Witcher series by Netflix

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Witcher series by Netflix

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 am I'm midway through S2 and I think I'm just going to drop the whole series. I have no interest in watching knock-off Thor try to fill Cavill's shoes.
Not finishing the Cavill seasons seems like an odd choice. They can objectively be a great as a 24 episode run. S2 in particular was so much better than S1.

I will absolutely also watch it after the switch takes place but my expectations are low.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I doubt he will be as good (although if his performance is an 8, while Cavill's was a 10, that's "not as good", but it's still not the same as "bad"), but I do get frungled when people dismiss a show based on the casting that hasn't even been made yet (for example: Keaton's Batman.)

He may be great. He may not be. I'll at least watch and see how it goes, and decide once I've seen it. It isn't like there's a glut of fantasy shows right now, and the writing and other actors play a part in the overall quality as well.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's because Cavill fits like a glove. He really understands the role and it's hard to see anyone else in the role.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No argument there. I just don't think that coming from a 10 to an 8 makes an 8 bad (even if we don't know that it'll be an 8 - Hemsworth could still be a 4.) I just don't like dismissing something that hasn't even been tried.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote:He may be great. He may not be. I'll at least watch and see how it goes, and decide once I've seen it. It isn't like there's a glut of fantasy shows right now, and the writing and other actors play a part in the overall quality as well.
It doesn’t matter what he does, he won’t be Geralt. He will be someone playing Geralt. That’s just the way it is.

I had the same problem with Spartacus. Andy Whitfield *was* Spartacus. Liam McIntyre wasn’t bad at it. In the end he was fine. But he could never BE Spartacus. He was just a guy playing Spartacus.

Even now, when I rewatch the series, I hate the transition - even though I know it’s ok in the end.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

How is that other show based on the Witcher universe? I haven't seen it yet.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My decision to quit it is based more on that I don't really like the show. The casting just gives me an excuse. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:55 pm It's because Cavill fits like a glove.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:07 pm How is that other show based on the Witcher universe? I haven't seen it yet.
Blood Origin? Well, it was short so it had that going for it. It was... fine.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:05 pm
Blackhawk wrote:He may be great. He may not be. I'll at least watch and see how it goes, and decide once I've seen it. It isn't like there's a glut of fantasy shows right now, and the writing and other actors play a part in the overall quality as well.
It doesn’t matter what he does, he won’t be Geralt. He will be someone playing Geralt. That’s just the way it is.

I had the same problem with Spartacus. Andy Whitfield *was* Spartacus. Liam McIntyre wasn’t bad at it. In the end he was fine. But he could never BE Spartacus. He was just a guy playing Spartacus.

Even now, when I rewatch the series, I hate the transition - even though I know it’s ok in the end.
Spartacus is a good example. I mean, understandably the actor died and they had to do something, but his replacement was just very inherently different that it's jarring. Ironically enough, I don't really have the same issue with Bewitched's Darren, maybe because it's easier to accept it being a sitcom featuring a magic user who would possibly be able to change her husband's appearance.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or James Rhodes in the MCU. That sort of substitution bothers me - but only for a few episodes.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So I totally misunderstood or forgot that Cavill was in Season 3. Haven't watched it yet but saw the trailer and thought holy crap. Hemsworth is pulling a Cavill PERFECTLY. Like I absolutely couldn't tell the difference. It took a bit to realize why.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did manage to finish the initial run last week - forgot to post it here. I enjoyed the hell out of it, though I'm still struggling with the disconnect between so many of the characters as actors vs how I know them in the video games. It's not bad or wrong, it's still just a bit jarring for me.

Either way, still great and the last episode in particular felt very much like being in a quest from the video game.

Still also having a difficult time imagining anyone else but Cavill...
disarm

Post by disarm »

I finished this season and really enjoyed it. Episode 5 was interesting and really well done with all the bouncing around during the ball...neat way to tell the story. It's hard to imagine someone other than Cavill playing Geralt, but the show is so good overall that I'll definitely be giving next season a chance.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Second part of the season premiers on July 27th. Pretty sure Cavill doesn't leave until the end of that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:08 pm Second part of the season premiers on July 27th. Pretty sure Cavill doesn't leave until the end of that.
Correct. I don't think they've shared when S4 will start, but I'm guessing it'll be Fall of 2024. I'm also guessing Cavill Geralt will go into a portal at the end of S3 and Hemsworth Geralt will emerge. :)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:11 pm
Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:08 pm Second part of the season premiers on July 27th. Pretty sure Cavill doesn't leave until the end of that.
Correct. I don't think they've shared when S4 will start, but I'm guessing it'll be Fall of 2024. I'm also guessing Cavill Geralt will go into a portal at the end of S3 and Hemsworth Geralt will emerge. :)
On that note, I hope they don't make something happen in the story to account for his change in appearance. Whatever it would be, would feel shoehorn'd in. Just act like nothing happened, ffs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Like having Peter hit him the nose with a football?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:07 pm On that note, I hope they don't make something happen in the story to account for his change in appearance. Whatever it would be, would feel shoehorn'd in. Just act like nothing happened, ffs.
I guess you're not a fan of how Solar Opposites is handling it, then?
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:07 pm
On that note, I hope they don't make something happen in the story to account for his change in appearance. Whatever it would be, would feel shoehorn'd in. Just act like nothing happened, ffs.
Really? I'm just the opposite. If it was a straight drama, I'd agree with you. In a magical universe where multiple characters have had their appearance changed by magic already, I'd say throw a spell or potion out there. Then all the other characters could argue whether they should even try to change him back. Geralt could then stomp off, and /Scene. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, I agree with the premise of simply not mentioning the elephant in the room. Go on as normal. It's not necessary to try to explain why Geralt has a slightly different nose or voice, any more than it was necessary to explain why James Rhodes shrank four inches. Or why Daario Naharis cut off all of his hair, his cheekbones, his chin, dyed his hair, and grew a beard.

