NFL 2019 - 20 Season with Playoffs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Re: NFL 2019 - 20 Season with Playoffs

Post by naednek »

That was niner's game to win. They held the chiefs in check for 3 quarters, but gave up two costly passes in the 4th. Can't blame anyone but themselves. I do have issue with the so called offensive interference call in the 1st half, and the TD in the 4th where the player's foot was out of bounds. But still didn't matter, niners gave up in the 4th.

Congrats to the Chiefs, a very fun team to watch. Don't think they'll be able to keep everyone next year. Enjoy it while it lasts.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

naednek wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:17 am I do have issue with the so called offensive interference call in the 1st half, and the TD in the 4th where the player's foot was out of bounds.
The TD was incredibly close. It looked to me like the nose of the ball was barely touching the front of the goalline when his foot went out. Whatever they called on the field would have stood.

But yeah, that offensive PI was a ticky-tack call.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Victorious Patrick Mahomes Thanks Bears For Drafting Mitchell Trubisky.
MIAMI—Crediting general manager Ryan Pace for playing an instrumental role in advancing his career, Super Bowl champion Patrick Mahomes thanked the Chicago Bears Sunday for selecting Mitchell Trubisky instead of him in the 2017 NFL Draft. “I would’ve never had this opportunity to compete for a championship if I had ended up on the Bears,” said Mahomes during a post-game interview, expressing his gratitude to the Chicago franchise for sparing him from years of mediocrity and career frustration. “There were some tense moments on draft day when it looked like I might be headed to Chicago, but luckily God had other plans for me. Instead of lifting this trophy, I could be languishing at the bottom of the NFC North and running for my life after every snap behind a terrible offensive line. I’m so glad I get to throw to Tyreek (Hill) and Sammy (Watkins) my whole career instead of whoever the hell is on the Bears.” Mahomes added that he only hopes all the current Bears players get as lucky as he did.
This feels like it was written specifically to troll ImLawBoy.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:05 am Victorious Patrick Mahomes Thanks Bears For Drafting Mitchell Trubisky.
MIAMI—Crediting general manager Ryan Pace for playing an instrumental role in advancing his career, Super Bowl champion Patrick Mahomes thanked the Chicago Bears Sunday for selecting Mitchell Trubisky instead of him in the 2017 NFL Draft. “I would’ve never had this opportunity to compete for a championship if I had ended up on the Bears,” said Mahomes during a post-game interview, expressing his gratitude to the Chicago franchise for sparing him from years of mediocrity and career frustration. “There were some tense moments on draft day when it looked like I might be headed to Chicago, but luckily God had other plans for me. Instead of lifting this trophy, I could be languishing at the bottom of the NFC North and running for my life after every snap behind a terrible offensive line. I’m so glad I get to throw to Tyreek (Hill) and Sammy (Watkins) my whole career instead of whoever the hell is on the Bears.” Mahomes added that he only hopes all the current Bears players get as lucky as he did.
:lol:
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Exodor wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:57 pm Enlarge Image

:doh:

(Kansas City is not, in fact, in Kansas)

:lol:
There is a Kansas City, Kansas! But the Chiefs (and Royals) don't play there.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:05 am Victorious Patrick Mahomes Thanks Bears For Drafting Mitchell Trubisky.
I'm a national punchline!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:53 am
naednek wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:17 am I do have issue with the so called offensive interference call in the 1st half, and the TD in the 4th where the player's foot was out of bounds.
The TD was incredibly close. It looked to me like the nose of the ball was barely touching the front of the goalline when his foot went out. Whatever they called on the field would have stood.

It was obvious offensive pass interference. It was full arm extention and I fully expected the flag as it was happening.

Also, it was a touchdown.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

San Fran got what they deserved when they let off the gas at the end of the second quarter. They could have gotten the ball back with plenty of time and just wanted to head for the hills.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:54 am

It was obvious offensive pass interference. It was full arm extention and I fully expected the flag as it was happening.
Eh. We've all seen far worse not called. If he defender was taller, I'm betting it doesn't get called. The size difference made it seem more egregious than it was.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought it was offensive PI in real time, but I've certainly seen more egregious pass interference not get called.

