Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: Playstation 5

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:30 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 am Amazon did a drop today for Prime members and I finally got one!
Where does one get notified of such things?
I was using @ps5stockupdates.

@mattswider is good, too, since he also tracks XBox Series X, but I got an update from the first @ much more quickly.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I laugh at 2020 me that said I'll just wait until next year when they are easier to get. :lol: Hell at this rate it might be hard to find even next year. I so hate the last two years.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It looks like there's a PlayStation Direct queue opening in just under 90 minutes.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 pm Image
I entered the queue and got a popup about 10 minutes later that said (paraphrasing) "If you haven't received an e-mail directly from Sony, you will be unable to purchase a PS5 today"
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Bummer. The tweets definitely led me to believe it would be open to everyone.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dunno, because, after it let me to the head of the queue, both are out of stock.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:36 pm Dunno, because, after it let me to the head of the queue, both are out of stock.
Yeah, when the queue opens and it says "more than an hour" you lost.

The "good news" is there is still no really good reason to have a PS5.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:46 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:36 pm Dunno, because, after it let me to the head of the queue, both are out of stock.

Umm, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Demon's Souls? Just to name a few, nevermind it makes most Ps4 games run better and definitely load faster.
FTE
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

That's just incorrect. :P Like Scraper said, the PS5-only exclusives are pretty darned good.

Deathloop looks AMAZING on a PS5 with a 4K TV playing on the couch. Yes, you can play it on PC, but it has such a nice cinematic quality.

Also the FFXVII remake is now upgraded for PS5, as is No Man's Sky (a great game for couch TV play).

That said, I am happy they didn't just jump to making all the big hits purely on PS5 and abandon the PS4, particularly since it has been so hard to get.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm really enjoying playing Horizon Zero Dawn at 4K/60fps.

Death Stranding Director's Cut with PS5 enhancments is dropping soon too.

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps5-g ... provements
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:39 pm

Umm, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Demon's Souls? Just to name a few, nevermind it makes most Ps4 games run better and definitely load faster.
Apparently you can add Kena to that list as it's getting great reviews everywhere. It also sounds like it's right up my ally.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think people underestimate how big of a deal the faster load times are. On my Xbox Series S the games load almost instantly. It's bonkers and has a way bigger impact than you would think.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Octavious wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:23 pm I think people underestimate how big of a deal the faster load times are. On my Xbox Series S the games load almost instantly. It's bonkers and has a way bigger impact than you would think.
I agree, I've recently been playing through Tales of Berseria on the PS5 and the game never has a load screen. NEVER. We're talking about a game that isn't even optimized for the PS5. The game's reported play length is 60 hours, but I'm in the final chapter with just 26 hours play time. I wonder how much time I've saved just because of no loading.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The PS5 has made The Witcher 3 load times bearable.
JCC

Post by JCC »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 pm Deathloop looks AMAZING on a PS5 with a 4K TV playing on the couch. Yes, you can play it on PC, but it has such a nice cinematic quality.
Ahem! My PC is in my Living Room connected to an OLED and surround sound! So no lacking in cinematic quality here! (Of course I did spend 5x more than the cost of a PS5... and I have mixed feelings about Deathloop... forget I said anything! :lol:
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Just got an invite to purchase one of these newfangled PS5s tomorrow. I’m having fun reading up on accessories but trying not to get too excited in case I get beaten out by some nerds using multiple devices or some such nonsense.

I’m most excited to be able to play the upcoming Horizon Zero Dawn sequel in 4K and I hear that The Witcher 3 Is being rereleased in the Spring for the PS5 and since I own the Ultimate Edition or whatever it’s called I should be getting a free upgrade. After watching The Witcher on Netflix I’ve wanted to replay the game so yea! (assuming I’m able to buy one).
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
naednek

Post by naednek »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:39 pm Just got an invite to purchase one of these newfangled PS5s tomorrow. I’m having fun reading up on accessories but trying not to get too excited in case I get beaten out by some nerds using multiple devices or some such nonsense.

I’m most excited to be able to play the upcoming Horizon Zero Dawn sequel in 4K and I hear that The Witcher 3 Is being rereleased in the Spring for the PS5 and since I own the Ultimate Edition or whatever it’s called I should be getting a free upgrade. After watching The Witcher on Netflix I’ve wanted to replay the game so yea! (assuming I’m able to buy one).
If you got the invite from Sony, you shouldn't have any problems. They control it by a queue, so expect to wait a little once they open up the site. You can have your CC ready on your profile ahead of time so its just a matter of clicking the buttons.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

naednek wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:39 pm Just got an invite to purchase one of these newfangled PS5s tomorrow. I’m having fun reading up on accessories but trying not to get too excited in case I get beaten out by some nerds using multiple devices or some such nonsense.

If you got the invite from Sony, you shouldn't have any problems. They control it by a queue, so expect to wait a little once they open up the site. You can have your CC ready on your profile ahead of time so its just a matter of clicking the buttons.
Excellent… :dance:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
naednek

Post by naednek »

$iljanus wrote:

If it was me I'd focus just on PS5 and but games separate

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

naednek wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:58 pm
$iljanus wrote:

If it was me I'd focus just on PS5 and but games separate

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I have a bunch of PS4 games that have a free upgrade to a PS5 version which really saves me some cash…which is going to be spent on an inevitable SSD add on to give me more space. And a couple of them I haven’t finished yet like Metro Exodus or Ghost Recon Breakpoint so looking forward to seeing all the shiny pretty graphics and fast load times on those games.
Black lives matter!

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

If you really want to see what the system can do (and play a great game on top of it) pick up Ratchet and Clank.
FTE
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scraper wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:58 am If you really want to see what the system can do (and play a great game on top of it) pick up Ratchet and Clank.
Thanks! I've read some reviews and I think it would be a good game for the family. Spiderman Miles Morales is another game I'm looking forward to.
Black lives matter!

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:41 am
Scraper wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:58 am If you really want to see what the system can do (and play a great game on top of it) pick up Ratchet and Clank.
Thanks! I've read some reviews and I think it would be a good game for the family. Spiderman Miles Morales is another game I'm looking forward to.
Miles Morales is a great game. If you enjoyed Spiderman then Morales is more of the same but as you would imagine with a new character and new story. One thing that can get overlooked is the option to enable Ray Tracing on certain PS5 games. Make sure you do that for Morales and other games with the option.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Some more details about the next PSVR have been released, including haptic feedback for your skull.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04 ... ng-on-ps5/
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:16 pm Some more details about the next PSVR have been released, including haptic feedback for your skull.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04 ... ng-on-ps5/
Wow I don’t know if I want one but the tech is pretty cool. I wonder though how many PlayStation versions until you can jack into your skull? :think:
Black lives matter!

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm guessing the PS6 =)

The haptic feedback and adaptive triggers on the Dual Sense are impressive, but I don't think they are quite as paradigm shifting as they were made out to be. I guess a big part of that is up to the developers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hepatic skull feedback might not be so cool in a Madden game if it simulates a concussion causing hit…
Black lives matter!

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:37 pm
eSpores are much more advanced than a simple brain slot.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Well the purchase process was anticlimactic which is exactly what you want when purchasing a PS5!
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One feels envy!

On the VR, haptics are already pretty well established, although I do wish they didn't have the 'gamer look.' It's bad enough I'm standing in front of my family waving my arms like an idiot, now I get to do it wearing superhero cosplay? The headset haptics... I'm skeptical of the value.

On the other hand, eye tracking is one of the big innovations to expect in the next generation of VR, so I'm glad to see they'll have that. The other big innovation (whenever it actually happens) is finger tracking. It exists now as a sort of gimmick in the Quest 2, but it's still early enough that it isn't fully ready for regular gaming yet.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:59 pm eSpores are much more advanced than a simple brain slot.
Too bad that 8% of the population is allergic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:42 am Ya I signed up ages ago for that.
You might want to check on that. I signed up 23 days ago.

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:19 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:42 am Ya I signed up ages ago for that.
You might want to check on that. I signed up 23 days ago.

Enlarge Image
Is that from Playstation Direct? I registered there in late January, and got a confirmation that they received my submission with the following instructions:
skinypupy, thank you for registering for an opportunity to purchase a PlayStation 5 console.

If you are selected, you will receive an email with the date, time and instructions for an opportunity to purchase a PlayStation 5 console directly from PlayStation.
Not a single email from them since. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya playstation direct is what I signed up for and I haven't heard anything since. I just don't have the energy to chase after buying something. Especially this far out from when it released. It's nuts...

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just checked. I signed up October 21st 2021. Seriously whatever. :P

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:48 pm I'll let you know what I think in 2022. ;)
Look at you, Mr. Optimistic! :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I swear I signed up for playstation direct, but it is telling me I did not. Maybe it cancelled when I logged into my PS5 the first time, like a year ago. :P

I signed up again, just out of curiosity. I guess I could get another and sell it to one of you if it comes through.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter