The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

This story is genuinely amazing. It should be in a museum somewhere, to illustrate all the dysfunctions of US politics & media in 2022.
Here's what happened: Biden extended the universal free meals programs at the nation's public schools, allowing 10 million additional kids to get lunch. Educators, who unanimously say the program is still very much needed, were all expecting another year's extension. However...

... Mitch McConnell interceded in the major spending bill that's now being assembled. He drew a hard line: no extension of the program. 10 million kids cut off from lunch. Why? And aide called it "an attempt to clamp down on government spending and get schools back to normal."

This is monstrous. Of all the things gov't is spending on ... of all the needs in the country as we still suffer a pandemic + inflation ... McConnell goes HERE to find a little extra money. Food out of 10 million kids' mouths. Fucking *monstrous*.

But ... look at the headline. "Finger-pointing ensues." What? McConnell did it! You can argue over his reasons, but everyone acknowledges he did it! Only one finger need point, in one direction, FFS!

A few 'graphs down: "Democrats and a long list of school groups are pointing at Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell for taking a hardline stance against extending the waivers."

Because ... he did it!!! That's why they're pointing at him! It's not a question!

And then we get this, from the head of the School Nutritional Association: "Congress' failure to act will undoubtedly cause students to go hungry and leave school meal programs in financial peril."

"Congress" failed to act? "Congress"?! IT. WAS. MCCONNELL.
It continues for a little bit longer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

nailed it
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think if I had a kid and I couldn't afford to buy them a lunch each day or pack them one and they yanked their free one from the school Id yank my kid from school.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

There's also a kind of MSM magical thinking that seems to believe "bipartisan" reporting (regardless of who did what to whom) is virtuous because it somehow encourages a bipartisan political culture, even though it clearly doesn't.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:03 pm I think if I had a kid and I couldn't afford to buy them a lunch each day or pack them one and they yanked their free one from the school Id yank my kid from school.
Why? Because you would erroneously blame the school? Or does that somehow get back at some entity and I'm not connecting the dots?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fuck that twat-faced turd of a human.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

This piece is so bad I am somewhat convinced it is an April Fool's joke.

President Biden’s gaffe about Vladimir Putin and Will Smith slapping Chris Rock at Sunday’s Academy Awards ceremony were demonstrations of a single phenomenon.

Let me explain.

Saturday, in Warsaw, addressing Putin’s war in Ukraine, Biden departed from his prepared remarks with this coda: “For God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power.” He was roundly and justifiably criticized for implying that the United States is seeking the ouster of Russia’s president. Biden has since explained that he was merely expressing “moral outrage,” insisting that it’s “ridiculous” to think he was articulating a policy of regime change.

The problem is that expressions of this kind of personal sentiment are the province of casual speech. Biden’s speech was supposed to be a formal statement to a world audience, in which certain phraseologies carry specific meanings. For example, in his case for war, Putin warned that “consequences will be such as you have never seen in your entire history”; it was read to imply that Russia might use nuclear weapons to deter any third-party country from interfering with its invasion.

Biden elided the line between the formal and the casual, because the off-the-cuff and even clumsy remark is his wont, from comparing La Guardia Airport to a “third-world country” to dropping an f-bomb when Obamacare was signed into law. In contrast, and despite the relatively conversational tone of his fireside chats, Franklin D. Roosevelt never seemed to go off message. We know about the colorful, even profane things Lyndon B. Johnson said behind closed doors, but he wasn’t known for saying them before the cameras.

One might be inclined to let Biden’s more unbuttoned approach pass as a personality quirk, especially today, when the line between the formal and the informal in public language has become so much hazier. The president’s oratorical messiness could be seen as consonant with the eclipse of the fedora and dancing according to plotted steps — but not this time. When the topic is war, the old ways are the only proper ones: Biden’s feelings weren’t supposed to edge out the objectivity of officialese, and his contorted effort to explain away his remark is one of his more obtuse moments.

Meanwhile, the relationship between Smith and anything to do with Biden may seem thin. But my take on what Smith did at the Oscars is that in a moment of umbrage, he, too, lost sight of the line — choosing a vernacular, of sorts, while in a regimented setting. To slap Rock was, of course, utterly unpardonable — and to an extent so stark that it gets one surmising about the psychology behind it.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Interestingly enough, the voids created by clickbait/VC focus on National Culture War issues and cutbacks to local coverage are being filled.. by non-profits, at least to a degree:
From voting rights and redistricting to abortion and public education, state capitols across the United States are at the epicenter of the nation’s key public policy debates. This has been especially true during the COVID-19 pandemic, as state capitol buildings became ground zero in the debate over mask and vaccine mandates and other pandemic policies.

A new Pew Research Center study finds that the total number of reporters assigned to the 50 state capitols to inform citizens about legislative and administrative activity has increased by 11% since 2014, the last time this study was conducted. The gain comes largely from two main developments: new nonprofit news outlets that are employing statehouse reporters, and a shift to more part-time statehouse reporting.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I sense the shift to "part-time" should be more read like freelance/stringer type coverage. Maybe there are more total reporters but I'd be real curious to see if quality has dropped (hard to measure) and whether relationships are being built that get deeper insight into what is happening at the state house. Another consideration is that some legislatures are inherently part-time so maybe it's a better model. It is fairly hard to decode that but guess you have to keep polling the public to see what their awareness of local issues is to figure that out.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is painful to me that this is the exception. What a great little snippet just exposing how amoral and hypocritical McConnell is without having to really even ask difficult questions. Swan just has prepared follows up and insightful questions. He resists following the typical US-centric media approach which is ask question, let the politician equivocate for a while, maybe a light challenge, and then just move on. Listen to McConnell react, "You want to spend more time on that". He is so used to US journalists just accepting this inanity as a response.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Swan is really great.

Though at the same time...doesn't really get anywhere at the end of the day. McConnell just switches between assorted pre-set banal responses, and then at a certain point (as Swan presses) he just stops letting him finish questions, and never really admits anything or gives any substantive answers. What can you do though, I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:48 pm Swan is really great.

Though at the same time...doesn't really get anywhere at the end of the day. McConnell just switches between assorted pre-set banal responses, and then at a certain point (as Swan presses) he just stops letting him finish questions, and never really admits anything or gives any substantive answers. What can you do though, I suppose.
That's true. He'll never get Mitch to confess but what the approach does is make the evasion a prominent feature. Instead of just accepting it and shrugging as usual, Swan is highlighting the evasion. It also obviously makes McConnell uncomfortable in a way which is helpful potentially. He might end up saying more than he would otherwise. I just contrast it to the normal "playbook" which tends to accept the answer and ends up incentivizing evasion. If you always get away with it without a cost, why should you ever truthfully answer questions? If more journalists followed his example it'd potentially have some cost at least.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Cool.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:56 pm

That's true. He'll never get Mitch to confess but what the approach does is make the evasion a prominent feature. Instead of just accepting it and shrugging as usual, Swan is highlighting the evasion. It also obviously makes McConnell uncomfortable in a way which is helpful potentially. He might end up saying more than he would otherwise. I just contrast it to the normal "playbook" which tends to accept the answer and ends up incentivizing evasion. If you always get away with it without a cost, why should you ever truthfully answer questions? If more journalists followed his example it'd potentially have some cost at least.
I loved that exchange between Swan and McConnel. I think Swan’s great, and I don’t agree that he didn’t get anywhere. I also don’t think McConnell was all that evasive. After his opening attempts at joking around Swan’s questions (“My wife thinks I’m a great guy.”), McConnell engages and answers the question: There is no “moral red line” for him. None. I don’t know what more he could say to make it plainer that, for him, it’s party uber alles.

He pretty much owned it. He said he’s not walking back anything he said post 1/6, but he doesn’t get to pick the GOP nominee, and he’ll be supporting whoever that is, even if it’s Trump.

That seems pretty on point and pretty substantive to me.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm I loved that exchange between Swan and McConnel. I think Swan’s great, and I don’t agree that he didn’t get anywhere. I also don’t think McConnell was all that evasive. After his opening attempts at joking around Swan’s questions (“My wife thinks I’m a great guy.”), McConnell engages and answers the question: There is no “moral red line” for him. None. I don’t know what more he could say to make it plainer that, for him, it’s party uber alles.

He pretty much owned it. He said he’s not walking back anything he said post 1/6, but he doesn’t get to pick the GOP nominee, and he’ll be supporting whoever that is, even if it’s Trump.

Agreed on all points. Just because you can't comprehend the answers, doesn't mean he was evasive.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:56 pm

I loved that exchange between Swan and McConnel. I think Swan’s great, and I don’t agree that he didn’t get anywhere. I also don’t think McConnell was all that evasive. After his opening attempts at joking around Swan’s questions (“My wife thinks I’m a great guy.”), McConnell engages and answers the question: There is no “moral red line” for him. None. I don’t know what more he could say to make it plainer that, for him, it’s party uber alles.

I don't agree. Swan was trying to get McConnell to answer an important question - what are your lines. He definitely doesn't answer that. You and I can conclude he said there are no lines in the negative, but he never actually said that. I suggest that is how he plays his game. McConnell correctly decoded the trap in the question. He never accepts that what Trump did was a red line. He also doesn't address that topic at all. He moves right around it and does something practiced. He instead refocuses the question to be in line with democratic norms and typical party math. He says in fake exasperation of course I'd support them *because that is the democratic system is supposed to work*. He is relying on that norm to be his out. And he attempts to make the line of questioning sounds foolish.

IMO he got away with not clearly answering the more substantive subtext, would McConnell actually support Trump if there was a clear path to ending our democracy? We simply don't know that from this response or any response he has given. We have our various opinions with some level of certainty but nevertheless it is ambiguous. I simply disagree he answered that clearly. He always leaves himself some wiggle room to play the situation in the maximal way possible at the moment. That's what I saw here.

Edit: Also one more thing I'd like to clear up. I pretty explicitly gave Swan credit for getting a lot out of very little. He did get something out of McConnell for sure. He didn't get the big confession but that's expected. To those of us who know McConnell's history, we clearly get the subtext here. To an audience who isn't as sophisticated? That is the audience he is trying to confuse. And I'm just arguing he does so with ease. That is no criticism of Swan. That is what Swan was trying to do - educate that segment by breaking down the scenario. I was more pointing out that what Swan did was *way more* than say a Chuck Todd would do.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I would agree that Swan is one of the best political interviewers out there today and that he got as much of McConnell on this as can be gotten. But there are pretty significant limits on what one can get out of McConnell - he perfectly well understands how to not answer questions in a way that seems aw shucks harmless to a lot of people and doesn't give much meat to the rest.

But on top of everything else, a vanishingly small percentage of the conservative base will see this, because of our fractured media and because the GOP has a propaganda network focused on its core supporters. I'm thinking more lately that the real harm done by Fox News may even be less what it does cover (though that does do harm) and more what it doesn't cover (negative stories about Republicans other than for RINO deviations from conservative orthodoxy).
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

@malchior - Totally understand you are not throwing shade at Swan. He’s great, and I think on that we agree. I just think the extra something you’re looking for from McConnell is basically a confession, and that’s never gonna happen. The real question Swan never asked but that I’d really like to see put to McConnell isn’t whether he’s party uber alles — I think it’s clear that he is and also that his answers to Swan’s questions basically confirmed that. The real question is, “Why?” McConnell tries to make it out that he’s all about “the people’s choice” and that he’s just a public servant, but I think we all know that is complete and utter bullshit. If given the opportunity, I’d love to see McConnell really pushed on how every one of his political moves is really just a calculated play to maximize and retain personal power.
El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:45 pm But on top of everything else, a vanishingly small percentage of the conservative base will see this, because of our fractured media and because the GOP has a propaganda network focused on its core supporters. I'm thinking more lately that the real harm done by Fox News may even be less what it does cover (though that does do harm) and more what it doesn't cover (negative stories about Republicans other than for RINO deviations from conservative orthodoxy).
This, 100% this.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:44 am @malchior - Totally understand you are not throwing shade at Swan. He’s great, and I think on that we agree. I just think the extra something you’re looking for from McConnell is basically a confession, and that’s never gonna happen.
Not really since I literally said that'd never happen! :lol: I do think we're actually in alignment here though kidding aside. It'd be nice but unlikely we'd ever get anyone to get him to answering 'Why?'. We're probably never going to get a McNamara-like explanation from him.
The real question Swan never asked but that I’d really like to see put to McConnell isn’t whether he’s party uber alles — I think it’s clear that he is and also that his answers to Swan’s questions basically confirmed that. The real question is, “Why?” McConnell tries to make it out that he’s all about “the people’s choice” and that he’s just a public servant, but I think we all know that is complete and utter bullshit. If given the opportunity, I’d love to see McConnell really pushed on how every one of his political moves is really just a calculated play to maximize and retain personal power.
And this was what I'm getting at and why I posted it in the deathwatch thread in the first place. It is painfully obvious that so few American journalists are anywhere near Swan's caliber. And oh right...he isn't an "American" journalist. What we will likely see over time is that Swan will get fewer and fewer interviews or panel spots with top politicians. Especially of the GOP persuasion. Interviews will naturally flow around the rock in the river.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Sad, but probably true. I actually was wondering how Swann got McConnell to sit for that interview in the first place.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:Cool.

Essentially because they weren't quite as corrupt as planned?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

These guys would otherwise have no voice if not for the NY Times. :lol:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:roll:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNN+ looks doomed even a week after its launch. This is due to a huge misalignment with Discovery (CNN's new corporate daddy) and their vision for CNN.
Warner Bros. Discovery has suspended all external marketing spend for CNN+ and has laid off CNN's longtime chief financial officer as it weighs what to do with the subscription streaming service moving forward, five sources tell Axios.

Why it matters: Inside CNN, executives think the launch has been successful. Discovery executives disagree.
  • CNN+ has roughly 150,000 subscribers so far.
  • Warner Bros. Discovery wants to eventually build one giant service around HBO Max.
  • New leadership has replaced CNN CFO Brad Ferrer with Neil Chugani, Discovery's current CFO for streaming and international, as part of a broader finance team restructuring.
  • Other high-level positions at WarnerMedia across different business functions are likely to be eliminated to cut costs and streamline leadership in coming weeks.
What to watch: Sources say a plan is being considered to replace Chris Cuomo's 9:00pm EST primetime slot with a live newscast, instead of personality-driven perspective programming.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm not sure that belongs in the Death Watch thread. Not saying to move it, just saying that the failure of that service doesn't have any broader implications to me as it seemingly launched with no idea of who CNN's watchers were or how people want to get their information from the internet.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a failure per se -- it's been less than 3 weeks since they launched. It sounds more like they simply lost out on a turf war with the new owners at WB Discovery.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:26 am I'm not sure that belongs in the Death Watch thread. Not saying to move it, just saying that the failure of that service doesn't have any broader implications to me as it seemingly launched with no idea of who CNN's watchers were or how people want to get their information from the internet.
My reason for including it is I align this with the bigger trends - vis a vis big business daddies killing news services chasing dollars via media consolidation deals is one of the core root reasons we have this media mess.
malchior

Post by malchior »

My thoughts on the NYT exactly! Well said. Unrolled and cleaned up twitter thread below.
TIL that people still don't understand why so many journalists are mad at Dean Baquet and the NYT.

Yes! There has been much amazing reporting done.

Yes! You can point to many articles about Trump and an anti-democratic GOP.

But, the NYT--uniquely--has the ability to concentrate the world's attention and drive coverage on TV, radio, and every other paper.

It has, largely, used that power to OVER emphasize minor Democratic issues and to UNDER emphasize major GOP issues.

It seems reasonable to expect that historians will remember this period in US history as a time in which a muscular anti-Democratic ethnonationalism emerged and sought to eliminate the country's fundamental values.

The NYT presents the world in which the single-most damaging issue is that people don't get along more, are more divisive, more angry.

It's lapel-grabbing, attention shaping power has, largely, been used to focus the world's attention on nothing issues, like her emails.

Worse, the editor of the NYT is, ex oficio, the definer of high church journalistic best practice.

Baquet has been explicit: if we report on things in such a way that more on "the left" consistently like and more on "the right" consistently don't like, then we have failed.

This is independent of the actual facts on the ground.

This has directly impacted the day-to-day journalistic decisions of the NYT and, as a result, much of the rest of the media.

It is not hard to imagine a different approach. Say Baquet had announced that the NYT's role is to pay close attention to important issues and to cover them factually, accurately, and fearlessly, with appropriate context.

That seems like a fair description of journalism.

I feel confident that nearly every front page, every hero block on nyt.com for the last four years would have been different.

The articles would have been different.

Sharper. Better. More accurate.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:34 am Baquet has been explicit: if we report on things in such a way that more on "the left" consistently like and more on "the right" consistently don't like, then we have failed.
Those were his words, or a translation/consolidation by a twitterer?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:26 am I'm not sure that belongs in the Death Watch thread. Not saying to move it, just saying that the failure of that service doesn't have any broader implications to me as it seemingly launched with no idea of who CNN's watchers were or how people want to get their information from the internet.
My reason for including it is I align this with the bigger trends - vis a vis big business daddies killing news services chasing dollars via media consolidation deals is one of the core root reasons we have this media mess.
With you on that. Also, this CNN Breaking News headline tweet feels very meta.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yeah, it does.

I guess the Netflix announcement didn't give them hope? And yet Warner Brothers Discovery, seems to be doing just fine.

That's a whole lot money someone's gotta answer for. I'm surprised the conceded defeat so quickly after launch.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I don't think it was a matter of conceding defeat. CNN+ launched just before WB Discovery assumed control of CNN, and WB Discovery killed it immediately because it didn't fit into their streaming strategy. The surprising thing is the apparent lack of coordination between CNN and their incoming overlords. As I understand it, the guy at CNN who has to answer for the money invested in CNN+ has already been fired and was replaced by someone from WB Discovery.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:33 am
malchior wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:34 am Baquet has been explicit: if we report on things in such a way that more on "the left" consistently like and more on "the right" consistently don't like, then we have failed.
Those were his words, or a translation/consolidation by a twitterer?
Not exact words but there was an internal memo leaked that wasn't too far off that summation. It essentially was chastising the staff for getting too much visibility on Twitter.

Edit: This lacks a little context - Twitter seems to be seen at the NY Times as a far left platform by many accounts. That's a stretch at best but more importantly he was essentially saying Twitter in particular in all the social media universe was becoming a distraction for the mission of the NY Times. He told the staff that maintaining a 'social media presence' was entirely optional and there was a lot more to the policy shift including online abuse, stomping on social media fueled intraoffice squabbles, lack of focus on their actual work, etc.

Some of the side chatter that came out was the accounts that it was leading to imbalances (aka bias) in reporting and that they were very sensitive to far-right criticism that Twitter was 'their editor'. In fact, they informally started saying that in meetings from some accounts.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:30 pm I don't think it was a matter of conceding defeat. CNN+ launched just before WB Discovery assumed control of CNN, and WB Discovery killed it immediately because it didn't fit into their streaming strategy. The surprising thing is the apparent lack of coordination between CNN and their incoming overlords. As I understand it, the guy at CNN who has to answer for the money invested in CNN+ has already been fired and was replaced by someone from WB Discovery.
This is tied into what I'm getting at. Media has consolidated to the point that all deals are going through rigorous reviews since they keep playing so close to the line on anti-trust issues. In that environment, CNN and WB didn't coordinate prior to the deal review being closed by the government. The story says that the Discovery guys believe they hinted enough about their strategy - align with HBO Max. In the end, though CNNs folks were trying to refocus on hard news/investigative journalism. Discovery is hinting that it'll be tied to the entertainment platform. That Zucker got forced out in a sex scandal in the midst of all this didn't help. He might have been able to forestall this but the point is moot now. Who knows how it'll turn out but I'll bet on it not being an improvement on the poor state of news/journalism in the United States.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trevor Noah roasts the whole establishment. He is relatively sharp throughout and gets big laughs when he is focusing on the politicians. You can feel the tide turn and he loses the crowd when he tears into the media personalities. Especially the last 10 minute where he relentlessly spoke truth about how all the conflicts of interest, access journalism, etc. His ending was especially powerful and I'll spoiler it just in case anyone chooses to watch this.
Spoiler:
He pointed out that Russian journalists face enormous risks and death to speak the truth. He asks the American media what they would think the Russians would do if they had the freedom that the American press does. Razor sharp.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That was fantastic.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

"Please be careful leaving tonight. We all know this Administration doesn't handle evacuations well."

So priceless.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.