[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by hepcat »

Insulting the Conjuring and Anabell films?

I kind of liked the first Conjuring, but most of the films in those franchises are your standard paint by number, big budget horror films. Everything that happens is telegraphed, and the scares are primarily cheap jump scares.

Also, in reading about the real couple behind the Conjuring series, I think it becomes clear they're basically a couple of hucksters. But that's of course just my personal take on the two.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oops, no sorry, my bad there...
I was replying to YK but failed to update/preview (I guess?) because I hadn't even seen your reply!

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:51 am Oh , you are not going to get away with that.
Was when I read YK say to you:
If you've never seen a 70s giallo film, I could see where you'd be scratching your head the entire film at the decisions he made.
So, I was (humorously) saying to YK that you were going to come back and let him have it...
(but that was actually also a failure of my own creation, as he wasn't addressing you!)
bleh
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, okay. Yeah, I think YK is on the same wavelength as myself on this. We're both huge horror film fans.

Speaking of which, Joe Bob Briggs Halloween special on October 8th on Shudder. Be there or be...well...not a huge nerd like YK and myself.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Incidentally I had my biggest Tweet ever due to this film (1200+ likes and counting so far). Which was just a toss-off tweet about James Wan saying "Hold my beer" when he made this movie. I've got the people who love it and the people who hated it fighting back and forth. It's pretty funny.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

PSA: if you don't have an active HBO Max sub, you can get 6 months of the ad-free plan at half price ($7.49 vs $14.99) this week.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finally finished season 2 of His Dark Materials, not realizing it is not a finished project. Allegedly season 3 will drop in 3rd quarter of 2022. That Mrs. Coulter is one mean ass bitch.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doom Patrol is back. First three episodes of season 3 are now available. It is still one of the best things on tv, in my opinion. :wub:

Also, this season they get Michelle Gomez. She made The Master fun and dangerous again. I’m sure she’ll bring that level of talent to this show.

Covfefe!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:40 am PSA: if you don't have an active HBO Max sub, you can get 6 months of the ad-free plan at half price ($7.49 vs $14.99) this week.
Tempted, but I watch so little TV on my own (most weeks, maybe 5-6 hours tops if that), and we have Netflix for the first time - watching Daredevil now (just about finished w/ Season 1), then the other marvel shows, that He-Man mini-series, maybe check out Voltron, the Witcher, few other shows that looked interesting.

Don't know when I'd actually get around to watching HBO to watch the rest of Teen Titans (I got to somewhere early/mid? season 2), maybe check out Doom Patrol, few more animated DC movies to watch, and probably other worthwhile stuff.

Cheaper long term to keep Netflix for now and get back to HBO when I'm ready I think.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:36 pm Young Justice and Harley Quinn alone are much better than anything animated that Marvel has ever done. Marvel just can’t compete when it comes to DC’s animated movies and tv shows.
I am now a HBO Max subscriber thanks to their recent 6 month promotion and I just started watching Harley Quinn last night. Holy underpants - you're not kidding. Frank the Plant might be my new favorite character and he has like two lines in the first episode. Very, very well written from what I've seen so far.

EDIT: The tone of the show feels like a bit of a mix between The Tick and The Venture Bros.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, why didn’t someone tell me season 4 of Young Justice has premiered? :wub:
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:41 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:01 pm What’s the consensus of Raised by Wolves? Watched the first episode yesterday and it was interesting enough, but seemed like it might have already resolved the most interesting conflict..
You may hear some mixed reviews but I rather liked the world the writers built and the androids themselves, especially Father. Give it a watch and decide for yourself! It kind of goes off the rails later in the story but in a totally gonzo entertaining way for me.
Season 2 of the batshit insane raised by wolves premiers feb 3.

I love the show because I have absolutely no clue where it’s going at any given time. It’s a complete surprise every week.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:43 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:41 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:01 pm What’s the consensus of Raised by Wolves? Watched the first episode yesterday and it was interesting enough, but seemed like it might have already resolved the most interesting conflict..
You may hear some mixed reviews but I rather liked the world the writers built and the androids themselves, especially Father. Give it a watch and decide for yourself! It kind of goes off the rails later in the story but in a totally gonzo entertaining way for me.
Season 2 of the batshit insane raised by wolves premiers feb 3.

I love the show because I have absolutely no clue where it’s going at any given time. It’s a complete surprise every week.
YES! I’m looking forward to hearing more of Father’s stand up routine!

Oh and there’s that small matter of that giant flying snake that was born in season one.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It really is batshit insane.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 of The Righteous Gemstones has started. Two new episodes are up. I love me some Danny McBride comedy. So awkward, so wrong, so funny.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:20 pm Season 2 of The Righteous Gemstones has started. Two new episodes are up. I love me some Danny McBride comedy. So awkward, so wrong, so funny.
Thanks for bringing this show to my attention - no idea it existed! Absolutely loved Eastbound and Down.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You've got a full season one to catch up on then. I envy you. :D

It's not as funny as Eastbound and Down, nor Vice Principals (that show was seriously underrated, in my opinion), but its entertaining as hell. I thought making fun of televangelists was played out at this point, but it makes me laugh all the same whenever McBride's character goes to 11 on the self importance scale.

It's also the perfect compliment to Succession. They share many of the same themes.

If you watch the show, know that Edi Patterson as Judy is goddamn comedy gold.

NSFW
Spoiler:
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:20 pm Season 2 of The Righteous Gemstones has started. Two new episodes are up. I love me some Danny McBride comedy. So awkward, so wrong, so funny.
Eric Andre is the perfect tonal fit for this show.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't even know that was him at first. I had heard the name in passing, but never watched his show. He's really good in this.

Although
Spoiler:
The real star of episode 2 of season 2 is the cameo from the Jonas brother's outfit. The oversized cowboy boots and weird poncho was hilarious. Also, everyone was dressed as the kind of Texan they thought everyone was. Andre's character was wearing a gun in a giant, goofy holster throughout the party scene.
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Random irritating aside about the HBO Max Roku app that I discovered the other night - when you pause, it puts a big overlay on the screen, making it impossible to see details at the pause point. 1/2 the time I pause a movie, it's to look at a specific detail I've missed. This irritates the hell out of me, but I don't think there is any way to solve it and it doesn't sound like the Roku app is a big priority for HBO. Sigh.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have something similar happen on shield tv with most apps. Just hitting the back button while the overlay is there and it's paused, removes the overlay without quitting out or resuming play though.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:23 am You've got a full season one to catch up on then. I envy you. :D

It's not as funny as Eastbound and Down, nor Vice Principals (that show was seriously underrated, in my opinion), but its entertaining as hell. I thought making fun of televangelists was played out at this point, but it makes me laugh all the same whenever McBride's character goes to 11 on the self importance scale.

It's also the perfect compliment to Succession. They share many of the same themes.

If you watch the show, know that Edi Patterson as Judy is goddamn comedy gold.

NSFW
Spoiler:
OK that video clip was awesome. Totally watching this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Edi Patterson steals every scene she's in. :wub:
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nothing like a little strip mall meltdown.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our Flag Means Death

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

IN!!!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was pleasantly surprised that season 2 of one of the best time travel police procedural shows, Beforeigners, had dropped on HBO! SKOL!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh, is it good? I saw the show advertised, but didn't give it a second look. If it's good, I'll give it a shot.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm Oooh, is it good? I saw the show advertised, but didn't give it a second look. If it's good, I'll give it a shot.
I think it's really good! So not to give spoilers the writers take the issue of immigration and assimilation and really run with it which you'll see right from the opening credits. And it's a great police procedural as well along with some X File-ish mystery and humor. The world building is impressive.
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

cool, thanks for the recommendation!
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

8 Bit Christmas looks really good. I think my wife got me my Nintendo that Christmas too. I recall it going into layaway. Of course I was 19 :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

8 Bit Christmas is no “The Christmas Story”, but I loved it and laughed quite a bit.

The 80’s references are spot on IMO, as they were for kids who grew up in the 60’s and Christmas Story.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just watched Nightmare Alley. Decent movie and an exceptional cast. Some peak Blanchett right there.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Didn’t realize that was coming to HBO Max. I’m watching it now. I love a movie that I have no idea what the story is. Plus, it’s the great Guillermo Del Toro.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I watched The Last Duel last weekend. I enjoyed it, though there are of course some difficult scenes since the story
Spoiler:
hinges on a rape.
I'm a sucker for pretty much any movie that takes place during this time period (14th Century) and to my untrained eye they seemed to get most things pretty spot on, with the exception of everyone having nice teeth. And apparently the movie follows the historical events as best as we can tell.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The biggest issue I had with the authenticity of The Last Duel was a scene where the wives were talking about how handsome Adam Driver was.

Seriously though, I loved that movie.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

McNutt wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:37 am The biggest issue I had with the authenticity of The Last Duel was a scene where the wives were talking about how handsome Adam Driver was.

Seriously though, I loved that movie.
:D

I mean, did you see the hair of the other men in the movie? Comparatively, he was an Adonis.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hey don't sell short the first mullet in recorded history.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter