[HBO] Chernobyl

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

[HBO] Chernobyl

Post by Holman »

Trailer:

The first of five episodes of this miniseries premiered last night. I didn't see it, but I plan to watch it tonight in rerun.

The reviews I've seen are very strong. Apparently it gets the story exactly right scientifically and politically, and the human drama is very affecting without falling into melodrama. It's being touted today as a must-see.

Incidentally, for those wondering, it's not an anti-nuclear-power story. The creator in interviews has said that he is pro-nuke and that he believes nuclear power will be crucial in the fight to curb climate change. This is a story about science and truth and politics.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Re: [HBO] Chernobyl

Post by Holman »

OK, wow.

That was some powerful television. Tough and slow-burn horrifying. The worst part is knowing it's true.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Been looking forward to this. Glad to hear the positive feedback.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Holman

Post by Holman »

If this were Game of Thrones, we'd be yelling "How does cutting the phone lines stop the radiation??"

But it's true and appalling because 1986 and Soviet.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is on my radar but I think I want to wait until the series is finished so I can watch the whole thing at once. For a show like this, that works better for me.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Yeah I just watched the first ep... Brutal how people were deceived about the horrible tragedy that unfolded.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Grifman wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:56 pm This is on my radar but I think I want to wait until the series is finished so I can watch the whole thing at once. For a show like this, that works better for me.
This is me as well. I'm so spoiled with whole seasons being available online for various shows that I'm no longer willing to watch one episode per week and (gasp) wait to watch another one a week later. But definitely on my want to watch list.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Watched the first episode and was really impressed. Holy cow, it was like watching the Titanic all over again. Can't believe how careless they were given they were facing this for the first time. This is gripping television.

I've been following this guy's blog for awhile now. He's made at least 3 different trips to the zone, documenting it all, releasing a book and video, and also been to Fukushima. It makes for some fascinating reading: https://www.podniesinski.pl/portal/chernobyl/ Make sure to check out the other expeditions too.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thanks for the link. That's a great read!
Toe

Post by Toe »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:01 pm Watched the first episode and was really impressed. Holy cow, it was like watching the Titanic all over again. Can't believe how careless they were given they were facing this for the first time. This is gripping television.
Agree 100%, very gripping and ominous first episode. I was a bit shocked at how radiation detection was so marginalized.

I am also a bit curious as to how accurate the series is. I initialed heard something along that lines of practically nothing was embellished for entertainment value, so is very close to what actually happened. But then I started reading a review (of a reviewer that watched all 4 parts already) that was pointing various inaccuracies in the series.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Toe wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:04 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:01 pm Watched the first episode and was really impressed. Holy cow, it was like watching the Titanic all over again. Can't believe how careless they were given they were facing this for the first time. This is gripping television.
Agree 100%, very gripping and ominous first episode. I was a bit shocked at how radiation detection was so marginalized.

I am also a bit curious as to how accurate the series is. I initialed heard something along that lines of practically nothing was embellished for entertainment value, so is very close to what actually happened. But then I started reading a review (of a reviewer that watched all 4 parts already) that was pointing various inaccuracies in the series.
Can you point me to that review? I'd be interested.

The only points of unreality I've seen discussed are that the female scientist character (who is major) is actually a composite and that of course we're putting imagined dialogue into the mouths of historical people. I haven't heard any criticism of the science.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Toe wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:04 am I am also a bit curious as to how accurate the series is. I initialed heard something along that lines of practically nothing was embellished for entertainment value, so is very close to what actually happened. But then I started reading a review (of a reviewer that watched all 4 parts already) that was pointing various inaccuracies in the series.
Well, from reading the above link, it seems to be quite accurate. This isn't a guy who visits for fun, but a guy who'd done a lot of research, not only in the plant but in the surrounding areas. And apparently, he'd found fragments from the core still buried. Guess we'll see how accurate the other parts are, but I guess it'd be hard to know for sure. This miniseries does seem to be painting an evenhanded picture of the events and those involved.

But yeah, it is amazing how much it was marginalized. I think part of it was due to the fact they were all facing something new and didn't know how they should be reacting. But the outright denial... wow. Who to believe, the ones actually working in there having seen things or the brass who give the orders? That was half the battle.
Holman wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:54 am The only points of unreality I've seen discussed are that the female scientist character (who is major) is actually a composite and that of course we're putting imagined dialogue into the mouths of historical people. I haven't heard any criticism of the science.
That seems to be pretty standard practice and I'd hardly criticize it for that, especially when there were so many people involved. Critics can be odd.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I thought it was awful how that firefighter was handling part of the graphite core and how his body started to shut down minutes later.

Or the part where the guy was asked to go into the core to eyeball it from the roof, and started to die almost immediately.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Watched the first episode last night greatly enjoyed it. It has the feel of a horror movie where all the workers are slowly being hunted by something, and you are screaming at people "Don't go through that door!".

There's also a podcast companion where the creator is interviewed by Peter Sagal of NPR fame. The creator does a great job during it of talking through some of the inaccuracies and why they made the changes they did, in addition to lots of background info and anecdotes that didn't make it into the show:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1459712981

Also makes me want to dig up the last Stalker game and play through it again. :)

Edit: Also, Jared Harris is an amazing actor. First time I saw him was on Madmen and he was great, and he's also excellent in The Terror which everyone should watch.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue May 14, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well, if you want to visit the reactor, you'll need the first STALKER game. :D

Or check out the Lost Alpha mod... which pretty much lets you go everywhere. It's a bit buggy, but still pretty cool.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The second episode is as strong as the first. This presentation is gripping.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sepiche wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am Edit: Also, Jared Harris is an amazing actor. First time I saw him was on Madmen and he was great, and he's also excellent in The Terror which everyone should watch.
And he plays an utterly and unexpectedly different character in THE EXPANSE.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yep, second episode was great as well! Amazing how much of a 180 that one man had made after witnessing those horrors at the plant via helicopter.

And oh yes, Jared Harris is an amazing character actor.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

So tense. Episode two delivered in spades.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

That ending fade to black. :shock:

Also, every country within 1000 miles of Chernobyl should have a national holiday for those guys who volunteered to go in.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 am
Sepiche wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am Edit: Also, Jared Harris is an amazing actor. First time I saw him was on Madmen and he was great, and he's also excellent in The Terror which everyone should watch.
And he plays an utterly and unexpectedly different character in THE EXPANSE.
An opening scene spoiler for Chernobyl and a major spoiler for Mad Men follows:
Spoiler:
I thought it was funny that he wound up hanging himself in both Mad Men and Chernobyl. I think he may be typecast.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

The victims in the hospital... HOLY CRAP! :shock:

This show is so horrifying, but you can’t look away. I don’t even know how to describe it so far other than :shock: .
18-1™ & 2-0
Holman

Post by Holman »

They're three for three strong episodes so far.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, seeing the effect after a few days on the reactor workers and firefighters was horrifying. Seeing them get exposed to that radiation in the first episode and thinking "Holy shit, they're dead" and later seeing the effects of looking into a burning nuclear reactor on their bodies is stunning.

According to the creator in the companion podcast Akimov, the second engineer Ulana interviewed as he was dying, was even worse off than Toptunov, but they thought it would start bordering on exploitative if they showed his condition as well. Supposedly before he died Akimov's skin had turned black as charcoal.

The scene with the miners working naked would have been funny if not for the fact they were slowly killing themselves with the work they were doing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sepiche wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 am According to the creator in the companion podcast Akimov, the second engineer Ulana interviewed as he was dying, was even worse off than Toptunov, but they thought it would start bordering on exploitative if they showed his condition as well. Supposedly before he died Akimov's skin had turned black as charcoal.
Yeah. They show the first engineer she's interviewing as well as other patients, but when she's talking to the second the camera never leaves her face.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 am
Sepiche wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 am According to the creator in the companion podcast Akimov, the second engineer Ulana interviewed as he was dying, was even worse off than Toptunov, but they thought it would start bordering on exploitative if they showed his condition as well. Supposedly before he died Akimov's skin had turned black as charcoal.
Yeah. They show the first engineer she's interviewing as well as other patients, but when she's talking to the second the camera never leaves her face.
I think they actually did show the second guy briefly (I think) Unless the first guy is who I'm thinking of.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This miniseries is so full of atmosphere. And I don't mean nuclear particles. I hope it ends up winning some emmies because it's been stellar so far! Really glad they're sticking with accuracy. I've heard that they really did have to dig the soil. I've seen reference to that on the blog I linked earlier. Surprised they already were thinking about the tomb around the plant as I figured that would happen much further along, but I guess that was in the planning stages. Latest news I've heard, as of a few years ago, they had to build yet another one around the old one as the old one was already showing signs of decay.

What's shocking about seeing all this play out is that you know they're doing their best despite lack of experience and knowledge and that it's never going to be enough. And then there's the complete arrogance from the higher-ups in the beginning.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Toe

Post by Toe »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:25 am This miniseries is so full of atmosphere. And I don't mean nuclear particles. I hope it ends up winning some emmies because it's been stellar so far! Really glad they're sticking with accuracy.
Yeah, it seems to be destine for emmy wins. I will honestly be disappointed if GoT steals any of its thunder. I don't think I have ever be so pissed off at a characters on TV (including Joffery, lol) than the wife of the firefighter in the hospital. I know most of it is attributed to ignorance regarding radiation poisoning, but man it was tough to watch it play out like it did. It had all the trappings of a horror movie.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Watching that wife break ALL of the protocols while pregnant was tough.

This miniseries has been incredible so far.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh and Jared Harris is an excellent actor. But we already knew that :D I think I first became aware of him in Mad Men, and was surprised to later learn he was Richard Harris' younger brother. I feel like he never disappoints in anything I see him in.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I didn't know he was Richard's brother. Cool.

Edit - Son. I thought he was too young to be his brother.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. Good family genes in any case :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Slava Malamud is better known as a Russian hockey writer but he's watching the series and grew up in that era.

His threads on the show are just fascinating. He even gets a few replies from showrunner Mazin.

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Episode 4 aired tonight.

I was prepared to deal with human suffering. I was not prepared for the animals.

Another powerful and almost unwatchable episode. This is some of the strongest television I've ever seen.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that was a great read. Could this miniseries be the most accurate historical drama? Usually when there are historical depictions, a lot of corners are cut for the sake of TV.

Regarding tonight's episode, man those scenes with the dogs was hard to watch. I feel like they dwelled on that a little too long. I think the most interesting thing about this episode for me was seeing the rovers in action, something which I had read about in that blog I linked earlier.
https://www.podniesinski.pl/portal/the-zone-in-4k-ii/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Man, I had no idea how close we were to Armageddon. And relying on the Ruskies to avoid it :shock:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

so next week is the series finale (boo) I saw no indication that they are going to tell how they build the cement wall around it, and went straight to the trial. I feel like this show could use another two episodes.

Great series. It's amazing what they went through, and how their government is. Can't imagine living like that.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, it's over next week? I thought I had seen there were 6 episodes. Maybe the the A & B plots will be the Trial and the building of the Covering. I've heard it both referred to as a Tomb and Sarcophagus, but that may just be a translation error.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I am impressed with how they found so many British actors that look like my preconceived notions of how Russians look.

This mini-series is great, though. Apparently it has become the highest rated program off all time on IMBD. :shock:
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lil' bit of history:
At first glance, it’s hard to know what’s happening in this picture. A giant mushroom seems to have sprouted in a factory floor, where ghostly men in hardhats seem to be working.

But there’s something undeniably eerie about the scene, for good reason. You’re looking at the largest agglomeration of one of the most toxic substances ever created: corium.
Maybe next year, maybe no go