[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd have gone with Urumqi.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Hey Superman...buuuuuddy"

Now I want Pauly Shore in the DC cinematic world
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image === Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, I...wait...what?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, I thought that was in response to my Pauly Shore comment. Never mind.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pauly Shore could only be a California-transplant Jimmy Olsen.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I watched Godzilla vs Kong and I can say this for sure: it has the dumbest, most inane story I’ve seen in a big budget film in ages.

But in spite of the numerous times they make up a rule only to break it 10 minutes later, in spite of every adult in the film basically becoming Raymond Burr from the American version of the first Godzilla film, and in spite of the fact that it all comes down to
Spoiler:
Some kid trying to guess a password on a supercomputer...I shit you not
I had fun. It delivers on the promise of massive monsters bashing each other relentlessly. I kind of wish they hadn’t bothered to add a story, to be honest. But once I realized the film makes no goddamn sense whatsoever, I was able to just sit back and enjoy the spectacle.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Spoiler:
2 words. Magic. Axe.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
i believe it was made from one of Godzilla’s (or one of his species) dorsal fins....although that’s probably obvious. I hated it at first, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. The glowing floor it activated less so.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:28 pm Okay, I watched Godzilla vs Kong and I can say this for sure: it has the dumbest, most inane story I’ve seen in a big budget film in ages.

But in spite of the numerous times they make up a rule only to break it 10 minutes later, in spite of every adult in the film basically becoming Raymond Burr from the American version of the first Godzilla film, and in spite of the fact that it all comes down to
Spoiler:
I had fun. It delivers on the promise of massive monsters bashing each other relentlessly. I kind of wish they hadn’t bothered to add a story, to be honest. But once I realized the film makes no goddamn sense whatsoever, I was able to just sit back and enjoy the spectacle.
Yeah it was easily the dumbest movie I've seen but it definitely was fun.
Spoiler:
The sea battle had me goggling at the dumb. It was like someone said, how do we get them punching each other in the face on the something really cool. HOW ABOUT AN AIRCRAFT CARRIER!?! And then the quick realization that maybe we can fly there. Like in a few hours versus this 2-week journey. Huh. Who would have thought of that? And smash cut to Antarctica. :doh:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This spoiler filled article explains a few things. It's still full of big dumb moments, but at least the mythology is a little easier to swallow after reading that.

The director. Adam Wingard, is a great low budget horror filmmaker. I expected a lot more from him. But he may have been forced into adding all the really dumb stuff.

Ah well, like I said, it was still fun.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:11 am
Spoiler:
i believe it was made from one of Godzilla’s (or one of his species) dorsal fins....although that’s probably obvious. I hated it at first, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. The glowing floor it activated less so.
Spoiler:
Not so obvious to me, as I totally didnt even think of that. But now that you've mentioned it, it does make sense.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My wife loves big monster movies, and I loved not having to pay $30+ to see this in the theaters.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:28 pm Okay, I watched Godzilla vs Kong and I can say this for sure: it has the dumbest, most inane story I’ve seen in a big budget film in ages.

Spoiler:
It was a movie that just happened to have some humans in it that said some things. The cute deaf girl was the best of the humans followed by the podcast guy.

Otherwise...it...was...AWESOME! Monsters unleashing some whoop ass on each other is just fun to watch. :pop:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved that you could see everything. They really lit the movie well. The past two godzookie films were often too dark, in my opinion.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It was about the stupidest movie I've seen in a long time but the monster fights were fun. Still not sure the latter outweighs the former.

And btw, I have one pet peeve with these movies - why do pilots with long range guns/missiles fly so low that the monsters can swat them out of the air. The helos in "Skull Island" did this too, and it's getting tiring. I understand it looks cool but the last thing I'm going to do as a pilot is get within reach of a 800 foot tall monster. I can understand Godzilla using his breath or Kong throwing a tree/rock but swatting with a hand or tail. That's just stupid - but no less stupid than anything else in the movies so at least they are consistent.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grifman wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:25 pmwhy do pilots with long range guns/missiles fly so low that the monsters can swat them out of the air.
And lo did the inquisitor answer his own inquiry.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

John McClane vs an F-35
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If only there was some mechanism by which discussions of a specific topic could be collected and categorized in such a way as to make current and future efforts to contribute to and locate such discussions simpler.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My God, man! Computer AI of that magnitude would achieve sentience within a matter of minutes! I'd be a living battery in a synthetic flesh cocoon before I had a chance to say "I'll take that blue pi..."!
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:25 am If only there was some mechanism by which discussions of a specific topic could be collected and categorized in such a way as to make current and future efforts to contribute to and locate such discussions simpler.
+1
Hodor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:25 am If only there was some mechanism by which discussions of a specific topic could be collected and categorized in such a way as to make current and future efforts to contribute to and locate such discussions simpler.
If only there was some way for one to start such a specific topic if they so desired :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Godzilla vs Kong Pitch meeting. (Spoilery, duh.) #discussionofspecifictopicnowcollectedandcategorizedinsuchawayastomakecurrentandfutureeffortstocontributetoandlocatesuchdiscussionssimpler
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Watched the premier of The Nevers last night. To address the elephant in the room, it's very, very Weedonesque (Wheedony?). That's both good (he made some damn good TV) and bad (turns out he may well be an abusive asshole). Regardless, he's no longer associated with the show, having dropped out mid-season.

It's an interesting debut. Something happened 3 years ago (story time) that affected a number of women in London in the late 1890s, giving them unique gifts/curses (known as "Turns" in the show). These women are "The Touched", and one of them in particular is wreaking havoc as she's quite mad. The heroes of the show run an orphanage for Touched girls and women and try to keep them safe as they nurture their Turns. They're also quite interested in stopping the baddie (Meladie, I think her name is). Nick Frost shows up as a heavy (figuratively, although also . . . ). There was good action, quick dialog (Wheedon, you know), and the promise of sexy times (HBO, you know).

It's worth keeping an eye on for me. It'll be interesting see if/how it changes when Wheedon is out of the picture.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Sounds somewhat interesting. Once we are done with Irregulars I think I'll give it a try.

I just finished watching Warrior. It's a sort of spaghetti western kung fu movie. Supposedly based on some writings of Bruce Lee. There are two seasons and I really enjoyed it. I felt it was well written, well acted, and had great fight scenes (and a bit of sex as well). I wouldn't put it at the level of S1 of GoT or Deadwood but it's very, very good. I felt season two was better than season one.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Started watching Justice League. Watching it on my second monitor which is an older 4:3 monitor. Full screen. Still has black bars on the sides. SMH
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 am Sounds somewhat interesting. Once we are done with Irregulars I think I'll give it a try.

I just finished watching Warrior. It's a sort of spaghetti western kung fu movie. Supposedly based on some writings of Bruce Lee. There are two seasons and I really enjoyed it. I felt it was well written, well acted, and had great fight scenes (and a bit of sex as well). I wouldn't put it at the level of S1 of GoT or Deadwood but it's very, very good. I felt season two was better than season one.
From the showrunner for Banshee, which is also great, trashy fun. Also, it was based on an undeveloped concept by Bruce Lee. His daughter brought it to Cinemax and they bought it up. Sucks it only lasted two seasons though. I liked where they were going with it.
Watched the premier of The Nevers last night. To address the elephant in the room, it's very, very Weedonesque (Wheedony?). That's both good (he made some damn good TV) and bad (turns out he may well be an abusive asshole). Regardless, he's no longer associated with the show, having dropped out mid-season.
I also watched it and enjoyed it a great deal. Whedon used to be hailed as a champion of feminist shows and movies, and this show is another example of this. However, now we're being told he's actually a horrid sexist and racist. I'm not sure who to believe anymore.

I'm going to watch the show though. I'm too damned tired to sift through all the reporting/social media posts to find out what's true and what's not.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:20 pm Started watching Justice League. Watching it on my second monitor which is an older 4:3 monitor. Full screen. Still has black bars on the sides. SMH
Zach Snyder’s vision will not be denied!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 am Watched the premier of The Nevers last night. To address the elephant in the room, it's very, very Weedonesque (Wheedony?). That's both good (he made some damn good TV) and bad (turns out he may well be an abusive asshole). Regardless, he's no longer associated with the show, having dropped out mid-season.

It's an interesting debut. Something happened 3 years ago (story time) that affected a number of women in London in the late 1890s, giving them unique gifts/curses (known as "Turns" in the show). These women are "The Touched", and one of them in particular is wreaking havoc as she's quite mad. The heroes of the show run an orphanage for Touched girls and women and try to keep them safe as they nurture their Turns. They're also quite interested in stopping the baddie (Meladie, I think her name is). Nick Frost shows up as a heavy (figuratively, although also . . . ). There was good action, quick dialog (Wheedon, you know), and the promise of sexy times (HBO, you know).

It's worth keeping an eye on for me. It'll be interesting see if/how it changes when Wheedon is out of the picture.
Thanks, I hadn't heard about this, and it just went on my list. I've always been a fan of Whedon's premises, and this sounds like a fun one.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really enjoyed it. It has an outstanding end scene in the pilot that raises so many great questions.
Covfefe!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:11 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:20 pm Started watching Justice League. Watching it on my second monitor which is an older 4:3 monitor. Full screen. Still has black bars on the sides. SMH
Zach Snyder’s vision will not be denied!
Despite the dumb black bars I quite enjoyed it up until the epilogue. That part was a mess. Went from Yeah we win to
Spoiler:
whole world is dead. It's an alternat timeline. No it's a dream. No it's a teaser. Just pick one. And lose the really bad jokerr.
But overall, I quite enjoyed the 4 hours. I liked it better than Whedons version.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 am Sounds somewhat interesting. Once we are done with Irregulars I think I'll give it a try.

Wow, this was unexpected, but they just announced that they're making a season 3 of Warrior for HBO Max after all. :shock:
Covfefe!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 am

Wow, this was unexpected, but they just announced that they're making a season 3 of Warrior for HBO Max after all. :shock:
Good news, everyone!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 am There's a fight scene using a limo as the backdrop in season 3 episode 3 that it is so ludicrously savage and ridiculous that I still watch it every few months to this day.

The show earned pretty strong reviews from critics, but never reached the big audience numbers it deserved.

One reviewer summed it up perfectly I thought:
The series is a pure pulp amalgam of They Live, the films of John Woo, half the Vertigo comics library, and every direct-to-home-video action flick ever.
I just got to the limo episode! It’s like one of Daredevil’s hallway fight scenes but turned up to 12. I guess if you own a Rolls Royce you aren’t concerned about insurance covering the damage...

Spoiler:
Bummed that Nola was taken out so soon in the season...or was she? Banshee is rather improbable at times.
Black lives matter!

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:14 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 am There's a fight scene using a limo as the backdrop in season 3 episode 3 that it is so ludicrously savage and ridiculous that I still watch it every few months to this day.

The show earned pretty strong reviews from critics, but never reached the big audience numbers it deserved.

One reviewer summed it up perfectly I thought:
The series is a pure pulp amalgam of They Live, the films of John Woo, half the Vertigo comics library, and every direct-to-home-video action flick ever.
I just got to the limo episode! It’s like one of Daredevil’s hallway fight scenes but turned up to 12. I guess if you own a Rolls Royce you aren’t concerned about insurance covering the damage...

Spoiler:
Bummed that Nola was taken out so soon in the season...or was she? Banshee is rather improbable at times.
Is this Banshee? Didn't want to scroll back through the thread an undefined amount.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m still diggin’ The Nevers. The story just keeps getting better and better.

And of course the introduction of Nimble Jack hasn’t hurt.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

If you enjoy a semi-slow paced but extremely well acted (with realistic Pennsylvania accents!) crime/family drama, I highly recommend Mare of Eastwood. In spite of all the fun sci-fi and action shows I have floating around right now, the show I look forward to the most each week is Mare. I can't really explain why I enjoy it so much, but Kate Winslet is a treasure, and uh, yeah, I still have a crush on Evan Peters. Only 3 more episodes (I think 7 total), I will be sad when it ends.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:48 am
Isgrimnur wrote:You may have read tales of this place from Bill Harris and his readers.
Action Park is one of the most insane places I’ve ever been, but only in retrospect. As a teenager in the 80s and early 90s, it’s just where you went in the summer.

I am friends with a number of people who grew up in Vernon and worked at the park and their stories were nuts. F the Tarzan Swing pool.
The alpine sled thing to me is the most insane thing they had. Slap carts onto a concrete track going down a ski hill? Sure sounds awesome. I'm amazed that only one person died doing that one. It was super fun though.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com