The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by YellowKing »

Personally I'd put more than 5% blame on Biden, only because he made the bed of bipartisanship and was elected on it. If you're going to make that part of your platform, it's up to you to deliver on it.

We all knew Republican obstructionism was going to happen, that was a known variable from the get-go.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chuck Todd is such a world class douchenozzle. I'm trying to think who I dislike more out of him, Chris Cillizza, and Maureen Dowd.

In 2031 he's going to open Meet the Press by saying "Emperor Trump executed four more journalists this week for writing articles that he didn't like. Democrats say that he shouldn't do that. How will this impact Trump's unopposed campaign for reelection in 2032?"
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The NY Times paid for a focus group of "independent voters" to talk about Biden. And they essentially trashed him thoroughly. Why did I quote "independent voters"? Because the guy they paid to select and run the panel is Frank Luntz disclaimed as a 'Republican Strategist' in the opinion article.

Left out is a key piece of context - he is Kevin McCarthy's roommate/landlord when McCarthy is in DC. The source of this information? Tucker Carlson. He also runs around every news organization in town bashing Biden up and down. You can't make this shit up. Did the NY Times fire the ethics people along with the public editor? Absolutely shameless stuff here.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm The NY Times paid for a focus group of "independent voters" to talk about Biden. And they essentially trashed him thoroughly. Why did I quote "independent voters"? Because the guy they paid to run the panel is Frank Luntz disclaimed as a 'Republican Strategist' in the opinion article.

Left out is a key piece of context - he is Kevin McCarthy's roommate/landlord when McCarthy is in DC. The source of this information? Tucker Carlson. You can't make this shit up. Did the NY Times fire the ethics people along with the public editor? Absolutely shameless stuff here.
I don't read or keep up with the NYT anymore, but have they done a 180 politically, or am I just misremembering? Didn't they used to be accused of, and actually BE, liberal leaning with their bias?

I've seen quite a few references on here over the past 3-4 years from you guys complaining about shit coverage, or blatant bias.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pmI don't read or keep up with the NYT anymore, but have they done a 180 politically, or am I just misremembering? Didn't they used to be accused of, and actually BE, liberal leaning with their bias?
They are accused of it but in reality they were always a liberal-leaning moderate source. Unfortunately now they have serious ethics issues that are becoming more and more apparent over the last few years. They are riddled with conflicts of interest, access journalism concerns, and just repeatedly making incredibly bad decisions. The lack of transparency here is just gross. The Frank Luntz story was a minor scandal in the spring. There is zero chance the people who greenlit this didn't know that story. In any case, I still read the NY Times but I now always find myself reading between the lines because they have become polluted.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good lord. A similar set of circumstance but instead it involved the LA Times.
Pollster Frank Luntz wrote in an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times on Sept. 27, 2020, "As a pollster, I am ethically and professionally required to interpret public opinion accurately, factually and without bias." That article served to preview three Luntz-managed "focus groups" live-streamed by the West Coast's largest newspaper after last year's presidential and vice-presidential debates.

In that op-ed and again on Sept. 29, when the first focus group streamed, the Times wrote, "Luntz has conducted televised focus groups for major news outlets since 1996. He is not working for any presidential candidate or political party in the 2020 election." By Oct. 28, that description had been updated with a final sentence reading, "His political work was primarily for Republicans in the past," although the next two Times focus groups did not include that caveat.

What neither Luntz nor the Los Angeles Times disclosed at the time was that Luntz's work for Republicans was not in the past. In fact, he was working contemporaneously with the top Republican in the House of Representatives. Just two days before his op-ed was published ran and a week before the first focus group, Luntz's firm, FIL, Inc., had been paid $16,850 by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's leadership PAC. A few weeks after the final post-debate focus group, McCarthy's PAC made another payment to Luntz for $21,500. A few weeks after that, McCarthy was living with Luntz in the latter's luxury Washington penthouse.

After inquiries from Salon, Hillary Manning, vice president of communications at the Los Angeles Times, told Salon on Wednesday night that editor's notes had been added to Luntz's op-ed as well as to the focus-group videos he produced on the newspaper's behalf.

In Manning's statement, the Times appeared eager to distance itself from Luntz's work.

"The focus groups were not conducted by the Los Angeles Times," Manning wrote. "Frank Luntz conducted the focus groups, we provided production support, and hosted the video on our platforms. While we regret that Luntz did not originally disclose his work for a political action committee led by Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Bakersfield), the House minority leader, at the time the focus groups were conducted, we believe that the discussion with voters during the campaign was valuable. We have added the disclosure where the videos are published."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ars
One America News is in panic mode after DirecTV decided to drop the right-wing network from its channel lineup.

OAN host Dan Ball on Monday night urged viewers to dig up "dirt" on AT&T Board Chairman William Kennard, a Democrat who was Federal Communications Commission chairman during the Clinton administration and US Ambassador to the European Union under Obama. (AT&T is DirecTV's majority owner.)

A Daily Beast article said Ball told viewers that OAN "is now at war with AT&T."
"On another OAN show on Monday, Trump spokesperson Liz Harrington framed DirecTV’s decision to drop OAN as an extension of a purported communist plot to steal the 2020 presidential election," Media Matters for America wrote.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sort of amusing since AT&T was the majority of the reason they existed in the first place. Guess OANN has served it's purpose.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh NY Times - you're just splashing in the mud now.

The phrasing is hilarious on its own but if it is the same guy...he may be a financial services guy who got a $16K PPP loan. Bitching about a burrito that costs 50 cents more and the NY Times bothered to stick that in a story. You can't make this stuff up. An age of pure bullshit.

malchior

Post by malchior »

And even more people just pointing and laughing at the NY Times.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We've known Newsweek was in the toilet for a long time, but it has a 21st Century Business Plan now!
Newsweek still exists, in name if not content. Founded in 1933, Newsweek was purchased by The Washington Post Company in 1961, and was one of the top-performing magazines in the world. As that industry took a 21st-century beating and Newsweek began experiencing annual losses in the tens of millions of dollars, it was sold in August 2010, and merged with The Daily Beast before being decoupled from the Beast and sold again in 2013 to IBT Media, which rebranded itself as Newsweek Media Group in 2017. In 2018, the Manhattan District Attorney raided NMG headquarters as part of a money-laundering investigation tying the company to the far-right Christian fundamentalist-led Olivet University. Newsweek purged staffers who were reporting on and investigating the company’s wrongdoings and left the editorial operation in the hands of Nancy Cooper, a toady who wouldn’t rock the boat like the previous editor-in-chief Bob Roe did.

Since then, it’s been a right-wing nightmare.
If you have no ethics, selling RW folktales to the true believers is a great way to make money these days..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Newsweek's fall saddens me. It was a trusted source of info since my childhood, and I had to train myself out of clicking on its content after reading a couple of real garbage stories. It also makes DuckDuckGo very sad.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So it seems like even the news side of Fox (which was reasonably solid) is sliding into the abyss.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did they report that 90% of truckers do not support the caravan? They especially don't appreciate the pickup trucks blocking their thoroughfares.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's all fine and good with Fox Nation except they don't want pay wages and they're leading the charge on anger against inflation. How do they think closing down both of major gateways to manufacturing is going to work? Those also being two of the main arteries for trade between Canada and the US?

I don't think I've said this in a few months but fuck Ken Paxton. He is truly despicable. He has a hardon for destroying my state. May he rot in hell as a Trumpian Tool.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:47 pmI don't think I've said this in a few months but fuck Ken Paxton.
As a resident of Texas, allow me to echo this 10-fold. I can't believe this guy still has a job.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:55 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:47 pmI don't think I've said this in a few months but fuck Ken Paxton.
As a resident of Texas, allow me to echo this 10-fold. I can't believe this guy still has a job.
Oh you mean your presently indicted Attorney General? What has it been? 6 almost 7 years? I've never seen anything like it. NJ is corrupt as hell but Texas is the type that truly scares me.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:05 pm
Oh you mean your presently indicted Attorney General? What has it been? 6 almost 7 years? I've never seen anything like it. NJ is corrupt as hell but Texas is the type that truly scares me.
What's going to be truly amazing is when the case gets dismissed for lack of a speedy trial.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:10 pmWhat's going to be truly amazing is when the case gets dismissed for lack of a speedy trial.
Last I checked they were still fighting over *venue*. For 6+ years. And he is the elected AG? I mean really. Though he might be primaried by someone even worse like Gohmert. Good luck Texas.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You think that's amazing? Wait until we re-elect him!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That actually means something to me. I find my distaste for things can become irrational and my growing actual hatred for Ken Paxton is rubbing off my opinion of Texas. It shouldn't but it does. I've taken his actions personally since he led the charge to throw out my vote for 2020.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Ken Paxton is one of those weird cases that turn up in all one party states where nobody actually LIKES the person but they somehow maintain a stranglehold on the party machine. Like, even my die-hard Republican friends loathe him. I don't think I've ever talked to a real-life Ken Paxton supporter - and I talk to people on his staff!!! :shock:
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:09 pm Ken Paxton is one of those weird cases that turn up in all one party states where nobody actually LIKES the person but they somehow maintain a stranglehold on the party machine. Like, even my die-hard Republican friends loathe him. I don't think I've ever talked to a real-life Ken Paxton supporter - and I talk to people on his staff!!! :shock:
Ahh, I know this phenomenon well. Ken Paxton? Meet Lindsey Fucking Graham. I don't think he's as hated as Ted Cruz is in Texas (from what I hear), but apparently Republicans here can't stand him, and never have.
geezer

Post by geezer »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:21 pm
That actually means something to me. I find my distaste for things can become irrational and my growing actual hatred for Ken Paxton is rubbing off my opinion of Texas. It shouldn't but it does. I've taken his actions personally since he led the charge to throw out my vote for 2020.

Not to worry. Texas actually does pretty much suck donkey dong these days, so you’re good. Also, fuck Paxton, Cruz, Abbott and especially Dan Patrick, Louie Gohmert, and Dan Crenshaw, just for good measure. Is that a murderer’s row of deplorables, or what?
geezer

Post by geezer »

geezer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:10 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:21 pm

Not to worry. Texas actually does pretty much suck donkey dong these days, so you’re good. Also, fuck Paxton, Cruz, Abbott and especially Dan Patrick, Louie Gohmert, and Dan Crenshaw, just for good measure. Is that a murderer’s row of deplorables, or what?
Shouldn't post when tired and irritable. Sorry y'all.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They help make us tired and irritable.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:11 pm
Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:09 pm Ken Paxton is one of those weird cases that turn up in all one party states where nobody actually LIKES the person but they somehow maintain a stranglehold on the party machine. Like, even my die-hard Republican friends loathe him. I don't think I've ever talked to a real-life Ken Paxton supporter - and I talk to people on his staff!!! :shock:
Ahh, I know this phenomenon well. Ken Paxton? Meet Lindsey Fucking Graham. I don't think he's as hated as Ted Cruz is in Texas (from what I hear), but apparently Republicans here can't stand him, and never have.
The problem is that a good portion of the Republicans who hate McConnell / Graham / Paxton / etc. hate them because they're not crazy *enough*. So when the choice is between them and a Democrat, well at least they're crazier than the Democrat.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:50 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:11 pm
The problem is that a good portion of the Republicans who hate McConnell / Graham / Paxton / etc. hate them because they're not crazy *enough*. So when the choice is between them and a Democrat, well at least they're crazier than the Democrat.
In world isn't Paxton crazy enough? No, wait. Don't answer that. I don't wanna know.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In the annals of the Death Watch we have the curious case of what happened with Maggie Haberman last night. She has a book forthcoming called Confidence Men about Trump. It turns out that she like several before her sat on a 'big splash' story. In the book will be an account that the White House had an issue with clogged toilets because Trump was flushing documents.

That sounds like something that rightly belonged in the NY Times. Unless it shouldn't have. And that's the rub with these unethical book deals. Did she learn this information but the sourcing was too thin to report it, and instead it made it into her book where it'll be reported out then? Trump could now claim that with a straight face. Or did she just simply sit on the story for money? Except we have a partial answer to that.

The NY Times published a story last night about issues with reconstructing Trump's actions during the Capitol Riot and includes the clogged toilet allegations. The online edition of the story includes a link to a story at Axios about the goddamned book itself. (Always Drink Your Ovaltine). It has the stink of deeply unethical stuff.

Also, it isn't hard to contrast that the NY Times published hundreds of stories about Hillary's emails but potentially sat on a story about Trump destroying actual documents as President. We don't know when she learned it to be fair. But there have been accounts she has been writing the book for some time. And the curious case got weirder when the left pointed this out and the 'very serious people' (sorry Kurth) uniformly rose to her defense and ignored these fundamental issues to blindly defend her. It's ugly stuff but I'm not surprised. The corruption is everywhere. The rot is deep. Luckily Pitchbot is there to be our collective Court Jester to at least laugh a little.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I like Haberman's reporting, for the most part, but that link selling her upcoming book has no business appearing in an NYT article. That's seriously fucked.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

She is a good reporter for sure but I sometimes can't see beyond the ethical issues that swirl in her orbit. A lot related to access journalism concerns. I typically give her the benefit of the doubt but this just looks icky.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Her reputation during the Trump years took a hit as it seemed as if she coddled and avoided criticisms of the president and his family in order to maintain her access. Holding back potentially damaging info like this seems pretty par for the course with her.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:04 am Her reputation during the Trump years took a hit as it seemed as if she coddled and avoided criticisms of the president and his family in order to maintain her access. Holding back potentially damaging info like this seems pretty par for the course with her.
She broke a lot of really damaging stories for Trump, though. To the extent that any bad stories actually impacted him, I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:07 amShe broke a lot of really damaging stories for Trump, though. To the extent that any bad stories actually impacted him, I suppose.
Right and 'access journalism' isn't necessarily a bad thing. Any reporter has to tread between not burning down sources and getting information. Where I think the turbulence here is that she has a reputation with her peers that is very different from the public view. She might have sat on this juicy story to make money. That is applauded by her peers, who are also trying to trade favor with a powerful reporter, while the rest of us watch this and wonder how corrupt the game actually is while the republic burns.

It comes down to details which few or only she knows and trust in her has eroded too much. For example, if she learned about this potential crime by Trump in August 2020 in the heat of the campaign. That makes her a hypocrite when you compare the way she burned Clinton to the ground with many bullshit 'her emails' stories. Perhaps, she learned this interviewing former aides after Trump was out of office. That's a very different matter. But again potentially a crime that she sat on the information.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:34 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:07 amShe broke a lot of really damaging stories for Trump, though. To the extent that any bad stories actually impacted him, I suppose.
Right and 'access journalism' isn't necessarily a bad thing. Any reporter has to tread between not burning down sources and getting information. Where I think the turbulence here is that she has a reputation with her peers that is very different from the public view. She might have sat on this juicy story to make money is applauded by her peers, who are also trying to trade favor with a powerful reporter, while the rest of us watch this and wonder how corrupt the game actually is while the republic burns. It comes down to details which few or only she knows and trust in her has eroded too much.
Yeah. I guess at the end of the day where I come out is that she has her issues but she adds more value than she takes away on balance. Plus where the NYT is concerned I have way more beef with their editors and headline writers.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:38 amYeah. I guess at the end of the day where I come out is that she has her issues but she adds more value than she takes away on balance.
This I'm not so sure of. Still it isn't a Haberman-only issue for me. It is that she is a star in a 'system' of elite privilege that has become rotten to the core. She and her peers often knows vital information to the health of our nation and republic. And their first thoughts really appears to be - can we monetize that information and can we do it in a way to make sure that we can continue to monetize it in the future. For those not so materialistic, it might be about preserving prestige and soft power. I'm not naïve and think this is a new thing but it has gotten to the point that people all across the political spectrum no longer trust that members of the media are honest dealers. Many don't trust the information for that amongst many reasons. There is also tons of misinformation being injected and people can't tell which way is up. That very well might be (and seems to be) accelerating the cycle of decline.
Plus where the NYT is concerned I have way more beef with their editors and headline writers.
I think they're all tied in to the same mechanisms. I don't even know if I blame individuals anymore and perhaps she is just the symbol that people are pointing at for various reasons.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Washington Post

FWIW a few folks have been predicting this turn of events and think the case is a trap. They feel it'll be appealed - perhaps directly to SCOTUS - to take a whack at Sullivan. It's sad this is even a possibility that is being kicked around but it does fit the emerging pattern.
A judge on Monday indicated he will dismiss Sarah Palin’s libel case against the New York Times, saying she had not met the legal standard showing that the newspaper acted with “actual malice” in publishing a 2017 editorial that included an inaccurate claim about her.

Judge Jed S. Rakoff told the lawyers involved in the case that he will formally issue his ruling after a jury that has been deliberating since Friday returns its decision.

Rakoff said that because the decision is likely to be appealed — a path that could upend long-standing legal protections for journalists who write about public figures — he wanted future courts to have both his decision and the jury’s to consider.

Rakoff did not spare the Times criticism for its error, a collection of phrases within a larger essay that inaccurately suggested a link of “incitement” between the crosshairs that her political action committee imprinted on a congressional map and a 2011 mass shooting in Tucson.

“This is an example of very unfortunate editorializing on the part of the Times,” he said, adding that he was “not at all happy to make this decision” in its favor.

However, he told the parties gathered in a courtroom in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York in Manhattan, “The law sets a very high standard for actual malice, and in this case the court finds that that standard has not been met.”

While Palin’s attorneys argued that the paper’s then-editorial page editor, James Bennet, had acted recklessly in publishing assertions he should have known were false, a Times lawyer described a frantic rewriting session on deadline that resulted in “a mess-up … a goof” that Bennet regretted immediately and corrected as quickly as possible.

Ultimately, Rakoff concluded that Palin’s team did not prove that Bennet knew the statements were false nor even that he suspected they might be false and then recklessly disregarded that possibility.

The case — the first libel lawsuit against the Times to go to trial in the United States in nearly two decades — has taken a long and winding path that has left press-freedom advocates concerned that it could open journalists to more legal threats from the powerful people they write about.

Two conservative Supreme Court justices — Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch — have signaled an openness to reassessing a landmark 1964 ruling that set a high bar for prominent people pursuing libel claims.
malchior

Post by malchior »

With the jury verdict and the judge's findings most lawsplainers think that this case won't be the one to take another bite at Sullivan.
malchior

Post by malchior »

With the jury verdict and the judge's findings most lawsplainers I read think that this case won't be the one to take another bite at Sullivan.

Edit: Good grief. Well this probably does have some life in it.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Gross