Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Post by pr0ner »

Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:50 pm Florence Pugh is in negotiations to play Princess Irulan. Good choice IMO.

It also means the Emperor will be Caucasian (sorry Idris Elba fans).

This is complete fan-casting from my side, but I'd love for Matthew Goode to play the Emperor. They're probably going to pick a bigger name, though.
Ehh. The Emperor in Lynch's Dune was Puerto Rican, which didn't stop them from casting Virginia Madsen as Irulan.

Probably means you won't get a black Emperor, but there's nothing saying he needs to be Caucasian, either.
Hodor.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:35 pm Just finished reading the first book. I cannot WAIT for the second movie!! Woooo

Muad’ Dib!
Muad’ Dib!
You should read the second book, too (Messiah). It's sort of an epilogue or conclusion to Paul's arc and is quite short. In my opinion the most underrated of the Dune novels. It gives some perspective on what kind of world order Paul has created and hammers home the message of the first book nicely.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:57 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:50 pm Florence Pugh is in negotiations to play Princess Irulan. Good choice IMO.

It also means the Emperor will be Caucasian (sorry Idris Elba fans).

This is complete fan-casting from my side, but I'd love for Matthew Goode to play the Emperor. They're probably going to pick a bigger name, though.
Ehh. The Emperor in Lynch's Dune was Puerto Rican, which didn't stop them from casting Virginia Madsen as Irulan.

Probably means you won't get a black Emperor, but there's nothing saying he needs to be Caucasian, either.
Fair enough.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:58 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:35 pm Just finished reading the first book. I cannot WAIT for the second movie!! Woooo

Muad’ Dib!
Muad’ Dib!
You should read the second book, too (Messiah). It's sort of an epilogue or conclusion to Paul's arc and is quite short. In my opinion the most underrated of the Dune novels. It gives some perspective on what kind of world order Paul has created and hammers home the message of the first book nicely.
Just finished. Starting on ‘Children’ now.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:38 pm

Muad’ Dib!
Muad’ Dib!
If you finish that one, you might as well read the rest. If not, then nothing beyond will change your opinion.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:48 am

Muad’ Dib!
Muad’ Dib!
If you finish that one, you might as well read the rest. If not, then nothing beyond will change your opinion.
Not picking up what you're laying down. Are you suggesting the series is bad, or good? Or just that "Children" is very similar to all the books that follow?
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Muad’ Dib!
Muad’ Dib!
Not picking up what you're laying down. Are you suggesting the series is bad, or good? Or just that "Children" is very similar to all the books that follow?
Yeah I don't understand it either. God-Emperor is very different from Children, and Heretics/Chapterhouse are quite something else entirely.

I suppose what he means is quality-wise, it doesn't get any better from Children and on from a literary standpoint. So if you find Children lackluster, you'll probably find the last three books lackluster, too. Dune (the first novel) is heads and shoulders above the other books in quality.
Is there anyone in hell?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lagom Lite wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:39 pm

Muad’ Dib!
Muad’ Dib!
Yeah I don't understand it either. God-Emperor is very different from Children, and Heretics/Chapterhouse are quite something else entirely.

I suppose what he means is quality-wise, it doesn't get any better from Children and on from a literary standpoint. So if you find Children lackluster, you'll probably find the last three books lackluster, too. Dune (the first novel) is heads and shoulders above the other books in quality.
OK, that's good to know. I will be stopping after Children then, if that's the case. Too much other great stuff to read!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wiiiiillll kill him!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:31 pm I wiiiiillll kill him!
Walking around the Dune part 1 set yelling that over and over didn't get you the part, eh?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I couldn't get the Feyd costume back from the cleaner soon enough, so I had to make do with a sand worm outfit I made out of tape and chicken wire. Since I couldn't walk around the set while bundled up in all that, I hired some local kids to just roll me around. Unfortunately, the little bastards were obviously hyped up on candy and decided it would be funny to see how fast they could get me moving, and I ended up crashing into the food service table. I'm still finding bits of shrimp scampi in various crevices of my body. :(
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Side note: I still find it funny that the actor they hired to play Feyd in the SyFy channel mini series was also in Waiting for Guffman.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:31 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:39 pm

Muad’ Dib!
Muad’ Dib!

