Re: Hades

Post by pr0ner »

Blasted poison rats in Styx....
Hodor.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 am

Also, is there anywhere that keep stats on how many runs, how many encounters, how many enemies killed, etc.? Someone mentioned upthread that their best run was 27 rooms, just wondering how they knew that.
There is a decoration you can get for the princes quarters that does that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My memory is there are two places you can check stats. The first one unlocks outside of princes quarters where you can overlook the dead area. It's very early in the game and very basic set of details. The second one after you unlock an area, that may or may not be spolierish so...
Spoiler:
The records room zagarus is supposed to be running eventually gives you a very detailed view of what he has done. I don't know the trigger but it is pretty deep in to the runs.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finally reached a turning point where I can get to Elysium pretty much every time, regardless of what weapons or boons I have. It's amazing that after 30+ runs I never feel frustrated or even bored. Their ability to dole out *just* enough variety and character advancement every run to keep you hooked is pretty genius.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Fourteen runs and finally made it past the Bone Hydra using the spear...then almost to the next boss. There's definitely a point where improving skill makes the encounters between bosses easier. Each time I pass a new boss, it only takes a couple tries getting caught off-guard by new enemies or environmental hazards before I can consistently make it to the next boss again. I'm also making a point to try all the weapons, which slows my progress toward the end. If I stick with the same weapon all the time, I think I could make it all the way through much more quickly.

I still feel like I'm just scratching the surface though...
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Got past Hades on my 16th run and only had to use one of my three death defiances. Had some great synergetic abilities with the special shield ability: high critical chance with the special, damage when I catch the special, and extra homing missiles that were shot whenever my special did damage. But for bosses, the key was my call ability that did 2500 damage when at the full meter and abilities that made the meter start 1/4 full and fill faster. I ended up hitting Hades with that fully charged ability 4 or 5 times.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

After sixteen runs, I made it to the end of Elysium but couldn't finish off the boss...but I did find Aspects unlocked when I got back to my chambers. Unfortunately, there's a hurricane bearing down on CT, I'm leaving to go camping in NH in the morning, and I made arrangements to ship my Series X out for repair of the ethernet port while I'm away.

Just after I made it to the end of Elysium, and died facing the boss for the first time, I had to unhook my Xbox and pack it up for shipping back to MS. This game has its hooks in me big time, but it will likely be a few weeks before I can play again

Last edited by disarm on Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Made it through for a second time, again with the shield, but this time also with a Pact of Punishment. I’m now pretty confident that I can get out of Hades regularly if using the shield, but I’ve struggled with the other weapons. In fact, I don’t think I’ve made it past Theseus and the Minotaur with any other weapon. Need more practice and buffs for them.

But now I have three diamonds and am not sure what to spend them on. I’ve already got the fishing rod, music stand, and deluxe contractor desk. Any recommendations for other improvements?
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Tried one run last night with the bow and had my first fight with
Spoiler:
Charon
, who I didn't even know you could fight. I got my ass handed to me.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That was an awesome surprise. Part of the excellence of the game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone have insight on why my copy of Hades shows as "HADES - Test Branch" on my desktop shortcut? I never downloaded a beta or anything. Just bought it fairly recently.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:57 am Anyone have insight on why my copy of Hades shows as "HADES - Test Branch" on my desktop shortcut? I never downloaded a beta or anything. Just bought it fairly recently.
Go to properties for the game (right click from Library in Steam) and check the Beta tab. You may have a beta branch selected, clear that and it should update to the release version.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:32 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:57 am Anyone have insight on why my copy of Hades shows as "HADES - Test Branch" on my desktop shortcut? I never downloaded a beta or anything. Just bought it fairly recently.
Go to properties for the game (right click from Library in Steam) and check the Beta tab. You may have a beta branch selected, clear that and it should update to the release version.
Thanks, but I bought this via Epic. I tried to see if there was a similar option as you mentioned with Steam, but nay.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:28 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:32 am
Thanks, but I bought this via Epic. I tried to see if there was a similar option as you mentioned with Steam, but nay.
On Epic they are generally separate entries in your libraries. I've seen that for a few games. Check to see that you installed the right one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I emailed support, which replied in about 7 minutes (!). Asked me to verify the install (which I was already doing), and if that didn't work to uninstall/reinstall game.

I *think* the verify worked because I don't see an indication in the game (but the shortcut didn't change). I am running version 1.38177, and tried to find the latest version via the Steam pages but didn't see reference to that. If anyone using the Steam version of Hades can confirm your version number, I'd appreciate it!

I actually spent time reading the patch notes but they don't list the version numbers there for some reason. :grund:
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm also on epic but running 38179-x64.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

No one told me that
Spoiler:
Hades regenerates himself. Fucker!
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Keep goin'.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:13 am No one told me that
Spoiler:
Hades regenerates himself. Fucker!
That got me the first time, too.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:26 amKeep goin'.
If I don't switch over to Psychonauts 2 instead!
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Got through Hades last night with the rail gun for the first time. And over the weekend got through with the fists. Have now "beaten" the game 4 times out of 27 attempts (2 shield, 1 fist, 1 rail gun). I think the spear will be next on my agenda, although I still haven't unlocked the hidden aspects of any weapon nor have I figured out how you get a companion, so it seems there's still a lot left for me to discover.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:40 am Got through Hades last night with the rail gun for the first time. And over the weekend got through with the fists. Have now "beaten" the game 4 times out of 27 attempts (2 shield, 1 fist, 1 rail gun). I think the spear will be next on my agenda, although I still haven't unlocked the hidden aspects of any weapon nor have I figured out how you get a companion, so it seems there's still a lot left for me to discover.
For the companions, talk to all the NPCs often.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think (?) I talk to every NPC after every run. But do I need to keep giving them nectar? With some exceptions, I've given most NPCs only one vial.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:34 am I think (?) I talk to every NPC after every run. But do I need to keep giving them nectar? With some exceptions, I've given most NPCs only one vial.
Yes.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Darn - I've been saving my nectar for Achilles for some reason I can't remember now, but I've gotten to the point where he won't take it anymore. Guess it's time to start spreading the love around.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:57 am Darn - I've been saving my nectar for Achilles for some reason I can't remember now, but I've gotten to the point where he won't take it anymore. Guess it's time to start spreading the love around.
I don't want to spoil anything, so I will just say that as long as you are happy to keep making runs, you will have 'enough' nectar (and ambrosia). Also, each NPC has its own point(s) at which they stop and then restart accepting gifts.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My memory is that you have directory wherein you can look up what you know about everything in the world and it will give you an idea how how many gifts your contacts can take. As to what that gifting will do, if you want it spoiled there were many places on the intrawebs that would do that for you.

I spread the love around, even gifting Bouldy. I never finished. I did it because I liked to see exactly how much story was there. There is a lot of narrative to be enjoyed and I quite enjoyed it. Much more than I do with most games where the story is just an overlay to the performance of game mechanics.

Even though I never got to the real ending (like the ending part III, I guess), one day I might start over to re-read the game, as it were.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Well damn...got my Xbox back from being repaired, but something happened to my cloud save and I lost a bunch of progress. I had completed 16 runs and just opened up aspects, but my save only shows three now

Given that the game is all about replaying the same things over and over anyway, it's not a huge deal, but it doesn't stink that I have to spend time unlocking the same things again instead of experiencing something new. Oh well...
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I still have one NPC I need to give nectar to for their gift. The problem is I don’t know who it is since they are listed as undiscovered.

In other news, I had another successful run with the shield. Now 6 for 28 overall. I always find it a bit disappointing that beating Hades just gets you more Titan’s Blood.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

After three runs in a row where I died to Hades, the last one where I went in with full health and death defiances, I got one back in the win column with the fists. Have no gotten out of Hades 7 times. From what I've read here, three more go until I get some sort of ending.

I still have a bunch of things to unlock though. Finally got my first hidden weapon aspect - for the spear - but it seems not so great? Maybe it'll be better after upgrades. I'm still companionless, but hopefully my constantly plying Drusa with nectar will eventually lead to something.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 amFinally got my first hidden weapon aspect - for the spear - but it seems not so great? Maybe it'll be better after upgrades.
Spoiler:
It's certainly harder to use than the others. I think it's -70% life/healing initially, and -50% after upgrades? At 50% it's much more usable IMO, but it's very easy to make relatively minor mistakes and end up dead.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think I hit my limit on this one. Finally got to Hades but kind of lost the desire to keep going after that. I'll probably keep it installed (at least as long as it's on GamePass) to knock out a run here and there as the mood strikes me, but I'm not playing it obsessively anymore.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Had another successful run last night, again with the shield. I'm now up to 8 successful runs, I think. My understanding is that some sort of final (but not the true?) ending occurs on the 10th win. I certainly can see the story building to some sort of finality.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Got through Hades for the 10th time yesterday to get the credits ending. I was a bit worried since I was down a death defiance and my build wasn't the best, so I was happily surprised when
Spoiler:
I didn't have to actually fight Hades.
I beat it once more after that ending to see how things changed. I still have a lot of things to unlock, but I think I'm close to done with the game for now. Final (for now) tally: 11 escapes in 39 attempts. Have escaped with all the weapons but the spear and the bow. Unlocked one companion:
Spoiler:
damn that Skelly!
I'm not sure how much time I've put into the game, but definitely feels like I got my money's worth.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

After a break for a couple weeks and a couple of early aborted runs due to messing around too much, I easily got back to Hades three times in a row. Where he proceeded to kick my ass into oblivion three times in a row. No idea what I'm doing wrong at that point, but clearly whatever it is isn't working!
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 am After a break for a couple weeks and a couple of early aborted runs due to messing around too much, I easily got back to Hades three times in a row. Where he proceeded to kick my ass into oblivion three times in a row. No idea what I'm doing wrong at that point, but clearly whatever it is isn't working!
Spoiler:
Random tips for Hades himself:
-Use the terrain to your advantage (specifically the columns), especially during the 'latter part'
-Timing your attacks to hit in-between Hades' big ones, then dash away, is key.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon's tips are key, but a lot of it will come down to your build and health/death defiances when getting to him. When possible, I try get Aphrodite's call, which hits for 2500 at full power (I never use it not at full power). I also try to have abilities that can hit him from a distance, since many of his attacks are close range, and abilities that can cause damage when dashing. Then I just keep my distance and spam attacks. Also, I generally try to take out the skull things he throws out before they can explode.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:36 amAlso, I generally try to take out the skull things he throws out before they can explode.
Good one. That does help a ton.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Yeah, for whatever reason, my hit and run strategies that I employ for Elysium don't feature nearly enough of the running to stay away from Hades. I'll have to go into my next bout a lot more cautiously.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Are you guys playing this with a controller or KB + mouse?