out there when you turn off the time limit.
True, true, they turned down the difficulty to release the game. Ranks 21-30 seves almost no real purpose now other than bragging rights, and Hazard level stops at 9, with ghost ships barely making a "boo" appearance. Really want them to release some extra difficulty levels, like A-F, in a future patch, but it seems they're just taking a break and only bug fixing now.

There is a purpose: make enough money to pay off your debt, but (spoiler) so that sorta goes off the table.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I am debt free and on my way to somewhere new!

I finished Career mode today. Fun game. I liked the conclusion to the story but thought it was a little heavy handed early on. Really wish more of the dialogue had been reserved for when you are shipbreaking as opposed to sitting in your hub though. A pet peeve of mine is when a game makes you stop playing the game in order to hear the story.

Still, 8.0/10 would recommend.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Try RACE mode (compete for time vs salvage amount taking apart a "set" ship) when you feel like it. It's sorta leader board multiplayer. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I decided to give this a go. They really don't tell you how to do much of anything, do they? I just killed myself twice in the tutorial trying to figure out how to remove a fuel tank. I'm sure someone here could tell me, or I could look it up online, but it shouldn't be necessary. And I have no idea at all how to remove objects from walls, and keep getting penalized for putting barge items into the processor.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:13 pm I decided to give this a go. They really don't tell you how to do much of anything, do they? I just killed myself twice in the tutorial trying to figure out how to remove a fuel tank. I'm sure someone here could tell me, or I could look it up online, but it shouldn't be necessary. And I have no idea at all how to remove objects from walls, and keep getting penalized for putting barge items into the processor.
For the fuel tanks, look for the lights on the pipes around them. If they're lit up, they're full of fuel and dangerous to cut into. They should lead to a fuel flush lever. If you activate that lever, the fuel will flush, the lights will turn off, and you will be able to safely cut out the tank.

Removing objects from walls depends on what you're trying to remove. If you're trying to remove like an air conditioner type thing, you just use your grabbing tool and yank it off. If you mean something inside the wall, it depends on what you're trying to get. If it's something fancier, there might be yellow and black joints around it that you need to disintegrate with your laser prior to being able to yank it out.

And don't worry about getting penalized for putting things in the wrong chamber. The better you sort things, the better off you'll be, but it's normal to have some extraneous inappropriate bits that find their way in when you're putting something in what's generally the right chamber.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The more I play, the less I feel like this is a good game for me. It seems like there are two modes: Super rush stress timer mode, and zero-challenge mode, with nothing in between. Neither option is really all that appealing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

> how to remove a fuel tank.

> how to remove objects from walls

Generally, you just keep tugging on it with your grapple. If it comes loose by itself, you should probably drop it into the barge.

If you have to cut it loose, it *probably* goes into the processor. If you have to cut it APART, it probably goes into the furnace.

But your HUD should identify which way the material goes, just above the O2 bar in the middle. Green for barge, blue for processor, red for furnace.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:07 pm The more I play, the less I feel like this is a good game for me. It seems like there are two modes: Super rush stress timer mode, and zero-challenge mode, with nothing in between. Neither option is really all that appealing.
The standard regular mode is the middle ground. You have a 15 minute shift to accomplish whatever you accomplish, but who cares if you don't finish? Just wrap up when you're nearing the end of the shift, then start a new shift on the same ship. Repeat until you're happy with how much you've salvaged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's the rush mode I was referring to (there are only two options - normal (short time limit per day) and open (zero limits.) I want to take my time, but I also don't want zero challenge.

I really wish they'd put in more than one difficulty and 'story mode.'
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had the same concerns about the timer, but that fifteen minute timer felt quite sufficient after a while. And as wonderpug said, you can just go back to the same ship the next shift. Once you get practiced on what you are doing, and more importantly come to recognize how the ships are constructed, you'll zip into them pretty quickly. I put in 47 hours in the game but it wasn't till I reached about ten hours in before I decided I liked it.

Oh, and a suggestion, don't go trying more complex ships until you feel ready. I did that a couple of times because I wanted a challenge, but then realized my ambition exceeded my abilities.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Love this game!