OK, that's good to know. I will be stopping after Children then, if that's the case. Too much other great stuff to read!
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I quite like them, but they aren't for everyone and they get weirder as they go.
I think a lot of the people that bounce off of them are disapointed that the main thread isn't what they expect.
And if you are reading them just to see what happens at the end, you are reading them for the wrong reason.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd never heard of him, but he looks like a young Val Kilmer. I think that'll work for Feyd.

Presumably he'll be bald like the other Harkonnens.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:15 pm Presumably he'll be bald like the other Harkonnens.
In the books, Feyd was a "beautiful boy." Physically, casting Sting in the Lynch version was one of the best decisions after casting Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck. But he couldn't really act, which probably was the main reason most of the Feyd scenes from the book were dropped.

When is the next one supposed to be out, and will it complete the book or are they going to drag it out to a trilogy?
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:16 pm When is the next one supposed to be out, and will it complete the book or are they going to drag it out to a trilogy?
Dune 2 is expected to finish the first novel (which makes sense since it stopped about halfway through). IIRC, Villeneuve has said he wants to do DUNE MESSIAH as a single film and then stop there.

Dunno about release dates. I'm not sure if they've even begun filming, but I imagine the funding is no problem because DUNE is up for a slew of Oscars (including Best Picture).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:16 pm When is the next one supposed to be out, and will it complete the book or are they going to drag it out to a trilogy?
February 43rd of §€¥£

And no, they’re going full quarter ass and covering 1/4th of each book with each movie.

:P
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Then why are they casting Irulan? She's not even in the 1st book (well, not really in person, anyway).
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

gilraen wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:30 pm Then why are they casting Irulan? She's not even in the 1st book (well, not really in person, anyway).
She'd be a part of the Emperor's entourage, I'd imagine, when the Emperor arrives at Arrakis to berate the Harkonnen effort against the Fremen. They could give her some lines here and there. They could sneak in some scene where she records some stuff in a diary or writes a history book - that's what's implied that she does in the first novel with the historical quotes. They could also hint tht Irulan could be wedded to Feyd if they want to raise the stakes towards the climax of the movie, maybe have a scene between them. Sort of mirroring Paul/Chani.

Thea reason for casting Irulan is:
- She was mentioned in Part 1 (in the testing station, Paul floats the idea that the Emperor has unwed daughters)
- She'd be the "prize" that Paul is seeking. By marrying the Princess, Paul has succeeded with his ambition. So, the audience has to see her.
- She has a larger dramatic role in Messiah, which DV has expressed interest in doing. If they don't cast Irulan now, she'd come out of nowhere in that film.

But it's entirely possible that Pugh won't have too much screentime in Part 2.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:16 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:15 pm Presumably he'll be bald like the other Harkonnens.
In the books, Feyd was a "beautiful boy." Physically, casting Sting in the Lynch version was one of the best decisions after casting Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck. But he couldn't really act, which probably was the main reason most of the Feyd scenes from the book were dropped.

When is the next one supposed to be out, and will it complete the book or are they going to drag it out to a trilogy?
Part 2 is slated for October 23rd, 2023. They being filming as the end of this summer.

Part 2 concludes the first book. A third movie would be an adaptation of Messiah, but that's going to be years off - Villeneuve has said he want's to film Part 2 quickly and then wait "a few years" to do Messiah.
Is there anyone in hell?

Holman

Post by Holman »

gilraen wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:30 pm Then why are they casting Irulan? She's not even in the 1st book (well, not really in person, anyway).
Because tradition is important.

Florence Pugh:

Enlarge Image

Atreides Pug:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Seriously, though, Irulan is silent but present in the final scene of the book. There's a touching moment where Paul says (paraphrase) "That princess over there will be my wife, but Chani will always be my love." So there has to be a princess over there.

If they're smart, they make sure we see her much earlier, probably at the Emperor's side whenever he appears, so we'll know she's important.
coopasonic

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm So, I hope you can excuse my patheticocity, but I have literally no knowledge of Dune other than "the spice must flow" and the existence of sandworms. I do enjoy epic sci-fi/fantasy. Should I see this?

Bonus, I have HBO Max in a room with a 4k HDR projector, 7.1 surround and ~100" screen, so it's "free."
Did you like other Villeneuve SF films (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, etc)? If so, this is a must-see.
It looks Arrival is the only thing in his filmography I have ever seen and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Searching his name got me this headline:
Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ Can Convert Any Sandworm Virgin

I guess I'll give it a look.
I finally gave it a look and loved it, with one caveat. I feel like at the end of the movie when the credits rolled, it was time for the opening credits to be rolling.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I cringed so hard at that last line. I think the only way to cringe harder, would be if it immediately cut to This
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is available to stream on Crave now, here in Canada.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

little taste ....makes me want to play EoD the rts.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Director of Chernobyl Johan Renck will direct the first two episodes of Dune: The Sisterhood for HBO Max. The article also mentions that the show takes place 10,000 years before the event of the Dune movie - which would place it right after the Butlerian Jihad, when the Bene Gesserit, the Spacing Guild and the Order of Mentats are formed.

Worldbuilding, anyone?
Is there anyone in hell?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...just don't get that hack Brian Herbert to do any of the heavy lifting. :twisted:
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I thought Dune took place 10,000 years into the future. What is the time setting for the original Dune story?

Edit - Never mind. I forgot I have access to Google. It's 20,000 years into the future.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lagom Lite wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:38 pm Director of Chernobyl Johan Renck will direct the first two episodes of Dune: The Sisterhood for HBO Max. The article also mentions that the show takes place 10,000 years before the event of the Dune movie - which would place it right after the Butlerian Jihad, when the Bene Gesserit, the Spacing Guild and the Order of Mentats are formed.

Worldbuilding, anyone?
I'm not sure we need this.

The biggest way to fail would be to establish straight-line continuity between the Dune world we know and the world 10,000 years prior. Unfortunately, Herbert's sense of history (in both directions) seems prone to that sort of thing.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:24 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:38 pm Director of Chernobyl Johan Renck will direct the first two episodes of Dune: The Sisterhood for HBO Max. The article also mentions that the show takes place 10,000 years before the event of the Dune movie - which would place it right after the Butlerian Jihad, when the Bene Gesserit, the Spacing Guild and the Order of Mentats are formed.

Worldbuilding, anyone?
I'm not sure we need this.

The biggest way to fail would be to establish straight-line continuity between the Dune world we know and the world 10,000 years prior. Unfortunately, Herbert's sense of history (in both directions) seems prone to that sort of thing.
To be fair to Frank Herbert, I always thought that was kind of the point of the ten thousand year permanence - the Corrino empire with the long-term Bene Gesserit breeding program, CHOAM, Landsraad and the Spacing Guild monopoly had become super-stable to the point of becoming stagnant. And stagnacy itself, the inability to adapt, is the great threat to humanity.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

McNutt wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:02 pm I thought Dune took place 10,000 years into the future. What is the time setting for the original Dune story?

Edit - Never mind. I forgot I have access to Google. It's 20,000 years into the future.
Yeah there has been ten thousand years of status quo in the novel (10,181 years after the formation of the Spacing Guild, "AG").
Is there anyone in hell?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Emperor Shaddam IV cast
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m not sure that will work well as he’s become a walking meme the last decade or so. He’s talented, don’t get me wrong. But it’s difficult to separate the actor from the man at this stage. Any role he takes, I just see the shoulder shrugs and hear the halting speech.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:09 pm Emperor Shaddam IV cast
That scares me a little. Christopher Walken is one of those actors known for being himself rather than his character, and his essential quality is weirdness. My worry is that people will giggle at the sight of him before he even delivers a line.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think I just paraphrased Hepcat before even reading his post.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Although I would love to see him give Paul a watch midway through the film while telling him his father smuggled it out of House Harkonnen in his ass.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He is also far too old. The Emperor should look much younger than his actual age.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:28 pm Christopher Walken is one of those actors known for being himself rather than his character, and his essential quality is weirdness.
It's Dune. Weirdness is a desired quality. I admit it's a surprising choice. But I think Walken may surprise. Obviously, they can't control the audience's reaction... but I have no problem keeping an open mind, and I think Villeneuve et al. know what they're doing. It's like casting Nic Cage in a grounded role. It occasionally happens, and he proves he can still act like a normal person. The rest is suspension of disbelief.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg