NCAA Tourney 2017

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

NCAA Tourney 2017

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone up for an OO Bracket?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Re: NCAA Tourney 2017

Post by Remus West »

I'd play but I have not followed much so I'll probably do terrible. Or I'll ask my wife to make all of the picks and win everything as she has no clue about the teams. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'd be in. I keep getting the emails from the old CBS bracket, but I haven't logged into the site to see if anybody is picking through that site.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'd be in as well.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Guessing this is a no go. Tourney starts tomorrow.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Any thoughts about the tourney so far? I'm really looking forward to today's games, particularly the games played by the Ducks and Bruins.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Big Ten hasn't done much to remedy its perception as trash this year. Laughably overseeded Minnesota was predictably wiped out in a 12-5 upset. Maryland football may suck, but at least the Big 10 got a quality basketball program when they joined, right? (Ignore them getting bounced in a first round upset, please.) Northwestern was aided in its win by a brain cramp by Vandy (although they still might have pulled it out anyway). Wisconsin didn't prove that they were underseeded by going to the wire in their 8-9 matchup. At least Purdue won by double digits!

I'm obviously rooting for Michigan to keep its momentum going (starting in about 5 minutes), but I don't know how they're going to do. They've looked legitimately good the last month and half or so (after looking all but dead earlier in the year), but how much of that is true improvement vs. getting to play against Big Ten teams? OK State is a tough match up.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

EvilHomer3k wrote:Guessing this is a no go. Tourney starts tomorrow.
Yeah, I logged into the CBS sports one from long ago, only to discover that I wasn't the old commish. Didn't have time to create another. Sorry.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

1v16 thought.

Some day this will happen. It will either be like when Stanford lost in the women's bracket when their star player was injured between selecting and the start of the tourney (could be suspension too ), or a play in winner getting hot (that extra tourney game does seem to help the winners, at least one always seems to go far),out a combination thereof.

This year, keep an eye on Kansas.

PLW

Post by PLW »

If it wasn't for the idiotic play by Vandy in the last 10sec of the Northwestern game, I would have had a perfect day-1 bracket. Still leading my group, with 15/16, though.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

PLW wrote:If it wasn't for the idiotic play by Vandy in the last 10sec of the Northwestern game, I would have had a perfect day-1 bracket. Still leading my group, with 15/16, though.
You *might* have had a perfect bracket. NU still had the ball with an opportunity to take the lead - Vandy just made it easier with an inexplicable foul on a good free throw shooter.
PLW

Post by PLW »

ImLawBoy wrote:
PLW wrote:If it wasn't for the idiotic play by Vandy in the last 10sec of the Northwestern game, I would have had a perfect day-1 bracket. Still leading my group, with 15/16, though.
You *might* have had a perfect bracket. NU still had the ball with an opportunity to take the lead - Vandy just made it easier with an inexplicable foul on a good free throw shooter.
I'll concede that.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That was as close as the experts thought, but Michigan keeps the momentum going with a 92-91 win. Go Blue!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote:That was as close as the experts thought, but Michigan keeps the momentum going with a 92-91 win. Go Blue!
Quite the ending there. Wish I'd gotten to see the entire game.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Remus West wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:That was as close as the experts thought, but Michigan keeps the momentum going with a 92-91 win. Go Blue!
Quite the ending there. Wish I'd gotten to see the entire game.
My employer is running commercials urging people to watch tournament games on their mobile devices at work, so I don't see how they can be mad at me for doing it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well! The Pac 12 teams represented, the USC game was amazing! Can't wait til Sunday!!
Black Lives Matter
PLW

Post by PLW »

Wow...big win by the Gamecocks. First day I can wear my USC hat around Clemson with pride in too long.

On my cell. Please pardon auto-corrects.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I actually did pretty good in my work bracket. Only missed one sweet sixteen team (stupid SMU).

Of course, that just means I'll get slaughtered today.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

A lot of people got slaughtered today with Nova going down.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Has to be one of the worst brackets I have ever filled out. My East is all red, my midwest is half red. My Final 2 are still alive but my other two final 4's are out. :doh:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Congrats to Michigan for ousting scumbag Pitino.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lorini wrote:A lot of people got slaughtered today with Nova going down.
I had one of the best first rounds I've had in years. Predictably, the second round has been a complete bloodbath...including losing my winner (Nova).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Skinypupy wrote:
Lorini wrote:A lot of people got slaughtered today with Nova going down.
I had one of the best first rounds I've had in years. Predictably, the second round has been a complete bloodbath...including losing my winner (Nova).
I was exactly the same. Only missed two in the first round. Got blasted Saturday and Sunday. My bracket went from amazeballs to the Bracket of Mass Destruction.