I was less thrilled with the defensive PI called on SF when Kelce was in the end zone. Sure, the defender wasn't facing the ball, but it didn't really look like he was in much contact with Kelce before the ball got there (hit his leg?). Once that was called, it seemed inevitable the Chiefs were going to win the game, even though they were still down 10.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:32 am
I'm a national punchline!
Given the tweet above from our Commander in Chief, I think that title has already been taken.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:38 am I thought it was offensive PI in real time, but I've certainly seen more egregious pass interference not get called.

I was less thrilled with the defensive PI called on SF when Kelce was in the end zone. Sure, the defender wasn't facing the ball, but it didn't really look like he was in much contact with Kelce before the ball got there (hit his leg?). Once that was called, it seemed inevitable the Chiefs were going to win the game, even though they were still down 10.
The PI in the endzone will get called every single time. He ran into Kelce with his back turned to the ball.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:33 am Eh. We've all seen far worse not called. If he defender was taller, I'm betting it doesn't get called. The size difference made it seem more egregious than it was.
Well, sure, but that doesn't change the fact it was OPI. We shouldn't criticize the refs for getting one right.

Also, I thought it was a very well officiated game.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:44 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:33 am Eh. We've all seen far worse not called. If he defender was taller, I'm betting it doesn't get called. The size difference made it seem more egregious than it was.
Well, sure, but that doesn't change the fact it was OPI. We shouldn't criticize the refs for getting one right.

Also, I thought it was a very well officiated game.
Officiating was fine. It's more of an NFL rules problem than a problem with the refs in that particular game or refs at all.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There was officiating at the game? Not a single holding call, nothing for helmet to helmet contact or blows to the QBs’ heads.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I wish every game was called like the Super Bowls are. They let a lot more slide for sure. One the of the reasons I don't watch football much anymore is the endless penalties.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 am There was officiating at the game? Not a single holding call, nothing for helmet to helmet contact or blows to the QBs’ heads.
Wasn't there one holding on a kick/punt return? Maybe it was something else.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

TheMix wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:07 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 am There was officiating at the game? Not a single holding call, nothing for helmet to helmet contact or blows to the QBs’ heads.
Yes, there was.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have no problem with "let them play." The problem of course is inconsistency, and when a penalty is called it seems out of the blue.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Wasn't there a call just like it in one of the championship playoff games? Pushing off, and getting caught, is OPI.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

TheMix wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:07 pm
Yes, a punt if I remember right.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:38 am I thought it was offensive PI in real time, but I've certainly seen more egregious pass interference not get called.

And that type of call normally doesn't get called in playoffs. Sure if it was more blatent, but that was pretty weak.

With that said, overall officiating was fine. I just felt that penalty was suspect. And I'm not blaming refs for the loss, that was all niners.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I thought that call falls under the idea, I won't call it a rule since I can't quote the rule, that both players are allowed to play the ball. In that case the defender was doing nothing but trying to block the receiver from making a play for the ball. The defender himself was clearly not playing the ball. If the defender had turned around to play the ball then that's no interference even if he's still in the exact same spot.

I thought the Niners tight end did commit offensive pass interference. However I will also agree that's one of those plays that sometimes gets called, sometimes doesn't. He has long arms and his arm was extended so maybe it looks worse when he does it.

On the sideline touchdown, I didn't see any clear indication on the replays that he didn't make it. Since the call on the field was he did make it then the call should stand. His toes were definitely on the line, but what is not clear from any of those angles is where the tip of the ball is at the moment right before his toes go out of bounds. Remember, any part of the ball crosses the plane of the goal line and it's a touchdown.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tell that to Dez Bryant.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:19 pm I have no problem with "let them play." The problem of course is inconsistency, and when a penalty is called it seems out of the blue.
That's 100% fair, but at the same time the vagueness of NFL rules makes consistency virtually impossible.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:19 pm I have no problem with "let them play." The problem of course is inconsistency, and when a penalty is called it seems out of the blue.
That's 100% fair, but at the same time the vagueness of NFL rules makes consistency virtually impossible.
Isn't that kind of par for the course in pro sports? I don't think the NBA still knows what a travel is for example.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 pm
Isn't that kind of par for the course in pro sports? I don't think the NBA still knows what a travel is for example.
MLB's rules always seem hyper-precise. "If a player with last name beginning with "B" throws a pitch low on an afternoon game in May, it shall be a ball".

But yes, it is in general hard to make detailed enough rules, it just seems like the NFL is the worst case of this.
Black Lives Matter.