R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:47 pm RIP.

But that headline....
Miss USA 2019 Cheslie Kryst Dies at 30: 'Her Impact Will Live On,' Says Family
She jumped from 60 floor building and they use the word impact in their blurb.
:doh:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Those of us who are olde have to wonder, what was so bad in her life that she had to end it all?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mental illness is a hell of a thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:31 am Mental illness is a hell of a thing.
Yep, my neighbor and very good friends had a fantastic job, great family, was always laughing and happy (on the outside) but the mental demons told him to end it all. I have a very hard time understanding that type of anguish but it exists.

and WKRP a show I never missed when I was younger. Loved that show and Hessman was fantastic. RIP
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:26 am Those of us who are olde have to wonder, what was so bad in her life that she had to end it all?
It's not about how good their lives look from the outside, but how bad their brain is telling them it is and being unable to change that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Or it could have been a stalker that shoved her over. Doubtful but never know.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blues News link

RIP Lo Wang

Who want some Wang? RIP dude....made the game so funny. i should get back to that latest version....maybe even one day finish the original game.
A post on Facebook announces the passing of John William Galt, actor and voice artist (thanks Lee). John's IMDb Page shows he voiced video game characters in games like Deus Ex, Daikatana, and Prey. He's best known as the voice of protagonist Lo Wang in the first three Shadow Warrior games. Here's a post from his son, Geoff Galt, a voice artist in his own right:

My Dad passed away last night. He stopped breathing in the middle of routine care, in his own bed, surrounded by family. He was taken to a Farmers Branch hospital, where emergency medical personnel did everything they could. It was pretty clear Dad was ready to go. He's off on a new adventure.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Legendary metal record label founder Jon Zazula passes away at 69.. You may not recognize the name, but I can almost guarantee you know the music.
Known as “Jonny Z,” Zazula was the more freewheeling half of the company’s founding duo, known for his raucous laughter and, sometimes, his temper. Along with Metallica (whose first two albums the label released), Anthrax, Testament, former Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley, Ministry, King’s X, Overkill and Raven were among the biggest acts affiliated with the company
He gave lots of the early metal bands a shot when no one else would. His impact on the genre is immense.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That link isn't working for me. I'm guessing he was with Megaforce.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 pm Blues News link

RIP Lo Wang

Who want some Wang? RIP dude....made the game so funny. i should get back to that latest version....maybe even one day finish the original game.
A post on Facebook announces the passing of John William Galt, actor and voice artist (thanks Lee). John's IMDb Page shows he voiced video game characters in games like Deus Ex, Daikatana, and Prey. He's best known as the voice of protagonist Lo Wang in the first three Shadow Warrior games. Here's a post from his son, Geoff Galt, a voice artist in his own right:

My Dad passed away last night. He stopped breathing in the middle of routine care, in his own bed, surrounded by family. He was taken to a Farmers Branch hospital, where emergency medical personnel did everything they could. It was pretty clear Dad was ready to go. He's off on a new adventure.
I guess we now know who is John Galt. RIP.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:24 pm That link isn't working for me. I'm guessing he was with Megaforce.
Weird, works for me.

Yeah, he co-founded Mgaforce Records.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

John C. Koss, Stereo Headphone Innovator, Is Dead at 91
John C. Koss, a trumpet player and onetime teenage bandleader who with a friend invented stereo headphones and provided people with a new high-quality — and personal — way to listen to music, died on Dec. 21 in Milwaukee. He was 91.
John C. Koss at the Consumer Electronics Show in New York in 1969. He helped invent a portable phonograph with a newfangled set of stereo headphones. The phonograph didn’t go anywhere, but the headphones were a huge hit.
Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Douglas Trumbull (1942-2022)
Science fiction cinema would not be what it is today without the work of Douglas Trumbull. Trumbull helped drive effects on films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, each time changing the field in ways that would resonate for decades. After an incredible life and career, Trumbull lost a two year battle with cancer this week and passed away at the age of 79.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, not Trumbull. Truly one of the greats. :(
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Never assume a special effects artist is truly dead.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stan Winston, Ray Harryhausen and Doug Trumbull were the holy triumvirate of film for me.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Brain bleed from hitting his head caused Bob Saget's death.

https://deadline.com/2022/02/bob-saget- ... 234930272/
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, kind of refreshing to hear it was due to a bump to the head rather than drugs or alcohol.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:38 pm Yeah, kind of refreshing to hear it was due to a bump to the head rather than drugs or alcohol.
or even Covid... :ninja:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Err yes, even Covid. I thought I'd save myself from the embarrassment given the noise I caused earlier :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People
Per the report, the beloved Full House actor had posterior scalp abrasions, subgaleal hemorrhage (which is blood that forms between skull and scalp), discoloration in the upper and lower eyelids due to skull fracture, subdural hematoma (which is a buildup of blood on the surface of the brain) and subarachnoid hemorrhage (which is bleeding in the space that surrounds the brain).

Saget was also COVID-19 positive at the time of his death, according to the autopsy.

Though Saget did not have any illicit drugs or toxins in his system, the report stated that he was taking the prescription drug clonazepam, which treats seizures, panic disorder, and anxiety.
Dr. Roshini Raj, an Associate Professor of Medicine at NYU Langone Health, told PEOPLE, "This report shows that the [skull and] brain suffered trauma which led to skull fractures, bruising of the brain and actual bleeding in the space around the brain. This blood can compress the brain and cause death. The coroner determined that this trauma was most likely caused by an accidental fall backward."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You'd think such a violent fall would need treatment. Maybe he was addled by it and wasn't thinking straight.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

As someone who fell backwards off my son's bunk bed and had internal bleeding in the brain, no, you aren't thinking straight. I am very glad my wife woke up and realized that I was acting oddly and figured out what had happened, because I wasn't in any state to get myself treatment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shame he was alone on tour with no one close enough to him to notice the difference.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From the last tweet he sent out at like 2AM, he was probably in his room to call it a night after a long evening on stage.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 pm Blues News link

RIP Lo Wang

Libertarians all over the world cried out in pain.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Diakatana? I was doing reviews for Computer Games Magazine and a review copy of that game appeared on my doorstep unsolicited. My editor claimed I was marked for death, but otherwise I was under no obligation to play the thing. I gave it away to a coworker I did not like.
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Ivan Reitman, director/producer of some of your favorite comedies of the last 40 years, has died. Damnit.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Know the name and saw a LOT of his movies but never really knew who he was. RIP. Man Stripes...brings back memories.

I find it a bit scary that these people dying at 74 or so is just 20 years older than me or so...ugh. Its why lately I do stuff I want to do if I can instead of waiting. You never know how long ya got at this age...or any age really.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A piece of filmmaking history has left us. :(
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:44 am Ivan Reitman, director/producer of some of your favorite comedies of the last 40 years, has died. Damnit.
Wow, didn't see that one coming. At least his son Jason is following in the legacy.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

P. J. O'Rourke
The journalist and political satirist P. J. O’Rourke, who died today, had a knack for making serious subjects funny. In 11 years of writing for The Atlantic, he covered bleakness—Enron, war memorials—with skepticism and a dash of absurdity. (Explaining his wariness of lawmakers, he wrote: “A chilling characteristic of politicians is that they’re not in it for the money.”)

Over his career, he was the editor in chief of National Lampoon, the foreign-affairs desk chief for Rolling Stone, and a research fellow at the Cato Institute. He was also, notably, a conservative libertarian committed to dissension and intellectual honesty, who was often at odds with other Republicans. Yet for all his grumpy criticism, real warmth and humanity shone through O’Rourke’s writing. He poked fun at himself right along with everyone else; he reminded us that it’s possible to care deeply without taking ourselves so seriously.

The sense of fun that O’Rourke championed feels rarer now. Even his own writing took on a harsher edge over the years. But that might be all the more reason to return to his work, some of which feels particularly prescient. In 2004, he wrote about listening to Rush Limbaugh in his car and wondering about the purpose of shouting into an abyss of like-minded listeners: “When was the last time a conservative talk show changed a mind?” In an oeuvre full of sardonic wit, it was an earnest moment, showing us that his appeals to open-mindedness weren’t jokes at all.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Shit...loved O'Rourke's books, as well as his Lampoon and Rolling Stone articles. This one stings. :(
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

P.J. O'Rourke was one of my all-time favorite writers. I keep waiting for some new writers to fill his and Hunter S. Thompson's shoes, but I'm afraid it's never going to happen. R.I.P.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Lata Mangeshkar, legendary Indian singer with 70+ year career and thousands of film credits to her name, died at 92 after contracting COVID.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/06/india/la ... index.html
Mangeshkar was a playback singer -- providing music to be mimed by actors -- for innumerable Indian movies. Her soft voice, which could attain a high pitch with an unsurpassable ease became a part of almost every Indian household.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Covid is nasty. I saw where a local EMT woman who had been here since the 70s and trained everyone in her later years got it and died. Everyones saying she continues her work through those she trained. Sad.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

another dead (formerly of) Seattle musician - Mark Lanegan
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... inger-dies
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh no...that hits hard. He was one of the most prolific musicians of the last 30+ years.

57 is way too young. Goddammit.

EDIT: His albums have been in frequent rotation for me over the last 20+ years. This is terrible.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:55 pm Saw signs for the "Amazing Johnathan" show, which we thought about but never saw - his bits on Comedy Central were dynamite.
LVRJ
The Amazing Johnathan, the longtime Strip headlining comic-magician who escaped death over the past several years of his life, has died at his home in Las Vegas. He was 63.
Since 2009, Johnathan had suffered from cardiomyopathy, a degenerative disease that weakens the heart muscle. In November 2014, he told an audience at an ENTSpeaks event at Inspire Theater in downtown Las Vegas he had been given a year to live.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never heard of him but 63 is too young. Seems many die at 63 these days in my eyes. One of those scary numbers like 27. RIP.