R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Jeff V »

As Betty White can now attest, the #1 cause of death by old age is too many birthdays.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:01 pm Sure, but over here, if you're infected and you've been travelling, they'll tell you to self-isolate in your hotel room.
Everyone is shocked by his sudden death, you don’t think someone would mention how sick he was feeling???
I honestly don’t know how you think it’s even possibly COVID.
I’m not trying to argue so much as I’m incredulous to what would make you think it. (Other than the pandemic, of course)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:21 am
Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:01 pm Sure, but over here, if you're infected and you've been travelling, they'll tell you to self-isolate in your hotel room.
Everyone is shocked by his sudden death, you don’t think someone would mention how sick he was feeling???
I’m not trying to argue so much as I’m incredulous to what would make you think it. (Other than the pandemic, of course)
How about, because it's completely plausible? Dude's been travelling doing shows, not only possibly exposing himself to others, but exposing others to him. At this point, if he had any complications, he likely wouldn't have known he wasn't fine. I've heard so many stories of people who said they've felt fine through Covid and then weren't. That's why I'm not discounting it. As for no mention of how sick he could have been feeling, that's possibly a detail kept under wraps until they're reveal the cause of death.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well , I take it all back (a little) - just in that I’ve read he had a positive diagnosis about a week ago. And I would think that those around him would not have held back telling people (if) he was getting worse and staying in his hotel room.

I just don’t see him ignoring it, and dying in a hotel room.

Or rather , I would put the odds at 1000 :1
Where all the other options seem more like 10:1 odds…

To be clear though, you may end up being right, it wouldn’t be the first time ‘someone in the news’ does something that makes zero sense to me.

Perhaps COVID has gone septicemic, and one can can be fine at breakfast but dead by lunch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:45 pm Well , I take it all back (a little) - just in that I’ve read he had a positive diagnosis about a week ago. And I would think that those around him would not have held back telling people (if) he was getting worse and staying in his hotel room.
Maybe, maybe not. But usually if they're details related to causes of death, they'd be told to not say anything until an investigation could be made. We have no details, at the moment, just conjecture.
I just don’t see him ignoring it, and dying in a hotel room.
No, you misunderstand me. Not saying he'd be ignoring it. For all we know he was fully in contact, if that is indeed the case. But if you're told to self-isolate in a hotel room, which would likely happen anyway via travelling, at least which is the case here, then you wouldn't be going anywhere for the next several hours or days.

To be clear though, you may end up being right, it wouldn’t be the first time ‘someone in the news’ does something that makes zero sense to me.

Perhaps COVID has gone septicemic, and one can can be fine at breakfast but dead by lunch
There is still so much we don't know of Covid, and the fact that this variant is more contagious than the last is why I'm not discounting it. Add in complications, and you could have a recipe for a sudden death.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

He literally had a full show the night before and was texting his daughter about how excited he was for it. He was also on social media, talking to other celebrities, etc. No indication at all that he was feeling unwell.

The last news update I saw is that they are looking at a "major event" such as heart attack or stroke as a cause of death.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:23 pm
How about, because it's completely plausible? Dude's been travelling doing shows, not only possibly exposing himself to others, but exposing others to him. At this point, if he had any complications, he likely wouldn't have known he wasn't fine. I've heard so many stories of people who said they've felt fine through Covid and then weren't. That's why I'm not discounting it. As for no mention of how sick he could have been feeling, that's possibly a detail kept under wraps until they're reveal the cause of death.
No one is discounting the fact that he could catch it, just that he'd die suddenly and alone from it,
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:23 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:23 pm
No one is discounting the fact that he could catch it, just that he'd die suddenly and alone from it,
Stranger things have happened... And not saying he would have died alone from it. Complications would have surely added to it.

This is coming from someone whose Province has gone back to reduced capacity with vaccine passports to enter some locations.
Last edited by Rumpy on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gilraen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:53 pm He literally had a full show the night before and was texting his daughter about how excited he was for it. He was also on social media, talking to other celebrities, etc. No indication at all that he was feeling unwell.

The last news update I saw is that they are looking at a "major event" such as heart attack or stroke as a cause of death.
Aneurysms are the ones that scare me. They seem to come without any warning.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:12 pm
gilraen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:53 pm He literally had a full show the night before and was texting his daughter about how excited he was for it. He was also on social media, talking to other celebrities, etc. No indication at all that he was feeling unwell.

Aneurysms are the ones that scare me. They seem to come without any warning.
Archer?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I am also afraid of alligators. :think:
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:14 pm I am also afraid of alligators. :think:
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:23 pmNo one is discounting the fact that he could catch it, just that he'd die suddenly from it,
Yeah, it's that for me. Not many stories going around about how COVID drops you cold like a bolt of lightning from the sky. It usually progresses, breathing problems, probably hospital, ventilator, intensive care, etc etc. Usually. I can certainly buy the "pre-existing conditions" PLUS COVID being a factor though, for sure.

