Baldur's Gate 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 (now confirmed)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scoop20906 wrote:Just wondering how it looks since they limit the streaming resolution to 1080p.
I can answer that with no personal experience:

Unless you are playing on a 19” monitor or below, it’s going to look like ass.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don’t typically do EA games, but have to admit this one was a bit intriguing.

After reading all the feedback, I can wait.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:32 pm
Scoop20906 wrote:Just wondering how it looks since they limit the streaming resolution to 1080p.

Given that I've never owned a display device capable of more than 1080, I'm not sure I'd notice. And games, movies, and shows don't look like ass right now...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:32 pm

Ah! I should have realized this. Its a bummer you have to pay $9.99 per month plus full price $59.99. I guess you are paying for the convenience of running it on any machine and not having to worry about your specs. I had the free pro trial and I was happy with the performance but there werent any games in the catalogue I wanted to get until now. I guess I will sit on the fence for a while longer.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

About 10 minutes in and I'm loving it so far. I like how you get to actually roll a 20 sided die on skill checks. Made one rookie mistake in my first battle - aimed the bow at the little red circle instead of the baddie. :roll: Keep your eyes out for restoration thingies.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've wiped twice already, after winning the fights, by wandering into residual clouds of poison or pools of acid. :horse:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:56 pm I've wiped twice already, after winning the fights, by wandering into residual clouds of poison or pools of acid. :horse:
105 years, and some lessons are forgotten.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:11 pm
Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:56 pm I've wiped twice already, after winning the fights, by wandering into residual clouds of poison or pools of acid. :horse:
105 years, and some lessons are forgotten.
That was a real problem in the Gold Box games with NPC characters. I remember in Curse of the Azure Bonds that Alias got herself killed in my game because she repeatedly ran back and forth inside of a Cloud Kill spell that I had cast.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if they'll patch in real time pause combat in years to come? If so Ill get it then for $10
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's unfortunate that it's likely to be years before I play this, since it's not going to work on either my Surface Pro 3 or my Xbox One.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm past the opening area now. It is starting to feel more like DOS3 than BG3, but that's cool with me. At least you don't start in that steenking prison.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really want to play this, but early access at 59.99? Hell no... I'll wait for the full release as I'm too lazy to even see what would be missing right now. If you are doing early access you could at least do 10% off... :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This does raise some big red flags for me, as quest overload with little direction is the primary reason I have never finished any of the modern crop of CRPGs (DOS, PoE. Tyranny, Torment, etc.)
Baldur’s Gate 3, on the other hand, immediately drops you into an open area more akin to Divinity Original Sin 2's larger second and third chapters. Within 30 or so minutes of my arrival, I’d already collected three party members. After 30 more minutes, I’d collected two more. I’d also been pointed in the direction of several different people who could potentially vacuum the brain worms out of my head, each of whom were directly or indirectly tied to different characters in my party. I barely knew any of my party members and was given no time to get to know them individually. Every time I made a decision, the top corner of my screen erupted into a torrent of “[Party member] disapproves.” On one hand, this forced me to behave the way I normally would, rather than to earn specific characters’ approval, but I also just felt like I was screwing up all the time, no matter where I went or what I did.

This drowning feeling was compounded by the fact that Baldur’s Gate 3 didn’t give me much in the way of direction. Yes, I had a goal, but my objectives were littered across a huge map, and characters argued about how I should solve them. It didn’t help that the game didn’t do much to explain itself. There were a series of tutorial tooltips, but they only gave me the barest basics of how crucial mechanics like combining spell elements and splitting my party worked.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im worried Larian isn't the studio for this. Their games are different than the old BG ones. Obsidian might have been better. Bioware sure the hell isn't the one to make anything good in a decade or so'ish. I wouldn't hand Bioware a can of sardines to open.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It isn't 1998 anymore. Nobody is going to make them in that same style because they wouldn't sell. A lot of the changes have been improvements. I mean, I love BG1 and 2 (and IWD, etc.) but the inventory management was a nightmare!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pillars of Eternity is basically BG3 and is great. It can be done.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I read in the Steam discussions that the rolling of stat points will eventually be implemented (apparently it's a thing in 5e). Now THAT'S the Baldur's Gate experience.

At that point I will hopefully be able to use multiplayer to create a custom party.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:14 pm I read in the Steam discussions that the rolling of stat points will eventually be implemented (apparently it's a thing in 5e).
It's a secondary option, yes.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Well I was enjoying it very much. I liked the occasional roll for dexterity and whatnot, but now the game won't even start for me. It gets past the Larian splash screen, starts progress on the loading bar, and CTD, every time, even if I choose DX11. I suppose I'll wait for the next fix.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:48 pmPillars of Eternity is basically BG3 and is great. It can be done.
I've started PoE maybe three or four times now. I get 4-6 hours into it and I get distracted and leave.

I want to love the game. I just can't get into it.

RPG's have a long-held place in my gamer's heart, but I have had tremendous difficulty sticking with them for more than a few evenings. My last foray into Pathfinder: Kingmaker was prolonged, but wore into a grind that I got bored with.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm really looking forward to BG3, and I'm following along, but I'm taking everything with a grain of salt. I've played enough alpha and beta level titles to know that they're not always what you get with a full release. And no doubt Larian has people just reading through all the boards, taking note of the criticisms and how many times each idea crops up.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Thank you all for the impressions. I'm in; just not today.

I'm too old and too grouchy to pay that much for 6 of 12 classes and a cupful of bugs. I think the way I experience an RPG is more like reading a book and I see no reason to read a first draft if I can just want for the final edit.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:31 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:48 pmPillars of Eternity is basically BG3 and is great. It can be done.
I've started PoE maybe three or four times now. I get 4-6 hours into it and I get distracted and leave.

I think the setting is what causes many Baldur's Gate players to initially bounce off PoE1. The unfamiliar but lore-dense setting of PoE1 comes across as much more muted than Forgotten Realms so the amount of exposition can seem overwhelming at first. The pacing of the game does little to help, as it necessarily starts off slowly with fights against weak creatures and more than a few boring fetch quests and such. So I strongly suggest ignoring the characters with coloured names in the first town. Because they were designed by the backers of the game and are not needed to enjoy it at all (amusingly, they were so unpopular that one of the DLCs adds a reward for murdering them). Or if you prefer, you can use the IE Mod to "Disable Backer Dialogs." Speaking of the more muted nature of PoE1, I also recommend installing the Neutral Shaders of Eternity SweetFX preset to improve the visual colour and vibrancy of the game.

Suffice to say, if you can push past the slow start, the lore of Pillars of Eternity is absolutely terrific and well worth putting in the time and effort to enjoy the overall experience the game provides.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:31 am

RPG's have a long-held place in my gamer's heart, but I have had tremendous difficulty sticking with them for more than a few evenings. My last foray into Pathfinder: Kingmaker was prolonged, but wore into a grind that I got bored with.
This is me exactly. I have started it, I *WANT* to love it, but for some reason I just can't. It might be the odd classes that I just don't get. I mean, the ones you think would be the tank aren't, and the ones you think would make the worst tank are the ones everyone suggests. Who puts a bard as the tank? And yet here I am, reading how the ChanterTank is actually a thing...\

Either way, I've leapt into BG3 and I'm enjoying it. There are some wonky things to be sure, from odd camera angles that suddenly plunge me into the wall or even under a hill when I rotate the view to enemies getting stuck in a bush and I can't hit them with ranged spells. But this *is* early access, after all, and I'm probably not even going to go all the way through the provided material. I just wanted to see how the different classes played. So far, I'm really liking my teifling warlock. Cliche, but it still plays strong. Next one is going to be a ranger, most likely.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I enjoyed PoE but eventually got frustrated when I had all the best equipment and was still getting owned in battle in short order. I ended up using health cheats just to finish the game.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a lot wrong with modern rpgs granted. Pathfinder was going great until I saw I could move an inch on the travel map then be tired and need to camp. I HATE camp and food mechanics in game. Pillars gave me fits until this go and its clicking but yes I dont care for the way characters work. Id like the plain old tried and true classes. Tyranny was ok but it wore off for some reason and I left. Original Sin was ok until I actually had to pick and choose companions conversation lines amongst themselves. I felt like I was talking to myself. ALL new rpgs fail on some basic level that they didn't need to.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I thought the hunger/weariness worked okay in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I went a lot further than an inch. I also tended to keep going until the whole party was ready to drop. :think:
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:38 pm I thought the hunger/weariness worked okay in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I went a lot further than an inch. I also tended to keep going until the whole party was ready to drop. :think:
Yeah, there's even a couple of items or feats that prevent a character from ever being fatigued, so I basically used that to drag my party along. Granted we'd get ambushed sometimes and that cost me, but...

I still lost steam probably about 2/3 of the way through that game (by the time when you get past the festival/tournament thing and have to push further west).
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just because you can add a thing to a game doesn't mean you should add a thing. Hunger and camping and tiredness add nothing but frustration and is a mechanic to slow you down and make a small game feel longer. Its so annoying. If I know of it before time I dont bother. If I find out when playing I get a refund.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I don't feel as strongly about it, but yeah, I generally agree. Also throw "crafting" onto that pile (with a few exceptions like the "Flail of Ages"). When I play a fantasy RPG, I want to whack orcs and rail party members, not harvest goat testicles and count ration packs.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

haha goat testicles. Could start your own food joint.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:49 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:38 pm I thought the hunger/weariness worked okay in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I went a lot further than an inch. I also tended to keep going until the whole party was ready to drop. :think:
Yeah, there's even a couple of items or feats that prevent a character from ever being fatigued, so I basically used that to drag my party along.
Not just that, but you will also unlock a fast travel option you can use to teleport between your towns. Once you build them I doubt there's a place on the map that's more than a single 'camp' away from home. I don't mind the camping. The game requires a sleep mechanic while traveling to allow abilities to recharge and spells to be memorized (just like Baldur's Gate, where you'd often arrive at new locations fatigued, which was a pain.) The only thing that I find annoying about it is the high weight of camping supplies (10lb/person/day), although that's offset soon enough by bags of holding, too.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:53 pm Just because you can add a thing to a game doesn't mean you should add a thing. Hunger and camping and tiredness add nothing but frustration and is a mechanic to slow you down and make a small game feel longer. Its so annoying. If I know of it before time I dont bother. If I find out when playing I get a refund.
Although, I think it can be interesting sometimes. I think survival mode added a bit of immersion to Fallout 4 (it was 4, right?). I used the cold/food mod for Skyrim, but that one did eventually get a bit old. Though usually you reach a point where you have enough clothes/food/water/etc. that those types of mods stop being relevant.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used the cold mod for Skyrim but removed it and wont use it in the future. The ladies cover their modded bodies up in cloaks hahaha...the breath is cool though.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I might not have minded so much except that was the playthrough that I went for a mage start in the far north. I could barely make it to town without freezing to death. Made for a realllllllllly slow start to the game. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a game called Realms of Arkania: Star Trail that I played and I tried about 15 goes and every time my party died at the start due to catching a cold or freezing. Needless to say Ive not touched it since the 90s and never will.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pmI don't mind the camping. The game requires a sleep mechanic while traveling to allow abilities to recharge and spells to be memorized
I think that's what made it perfectly acceptable to me. In the D&D setting, you never leave town with an empty backpack with plans to delve into a dungeon for a week. You plan and prep and camp. You only travel maybe 8-10 hours per day. It's been that way since I started back in the late 1980's.

I never even considered that it should have been excluded. It belonged in the setting. I was playing a Pen & Paper RPG, after all.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I guess the thing about camping/food is that it's only really relevant in terms of providing extra challenge at low character levels. Which is also where it's most obnoxious, because you're already one good goblin slap away from a total party wipe and a game reload. Once you can take a splinter to the foot without dying, you've also probably got enough money to buy iron rations or whatever, so it becomes a non-issue once you're slinging around "+4 sword of Otyugh slaying" and are regularly selling off piles of +1 and +2 equipment.

However, camping is useful to include if you have a good amount of party banter that happens during said camping session (which it does in Pathfinder Kingmaker, so it's fairly tolerable). As I recall, you also can cook food that gives you various bonuses, which winds up being hilarious, as you start hunting down rare and mystical creatures just so you can cut them up and toss them in the pot for a +2 AC bonus for 8 hours. "This magical creature is the last of its kind, and we have killed it. The world is lessened by its passing, but we must defend the people of our realm." [single tear]. "Ok, cut off the thigh and into the pot with it, this thing gives +4 to hit against reptilian enemies for 16 hours".
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:49 pm
Yeah, there's even a couple of items or feats that prevent a character from ever being fatigued, so I basically used that to drag my party along. Granted we'd get ambushed sometimes and that cost me, but...

I still lost steam probably about 2/3 of the way through that game (by the time when you get past the festival/tournament thing and have to push further west).
I got to 95% and they pulled the rug out from under me in such a dramatic way that it made the end game not worth slogging through.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I got my party to level 4 (max for early access), after my first major battle.
Spoiler:
Gut, the goblin princess. She made the fatal mistake of taking me alone to her chambers, allegedly to help me remove the worm. But after she made the rest of my party step outside, she betrayed me and called for her minions. Reload. This time in her chambers, instead of talking, I preemptively attacked and took her out in one round. Then I set up a choke point at her door before her minions could reach me. After the battle, I went out of the room and noticed a barrel of black powder in the corner. Hmmmm.....
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter