Pet stories: sometimes happy, sometimes sad

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: Sad pet stories...and maybe a happy one

Post by Alefroth »

So sorry, Octavious. It is one of the worst things to see them deteriorate when they've been so full of life. I've lost 6 cats to cancer over 20 years and had to decide the right time to let each go. A few we were able to let go at home and it makes such a difference.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So sorry Octavious. :(

I've lost 3 dogs to cancer. If the treatment is hard, I just don't think it's worth putting a pet through all that trauma just for my emotions. The decision is still not an easy one.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:( :cry:

There’s nothing anyone can say to make it better. So sorry for your loss. I guess the joy pets give us over the years outweighs the grief when they die, but it doesn’t feel that way when you’re going through it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im so sorry. I dont know what to say. Ill never have another after my current little guy. I just cant do it. Rather be alone than go through it. Its the way I am. Over emotional.

Best to you and your daughter.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

She's still hanging on, but I can't see her lasting through the week. She's eating and sitting with us and purring like a tractor, but she can't really properly use the bathroom anymore. Which means we have to constantly babysit her. That will work for a few days, but we'll have to take her in sometime this week. I'm still debating in my mind to take her to get checked by the surgeon, but I'm sure it's really just a waste of time and money. She's lost so much weight and if she still can't properly use the bathroom. I have no idea if removing the mass would help with the bathroom. This really sucks... You just end up feeling like you're giving up on them. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

:chores-mop: :(
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

friend lost a cat to cancer a couple years back. they admit that they now tried too many things to try to prolong the cat's life, which they regret now. (yeah, a _lot_ of money was spent trying to help and nothing worked.) cat was in pretty sad shape by the end and had to be euthanized anyways.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

She seems pretty happy aside from the peeing everywhere. So I think we're going to at least spend the week with her if she still looks good. I had a plan to go out and do stuff on Friday, but instead we're just going to make a party at home. Obviously if she looks terrible later in the week plans can change. Not the most fun summer, but that's life.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:51 am Ill never have another after my current little guy. I just cant do it. Rather be alone than go through it. Its the way I am. Over emotional.
although... this could be spun as being somewhat self-centered. there is currently an overpopulation of dogs (and cats) in animal shelters. why not separate your feels of sadness/grief - maybe even set it aside - in order to give another homeless dog/cat a chance at _their_ life? especially if you live in a 'high-kill shelter' state, in which case it is likely they'll be killed if they don't get adopted soon enough (and ofc they don't have _any_ say in the matter). and every animal adopted makes room for another to take their place so THEY can have a chance for adoption.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He doesn't have the funds to pay for medical care if an issue arises. So, while the idea is good having something you can't afford to take care of isn't a great either. I already dropped like 500 in the last week and will end up dropping another 500 at some point in the next couple of weeks. And that's without trying any of the extra stuff like the surgery which I'm not likely to do unless the cat shows so miraculously signs of recovery this week. :(

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:58 pm He doesn't have the funds to pay for medical care if an issue arises. So, while the idea is good having something you can't afford to take care of isn't a great either.
that's a separate topic (and was not mentioned at all, so i didn't address it)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya just thinking of him in particular is all. :)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I get him (I think.)

Sometimes when you keep losing people (within which I include pets), you don't want to set yourself up to lose more, which you know will happen eventually.

The problem is that without anybody at all, we tend to turn inward in ways that make us far, far more miserable than the loss of a pet would, and for a far longer time. Getting a new pet is absolutely setting yourself up for future pain, but sometimes it's also eliminating years of pain in process - from both of you.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well the medicine they gave had a side effect of exploding you know what. And ya that happened. It's like a hospice here. I don't think this is going to last long. :(

grumpy

Post by grumpy »

If you can manage it (it costs a few $$ extra, but it can be done), see if you can get them euthanized by a visiting vet, at home. Their memories of the whole car trip and vet office aren't the fondest.

Best to you all.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:42 pm She seems pretty happy aside from the peeing everywhere. So I think we're going to at least spend the week with her if she still looks good. I had a plan to go out and do stuff on Friday, but instead we're just going to make a party at home. Obviously if she looks terrible later in the week plans can change. Not the most fun summer, but that's life.
If you are willing to keep cleaning up after her, and she isn't in pain, then you'll know that it's time when she stops eating. That's the clearest signal they can send.

But if keeping her alive until then is making you miserable, you have to consider your own quality of life, too. You are only postponing the inevitable, after all, and it's not going to do your memories any favors. We once kept a cat alive a couple of weeks too long and resolved never to do that again.

Only you can know what's right for you and your pet, and I'm so sorry you have to decide. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but I will advise against taking heroic measures like the surgery that you mentioned. It will cost you a lot, it will be an ordeal for the cat, and the end will be the same.

If you have a good relationship with your vet, ask her "what would you do if it were your pet?" You don't have to agree with what s/he says, but it's a good data point to have.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken gives good advice. If things are such that you can take the time to say goodbye and prepare, that's a good thing. But if every single entity involved is suffering, maintaining that isn't a good expression of love.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cats have broken my heart so many times. But they brought me a lot of happiness along the way. I understand Daehawk's position -- after Iggy died, a year passed before I needed to fill the hole that he left.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:46 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:42 pm She seems pretty happy aside from the peeing everywhere. So I think we're going to at least spend the week with her if she still looks good. I had a plan to go out and do stuff on Friday, but instead we're just going to make a party at home. Obviously if she looks terrible later in the week plans can change. Not the most fun summer, but that's life.
If you are willing to keep cleaning up after her, and she isn't in pain, then you'll know that it's time when she stops eating. That's the clearest signal they can send.

But if keeping her alive until then is making you miserable, you have to consider your own quality of life, too. You are only postponing the inevitable, after all, and it's not going to do your memories any favors. We once kept a cat alive a couple of weeks too long and resolved never to do that again.

Only you can know what's right for you and your pet, and I'm so sorry you have to decide. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but I will advise against taking heroic measures like the surgery that you mentioned. It will cost you a lot, it will be an ordeal for the cat, and the end will be the same.

If you have a good relationship with your vet, ask her "what would you do if it were your pet?" You don't have to agree with what s/he says, but it's a good data point to have.
Vet already said if money is no object you could try surgery, but he wouldn't do it if it was him. We really aren't going to explore that as much as I would like to pull some miracle hail mary cure.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:31 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:46 pm

Vet already said if money is no object you could try surgery, but he wouldn't do it if it was him. We really aren't going to explore that as much as I would like to pull some miracle hail mary cure.
If you go back pages and pages you'll find vets advising us to put Warren down because FIP is always fatal, and then it turned out there was a secret cure and Warren just had his 4th birthday. Miracle cures exist, sometimes. This isn't one of those times.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We will likely schedule something next week with the way things are going. Babysitting works in the short term, but we legit can't leave her alone. So we'll spend time this week and then next week will be less fun. :(

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

She passed laying on the couch today. She was pretty energetic yesterday and this morning she didn't want to eat or drink. She passed while I was at work. Sucks but it worked out the way I had hoped. We really didn't want to have to bring her in.

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully it gives you some comfort in the fact that she passed in a place of warmth and joy for her. Taking them in isn't fun. The last time I had to do it I cried the entire drive.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

She was sitting with my wife and daughter being pet. I can't think of a better situation.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:51 pm She was sitting with my wife and daughter being pet. I can't think of a better situation.
That's the best ending she could have had. Sorry for your loss.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

In the reminder that my job sucks. They thought I was crazy for running home when my wife called crying. I will rid myself of that place this year.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:07 pm In the reminder that my job sucks. They thought I was crazy for running home when my wife called crying. I will rid myself of that place this year.
About. Fucking. Time.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:35 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:51 pm She was sitting with my wife and daughter being pet. I can't think of a better situation.
That's the best ending she could have had. Sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry for your loss, but she went in peace around the ones she loved and loved her, what more could you really ask.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry for the loss of your baby Oct. Im siting here crying for a cat I never met now. Its because I worry so much on my little guy. He is 15 and he is the last pet me and my late wife got together. I worry about losing him because its like losing a last piece of her too.

Hehe My wife would tell me don't mourn the living. I wish the best to you and your family. Bless your little cat. She will play and be comfortable until you see her again. I really believe that.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:07 pm In the reminder that my job sucks. They thought I was crazy for running home when my wife called crying. I will rid myself of that place this year.
when you do, you gonna be mad you waited so long (too long)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:43 pm
About. Fucking. Time.
I'm trying to remember back to the first time you said you were going to quit this year for sure.

I'm glad she got to pass in the place she loved surrounded by the people she loved. That is really the best case scenario.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gbasden wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:04 am
About. Fucking. Time.
I'm trying to remember back to the first time you said you were going to quit this year for sure.
pretty sure i've had five (or six!) different jobs since then. but i digress...
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:32 pm She passed laying on the couch today. She was pretty energetic yesterday and this morning she didn't want to eat or drink. She passed while I was at work. Sucks but it worked out the way I had hoped. We really didn't want to have to bring her in.
I am sorry for your loss. We got two cats, brother and sister about 15 years ago. She had mouth cancer and we had her put to sleep a few years ago. Her brother basically passed of old age last November. He was doing well, but obviously failing when one morning he was at our door unable to get up. After several hours like that we took him to his last visit with the vet.

I have never been able to get another dog after our last one died sleeping under his favorite bush. But a couple months ago we adopted another brother and sister kitten combo.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:47 pm
gbasden wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:04 am
About. Fucking. Time.
pretty sure i've had five (or six!) different jobs since then. but i digress...
I've tried many times. Bunch of interviews and it just never works out. :(

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:30 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:32 pm She passed laying on the couch today. She was pretty energetic yesterday and this morning she didn't want to eat or drink. She passed while I was at work. Sucks but it worked out the way I had hoped. We really didn't want to have to bring her in.
I am sorry for your loss. We got two cats, brother and sister about 15 years ago. She had mouth cancer and we had her put to sleep a few years ago. Her brother basically passed of old age last November. He was doing well, but obviously failing when one morning he was at our door unable to get up. After several hours like that we took him to his last visit with the vet.

I have never been able to get another dog after our last one died sleeping under his favorite bush. But a couple months ago we adopted another brother and sister kitten combo.
I think it will be a long time until we get another pet. She was the best pet I ever had and getting another one anytime soon just feels wrong.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Octavious wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:05 am
Scuzz wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:30 pm

I think it will be a long time until we get another pet. She was the best pet I ever had and getting another one anytime soon just feels wrong.
I get it. We got the kittens because my daughter who lives with us wanted them and a friend had some to get rid of. My wife still cries when we talk about the last cat. But the kittens, other than the crazy shit kittens will do, have been wonderful to be around.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'll probably change my mind around the time my daughter sorts out what she's doing with school. I think my wife will need some kind of distraction if my daughter goes far away to school. Right now she's dead set on William and Mary if she can get in and we get enough scholarships. It's a public school, but it's out of state so ya not cheap. :P

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sad pet stories...and maybe a happy one
I'm going to call this an 'unknown' story for now.

I have a new visitor - his (?) name is Phoenix. We found him in a parking lot today, likely fallen from a sign nearby. He's about three weeks old (so still a squeaker), and his vent was completely matted over with rock-hard dried poop (a danger for young birds of any species, and possibly brought on due to dehydration during the heat wave), as were his feet (a few toes weren't even visible) resulting in him being malnourished. He wasn't long for this world without intervention.

So, he's here now, in the rescue cage. A couple of soaks in warm water was enough to let me clean him off (and he's pooping like crazy now that the cork is out of the bottle), and I've managed to get him to drink and was able to hand-feed him a little bit of mash and a few peas, a process I'll be repeating every couple of hours for the next few weeks. He's standing, and I've seen some preening in the IP camera I use to monitor rescues, both of which are good signs.

Baby birds are never a sure thing, but pigeons are particularly resilient, so I'm hoping for the best.

Here he is in the bath, and after:
Spoiler:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He looks strong. Got that head up.

The in laws had pomeranians once as kennel dogs. Poop + hair butts = that some deal nearly. I got the job of repair. After one summer of it I took some clippers up to the kennel and shaved a buncha butts. MiL was so happy until she saw it saved her money and kept the dogs healthy. Much easier to care for after that.