Solar Opposites is a completely different type of show, as is Doctor Who.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

As long as he doesn't regenerate into David Tennant or Peter Capaldi.
Conform or be cast out!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We should be so lucky.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tom Baker's still alive. Geralt could hand out jelly babies!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oof, kind of a dick move by Netflix. If you don’t believe in Cavill’s replacement, that’s fine. Advertising it though?

He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably related to this:
Now, a week after The Witcher season 3 part 1 was released on Netflix, Samba TV statistics (via Deadline) show its viewership declining. A total of 1.1 million US households watched the season 3 premiere, which is fairly strong. However, it's a 15% decrease compared to the 1.3 million households that watched the season 2 premiere. Over the next four episodes, audience interest continued to decline. Only 893,000 households tuned into episode 2, which decreased to 750,000 for episode 3 and 602,000 for episode 4. Episode 5 dwindled to less than half the season 3 premiere with 505,000 household views.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What a slap in the face for Hemsworth.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Terrible. And I haven't even started S3 yet. Oof.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I'm not watching it until all the episodes are out.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finished watching the first half of S3 yesterday, and I'm still digging the show. Of course, I've probably poisoned the algorithm by not schlorping up the whole thing on the first day it was released. I'm sort of resigned to the likelihood that Netflix is going to kill the show without letting them finish the planned run, regardless of the quality of the work, but I'll enjoy what I get until they drop the axe.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 3: Volume 2 starts on 7/27

aka the final 3 episodes with Henry Cavill as Geralt
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:33 am I finished watching the first half of S3 yesterday, and I'm still digging the show. Of course, I've probably poisoned the algorithm by not schlorping up the whole thing on the first day it was released. I'm sort of resigned to the likelihood that Netflix is going to kill the show without letting them finish the planned run, regardless of the quality of the work, but I'll enjoy what I get until they drop the axe.
Yeah, I kind of have the feeling that Helmworth's season will be the last.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:27 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:33 am I finished watching the first half of S3 yesterday, and I'm still digging the show. Of course, I've probably poisoned the algorithm by not schlorping up the whole thing on the first day it was released. I'm sort of resigned to the likelihood that Netflix is going to kill the show without letting them finish the planned run, regardless of the quality of the work, but I'll enjoy what I get until they drop the axe.
Yeah, I kind of have the feeling that Helmworth's season will be the last.
Even if he's incredible as Geralt. Hell, even if he turns out to be a better Geralt than Henry C, enough people will avoid it out of spite to sink it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, it wouldn't just be because of that, but because they seemingly gave themselves a back eye from all that bad press, so much so that you see they panicked and had to remind people that he was still in season 3 via those advertisements as posted above. Some could say it's already been sunk the moment that happened as it's rather telling.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Some commentary from the producer:
In an interview with the Polish YouTube channel Imponderabilia, Baginski singled out season two’s low viewership as a byproduct of younger viewers who frequent social media sites like YouTube and TikTok for having short attention spans.

“When it comes to shows, the younger the public is, the logic of the plot is less significant…Those people grew up on TikTok and YouTube, they jump from video to video,” Baginsk said, adding that young folks gravitate more toward “just emotions.”
I guess we'll just never know why Cavill left the show...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’d call him a Boomer, but he’s only four months older than me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:01 pm I’d call him a Boomer, but he’s only four months older than me.
Friggin' Millennials...

btw 3 episodes in on S3 and... kind of bored.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Same. It's just not very good.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The pacing in S3 is...different.

Just finished Ep6 (with a Mike Tyson quote for an episode title) and...it ramps up significantly. I'm honestly not sure now what is going to happen in final two episodes or how the transition will occur (if there is anything done to acknowledge transition).

Cavill's fight scenes are still awesome.
Spoiler:
I don't know if him rolling around on the ground at the end while fighting Vilgefortz was a nod to the video game, but I chuckled.