Baldur's Gate 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Brian

Re: Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Brian »

-While at camp, you can now access and manage the inventories of companions who aren't in your active party.
Fucking THANK YOU!!!

God it was so annoying having to drop/add/drop the companions into my party just to sort out their gear.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Definitely a plus one to that. I know it's easy enough to access your camp (most of the time), but sheesh, that's a QoL perk that should have been there day one. :)
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Brian wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:04 pm
-While at camp, you can now access and manage the inventories of companions who aren't in your active party.
Fucking THANK YOU!!!

God it was so annoying having to drop/add/drop the companions into my party just to sort out their gear.
1,000%

I still think they should make it so that you can add / drop companions in one step rather than having to go to companion A, drop them, then go to companion B and add them. Although being able to manage gear without add / drop will minimize some of the annoyance.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It definitely feels like a chore to swap out companions.

Stay here.

What, are you sure?

Yes I’m sure.

Well screw you too!
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Okay, I just re-did the final battle and "re-won" the game.

The ending and epilogue are greatly expanded (with patch 5). If you have already beat the game, it's worth grabbing your last save and seeing it. :wub: Honestly, it really makes me want a sequel with the same characters. (Yes, I know levs 13-20 get a wee bit crazy in DnD land, but what is the point of them existing if we can't play them?)
Last edited by Hamlet3145 on Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I gotta say that I did really enjoy the final battle. Very dramatic, and great use of allies.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I just finished the ending earlier this week, and was underwhelmed with some of the emotional endings. So maybe I’ll go back and give this a shot.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That new patch is massive (over 26 GB), had to leave it running overnight. The new difficulty modes were not available on my latest save. Honor makes sense but why not Custom? Custom looks like exactly my cuppa, with sliders for most things. Will have to start yet another playthrough to try it out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote:That new patch is massive (over 26 GB), had to leave it running overnight. The new difficulty modes were not available on my latest save. Honor makes sense but why not Custom? Custom looks like exactly my cuppa, with sliders for most things. Will have to start yet another playthrough to try it out.
Oh damn. I better fire up my ps5 to make sure it downloads.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My game said it updated but I replayed the ending this morning and didn’t get anything different.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

msteelers wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:05 am My game said it updated but I replayed the ending this morning and didn’t get anything different.
So, no "six months later" reunion with everyone? I think the save might have to come from right before, or during, the final boss battle.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Hamlet3145 wrote:
msteelers wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:05 am My game said it updated but I replayed the ending this morning and didn’t get anything different.
So, no "six months later" reunion with everyone? I think the save might have to come from right before, or during, the final boss battle.
Nope. But it would make sense story wise for me not to have the epilogue.
Spoiler:
My Tav turned into a mind flayer and locked himself in prison after the last fight.
I assumed the epilogue was right after the fight, not six months later.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm very early in my game, and it's gorgeous and I'm very much enjoying it.

However, I just want to say that they seem to have completely avoided the use of ropes, and yet - given us so many ropes and even framed up problems that look like ropes should solve them.

Enlarge Image

Length of Rope, Skeleton pointing, Busted bridge, and a lovely Pole to tie the rope upon.

But - yeah, no... The skeleton is just an adventurer who died trying to figure out how to use the rope.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:07 pm
Hamlet3145 wrote:
Nope. But it would make sense story wise for me not to have the epilogue.
Spoiler:
My Tav turned into a mind flayer and locked himself in prison after the last fight.
I assumed the epilogue was right after the fight, not six months later.
That may be. I replayed the ending yesterday with the main "good" and "evil" endings and only got an epilogue with the good ending.
Spoiler:
Do you have to lock yourself in prison if you become a mind flayer?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:54 am I'm very early in my game, and it's gorgeous and I'm very much enjoying it.

However, I just want to say that they seem to have completely avoided the use of ropes, and yet - given us so many ropes and even framed up problems that look like ropes should solve them.

Enlarge Image

Length of Rope, Skeleton pointing, Busted bridge, and a lovely Pole to tie the rope upon.

But - yeah, no... The skeleton is just an adventurer who died trying to figure out how to use the rope.
Early on I picked up rope, hammers and tongs figuring if there were so many, and they don't sell for much, they must have a use. Never found any use.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trade you for some Starfield folders.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:31 pm
Early on I picked up rope, hammers and tongs figuring if there were so many, and they don't sell for much, they must have a use. Never found any use.
I found ONE use for a hammer that was quest based. And by that time, I'd tossed all the ones I'd found. I then spent an hour running around looking for a damn hammer. Eventually found out that the quest DOES have one available nearby...but guarded.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote:
Spoiler:
Do you have to lock yourself in prison if you become a mind flayer?
Spoiler:
No there are other options. You can choose to live free with no consequences, claim that you’ll be on the lookout for any signs of losing yourself, go to jail, or kill yourself.

