Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Exodor

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by Exodor »

I've been there for awhile as Exodor

It's pretty quiet and there's not nearly as much content as I used to get on Twitter but there are a lot less nazis.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm there as pwroberts
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, hoping critical mass comes now that people can explore over there without a patron...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm kraken57.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Just joined as 'disarm'

Never bothered with a twitter account before, so not sure how much I'll use Bluesky, but at least I've locked down my name.
Last edited by disarm on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

disarm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:41 am Just joined as 'disarm'

Never bothered with a twitter accident before
Excellent slip there, good sir. :clap:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Straylite

Most of my follows are pretty quiet.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:00 pm The behavior I'm currently seeing as an anonymous viewer on Twitter/X is that I can access an individual tweet if I have the URL for it, but I can't see any replies to that tweet. If I try to view someone's feed, I get redirected to the login page.

Nitter is fully functional again, so I'm just using that to access Twitter/X for anything other than clicking through links to specific tweets.
Twitter front-end Nitter dies as Musk wins war against third-party services
NoLog, a Czech group that ran another Nitter instance, announced its demise today. NoLog operated one of the largest Nitter instances but is a different group than the one that created Nitter itself.

"Nitter is over—it's been a fun ride. Twitter blocked the last known way to access their network without a user account," the NoLog update said.

Users reported that many Nitter instances went down about eight months ago as Twitter (now called X) imposed new API restrictions. Some instances stayed online with workarounds, which no longer work.

"Most Nitter servers were using a technique of generating loads of temporary tokens that were used for accessing the content, but that path is now blocked as well," the NoLog update today said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, Nitter has been dead for me since sometime in January, IIRC. Which means that Xitter is functionally dead for me as well.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hey, look, Musk's sockpuppet calling in to Alex Jone's Infowars.

(Last 25 mins or so - this isn't a link to Infowars but a podcast about Infowars/Alex Jones)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is Facebook down this morning? I'm unable to log in on three different devices. Keeps telling me my password is wrong. (edit) Can't load Instagram either.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:46 am Is Facebook down this morning? I'm unable to log in on three different devices. Keeps telling me my password is wrong. (edit) Can't load Instagram either.
Yep, down for me too.
Hodor.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:51 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:46 am Is Facebook down this morning? I'm unable to log in on three different devices. Keeps telling me my password is wrong. (edit) Can't load Instagram either.
Yep, down for me too.
meta.com is down too. Can't login.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/05/faceboo ... users.html
“We’re aware people are having trouble accessing our services. We are working on this now,” Meta spokesperson Andy Stone said in a post on the social media site X Tuesday.

The hashtags ”#instagramdown” and ”#facebookoutage” were trending on X Tuesday morning. Shares of Meta were down more than 1%.

Additionally, Meta is experiencing “major disruptions” across its Meta Admin Center, Facebook login, WhatsApp Business API and Marketing API, according to a company website that tracks the status of its business products.

It is not immediately clear when the outages will be resolved.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

All better now.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Amazing the trouble it causes when Facebook is down... :D I tried resetting my password, but when that didn't work, ie it didn't seem to even recognize I had put a new one in, I figured it was a login server issue.

I really wish there'd be a way for them to give proper error messages or notify users at the top of the login screen that there's an issue. The standard boilerplate messages just cause confusion and panic.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Panic?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well yeah, not being able to login would cause some panic among people. Particularly when paired with the 'password not recognized' message.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
MCQueen2

Post by MCQueen2 »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:03 pm Amazing the trouble it causes when Facebook is down... :D I tried resetting my password, but when that didn't work, ie it didn't seem to even recognize I had put a new one in, I figured it was a login server issue.

I really wish there'd be a way for them to give proper error messages or notify users at the top of the login screen that there's an issue. The standard boilerplate messages just cause confusion and panic.
I was scared to delete facebook and move on to newer Social Media platforms...

Now I have almost a year since I deleted it and never looked back to it since... Such a liberating feeling.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

MCQueen2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:05 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:03 pm Amazing the trouble it causes when Facebook is down... :D I tried resetting my password, but when that didn't work, ie it didn't seem to even recognize I had put a new one in, I figured it was a login server issue.

Now I have almost a year since I deleted it and never looked back to it since... Such a liberating feeling.
I've often thought about it, but it's the only way I can connect to friends and family.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:15 pm

I've often thought about it, but it's the only way I can connect to friends and family.
That and FB Marketplace is still a good place for buying and selling stuff. It often outperforms Craigslist and OfferUp when I am trying to sell items.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Moliere wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:19 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:15 pm

That and FB Marketplace is still a good place for buying and selling stuff. It often outperforms Craigslist and OfferUp when I am trying to sell items.
I've never used the Marketplace, but I could see how it would be useful due to the expanded userbase.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That, and the Dull Men's Club is endlessly entertaining if you're a dull man. Those are my people.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

For some reason, I have a number of those groups appearing on my feed. I'd never seen any of them until about a month or so ago.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Just after Kraken started mentioning it? :ninja:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, slightly before he first mentioned it. Now it's showing them at least once a day.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:15 pm No, slightly before he first mentioned it...
But he was thinking about it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's some powerful algorithm then :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:06 am
malchior wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:15 pm It's just a letter. Words are cheap. It's just...silly? Pathetic? Gutless? All of the above...
Suit filed in California. Which has a very strong anti-SLAPP statute. I wonder if this is going to go the way Musk thinks it will...
X, the company formerly known as Twitter, is suing a research group that investigated hate speech on the social media platform, alleging that researchers violated its terms of service in a “scare campaign to drive away advertisers.”

In a lawsuit filed Monday in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, X alleged that the American and British operations of the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) “engaged in a series of unlawful acts designed to improperly gain access to protected X Corp. data.”
Tossed
A lawsuit that Elon Musk's X filed last year against a research group was thrown out Monday, with US District Judge Charles Breyer saying, "This case is about punishing the Defendants for their speech."
But Breyer wrote "there can be no mistaking" that the real motive of the suit was to bully X's critics into silence.

The decision cited a survey that found "social media researchers have canceled, suspended or changed more than 100 studies about X" as a result of Musk's policies as CEO.
In his scathing dismissal, Breyer said the CCDH exercising its First Amendment rights was the fundamental issue, despite X's attempt to sidestep it with arguments about data privacy and security.
"It is apparent to the Court that X Corp. wishes to have it both ways," Breyer wrote, "to be spared the burdens of pleading a defamation claim, while bemoaning the harm to its reputation, and seeking punishing damages based on reputational harm."

In a footnote, he added: "If there is any question about the 'punishing' part, X Corp. filed a similar suit, not before this Court, in November of 2023 against Media Matters, another non-profit media watchdog, for 'reporting on ads from major brands appearing next to neo-Nazi content.'"
It's almost as if people are the problem.