That or hotwife sex revving his heart too much. Sadly, I am not joking, as I knew someone that went that way. (PSA: Pain meds and little blue pills don't mix, people!!!)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

R.I.P. Mean Gene

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/ww ... 40343.html

Loved watching him give interviews back in the day.
Definitely an icon in wrestling.
Last edited by stimpy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

RIP, Mean Gene. Your interviews were great.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I could have sworn he died a couple years back.

Loved his commentary work. He was THE voice of wrestling to me in the 80s.

76? I also thought he was older. Wow.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

That's really weird. Several articles and even wikipedia (not that it's THAT reliable...) have him dying on Jan. 2, 2019.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Editor's note: Eugene "Mean Gene" Okerlund died in 2019. This story is being inadvertently recirculated on other platforms as if it just occurred.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:39 pm Image
T'was just a scratch.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hyena wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:33 pm That's really weird. Several articles and even wikipedia (not that it's THAT reliable...) have him dying on Jan. 2, 2019.
Given that the comments by celebrities quoted in this article are also from 2019, as are all the tributes, as is the IMDB date of death... yeah. This was an oops.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dammit, scooped by research time again!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well, I forgot. Now I'm sad twice.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ron Goulart, prolific SF and pulp author, passed away at age 89.

I read a ton of his Doc Savage and Flash Gordon books.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Holman

Post by Holman »

Google "Betty White" and watch what happens...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:46 pm Google "Betty White" and watch what happens...
awww thats nice.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yvette Mimieux just died. She was 80. Quite a babe in her day.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For me she would have been Dr. Kate McCrae in The Black Hole - one of the most terrifying movies from my childhood. Thanks Disney!

The Time Machine is a classic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 pm Yvette Mimieux just died. She was 80. Quite a babe in her day.
Yes she was. I remember her more from The Time Machine. RIP
For me she would have been Dr. Kate McCrae in The Black Hole - one of the most terrifying movies from my childhood. Thanks Disney!
I fell asleep during that movie! It was at a overnight lock in at the YMCA. It was the midnight movie. But I was like 14 and should have been wide awake. And I loved sci fi movies. But that movie was not fun to me and I passed out. Woke up during the next one.

Now days I know The Black Hole as a classic and from the clips Ive seen it looks fun. I basically know the movie as many parts as Ive seen but never have watched it through.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:45 pm For me she would have been Dr. Kate McCrae in The Black Hole - one of the most terrifying movies from my childhood. Thanks Disney!

The Time Machine is a classic.
Jesus, talk about a tonally confused movie. You had a cute robot who thought he was Festus from Gunsmoke in one scene, then lobotomized humans in the next. Pick a goddamn lane, Disney.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I remember loving The Black Hole as a kid, but I haven't seen it in ages. I pointed out to the fam that it's available on Disney+, but apparently no one is interested in watching Dad's old fart sci fi movies.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 pm I remember loving The Black Hole as a kid, but I haven't seen it in ages. I pointed out to the fam that it's available on Disney+, but apparently no one is interested in watching Dad's old fart sci fi movies.
How about a Teleparty viewing of forumers?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can only imagine that movie with a buzz. Thinking of that movie makes me want to watch Silent Running again. But that one is pretty sad.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:27 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 pm I remember loving The Black Hole as a kid, but I haven't seen it in ages. I pointed out to the fam that it's available on Disney+, but apparently no one is interested in watching Dad's old fart sci fi movies.
How about a Teleparty viewing of forumers?
I'm a bad person to plan around for something like that. Generally speaking, my time to sit down and actually watch anything starts around 10:00 PM Central time. That said, if others give it a go I can make a stab at attending, but I don't want to be the lynch pin.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Bat back to hell: Meatloaf dead at 74. Meat Loaf, 'Bat Out of Hell' rock superstar, dies at 74
https://wr.al/1MI6J

He was a huge influence, but I never really got into the whole “paradise by the dashboard light.”

RIP
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Two out of three ain't bad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Can't say I was ever a fan of Meat Loaf's music, but I did enjoy his occasional movie and TV appearances. Seemed like a nice guy.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

His name was Robert Paulson.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I liked his music. RIP :(

Black Lives Matter

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I was a kid when Bat out of Hell came out. I remember liking (and still do) Two Out of Three Ain't Bad, but what else was on that album to make it such a monster hit? Paradise by the Dashboard Lights didn't seem like radio material, so what was pushing it?
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Louie Anderson also dies. Only 68.

Louie Anderson, Emmy-winning comedian, dies at 68
https://wr.al/1MIBh

He didn't have a wide range, but he was good in his niche. RIP
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx