NFL 2019 - 20 Season with Playoffs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: NFL 2019 - 20 Season with Playoffs

Post by ImLawBoy »

Some locals were calling the Chiefs/Texans game the "Pace Bowl" in honor of Bears GM Ryan Pace. After all, if either Mahomes or Watson had been available when the Bears traded three draft picks to move up one spot to pick Trubisky, one of them could have been on the Bears.

Hang on. I'm being told they were both available when Pace traded three draft picks to move up one spot to pick Trubisky.

(I thought I had it out of my system, but apparently there was at least one more in there.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 am After all, if either Mahomes or Watson had been available when the Bears traded three draft picks to move up one spot to pick Trubisky, one of them could have been on the Bears.
And at home, watching on TV while ILB rails against the Bears for picking a stiff when they could have easily had the phenom Trubinsky almost certainly would have become had he wound up on either of those teams instead. :P
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am
EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:55 am
El Guapo wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:06 pm So, I would think we are looking at a Niners-Chiefs Super Bowl.
Seems like the most likely outcome. Though I wouldn't be entirely shocked by a Niners - Derrick Henry super bowl.
First. No. Please just not. That would be a blowout.
Second, I just don't see Tennessee matching KCs output. Mahomes is a completely different QB than Jackson.You could sell out on the pass and force them to run but I don't think that's possible with Kelce.
Third, I think it's much more likely that the Packers beat the 49ers than Ten beats KC. The Packers also destroyed the Vikings by playing good defense and running the ball. GB has a much better QB than SF does.
It is hard for me to see Tennessee matching KC's output as well. But then, I was confident that Baltimore was going to thrash Tennessee. If the Titans can beat the Ravens 28-12, then they're capable of beating KC as well. In fact, they did beat KC late during the regular season. And it's still early, but who knows, maybe Vrabel is an amazing coach.
Certainly. The Ravens had the best offense in football and the Titans held them to 12 points, so KC on paper is not a lock. If they can't stop Henry they will be in for a long day.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 am After all, if either Mahomes or Watson had been available when the Bears traded three draft picks to move up one spot to pick Trubisky, one of them could have been on the Bears.
And at home, watching on TV while ILB rails against the Bears for picking a stiff when they could have easily had the phenom Trubinsky almost certainly would have become had he wound up on either of those teams instead. :P
Except the Bears could have had three more draft picks had they taken either of the others - in fact they probably could have traded down and got more draft picks. Even with your fatalistic view of Bears QBs, the Bears would have been in a better situation.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am
Scuzz wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:06 pm So, I would think we are looking at a Niners-Chiefs Super Bowl.
Seems like the most likely outcome. Though I wouldn't be entirely shocked by a Niners - Derrick Henry super bowl.
Second, I just don't see Tennessee matching KCs output. Mahomes is a completely different QB than Jackson.You could sell out on the pass and force them to run but I don't think that's possible with Kelce.
Third, I think it's much more likely that the Packers beat the 49ers than Ten beats KC. The Packers also destroyed the Vikings by playing good defense and running the ball. GB has a much better QB than SF does.
It is hard for me to see Tennessee matching KC's output as well. But then, I was confident that Baltimore was going to thrash Tennessee. If the Titans can beat the Ravens 28-12, then they're capable of beating KC as well. In fact, they did beat KC late during the regular season. And it's still early, but who knows, maybe Vrabel is an amazing coach.
Certainly. The Ravens had the best offense in football and the Titans held them to 12 points, so KC on paper is not a lock. If they can't stop Henry they will be in for a long day.
I think the Ravens led the league in scoring, but didn't the Cowboys have statistically the best offense?

The Titans will have a chance because I don't think the Chiefs are strong against the run. But I would take Mahomes over Jackson throwing the ball any day.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Niners have consistently shown that you don't need to have a better QB than the opposition. I'm glad you're favoring GB because you've been wrong so far :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 pm I think the Ravens led the league in scoring, but didn't the Cowboys have statistically the best offense?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:18 pm
Niners have consistently shown that you don't need to have a better QB than the opposition. I'm glad you're favoring GB because you've been wrong so far :)
I would favor the Niners based on their running game and the defense. The only catch would be if Green Bay managed to jump out to a 2-3 score lead. Could Garopollo bring the Niners back thru the air?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:22 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 pm I think the Ravens led the league in scoring, but didn't the Cowboys have statistically the best offense?
I believe that the Ravens had the no. 1 offense by DVOA, FWIW.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:25 pm
I would favor the Niners based on their running game and the defense. The only catch would be if Green Bay managed to jump out to a 2-3 score lead. Could Garopollo bring the Niners back thru the air?
It's going to be he Packers because the first Superbowl was Packers/Chiefs and this is the 100th Anniversary of the NFL. Plus State Farm. The script writes itself.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Statistically, Jimmy G and Rodgers had pretty similar seasons. Similar numbers for TDs and yards. Jimmy G had more interceptions but a considerably higher pass completion percentage. I think it's still fair to say that Rodgers is a better QB than Garoppolo, but at this point in their respective careers I'm not sure the difference is enormous.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Have I? First round 3 for 4. Second round 3 for 4. I missed on the Saints over Vikings and on the Ravens over Titans. I picked the 49ers to win. So 6 for 8 which I think it decent. I didn't say the Packers would beat SF just that it's more likely than Tenn beating KC. Sure, you can win with a mediocre QB. No one has said they couldn't because that's how they've been winning all year. Finally, I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong about Rogers being the better QB.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm
My point being the Titans held a high scoring offense to 12 points. You don’t do that by just showing up.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:32 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm
My point being the Titans held a high scoring offense to 12 points. You don’t do that by just showing up.
Yeah, I agree with you.
Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think the 49ers QB is very underrated. He's not a weak point on that team. Plus now he has all the confidence a QB can have from being on a very good and playoff game winning team. He's dangerous now. I would not be surprised if he did lead his team to a comeback victory with just passing.

I think Green Bay's chance is based on something that doesn't show in the stats, the ability to make something happen. Rodgers just has that knack. He just needs his teammates to not let him down, ala screwing up an onside kick recovery. That's why I expect that to be a good game.

One thing I wonder about with the Titans is how well Henry is doing physically. Two big games must have taken a toll, or is he just getting warmed up? Great running backs have been shut down in the playoffs, but usually it's against a team that's good against the run. On paper Henry looks to have a good day vs the Chiefs but then that same paper said the Titans had no chance against the Ravens.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Games aren't played on paper. They're played by little men inside your television.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:47 pm I think the 49ers QB is very underrated. He's not a weak point on that team. Plus now he has all the confidence a QB can have from being on a very good and playoff game winning team. He's dangerous now. I would not be surprised if he did lead his team to a comeback victory with just passing.

I think Green Bay's chance is based on something that doesn't show in the stats, the ability to make something happen. Rodgers just has that knack. He just needs his teammates to not let him down, ala screwing up an onside kick recovery. That's why I expect that to be a good game.

One thing I wonder about with the Titans is how well Henry is doing physically. Two big games must have taken a toll, or is he just getting warmed up? Great running backs have been shut down in the playoffs, but usually it's against a team that's good against the run. On paper Henry looks to have a good day vs the Chiefs but then that same paper said the Titans had no chance against the Ravens.
I don't think a whole lot is known about Garoppolo. This is, essentially, his second year. Prior to this year he'd started 10 games. He's played fine so far but he simply doesn't have the experience even Mahommes has. Sure, he's held Tom's clipboard and been part of super bowl winning teams (he actually has more superbowl rings than Rogers) but there's a big difference between being on the sidelines in big games and being in the game. He could play great or he could show that he's the equivalent of Trent Dilfer or Joe Flacco.

Henry has actually had 3 monster games. He had around 200 yards in week 17 as well. He had a big game against KC earlier in the year 188 yards. I don't think KC will shut him down but they don't have to. They had 3 tds and 4 field goals in that game (and a missed field goal) and the Titans returned a fumble for a TD. The Chiefs only punted once in that game. The Titans could have a similar (or better game) but I don't think that's likely.

While I'd rather the Packers win (not really a Packer fan but I like them) I'd much rather see a 49ers Chiefs game than Packers Chiefs. I want to see what Reid and Mahommes can do against that defense.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's nice to know it's not just me.

The Winners and Losers of the NFL Divisional Round:
Loser: The Chicago Bears

Maybe it’s unfair that everything that subpar quarterback Mitch Trubisky does for his entire career will be compared to legitimate superstars Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes. He didn’t ask to be drafted ahead of them! But, as you’ve probably heard, the Bears drafted subpar quarterback Mitch Trubisky above legitimate superstars Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes. In fact, they traded up to do so!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm Statistically, Jimmy G and Rodgers had pretty similar seasons. Similar numbers for TDs and yards. Jimmy G had more interceptions but a considerably higher pass completion percentage. I think it's still fair to say that Rodgers is a better QB than Garoppolo, but at this point in their respective careers I'm not sure the difference is enormous.
The only reason Jimmy has a higher pass completion is because out of all the QB's he throws the least furthest. In turn, the 49ers lead in YAC.

Rodgers is the better QB. But he's a pocket passer, and this 49ers Defense eats pocket passers for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is why he only had 87 yards passing on Nov 24th. 49ers need to defend Adams, defend against the screen, and stop Jones. Those are the keys to victory.

If niners and chiefs move on, I don't know how the niners can stop them. Niners don't play well against mobile QB's due to the defensive scheme. They would need to match up offensively because their D will have trouble.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pmWhile I'd rather the Packers win (not really a Packer fan but I like them) I'd much rather see a 49ers Chiefs game than Packers Chiefs. I want to see what Reid and Mahommes can do against that defense.
I'm not a Packers fan but I wouldn't mind them in the SB so Rodgers can have another shot at winning one. I think he's a better quarterback than a lot of people give him credit for but the lack of SB wins is what hurts his rep. 49ers vs Chiefs would be the more interesting game though. Unstoppable force vs immovable object.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

This week the 49ers are my second-favorite team! As a dedicated fan since yesterday, I hope they perform with the same excellence that got them home field advantage and not my pre-season expectation that they wouldn't amount to much -- my 49ers-free FF team and early playoff exit was testament to that mistake.

As to my former second-favorite team, after yesterday's performance the loathsome Seahawks dropped 29 spots to #31.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:21 pm This week the 49ers are my second-favorite team! As a dedicated fan since yesterday, I hope they perform with the same excellence that got them home field advantage and not my pre-season expectation that they wouldn't amount to much -- my 49ers-free FF team and early playoff exit was testament to that mistake.

As to my former second-favorite team, after yesterday's performance the loathsome Seahawks dropped 29 spots to #31.
Who holds the coveted Jeff V #32 spot?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:21 pm This week the 49ers are my second-favorite team! As a dedicated fan since yesterday, I hope they perform with the same excellence that got them home field advantage and not my pre-season expectation that they wouldn't amount to much -- my 49ers-free FF team and early playoff exit was testament to that mistake.

Who holds the coveted Jeff V #32 spot?
The opponent of my second favorite team is my least favorite team, except for the two times per year my favorite team plays them.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Fox, Alternative Facts version of the playoffs:
Welcome to the alternate reality where the 49ers lost to the Vikings in the NFC Divisional Round.

That other world, however briefly, existed in Seattle on Saturday night, where local news station Q13 Fox News aired an entire segment about the Vikings' "win."

"Whoever wins tomorrow [in the Seahawks-Packers game] will play the Minnesota Vikings next," anchor Hana Kim begins. "The question is where. Today, the Vikings beat the 49ers to get to the NFC Championship. The final score was 27-10."

The mistake wasn't just on the teleprompter, however. The lower third also read: "VIKINGS WIN COULD MEAN SEATTLE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP."

"The Vikings win sets up Seattle as the possible hosts of the NFC Championship game, but only if the Seahawks beat the Packers tomorrow," Kim said. "So we will see. We're keeping our fingers crossed. Go Hawks."
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chiefs - Yay we won. We get to host the playoff game.
Chiefs - Awww crap, we gotta play the Titans.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm Chiefs - Yay we won. We get to host the playoff game.
They aren't any more afraid of the Titans than they were the Texans. Chiefs are favored by a touchdown.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And almost certainly less scared than if they had to play Baltimore at Baltimore.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 pm And almost certainly less scared than if they had to play Baltimore at Baltimore.
And less scared than if they had to face a spooky monster.
Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I can buy the Chiefs were scared at the idea of needing to win in Baltimore. Scared of the Texans? No. That's why they got fired up when they fell behind, I'm sure they were pissed off at themselves for that. I can buy they are scared of the Titans because of their run defense issues. The Titans went to Baltimore and kicked the crap out of the previously feared Ravens. The Chiefs would have to be kind of dumb to not feel some fear from that. Counterbalancing the fear is self confidence. You can be afraid of something while at the same time confident that you have the tools to handle it. That's where their run defense comes in. How does that team feel about their chances to stop Henry? Only they know. Can Tannehill beat them with the pass? Who knows?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm Chiefs - Yay we won. We get to host the playoff game.
They aren't any more afraid of the Titans than they were the Texans. Chiefs are favored by a touchdown.
So, does that mean they will only spot the Titans 21 points?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:15 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm
So, does that mean they will only spot the Titans 21 points?
Given the fact that Henry is on the Titans, I don't think it would be a good idea to give the Titans a 21 point lead.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Let’s go, Chiefs.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Not exactly an impressive start for the Chiefs but we know that means nothing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So far, Titans doing exactly what you need to do to beat KC - keep Mahomes off the field.

They're probably built for that strategy better than any other team in the NFL.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

KC isn't going down easily though as they convert on 4th down
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The score is close, so much for ball control. That has to be demoralizing.

edit: The Titans are showing they came to play
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reid and Mahoney can adjust.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Nice run there by Mahomes. I wonder how much of it was the TItants not wanting to get a roughing call.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

At the end, they looked like they were trying to strip the ball rather than tackle. Pretty dumb considering the clock. Also, once Mahomes becomes a runner they can hit him just as hard as any other player. Got to take that shot on him.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

That's how scary that offense is. Even with ball control working the Chiefs are still winning. The one danger for them is their defense gets worn out.