Baldur's Gate 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 (now confirmed)

Post by Jaymann »

Too bad I dislike Bards AND gnomes. But I can dig improvements to rangers and rogues. And I sure as heck will not waste a feat on performance.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ugh just tell me when the final game is going to be released.

But maybe I just don't get this Early Access type of model.

Also those damn kids won't get off my lawn.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:33 pm ugh just tell me when the final game is going to be released.

But maybe I just don't get this Early Access type of model.

Also those damn kids won't get off my lawn.
Same here. A full price Early Access game? I don't get it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For me, I just don’t understand why anyone would want to play bits and pieces of the game over and over again as new stuff is added…only to start anew when it is released. And honestly, if there’s one thing I’ve learned about Larian Studios, it’s this: there will be an enhanced edition and a definitive edition before long. So I’m going to hold out this time.

p.s. I’m not complaining about their astounding support for their games. I’m just saying I can’t play one game that many times. I will eventually get this though because I want to support their fantastic work.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think of it as a preorder with a 'bonus' of early access. But except for a few types of games (like some sandbox games), I don't touch them for the same general reason. I want to have the entire experience, not the first third of it multiple times.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:32 pm For me, I just don’t understand why anyone would want to play bits and pieces of the game over and over again as new stuff is added…only to start anew when it is released. And honestly, if there’s one thing I’ve learned about Larian Studios, it’s this: there will be an enhanced edition and a definitive edition before long. So I’m going to hold out this time.

p.s. I’m not complaining about their astounding support for their games. I’m just saying I can’t play one game that many times. I will eventually get this though because I want to support their fantastic work.
Yeah if the saves could be playable when the final game is released, I could see going for that. But not up for Groundhog Day early release access.

It's also the kind of thing where it shouldn't bother me just because this model isn't for me, and I should let other people who do enjoy it do their thing, but you know...people.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:32 pm For me, I just don’t understand why anyone would want to play bits and pieces of the game over and over again as new stuff is added…only to start anew when it is released. And honestly, if there’s one thing I’ve learned about Larian Studios, it’s this: there will be an enhanced edition and a definitive edition before long. So I’m going to hold out this time.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I enjoy trying out different class/race combos before committing to the whole game. Plus I will know all the Act 1 quests and secret areas inside out from the get go. At this point I only await Monk and level cap to 5 before diving in again.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

+1. Definitely not my thing. As much as I'd like to give it another look (I imagine they've ironed out the rather catastrophic bugs I encountered when I tried it last year) there's no way I'm playing through large chunks of the game again. That kills my interest faster than pretty much anything.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:09 pm
+1. Definitely not my thing. As much as I'd like to give it another look (I imagine they've ironed out the rather catastrophic bugs I encountered when I tried it last year) there's no way I'm playing through large chunks of the game again. That kills my interest faster than pretty much anything.
Agreed. I've already bought it, and I played what they had out way back when. I uninstalled it and won't reinstall until it's released.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:04 pm

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I enjoy trying out different class/race combos before committing to the whole game. Plus I will know all the Act 1 quests and secret areas inside out from the get go. At this point I only await Monk and level cap to 5 before diving in again.
I’m with you. But ONLY for this specific kind of game. I can assure you I will start and restart way too many times before I ‘settle’ on a party that feels right (unless they’ve completely changed the formula).

Otherwise, I stay far away from early access.

Not saying I will buy it in early access, just that I’m going to play the first part of the game many times, so the downside of EA is not there.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

But, where the *hell* are the pantaloons?!?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Patch is an utter disaster and a major step backwards. Constant crashes (for example if you use found food to camp). Plus for me heavy lag and stuttering sound. :(
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Mercer does a very good Minsc!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huh. Isn't it neat how he loved it his entire life then ended up getting to be the voice now. Thats a journey itself. I love it. He sounds good as it.