Major props to Michigan. They are on an unbelievable run, going from being almost eliminated 2 weeks ago to rolling into the sweet 16. Nicely done! And Wisconsin as well! Knocking off Nova. Maybe the Big Ten was not as down as people thought? Maybe they just had a parity war in the conference.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PLW wrote:Wow...big win by the Gamecocks. First day I can wear my USC hat around Clemson with pride in too long.

On my cell. Please pardon auto-corrects.
Woot. And playing well against Dookie.
PLW

Post by PLW »

First ever Sweet 16. Wow. Frank promised Sin that if he came to SC we could rebuild the program.... and we did it Frank's way, too.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Duke took out the rest of the brackets I'm sure :) And man, I can't wait for Ducks-Michigan. Pac 12 vs Big Ten, it doesn't get much better than that for a Pac 12 fan! And of course UCLA vs Kentucky should be really good as well.

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
Black Lives Matter
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Well I still have UCLA alive in my Final 4 thats about it. Rest of the Bracket busted.
Carpet_pissr

NCAA Tourney 2017

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure if this was just an ESPN only bracket, but they reported that from more than 18 million brackets submitted, only 18 were correct (for sweet 16). Does that sound right?

And something like half of them had Duke in the Final Four.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on who you ask:
There are no perfect brackets left for this year's NCAA men's basketball tournament after this weekend, and according to NCAA.com, only one bracket — out of the tens of millions filled out across NCAA.com, Bleacher Report, CBS, ESPN, Fox Sports, and Yahoo — even made it unscathed through most of Saturday. Just one prescient user on Yahoo picked the tournament's first 39 games correctly
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

One would think ESPN would know its own brackets?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think the ESPN statement is that 18 had the correct Sweet Sixteen, but that doesn't mean that they were perfect. So, they might have picked Louisville losing in their first round game, but had Michigan going to the Sweet Sixteen out of that part of the bracket anyway.

Say, did anyone notice that Michigan made it to the Sweet Sixteen?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I noticed that Michigan TECH made the sweet sixteen by winning their conference tournament this last weekend. But I'm guessing that's a different NCAA Tourney 2017 than referenced in the title.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:Say, did anyone notice that Michigan made it to the Sweet Sixteen?
Most locals put the Michigan in the sweet sixteen with ceiling of the Elite 8 before the Big 10 championship series started, even most of Sparty. Of course now that they're in the sweet sixteen homerism has taken over and everyone's all "Destiny" whatever that's supposed to mean.

I will say the Big 10 has over performed, in general, and that bodes well for Michigan being potentially under rated.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote:I noticed that Michigan TECH made the sweet sixteen by winning their conference tournament this last weekend. But I'm guessing that's a different NCAA Tourney 2017 than referenced in the title.
I hear Coastal Carolina is a real longshot to make it back to the CWS.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Meal wrote:I noticed that Michigan TECH made the sweet sixteen by winning their conference tournament this last weekend. But I'm guessing that's a different NCAA Tourney 2017 than referenced in the title.
Michigan hockey had a decidedly . . . not good year. Hopefully they'll let Red move on and start rebuilding.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Michigan hockey had a decidedly . . . not good year. Hopefully they'll let Red move on and start rebuilding.
Man what a run, though. I'm a bit fearful that when Red moves on, Michigan poaches our coach. Of course Mel Pearson is already earning more state dollars than Berenson.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Meal wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
Man what a run, though. I'm a bit fearful that when Red moves on, Michigan poaches our coach. Of course Mel Pearson is already earning more state dollars than Berenson.
That would seem to be the home run hire, and Michigan could certainly afford to outspend Michigan Tech (wonder if Red was giving the alumni discount? (discount does not apply to football coaches)), but I really have no idea what will happen. The rumor is that Red was going to retire last year, but the new AD asked him to stay on so he didn't have to start off with a coaching search, which might indicate that Pearson wasn't a slam dunk (or should that be a an open net in this context?).
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ESPN had an article this morning discussing the fact that the author felt that everyone who is in the 16 belongs there and that's what I saw as well. I don't think Michigan overperformed, there are stars in some people's eyes,meaning that they don't always see the issues that the supposed Final Four teams really have.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:ESPN had an article this morning discussing the fact that the author felt that everyone who is in the 16 belongs there and that's what I saw as well. I don't think Michigan overperformed, there are stars in some people's eyes,meaning that they don't always see the issues that the supposed Final Four teams really have.
I'm not sure South Carolina can score 65 in a half again.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You could also argue that any team in the Sweet Sixteen could score 65 against that defense; it goes both ways.
Black Lives Matter