I chose to kill myself on the first play through. Tav just pulled a knife out and silently gutted himself. Astarion yelled out a quick “what are you doing” and then Tav just died. No other fanfare. Even Karlach, who hopelessly loved him supposedly, didn’t have anything to say.

Kind of a bummer ending. So this time around I went to jail and at least had a nice scene with Karlach.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm
I found ONE use for a hammer that was quest based. And by that time, I'd tossed all the ones I'd found. I then spent an hour running around looking for a damn hammer. Eventually found out that the quest DOES have one available nearby...but guarded.
I'm pretty sure I know of what you speak.
Spoiler:
The jail break from Moonrise Tower in Act 2. I was disappointed the gnome's gear was not in one of the Warden's chests, as he said it was taken from him, and that would be logical. I just game him my shittiest magical hammer. Regular hammers don't work. Where is this guarded one you mentioned?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:07 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm
I'm pretty sure I know of what you speak.
Spoiler:
The jail break from Moonrise Tower in Act 2. I was disappointed the gnome's gear was not in one of the Warden's chests, as he said it was taken from him, and that would be logical. I just game him my shittiest magical hammer. Regular hammers don't work. Where is this guarded one you mentioned?
Spoiler:
If you go into the guard tower, there's a ladder that will take you up to the top. There's a hammer named after the gnome who requested it (can't remember his name right now) in one of the chests up there. I went back after completing the main quest for Moonrise Tower and searched the whole area for anything I might have missed earlier. However, I didn't give him a magic hammer to complete the gnome stuff, just a regular hammer I found in another area I went back to search, and it worked fine. So they may have patched out the need for a magical hammer for this quest at some point.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I found Wulbrin's Hammer. I didn't notice it before because it was just laying on a table. But I kept it and gave him a regular maul. :P
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So far I'm loving the custom difficulty. Enemies on tactician but my power is boosted. Full heal on short rest. Only 20 food per full rest. Vendor prices on the lowest slider so I hardly ever have to pickpocket.

Plus with Patch #5 you can knock Minthara out and recruit her in Act 2 without wiping out the druid camp. Larian listens to the players.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Baldur’s Gate 3 is now out on Xbox Series X
Baldur’s Gate 3 is now out on Xbox Series X, Larian Studios announced Thursday at The Game Awards.

After taking home the top award of the night, Larian Studios shadow-dropped Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox Series X. “Xbox players, it’s party time,” Larian posted on X (formerly Twitter). “Baldur’s Gate 3 is now available for Xbox Series X|S; start your adventure today!” You can purchase Baldur’s Gate 3 for $69.99 on the Microsoft Store.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:19 pm Baldur’s Gate 3 is now out on Xbox Series X
Baldur’s Gate 3 is now out on Xbox Series X, Larian Studios announced Thursday at The Game Awards.

After taking home the top award of the night, Larian Studios shadow-dropped Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox Series X. “Xbox players, it’s party time,” Larian posted on X (formerly Twitter). “Baldur’s Gate 3 is now available for Xbox Series X|S; start your adventure today!” You can purchase Baldur’s Gate 3 for $69.99 on the Microsoft Store.
PHysicalk disc version not expected until sometime in Q1 24 tho.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, time to be too nerdy for OO.

You see a statue very early in the game. It has a plaque. When you examine it, it says that it's too corroded to read. Sadly, we'll never know what it once said.

Enlarge Image

Now, I've been familiar with the Forgotten Realms for almost 35 years. I've taken in video games, board games, novels, and even a film set there. I also spent years running tabletop RPGs set there, which requires a fair knowledge of the lore. Naturally, I recognized the text right away, as it was presented in the late 1980s boxed set. It's Espruar.

The problem, you see, isn't that the plaque is corroded. The problem is that the contractor those idiot Moon Elves hired mounted it upside down and backwards. It actually says:
Spoiler:
Hear my words
As they might
be your last
Be careful

They erected a statue just to put up a warning sign with an ever-so-helpful, "Be careful." Thanks for that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:27 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:19 pm Baldur’s Gate 3 is now out on Xbox Series X

PHysicalk disc version not expected until sometime in Q1 24 tho.
What's a disc?
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That’s hysterical, Blackhawk. I totally missed it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carbot Animation has been doing a series of shorts for BG3 that are highly amusing.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Together at last:

With patch #5 you can now recruit both Minthara and Halsin. Hilariously they share the same tent.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

What do people here think about playing the game either with one of the existing characters or with a custom-made one? I'm mainly interested in enjoying the story and combat (I certainly don't want this to be a frustrating experience and I'm not a D&D player or an overly seasoned RPG player at all).

I would think that playing with an existing character allows the game to develop the relationships and personalities of all characters better, while a custom-made character would allow me to play my favorite type (ranger/archer) and all the existing characters are still "available" to interact with within the game.

Also, would I enjoy the game as a ranger/archer? My understanding is that the game is very flexible and allows different approaches, so every class/type and approach should generally work, correct?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ChuckB wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:34 pm What do people here think about playing the game either with one of the existing characters or with a custom-made one? I'm mainly interested in enjoying the story and combat (I certainly don't want this to be a frustrating experience and I'm not a D&D player or an overly seasoned RPG player at all).

I would think that playing with an existing character allows the game to develop the relationships and personalities of all characters better, while a custom-made character would allow me to play my favorite type (ranger/archer) and all the existing characters are still "available" to interact with within the game.

Also, would I enjoy the game as a ranger/archer? My understanding is that the game is very flexible and allows different approaches, so every class/type and approach should generally work, correct?
IMO custom is the way to go since, as you say, you get the origin characters you choose in your party. I am currently playing a ranger gloomstalker with archery/sharpshooter and one or two shots kill most enemies. 5 levels of that plus 4 rogue (Assassin) plus 3 fighter (Champion for extra crits) is massively OP. If you take pass without trace plus respec another character into sorcerer (for extended greater invis), you can take down most baddies before they ever get a turn. Full build below.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Personally I would say custom is the way to go, with Dark Urge as a close 2nd. I haven't finished my durge playthrough (barely started it actually), but from what I've read it's a great story. And you can fully customize the character so the only thing you're missing is some of the deeper role playing aspects of the custom character.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would also say custom (and the NPC interactions are, as far as I know, going to be the same regardless.) Dark Urge is great, but it's definitely a second playthrough thing, as it alters things meaningfully. It's playing medieval Dexter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Crazy battle but ultimately a ripoff:

You know how Raphael is sitting in the Last Light Inn playing chess in Act 2? I wanted to see what would happen if I attacked him. I thought he would be invulnerable, but his massive health started to go down. What I didn't expect was for Jaheira and her dozens of Harpers to attack me. I ignored them and kept hammering Raphael for 6-7 rounds. Just before all my characters went down I got him down to zero hit points but he didn't die!

Then I found myself in jail where I had to break down a wall with my fist to escape. The Harpers were no longer hostile (but strangely I could not fast travel from that area). Raphael was still standing in the Inn with zero HP, so I reloaded.

It makes me wonder why they allowed that fight at all.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not really sure how I feel about this

Netflix rumored to be looking at live action Baldur’s Gate 3.

I guess my first reaction is just…why?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, massive alarm bells. That’s not a good idea.
Please no.
Hard pass.

D&D as a video game is problematic enough.
D&D as a movie is problematic enough.

A D&D video game as a movie just begs to fail. I really don’t want something I hold in a special place being used like that.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unagi wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:23 am D&D as a movie is problematic enough.
This year’s D&D movie was fantastic, and is the only glimmer of hope that a live BG3 adaptation wouldn’t be a complete dumpster fire.

On another note, BG3 continues to ruin every other game I’ve tried to play since. Other RPGs all just feel so woefully lacking by comparison after playing it. Making it really hard to find something else to dig into now. :?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd be in favor of a Forgotten Realms show, or even a Baldur's Gate show. But not a Baldur's Gate 3 show.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If a Forgotten Realms show done with the same touch as the recent D&D movie could be pulled off, I would love it.

I just don’t want to see Dave Bautista cast as Minsc with a CGI Boo jumping around like Grogu
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't have any connection to BG3 (yet) so my feelings aren't as strong as others. That said, I'm guessing the success of the game + the success of The Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon has they looking at the Baldur's Gate series with dollar signs in their eyes.

I would probably agree that a generic series in the Forgotten Realms would be better.
Maybe next year, maybe no go