Ill have to see who the original was. Ive done those lines myself lol. I remember all the old portfolios of the characters being based off known people like Angelina Jolie and Minsc was Peter DeLuise to me. It was such a fun time.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Patch #9 - Holy Knight
HIGHLIGHTS
  • Added the paladin class with the Oath of the Ancients and Oath of Devotion subclasses. Added the hidden Oathbreaker subclass, which triggers if you break your oath.
  • Increased the level cap to Level 5.
  • Added the Fly spell.
  • Revamped the Reactions system.
  • Rebalanced combat encounters in late Act 1.
  • Added new spells and spell scrolls.
  • Added a ping system, usable outside of combat and during your turn in combat.
  • Overhauled the tooltips.
  • Extended Combat Cams to player and enemy melee Critical Hits, summons, Wild Shapes, and several spells and abilities.
  • Added Command spell variants.
  • Made Minthara a paladin.
  • You can now delete save files by playthrough.
  • You can now dismiss summons with a dedicated action.*
  • Added a new Level Up button and improved visual cues for levelling.
  • Added female human and elf heads to Character Creation.
  • Characters who attempt to play an instrument they're not Proficient with now fail spectacularly.
  • Removed non-wizard spell scrolls from NPCs except Revivify, Summon Quasit, True Resurrection, and Speak with Dead.
  • Added shop triggers. If you try to pick up items owned by certain traders, they will offer to trade.
  • Mage Hand no longer prevents you from summoning Ranger's Companions and familiars.
  • Made quarterstaffs Versatile.*
  • You now accrue dirt and blood more slowly, Prone makes you a bit dirtier, and Wet cleans you.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Downloading patch now.

Paladins look OP for the nonce.

Level 5 at last! FIREBALL!

Full release August, 2023.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

As a challenge I created a paladin party and got it to level 5 before exploring the Underdark. Paladins are interesting, but there are so many variations of smite, and you can only use one of them per battle, so they are difficult to evaluate. Has not changed my mind on my ultimate party. Too bad monk will not be available until full release. Also I have learned from other Larian games that you can knock yourself out getting all the best items in Act I (which of course I do) only to see them eclipsed when you get to act II.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Release date: August 31, 2023.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I avoided early access, so I am asking - will it be ready? Is it a good successor?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:50 pm I avoided early access, so I am asking - will it be ready? Is it a good successor?
My guess is it will be ready after more than 3 years since the initial EA release. In many ways I like it better than BG 1 & 2. Better weapons and equipment. More customizable party. Immense open world that you can play in any order you see fit. Your choices make a difference, in some cases huge. Pickpocket works and is a game changer. If a boss is too tough or has too many friends, you can use barrels of explosives to level the playing field.

The only thing I miss is not being able to re-roll your stats.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:23 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:50 pm I avoided early access, so I am asking - will it be ready? Is it a good successor?
My guess is it will be ready after more than 3 years since the initial EA release. In many ways I like it better than BG 1 & 2. Better weapons and equipment. More customizable party. Immense open world that you can play in any order you see fit. Your choices make a difference, in some cases huge. Pickpocket works and is a game changer. If a boss is too tough or has too many friends, you can use barrels of explosives to level the playing field.

The only thing I miss is not being able to re-roll your stats.
It's got a very similar vibe tactics wise to Divinity Original Sin 2, which in my book is a great thing. The story is also super interesting from what I've seen of act 1.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm extremely glad to hear there's a release in sight. After my rather disastrous dip into the EA waters two years ago, I've been avoiding the urge to give the EA version another shot. I've heard there have been major improvements but I simply can't bring myself to start playing an unfinished RPG, especially one as epic as this.

Between Diablo 4, Final Fantasy XVI, and now BG3, it's going to be a really busy gaming summer.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Have we always known that this was a PS5 exclusive on console, or is that new information?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:20 am Have we always known that this was a PS5 exclusive on console, or is that new information?
Did it say that in the trailer? I must have missed it.

I’ll definitely be playing in console. Larian did an excellent job porting over DOS2, and it became my preferred system to play on.

And man, does this game look purty.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The release date announcement includes the fact that it is releasing on PS5 on the same day as the PC version, and makes no mention of coming out for the XBox. I'm not sure whether they've previously mentioned it being on any consoles.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Baldur's Gate 3 on Xbox Series X|S Exists, Announcement Delayed Due to 'Technical Issues'
Following yesterday’s PS5 and release date announcement, we’ve clarified that right now, we’re planning to release Baldur’s Gate 3 for PC, Mac, GeForce NOW and PS5. That said, we have no exclusivity for which platforms we can bring BG3 to, or when, and will announce support for additional platforms if and when we’re ready.

