Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by Isgrimnur »

raydude wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 pm If you are both online, you can watch your opponents moves in something close to real time. Otherwise, you can read the recap after the fact.
Zenn7 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 pm Hope the real game lets me cancel moves
You can cancel any action until you move to the next phase.
Isgrimnur, I see your invite and have accepted. I assume you are then starting two games? Looks like there are 3 slots left, so perhaps Zenn7 and El Guapo can join your game?
I believe that's where two other invites went.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:24 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 pm If you are both online, you can watch your opponents moves in something close to real time. Otherwise, you can read the recap after the fact.
Isgrimnur, I see your invite and have accepted. I assume you are then starting two games? Looks like there are 3 slots left, so perhaps Zenn7 and El Guapo can join your game?
Hey Zenn, you might want to save your single player game then check the main screen for invite. Also, I sent you and El Guapo steam friend invites.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

raydude wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:24 pm
Hey Zenn, you might want to save your single player game then check the main screen for invite. Also, I sent you and El Guapo steam friend invites.
I'd been periodically checking the forum in-between, saw the game invite. Accepted it, you now have the Russians to kick around (assuming you do at least as well as the AI did against me - though the Allies pulled me out of the fire for a victory).

Accepted your friend invite as well.

Guap - you gotta be US or Great Britain, and we need a 5th to round out our alliance.

Also Guap - I regret to inform you that I did not see a blimp unit in the game. Guess you'll just have to pretend one of your fighters or bombers is a blimp. :p
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Oh, and thanks Isg for getting us all into this and getting the first games organized.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No problem. I’ll give both games until the end of my workday tomorrow for our last slot, and then see what happens if I start the game without it filled.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm in.

Though the invitation indicated that I could pick a side or stay on the sidelines, and I did not see a "sidelines" option when I joined the game.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

You would want to be on the sidelines as a mere spectator after all this effort to get into the game? What's wrong with you man?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm just saying that it's false advertising.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Typical marketing bullshit.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry, I had to work late and forgot to check last night. I accepted the invites and it looks like both games started (dbt and Zenn are up!). I'm Colonel Day - which is cool in the game I'm America and amusing where I'm the Brits.

Now to complete the tutorials to figure out how to move. :)

I did mention I've always stunk at this game, right? I apologize to the Allies in advance.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm playing a Single Player game as the Axis. I'm confused - when I initiate battle, I go to the battle board and do all the rolling. When the Allies initiate battle, it is all resolved without my intervention. Am I missing something?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:03 am I'm playing a Single Player game as the Axis. I'm confused - when I initiate battle, I go to the battle board and do all the rolling. When the Allies initiate battle, it is all resolved without my intervention. Am I missing something?
No, it's set to be played with auto resolution of defender casualties. By default, it removes lowest IPC cost units first. You can change the order but at least in the 2nd game Isg set up (the one I'm in), we are using the default order.

Being the game is intended to be played online/multiplayer (least I assume that's why it has "ONLINE" in the title), makes some sense they would do it the same in single player to keep the experience consistent. And that's the only way to do MP w/o having everyone be online the whole time.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm a little confused about ending my turn. I guess as soon as I finish all the phases it goes automatically to the next person?
What's "follow" and "unfollow"?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:11 am I'm a little confused about ending my turn. I guess as soon as I finish all the phases it goes automatically to the next person?
Follow centers the map on the other players moves and you watch their combats (you have no control on how defender casualties are allocated, but you can watch the round by round battle/rolls/casualties being assigned). Unfollow undoes that and center's focus back on your nation. You will not see combats any more.

Given that we are not likely to be playing this in virtually real time, guessing you wouldn't likely want to sit around and wait for each player to take their turn.
EDIT: for instance, having taken my first turn as Russia in game 2, I do not anticipate the game getting back to me to take turn 2 until this evening when everyone else gets home/out of work to take their turns (some can during the day, but not likely all of us). This is part of the reason why we would have time for more than 1 game at a time.

For game 2, Russia has made their opening move. Take that you Nazi scum!

And Steisser, I never claimed to be any good at the game, just that I liked it. In my solo game last night, I played Russia and would have lost if not for the AI playing Britain/USA and often helping defend/reclaim Russia territories and ultimately winning the war (I think I came out 2 territories ahead of where I started).
So the pressure's on Great Britain to show us how it's done! :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:00 am
stessier wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:03 am I'm playing a Single Player game as the Axis. I'm confused - when I initiate battle, I go to the battle board and do all the rolling. When the Allies initiate battle, it is all resolved without my intervention. Am I missing something?
No, it's set to be played with auto resolution of defender casualties. By default, it removes lowest IPC cost units first. You can change the order but at least in the 2nd game Isg set up (the one I'm in), we are using the default order.

Being the game is intended to be played online/multiplayer (least I assume that's why it has "ONLINE" in the title), makes some sense they would do it the same in single player to keep the experience consistent. And that's the only way to do MP w/o having everyone be online the whole time.
I can see the online portion having to use the auto resolve, but in a Single Player game, I'm sitting right there. :) Occasionally I could see wanting to sacrifice a higher IPC unit to maintain a ground force, but I guess I can let it pass since this is early access.

I got a notice that I'm on the clock as Britain. I'm at work and won't get to submit the turn until tonight. Sorry. I'm off work for 2 weeks starting Saturday and will be much more responsive.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:11 am I'm a little confused about ending my turn. I guess as soon as I finish all the phases it goes automatically to the next person?
I think once you finish placing your new purchases it automatically advances to the next player. I got a note that it was my turn. Germany has started Operation Barbarossa.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Lassr wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 am
I think once you finish placing your new purchases it automatically advances to the next player. I got a note that it was my turn. Germany has started Operation Barbarossa.
In an alternate universe Germany will start Operation Barbarossa after lunch. Also - no need to worry about me. I played the heck out of A&A back in high school but haven't played since. So I'm still stuck with high school strategies.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

raydude wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:53 am

In an alternate universe Germany will start Operation Barbarossa after lunch. Also - no need to worry about me. I played the heck out of A&A back in high school but haven't played since. So I'm still stuck with high school strategies.
Which I bet are pretty different since the map has changed and some of the unit attributes have changed. That's at least what I feel I'm up against.

I've played quite a bit since high school but it's always in games where I can use the same map / rules from that edition.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, I haven't played since college years, 1985-1990(against real people, not counting all the computer versions which were too easy)
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Redfive wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 am

Which I bet are pretty different since the map has changed and some of the unit attributes have changed. That's at least what I feel I'm up against.

I've played quite a bit since high school but it's always in games where I can use the same map / rules from that edition.
Yep, I never played with artillery, DDs or CAs and some of the rules have changed that are throwing me off.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Are there research / tech rolls in this?
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:14 am Are there research / tech rolls in this?
I never saw any.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:14 am Are there research / tech rolls in this?
Doesn't look like it.
Lassr wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:07 am Yep, I never played with artillery, DDs or CAs and some of the rules have changed that are throwing me off.
Those are new for me as well. Also, AA guns have different rules than I remember.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They were removed in the 1942 update.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Axis and Allies Blitz had destroyers but I don't remember artillery.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did anyone get left out on the new games I set up?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:23 am
Doesn't look like it.
Lassr wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:07 am Yep, I never played with artillery, DDs or CAs and some of the rules have changed that are throwing me off.
Those are new for me as well. Also, AA guns have different rules than I remember.
Research rolls were kind of stupid / worthless in the original A&A, anyway.

AA guns fire once before combat just as before. But they don't get one shot at every plane anymore; instead, they roll a number of times equal to the lesser of: (1) the number of planes in combat; (2) three times the number of AA guns. So if there are two planes in combat, you roll two dice (and hit on any ones); if there are four planes and one AA gun, you roll three times. And the attacker (plane owner) gets to allocate any hits.
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Alternate universe Germany conducted a surprise attack before lunch! Losses were heavy but we have captured Leningrad and the oil rich fields of the Caucasus.
stessier

Post by stessier »

We need a way to refer to the different games. Maybe by who is Russia?

In dbt's game, the fates were extraordinarily unkind - or perhaps our training was lacking - as our southern fleet attacked and failed to score a since meaningful hit before being completely routed. A transport managed to escape, but they are pretty sure they heard the Japanese laughing at them via semaphore. Our home fleet had more success ganging up on the German navy. Our planes were able to sink a destroyer and transport off the coast of Finland while our main fleet found and destroyed a lone submarine in the shipping lanes of the mid-Atlantic. The people of London seem wary but committed.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:50 pm We need a way to refer to the different games. Maybe by who is Russia?

In dbt's game, the fates were extraordinarily unkind - or perhaps our training was lacking - as our southern fleet attacked and failed to score a since meaningful hit before being completely routed. A transport managed to escape, but they are pretty sure they heard the Japanese laughing at them via semaphore. Our home fleet had more success ganging up on the German navy. Our planes were able to sink a destroyer and transport off the coast of Finland while our main fleet found and destroyed a lone submarine in the shipping lanes of the mid-Atlantic. The people of London seem wary but committed.
Think the distinction is DBT Russia is the real world, Zenn7 Russia is an alternate world?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In an alternate world... the traitorous Nazi have left Belorussia and Poland undefended. Though it is likely a trap to destroy one of our remaining precious armor divisions, we could not ignore it.

We were also able to recapture our manufacturing facilities, we hope to have greater flexibility in our deployment options in the future.

What luck, logged on just alternate (zenn7 Russia) game USA player was finishing their turn and got mine in right away!

Only had Russia, wanted to buy 7 infantry and 2 artillery but can't buy more than the 8 units I can deploy - not sure if the German player may have overcommitted based on what they left undefended, but it was a little frustrating if nothing else, so it wasn't a complete waste for them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

[Zenn-Raydude-El Guapo-Isgrimnur-Col Bud Day]

The might of the Japanese empire carried the day, bringing the Rising Sun to the coast of Asia! The intransigent Americans were sent a warning through the brave sacrifice of our sailors and airmen that we will not permit their interference with the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote:
our main fleet found and destroyed a lone submarine in the shipping lanes of the mid-Atlantic.
Sigh. That sub was supposed to have moved to gibraltor with the other sub... Apparently the commander did not get the order and was going to be sacked for incompetence. Oh well enjoy your watery grave.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Wow, that SZ 53 battle sounds rough / amazing for the side of freedom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, D-Day was moved up to 1942. We can't sit around all day waiting for the Americans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

As Russia and out numbered all I can do is gather my strength. May attack next turn.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:46 pm As Russia and out numbered all I can do is gather my strength. May attack next turn.
Trade space for time.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Alternate Germany took it all back. Well, most of it anyway.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

You got everything I took this turn anyway. Now I'm waiting to see what my amazing allies do! :pray:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Germany caught the dbt Ruskies large army napping in the Caucasus, as Germany takes the industrial region with very few casualties.
The campaign in North Afrika was a painful success as casualties mounted but victory was secured.
A close eye is being kept on the French coastline for any threats, they may get a brief foothold but they will be pushed back into the sea in due time if they attempt a landing.

Black Lives Matter