Core Space - Salvage//Trade//Adapt//Survive

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Core Space Solo - Salvage Mission

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm in exactly the same position. I'm really impressed with Core Space - not only the physical product but the actual game and mechanics they've created. I'm in for the fantasy battle system and I'm happy I took the risk on it (as I knew nothing about them prior). I don't even care if it's a medieval/fantasy reskin of Core Space - this system is solid.

I'm still poking around with the mechanics, but I think I'm ready for my first full test run using the tutorial.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I went all-in on the KS but so far have only gotten as far as opening the box and grabbing the manual. I've mostly just skimmed through it but will say its one of the most beautiful manuals I've seen.
I do appreciate this play by play as this may be as far as I get to play it on my own. I have a huge backlog of KS games and we need to make a bunch of moves/adjustments in the house before we have the room to play again.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Punisher wrote:I went all-in on the KS but so far have only gotten as far as opening the box and grabbing the manual. I've mostly just skimmed through it but will say its one of the most beautiful manuals I've seen.
I do appreciate this play by play as this may be as far as I get to play it on my own. I have a huge backlog of KS games and we need to make a bunch of moves/adjustments in the house before we have the room to play again.
If you’re looking to sell it off, let me know. I could use another set. Or sell it to another interested party. Too good to have it sitting on a shelf.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Punisher wrote:I went all-in on the KS but so far have only gotten as far as opening the box and grabbing the manual. I've mostly just skimmed through it but will say its one of the most beautiful manuals I've seen.
If you’re looking to sell it off, let me know. I could use another set. Or sell it to another interested party. Too good to have it sitting on a shelf.
Besides the fact that I am a KS hoarder (The only game I am thinking about selling is my unopened Game of thrones game by Cmon), this game is high on my list of ones I want to play. I have already invested in a ton of their other products to get ready for some walking dead (and now maybe Crisis Protocol). I will eventually get to this, just no room right now. I have games all over the house. My kitchen table is holding a resin 3d printer and my ps4 (this is where we used to game), my living has boxes of games a painting table, another large format FDM 3d printer and other assorted stuff.
Our goal is to slowly start cleaning things up and making more room. PS4 will move to living room once the entertainment center is cleaned out, We may buy some shelving or desk or something for behind the couch and move both 3d printers and my regular printer there.
We bought a nice starter set from Broken Token to hold my paint (Its really nice, but nowhere near enough, so more are planned..again once we make room..)
So yeah, Core Space is easily in my top 10, maybe even top 5 games I want to play first.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 am (For those interested, a used copy of this game just showed up on eBay. $60 shipped. Good price, depending on condition, which they don't really talk about...)
So, this ended up being my Christmas present from the family, arranged through me. It arrived today.

The idgit who packed it didn't pack it well at all. He had punched the various components (which is fine), but then just dumped them all back into the bottom of the box, stuck the deluxe book in there (so the lid didn't fit on properly), then didn't secure the lid at all. He then stuck it into the packing box and padded it with a handful of toilet paper, which compresses and doesn't actually pad. Net result, the lid came loose, everything shifted and shook in the mail, and it's a mess to sort through.

All of the components seem intact, but I'm having one hell of a time determining if there are any missing, as they're just jumbled in the box, and there is no full component list in the deluxe rulebook (and no non-deluxe rules, if that was supposed to be in there.) The only visible issue I see is that the inside of the front cover of the rulebook is split from the spine about halfway down.

Not terrible for the price, but between that and the guy sitting on it for ten days from payment before actually shipping it, it's at least going to earn him some nasty feedback.

I'm really looking forward to getting it on the table, though. This is one I really wish I'd found on Kickstarter, as I'd love to have the whole thing with the expansions. I've been looking for a decent theme-heavy, solo-friendly sci-fi dungeon crawler like this for years. Really, it's been the number one niche I've wanted to fill for a while.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

...and I can already see that there is no range ruler. I assume this was supposed to be in the core box?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't used Ebay in quite a while but I never bother with a listing if it doesn't include lots of photos. Even then you need to be careful especially with clothing sizing hehe.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Core Space Solo - Salvage Mission

Post by hentzau »

Dang, BH, that sucks.

(Speaking of shipping, I’m dropping your stuff in the mail tomorrow. Sorry about how late I am with it, Christmas really sucked my time away. I’ll do a better job of packing. Promise. :) )
Last edited by hentzau on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BGG Images should help with the contents. And there is at least one replacement option available.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:...and I can already see that there is no range ruler. I assume this was supposed to be in the core box?
It’s on the flip side of the movement ruler...did you get that?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:10 pm
Blackhawk wrote:...and I can already see that there is no range ruler. I assume this was supposed to be in the core box?
Nope. I have hostility tracker, and it seems from the pictures to be about the same size.
hentzau

Core Space Solo - Salvage Mission

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:
hentzau wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:10 pm
Nope. I have hostility tracker, and it seems from the pictures to be about the same size.
No, the movement and range ruler is longer than that by a little bit. I can send you the inches for the ranges. A movement action is 4” each action.

Check with Battle Systems too, in addition to bitching at the guy that sent this to you. They may be able to help you out, although they would have to send it from Great Britain.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. I'll wait until tomorrow when I have the time to inventory the whole shebang. I found a set of images that I think show the box contents on BGG.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Does this remain accurate?
Spoiler:

Also, sorry for hijacking.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

No worries. And that looks right (although I didn’t count all of the wall pieces. )
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It turned out that those were early Kickstarter images, and that both the art and numbers had changed. I went straight to the developers and got a complete list of components, plus images of the unpunched sheets for reference. It took several hours to check the jumbled box contents against the images and lists. Here's the list I sent to the seller in ebay:

1 Range ruler/movement gauge
1 Blue die
2 white divider sections, one long, one short
1 90 degree turn plastic connector
1 straight plastic connector
1 45-degree plastic connector
2x adds sign sides
2x cargo crate interior pieces (gray carbon fiber texture)

One is displeased.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ugh. Well, you can substitute a D6 for the blue die...if memory serves it has 3 blank faces, 2 faces with one hit and one space with 2 hits.

But that really sucks. If I would have known I would have sent you some extra clips, cause I have tons. The couple of missing ones really shouldn’t matter much though, they sent lots.

Again, sorry about that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are tons of most of them, but the core set only has three straight and two 45-degree clips. Losing one of each could be an issue. I've got a whole bag of blank d6s (purchased for Gaslands), and could always print out the ruler, as they sent me the on-scale image, the signs are cosmetic, and I could do a foamcore organizer if needed, but still. Between the packing, the damage, the missing parts, and taking ten days to ship, this guy is really under my skin. I'll see if he's willing to make it right. After all, they have a ruler and dice boosters for sale.

/edit - also, do you know if the core set is supposed to come with the regular paperback rulebook in addition to the hardback?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:There are tons of most of them, but the core set only has three straight and two 45-degree clips. Losing one of each could be an issue. I've got a whole bag of blank d6s (purchased for Gaslands), and could always print out the ruler, as they sent me the on-scale image, the signs are cosmetic, and I could do a foamcore organizer if needed, but still. Between the packing, the damage, the missing parts, and taking ten days to ship, this guy is really under my skin. I'll see if he's willing to make it right. After all, they have a ruler and dice boosters for sale.

/edit - also, do you know if the core set is supposed to come with the regular paperback rulebook in addition to the hardback?
Ok, I’ll send you some extra clips. As stated, I have plenty of them. And yes, the core set should have the paperback rulebook, unless this was a Kickstarter and they did some kind of a substitution.

(And that number of straight and 45 degree clips seems really low. But I have tons of clips from other sets and so I don’t have a good reference for what was in the core box. )
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:13 pm There are tons of most of them, but the core set only has three straight and two 45-degree clips. Losing one of each could be an issue. I've got a whole bag of blank d6s (purchased for Gaslands), and could always print out the ruler, as they sent me the on-scale image, the signs are cosmetic, and I could do a foamcore organizer if needed, but still. Between the packing, the damage, the missing parts, and taking ten days to ship, this guy is really under my skin. I'll see if he's willing to make it right. After all, they have a ruler and dice boosters for sale.

I dont believe mine came with the paperback rulebook. the hardback was an upgrade for the KS version.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Punisher wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:50 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:13 pm There are tons of most of them, but the core set only has three straight and two 45-degree clips. Losing one of each could be an issue. I've got a whole bag of blank d6s (purchased for Gaslands), and could always print out the ruler, as they sent me the on-scale image, the signs are cosmetic, and I could do a foamcore organizer if needed, but still. Between the packing, the damage, the missing parts, and taking ten days to ship, this guy is really under my skin. I'll see if he's willing to make it right. After all, they have a ruler and dice boosters for sale.

I dont believe mine came with the paperback rulebook. the hardback was an upgrade for the KS version.
Thanks to this thread, I've started working on my game and popping all the card tokens and whatnot out.
There was no paper rulebook, just the hardcover one.
I may look for an aftermarket organizer though as it seems like everything is tight (It also could be because I decided to put most things in their own little ziplock baggies to keep them organized.
I still have to pop out some of the scenery stuff and then debate on if it is worth putting some of the things together and keeping them stored that way if space is available.
After all that, it's time to decide if I want to try a game or work on the task of painting the minis.
I do plan on giving the GW Contrast paints a shot for this, especially for the purge.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't have any problem fitting everything into the provided storage, including with all of the furniture and such assembled. The problem is that it isn't clear that the storage is storage. It looks like plain white cardboard strips that a lot of people probably tossed out. You can see it in use here:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ditto. I think I had a couple of posts showing all of my stuff stowed away including containers for the pegs.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Here is my storage.
I still havent punched everything out yet. I also realized that I had another box of cyber city stuff from the KS. I gave to go through that as well but I might be able to use that for all the walls and such.
I went all in so I have a bunch more stuff than the standard retail core box.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now that I've freed up some spare time, I've been actively working at getting this onto the table. I spent a couple of hours today punching and edge-coloring terrain. I really enjoy that visual theming in this game. I've read through the rules now, and just need to actually get it on the table.

I need to convince myself that it's OK to play a board game before getting it 100% painted, too.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Really interested to hear your thoughts.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:08 pm Really interested to hear your thoughts.
On if it's really OK to play a game that's not 100% painted? :D
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only reason I'm hesitant to play a game not 100% painted is that I know once I start playing I'll never go back and finish painting. I still do it though.

Very interested in this one.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

For those folks playing Core Space, if you weren't aware, Battle Systems is having a black Friday sale on a bunch of their terrain that is useable with Core Space...only goes on this weekend though.

Link
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I played the intro salvage mission scenario and it was pretty cool. Have some pics and might do a separate AAR for it. It's a good beginner mission to get your feet wet and only made minor rule mistakes. Was easy to get into the flow of things after only a few rounds and even though the rule book is packed with stuff it really boils down to only doing a few things in a turn. I also played using the simplified movement rules that Battle Systems posted in an Errata/FAQ using the grid squares to calculate movement so a movement order of 4 would just be four squares instead of breaking out the ruler and measuring four inches.

In my hubris I decided to included more purge that I had just painted for the start of the Perseus Arm campaign. I figured since I had even more painted purge why not get them in there? Well in retrospect it might have been a good idea for the opening mission to just go with the number of Purge that came with the starter game since a bad draw of event cards kinda sealed my doom and we eventually ended up in this situation...

Enlarge Image

Captain Jace was acting as a rear guard and fell heroically at his position while Lars was making a run for the Black Maria with the data chip, hoping to recuperate and restock before mounting a kick ass rescue mission. Things didn't turn out quite the way we'd would have hoped but at least all the terrain is set up for another go at it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, that’s a no-win situation unless you happen to have found a t-port grenade...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hentzau wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:43 pm Yeah, that’s a no-win situation unless you happen to have found a t-port grenade...
My Tech dude already used up his skill points so he couldn't use his hack skill to remove some Purge. I also drew an event which allowed you to remove a Purge unit and thought we had a decent chance to make a run for our ship but the arrival dice thought differently.

In the end though it was quite a fun game and exciting right up to the horrific end...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Re: Core Space - Salvage//Trade//Adapt//Survive

Post by hentzau »

Retitled for easier finding and general use for Core Space.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Awesome - I didn't want to just take over your thread! Reposted:

Two more sets being released this summer, unrelated to any KS project. I'm astounded at how much support this game gets from the creators.
It’s called Black Star Rising and will be released this year – a little something to get you by while you wait for your First Born delivery! From a rules perspective it serves as a replacement for the Shift Change set so players can still access the Worker and Scavenger rules (which are unchanged). However, it will add brand new miniatures and character boards to expand your collection of sci-fi civilians, and we think these are some of our best sculpts yet! It wouldn’t be Core Space without a story, so you will also find a new three-mission narrative campaign to play through with your crews for plenty of gameplay content.

The new characters will of course come with all the usual equipment and other components. All the nano items added by Shift Change will be included, as well as some new additions including the Grapple Gun, perfect for a quick escape on a multi-level board!

Finally, we’ve taken the opportunity to make a bespoke die for the Workers with custom icons, so you won’t have to use the Chance Die and look up results on a table.
and:
Black Star Rising isn’t the only new product this year. To further support the game, there is another brand new, non-Kickstarted expansion featuring Bounty Hunters, one of the longest awaited additions to the universe! Wanted: Dead or Alive features two of these deadly characters, Nokura and Valian. When these new NPCs enter the board they mark their targets – the characters they have been tasked with hunting down – and will then pursue them relentlessly with a wide range of powerful weaponry. When they get close you’ll reveal your fate – have they been sent to extort you for an unpaid debt, to drag you off to prison, or is this a stone cold execution? It might be better not to find out…
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I ordered another crew set and it should be here today. But the one thing that keeps me from playing this more is the tedious setup for items every time I play. It takes me 20 minutes to sort through the item chits (mainly because you mix them during each game) and then put them in the right quantities in the right boxes. Is there an easier way to handle this?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:33 am So I ordered another crew set and it should be here today. But the one thing that keeps me from playing this more is the tedious setup for items every time I play. It takes me 20 minutes to sort through the item chits (mainly because you mix them during each game) and then put them in the right quantities in the right boxes. Is there an easier way to handle this?
Token sorting should be minimal. I have 6 containers for tokens...zero cost tokens, standard size, large size, and rare. And I guess another one for half size tokens in the new expansions. And I keep the race specific gear separate, only to be bought. I guess post game you have to pull the rare ones that you didn't discover, but...

Oh, and keep anything over cost 29 separate, because in one of the supplements (Dangerous Days, maybe?) they state that anything over cost 29 can't be salvaged but has to be bought.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My copies of Black Star Rising and Wanted Dead or Alive finally arrived today - I think they were stuck in customs since mid September. I'm officially out of space now - my collection of boxes and books is bigger than a Kallax cube. Need to figure out a way to condense things a bit and get them stored in a more efficient way, especially considering that the First Born KS is allegedly on track to be delivered before the end of the year (amazingly).

I wish I didn't lose my dedicated spot to keep this set up all the time...might need to figure out how to make that happen again somehow.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Friends bought me a First Born all-in for my birthday clear back in April, so I'm really looking forward to that. And they've been teasing their upcoming fantasy game using the same rule/terrain system. I just really hope they wait until I can afford to pledge for it! I'd stray from my no-KS rule for that.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’m still waiting for my FLGS to get copies in. So I’m jealous.