We’re seeing a lot of varied interpretations of what that means, so we wanted to clarify further. We’ve had an Xbox version of Baldur’s Gate 3 in development for some time now. We’ve run into some technical issues in developing the Xbox port that have stopped us feeling 100% confident in announcing it until we’re certain we’ve found the right solutions – specifically, we’ve been unable to get splitscreen co-op to work to the same standard on both Xbox Series X and S, which is a requirement for us to ship.

There’s no platform exclusivity preventing us from releasing BG3 on Xbox day and date, should that be a technical possibility. If and when we do announce further platforms, we want to make sure each version lives up to our standards & expectations.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Split screen co-op? With one copy of the game? I've not heard of that before. I might be able to get my son to play that. He has watched me play (though has shown no interest in playing) and we are always looking for good co-op games.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I believe that they had split screen local co-op in the Divinity: Original Sin games as well.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I've done that on PS5 with two controllers. How does it work with a keyboard?

Edit: Research indicates you can plug in a controller to a USB port for co-op. Can't wait to try that out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The system specs have been updated and they're higher (both minimum and recommended) than what was suggested during EA:
MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel I5 4690 / AMD FX 8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 150 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia 2060 Super / RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 150 GB available space
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Crap. I wonder how much effect having a i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz will have. I don't have the GPU yet, but will be upgrading in next month or so. Maybe I should consider a whole new system and just pass this one down the line as it were. It feels to me like I "recently" replaced my mobo/CPU and memory. :P But then I keep and use my hardware for a loooong ass time. Currently rocking an Nvidia GTX 760! :D

To be fair, my backlog is so large that I have been fine with that to date, since you don't exactly need a current card to play stuff from 10 years ago (or Civ IV which is what I spent 75% of last year playing, probably).

A new Baldur's Gate is a catalyst for me though. I'll do whatever it takes to be able to play that.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I just ran across a nice little tidbit from the most recent community update:
There’s more: Baldur’s Gate 3 is getting a Digital Deluxe Edition on launch. Here’s what you can expect to find within:
  • Divinity Bard Song Pack - Astound audiences by performing this special set of new songs from the Divinity series
  • Paintings from Rivellon - Discover a new collection of paintings across the Forgotten Realms
  • Adventurer's Pouch - Receive a collection of camp supplies and potions to help get your journey started
  • Digital OST - Enjoy the music of Baldur's Gate 3 from composer Borislav Slavov
  • Digital Artbook - Explore the art and design of Baldur's Gate 3 in this digital artbook, written by Larian
  • Digital Character Sheets - Peruse a set of four-page D&D character sheets for each Baldur's Gate 3 origin character
Bring a little bit of Rivellon to the Forgotten Realms with these Divinity-inspired artefacts:
  • Mask of the Shapeshifter: Allows you to change race and appearance on the fly, inspired by Fane
  • Cape of the Red Prince: Cloak inspired by the Red Prince
  • Lute of the Merryweather Bard: Playable instrument inspired by Lohse
  • Needle of the Outlaw Rogue: Dagger inspired by Sebille
  • Bicorne of the Sea Beast: Headgear inspired by Beast
Do you already own Baldur’s Gate 3 on PC? Are you planning to purchase it in Early Access before launch? You’re going to get a free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe edition on launch day! Same goes for owners of our Collector’s Edition (available to pre-order via our website for both PC & PS5 while stocks last!)

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My excitement level is rising:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Why are there giant robot conquistadors walking around?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The game takes place as of 1492 DR, over 120 years after the events of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and months after the events of Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus.
Apparently it's sci-fi, futuristic Baldur's Gate now. ;)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:03 pm Why are there giant robot conquistadors walking around?
Enlarge Image

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have only one reservation: I am having a blast roaming the countryside. I hope when you finally get to Baldur's Gate that it is not the final destination.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m a huge fan of the Baldur’s Gate series, having played both games and most of the DLC. But somehow, watching that trailer isn’t doing it for me. The colors seem a little garish, and the graphics seem meh overall.

I hope I’m wrong and I’ll love it, but my expectations aren’t that high based on what I’ve seen.

Probably the best place to be heading into any game! 😀
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There is something to be said for expecting the worst, so that all your surprises are pleasant. :lol:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm on record as a major fanboi of this title and have put in over 450 hours to date. Any game where I can pickpocket the merchants blind and get all the best gear available in Act 1 is golden as far as I am concerned, and it is turn based. Given their approach I am pretty hopeful they won't muck it up.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter