The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm Why doesn't half the country see how guilty Trump and the GOP are when they refuse to view evidence and witnesses?

Well, about 40% of the country is getting their news from Fox, which covers the impeachment hearings by literally muting them.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is worth listening to:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rot in hell, Pompeo.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo berated and cursed at an NPR reporter following a contentious exchange over Ukraine, the reporter said Friday.
This was Mary Louse Kelly from NPR. I’ve been listening to her for years. If I’m going to believe anyone, it’s her. Pompeo deserves to lose his job and never work in politics again for what he’s done to the State Department. He’s a traitorous scumbag.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm Rot in hell, Pompeo.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo berated and cursed at an NPR reporter following a contentious exchange over Ukraine, the reporter said Friday.
This was Mary Louse Kelly from NPR. I’ve been listening to her for years. If I’m going to believe anyone, it’s her. Pompeo deserves to lose his job and never work in politics again for what he’s done to the State Department. He’s a traitorous scumbag.
All of them.

It's Trump's gang or the American republic. One of them gets the future.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Double post
Last edited by malchior on Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Despite the overwhelming evidence the Senate is scared of Trump, they are diving onto their fainting couches like an Italian footballer. What are they upset about? Schiff simply mentioning the news story about retaliation threats against GOP Senators.

There are no moderates there. They only play at it. They are constantly seeking any off ramp to justify their obsequiousness. It helps to remember these 53 jackals represent well less than 50% of the population. This is not Democracy in action. This is the end state of decades of undermining our politics showing its ugly head in one area after another.

Edit: Personal side note. I'm heading back to the US this morning from Europe and I am fielding a lot of questions about what is going on here. People here pay attention and are often more informed than the idiots back home. Always interesting but they often get some 'color's because they have their right-wing issues too. Anyway, I'm in DC next week at a big event with government embedded people. I am sure I will hear some interesting nuggets there.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:21 pm This is worth listening to:

This is really good.

Also - it's really remarkable that Giuliani has tarnished his name to the extent that the first part of Schiff's remarks is "hey, isn't it crazy that Trump believed *Giuliani* on this stuff?"
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah he is excellent. It is a shame because this is a farce. I hope they are able to squeeze some advantage out of all this. My best guess is the day that they acquit he'll be most of the way through negotiations or a subpoena on Bolton. Hit the desk on the cover up front and prove it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Sounds like many of the senators who we were hopeful would vote for documents/witnesses have decided to use the false excuse of Schiff hurting their feelings for voting no. It turns out that all they needed was some crap pretext for their refusal to get more evidence. I’m shocked!
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

World's Greatest Deliberative Body! RIP 2020.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

malchior wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:48 am Yeah he is excellent. It is a shame because this is a farce. I hope they are able to squeeze some advantage out of all this. My best guess is the day that they acquit he'll be most of the way through negotiations or a subpoena on Bolton. Hit the desk on the cover up front and prove it.
Yep to both of those things. I can't even be bothered to pay attention tbh. What's the point? We all knew the outcome months ago before this thing even started. 40% think trump is the second coming, 40% wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire and I have never met any of the supposed 20% that live in the middle. So no reason to even keep up with this clown show:
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Holman

Post by Holman »

They've actually argued this morning that impeachment is unconstitutional.

I can't even.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I have to watch another video of Cruz or Graham rolling their eyes and complaining about what is arguably the single most important decision to be rendered for our country in the last century, I'm going to snap. I almost need it to be revealed that the GOP is all comprised - videos, money - whatever. Because at least then I could understand how they got to this point. Not that it makes it better, but it makes sense. If this is truly naked partisanship and they really believe Oooga Booga Democrats, then yeah, nothing matters anymore - we're done.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:56 am Sounds like many of the senators who we were hopeful would vote for documents/witnesses have decided to use the false excuse of Schiff hurting their feelings for voting no. It turns out that all they needed was some crap pretext for their refusal to get more evidence. I’m shocked!
They're so offended by the idea that they're scared of Trump that they're going to support Trump without question.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GungHo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:36 pm We all knew the outcome months ago before this thing even started. 40% think trump is the second coming, 40% wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire and I have never met any of the supposed 20% that live in the middle. So no reason to even keep up with this clown show:
This entire show trial is a battle for the hearts and minds of voters. Since the case against Trump is so overwhelming, his side of course doesn't want more evidence/testimony. There is no exculpatory evidence and everyone knows that. Democrats have eloquently made a clear, factual case, and now Republicans have to convince us that it doesn't matter.

As you said, most of us already sided with our tribe before this even began, and cannot be persuaded. (I break it down more like 32% R, 33% D, and 35% noncombatants.) Maybe some small fraction of the unengaged can be made to care. If they don't vote, or if they break the wrong way, then this republic deserves the end that's coming.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not actively following it from hour to hour. I'm just as invested in it as anyone, but the on-the-floor process is a frustrating farce. My blood pressure is fine with me getting the summary at the end of the day.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Then theres Tulsi. Im sure she's just waiting to sue someone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm Rot in hell, Pompeo.
When you thought it couldn't get worse-

https://www.state.gov/statement-by-secr ... E.facebook
Cocksplat Pompeo wrote:NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly lied to me, twice. First, last month, in setting up our interview and, then again yesterday, in agreeing to have our post-interview conversation off the record. It is shameful that this reporter chose to violate the basic rules of journalism and decency. This is another example of how unhinged the media has become in its quest to hurt President Trump and this Administration. It is no wonder that the American people distrust many in the media when they so consistently demonstrate their agenda and their absence of integrity.

It is worth noting that Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine.
I can only conclude Pompeo is the one who doesn't know where Ukraine is. Nothing a Sharpie can't fix.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:57 pm
Cocksplat Pompeo wrote: It is worth noting that Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine.
I can only conclude Pompeo is the one who doesn't know where Ukraine is. Nothing a Sharpie can't fix.
Yeah, that little dig has backfired. Kelly is widely respected as a reporter who has covered European politics and crises for more than 20 years. Pompeo is a dangerous ass who thinks actual history is tending towards the Apocalypse of John.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The insinuation that she mistook Bangladesh for Ukraine is laughable. If he was going to lie, at least claim something semi-believable (e.g. she pointed to another former Soviet state).
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is possible they meant Belarus but too incompetent to get their shade right.

In other news, Manchin is wavering. Trump badly wants a Dem to vote for acquittal. It would be a big bet for Manchin. It would force him out of the Democratic party eventually. He would be put.in a position to depend on Trump winning in the fall. In any case, it would be pretty bad for the nation so I expect it will happen.

In other other news, don't mind that Trump is threatening Schiff. NBD.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:17 am
In other other news, don't mind that Trump is threatening Schiff. NBD.

It's worse than that. He's calling for someone to extract the price. These guys are a lot softer targets than we think.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remember the GOP’s righteous indignation when Schiff implied that Trump was threatening them? That was yesterday.
Isgrimnur

The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So tired of the excuses.

“What he actually means is...”
“What he meant to say is...”
“He’s just rough around the edges.”
“I appreciate that he tells it like it is.”

The mental gymnastics required to continue to support this petulant asshole much be exhausting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

But I thought Trump was elected because he says what he means?

Anyway, once this theater is over in the Senate, I do hope the house Democrats are ready to drop the next round of Articles of Impeachment within 24 hours. Even better if it could be within the same day. The longer that Trump and the GOP are able to bleat on about how he was vindicated by the Senate, the more damage it will do. Instead, get them all angry and frothy over the idea that yet another set of charges have been filed. They're going to attack the Democrats when this is all over regardless; might as well have them focused on something relevant.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think immediate additional articles will work. However, they should subpoena Bolton and others and get as much of the evidence that was suppressed as possible and shove it down their throats.
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 pm So tired of the excuses.

“What he actually means is...”
“What he meant to say is...”
“He’s just rough around the edges.”
“I appreciate that he tells it like it is.”

The mental gymnastics required to continue to support this petulant asshole much be exhausting.
I think we (royal we) give them too much credit/deference at this point. They aren't exhausted because they don't care. We have to realize that these are not good people. The mock outrage. The posturing and bleating. They know what they are doing. They are white rage. They are power through ignorance. They aren't decent. Enough with this bullshit. Our nation is being consumed by evil and many of us do not want to face it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 pm The mental gymnastics required to continue to support this petulant asshole much be exhausting.
You'd think they'd be in better shape by now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Details from Bolton’s book have leaked.

They look bad for Trump.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Come on NYT, don't cock this up.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All these silly childish names the orange moron gives to people makes me wonder what his daddy called him.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:14 pm All these silly childish names the orange moron gives to people makes me wonder what his daddy called him.
Ted...sometimes Ed.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My only consolation in all this is that details are going to continue to come out, and they're all going to just shore up what we all know. And the more that comes out, the more the GOP is going to have to explain how they took an oath to be impartial jurors in a trial where they refused to look at evidence which kept mounting even after they acquitted.

The GOP counted on being able to dismiss this trial as a stunt, sweep it under the rug, and move on. Instead, they've painted themselves into a corner defending the indefensible. And I will enjoy every revelation that comes out from here until November. :pop:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And the red hats will continue to be blind. Nothing will change with them. I see posts on FB from people accepted as friends on there by me and my wife that make fun of Schiff and call him and the rest stupid liars and Trump is a good man. It wont matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm And the more that comes out, the more the GOP is going to have to explain how they took an oath to be impartial jurors in a trial where they refused to look at evidence which kept mounting even after they acquitted.
Explain to whom? Their base is 100% in the bag, and they don't care about anybody else. Denial and fake counter-charges are working just fine.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't care about their base, I care about everyone else. There *is* a middle ground out there, however small. And that small portion is going to decide every election from here on out. There has been a steady and growing shift in the number of Americans who not only support impeachment, but want Trump out. That didn't occur by happenstance, and it has happened regardless of what the base believes or doesn't believe.

If it didn't matter, and the GOP base had almighty control over every election, then we wouldn't be in this position because they would have kept the House in 2018.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The NY Times reports that Bolton's forthcoming book confirms that Bolton was in the loop on the fact that Ukraine aid was tied to an investigation announcement. Additionally, the WH was provided the manuscript months ago to vette it. So they knew that this story was coming for some time. The outcome is that chances of Senate led action on witnesses went up significantly. We will have to see if they'll double down on an ever more obvious sham.

Additionally a group of lawyers and a former Republican Congressman put together an OpEd arguing Roberts has the power to call witnesses based on the rules on impeachment that go back about 150 years. Nice theory but I have my doubts because the timeline has a way of running away from justice.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I hope, but in no way expect, that Bolton's book will make a difference. The GOP has this on a set of rails and they're not interested in switching tracks.

I admit, too, that while I listened to *some* of the House manager's setup last week, I have no intention of listening to even a moment of Trump's team. Both sides made their arguments clear at the outset, and I completely disagree with the concept of something being okay because it's not specifically illegal. We should be allowed to hold the leaders of the country to higher moral standings than the law normally dictates.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:14 pm All these silly childish names the orange moron gives to people makes me wonder what his daddy called him.
Pot, meet kettle........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Paingod wrote:and I completely disagree with the concept of something being okay because it's not specifically illegal.
This is straight from the Trump playbook. He's lived his entire life profiting from the gray areas of the law. Having his underlings do his crimes for him while he claims he never knew them. Exploiting the shadiest loopholes, pushing the limits of every law to its breaking point. He talks in code just like a mob boss, just as MIchael Cohen said.

It's supremely frustrating to see the Republican party in lockstep with what essentially amounts to a criminal empire. This is straight out of Goodfellas and anyone who isn't willfully ignorant knows it.