The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The American Apocalypse

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote:Oh, and I actually predicted this to a friend but am amazed how quickly it has come to pass. Electing Trump is really bad for the gun industry. We all know that when the evil Obama was in office it created a ridiculous demand for guns and ammo. We've learned that just 3% of Americans own half the guns (and I bet bought a bunch of those over Obama's terms). Now without being able to scare gun nuts into spending all their money to prepare for the Barackolypse, gun stocks have plunged 20%.

Is this when MSD says, thanks Trump?
Like I mentioned earlier it means that ammo is much cheaper, thankfully. It also means that all those used firearms are going to go for rock bottom prices as the panic buyers have to start paying their debts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
raydude

Post by raydude »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Enough wrote:Oh, and I actually predicted this to a friend but am amazed how quickly it has come to pass. Electing Trump is really bad for the gun industry. We all know that when the evil Obama was in office it created a ridiculous demand for guns and ammo. We've learned that just 3% of Americans own half the guns (and I bet bought a bunch of those over Obama's terms). Now without being able to scare gun nuts into spending all their money to prepare for the Barackolypse, gun stocks have plunged 20%.

Like I mentioned earlier it means that ammo is much cheaper, thankfully. It also means that all those used firearms are going to go for rock bottom prices as the panic buyers have to start paying their debts.
I'm having trouble following the buyer's logic in the last sentence. What, did they think Armageddon triggered by a Hillary win meant they didn't have to pay off debts with money that went into buying guns?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

raydude wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:

I'm having trouble following the buyer's logic in the last sentence. What, did they think Armageddon triggered by a Hillary win meant they didn't have to pay off debts with money that went into buying guns?
Well yeah. When shit goes down and you're living the prepper's dream would you rather be debt free under the banking rules of a dead republic or heavily armed against rights-grabbing stormtroopers?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

For me, none of these things are shocking in and of themselves, which is why I'm less skeptical. There have certainly been plenty of hate crimes that have occurred every year regardless of who's President. I've known victims of bigoted attacks. I know someone that got doxxed. I've been called slurs.

It's the sheer amount that we're seeing right now that's so shocking. That coupled with the risk of a Trump presidency taking away some of the protections we've had.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:

Buyers market baby! Swell news indeed.
Rip

Post by Rip »

raydude wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:

Of course, what bill collector goes around knocking on doors during an Armageddon?

Besides, Armageddon spoils are the bestest spoils.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Defiant wrote:It's the sheer amount that we're seeing right now that's so shocking. That coupled with the risk of a Trump presidency taking away some of the protections we've had.
In epidemiology one of the things we watch for is making sure we are comparing actual to expected and one of the things that can make it feel like a disease outbreak is occuring (when it's not) is a change in how diseases are reported. Another is when the media starts covering an incident and suddenly everyone thinks they have it or know someone that has similar symptoms. It's called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon - but I digress.

What I was really trying to get to is that GLAAD has indicated that 2016 is now the deadliest year on record for transgender people in the U.S.. Are we really seeing increased levels of violence (actual vs expected) or is it that collectively as a society we're getting better at recognizing and reporting these events (on a national scale) when they're happening?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote: What I was really trying to get to is that GLAAD has indicated that 2016 is now the deadliest year on record for transgender people in the U.S.. Are we really seeing increased levels of violence (actual vs expected) or is it that collectively as a society we're getting better at recognizing and reporting these events (on a national scale) when they're happening?
Oh, definitely, that's a valid concern, especially with the increased visibility of the LGBT community in recent years (is it increased visibility that's making us recognize the problem that's existed, or is the problem worsening because of increased visibility of the community?)

But I don't think feel like that's what we're seeing now
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smutly wrote: You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election. Push to change it. But don't break it. Don't break what our predecessors spent over two centuries building. That's not being faithful to what this country's about.
That's a noble concept. I don't recall you being up in arms when the Republicans did precisely the same thing to Obama for eight years, though.

That being said, I agree that the Democrats should try to use compromise and work with Trump and the Republicans. I expect them to use every tool at their disposal to fight back against bullshit like a Muslim registry or a rollback of rights for LGBT citizens, though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Are we really seeing increased levels of violence (actual vs expected) or is it that collectively as a society we're getting better at recognizing and reporting these events (on a national scale) when they're happening?
Or is it just confirmation bias causing us to note reports of relatively minor crimes that have been commonplace all along?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

There has been a significant rise in racist assaults and just plain racist expression in Britain since the Brexit vote. It's not something people are just imagining.

Nativism isn't patriotism. It's based in anger and resentment, and anger and resentment seek targets.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

gbasden wrote:
Smutly wrote: You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election. Push to change it. But don't break it. Don't break what our predecessors spent over two centuries building. That's not being faithful to what this country's about.
That's a noble concept. I don't recall you being up in arms when the Republicans did precisely the same thing to Obama for eight years, though.

That being said, I agree that the Democrats should try to use compromise and work with Trump and the Republicans. I expect them to use every tool at their disposal to fight back against bullshit like a Muslim registry or a rollback of rights for LGBT citizens, though.
Those weren't my words. They were President Obama's in October 2013. Have the rioters stopped rioting yet?

I agree we need to find common ground where it can be found. Either party has and will use whatever devices they have to protect or advance their agendas. Just shows the distrust created over years of fucking each other over and/or not compromising on issues because they just wanted to be dicks or whatever egotistical reason that got them there.

When I run for benevolent dictator, I will require your support.

edit: grammar police
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I'm glad we agree to stop harassing and intimidating each other on this message board.

As an aside, there is video footage of voters being beaten for supporting their candidate. Terrible.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply

Post by Default »

I'm sure it is all a misunderstanding. :roll: :evil:
They are going to be the organization that I donate to in the paycheck. Considering what douchenozzles feel empowered by this election, I feel that it's going to be a lifetime habit.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Smutly wrote:
I'm glad we agree to stop harassing and intimidating each other on this message board.

As an aside, there is video footage of voters being beaten for supporting their candidate. Terrible.
That's also shitty, and just so it's clear, I condemn that too. I don't think anyone here was implying that there's no way violence could happen on either side. Based on the evidence we've seen so far, and there's nothing saying we have the complete story, it certainly seems like there's more incidents directed at non-white and LGBTQ folks than toward Trump supporters. I am open to being proven wrong if new information presents itself.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

In answer to Smutly, no, the rioters haven't stopped rioting yet. And it absolutely sucks.

One of the things I like about Portland is that it's such a relaxed and friendly place compared to where I'm from back east (Boston/NYC/Philly). Yet, here in Portland, the reaction to Trump's election is off the charts. We are going on our 4th night of protests, and, after the vandalism and hooliganism of the last two night (including somebody getting shot), there's no way to look at this as anything but a riot. These people are defacing historic monuments, busting up small businesses (restaraunts downtown have been particularly hard hit) and basically causing havoc. Their tantrum needs to stop.

All these groups forming and labeling themselves, "The Resistance," are a joke. WTF do they think they're doing? Trump hasn't even taken office yet. What are they "resisting" besides the democratic norms that require that citizens of this country respect the electoral process and the peaceful transition of power? "Not My President?" Really? Cause I could have sworn we just had an election, and that a-hole won. Live with it.

At this point, I can only imagine how the protests/riots are being taken by the nearly half the country that voted for Trump. One big "See, we knew it!" Leaders on the left (all leaders, for that matter) need to get out in front of this and condemn this lawless crap ASAP.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I stand corrected. Yeah, that should stop. Though depending what the administration actually does, I might be perfectly okay with returning to it if necessary.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Rip

Post by Rip »

On the bright side the numbers aren't really huge or anything and most of the protests are just that and refrain from destroying stuff and blocking traffic. It should subside over time.

My one concern is the slight chance that they actually convince the EC to do something stupid. Trying to rob Trump of the presidency at this point would in my mind certainly push the country into really violent protests and clashes and nothing good could possibly come from it.

Even if you hate Trump the best path at this point is to let him screw the pooch for 4 years and use it to turn the tide to not only win back the presidency but to make inroads into the houses of congress. Instead of rioting they should be spending the next 4 years community organizing and making sure that come next election they are prepared to break turnout records.

At this point they are failing at even coming together and reorganizing their leadership for the future. Hard to defeat a political enemy when you are saddled by so much indifference, infighting, and finger pointing. Don't miss the opportunity to build a party that doesn't revolve around the Clintons.

I'm pretty sure the Republicans have finally discarded the Bush dynasty from the stage and hopefully they can use this time to find and groom better candidates than Trump as they also look to the future.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rip wrote: At this point they are failing at even coming together and reorganizing their leadership for the future. Hard to defeat a political enemy when you are saddled by so much indifference, infighting, and finger pointing. Don't miss the opportunity to build a party that doesn't revolve around the Clintons.
They will...how about you give them more than 4 days to do it?
Rip

Post by Rip »

gilraen wrote:
Rip wrote: At this point they are failing at even coming together and reorganizing their leadership for the future. Hard to defeat a political enemy when you are saddled by so much indifference, infighting, and finger pointing. Don't miss the opportunity to build a party that doesn't revolve around the Clintons.
They will...how about you give them more than 4 days to do it?
I will, heck I will give them four years. I hope they succeed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What's funny is that in a Fringe universe, there's another thread about the American Apocalypse where Hillary Clinton won and there are similar protests (and possibly riots) happening across the United States. There was going to be grumblings either way - I don't know how anyone following the last ~18 months would think otherwise.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Rip wrote:On the bright side the numbers aren't really huge or anything and most of the protests are just that and refrain from destroying stuff and blocking traffic. It should subside over time.

My one concern is the slight chance that they actually convince the EC to do something stupid. Trying to rob Trump of the presidency at this point would in my mind certainly push the country into really violent protests and clashes and nothing good could possibly come from it.

Even if you hate Trump the best path at this point is to let him screw the pooch for 4 years and use it to turn the tide to not only win back the presidency but to make inroads into the houses of congress. Instead of rioting they should be spending the next 4 years community organizing and making sure that come next election they are prepared to break turnout records.

At this point they are failing at even coming together and reorganizing their leadership for the future. Hard to defeat a political enemy when you are saddled by so much indifference, infighting, and finger pointing. Don't miss the opportunity to build a party that doesn't revolve around the Clintons.

I'm pretty sure the Republicans have finally discarded the Bush dynasty from the stage and hopefully they can use this time to find and groom better candidates than Trump as they also look to the future.
Who the hell are you and what have you done with the real Rip?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Intellectually speaking - fuck riots and rioters.

Given that I'm a human being however, and noting that we just spent 18 months with this turd agitating all manner of people against all manner of other people in his quest for bigger cheers (the only thing he truly cares about) - what the hell would we expect? We had a Presidential candidate go on TV *repeatedly* encouraging his followers to go to "those" neighborhoods to make sure "they" don't steal the election. He's called other ethnic groups rapists and criminals. He's been out there grabbing pussies for who knows how long? Banning Muslims at the gates. The list goes on.

In the words of Van Jones, there's a price to be paid for that sort of rhetoric. Trump and his supporters need to pay it. That's the cost of how they achieved this victory.

That said - after four days, I think that what scares me the most is that Trump is clearly going to be such a spectacular disappointment to those that elected him, that I shudder to think what their fury will elect next (Sen. Tom Cotton?).

Build the Wall! Build the Wall! It took less than four days for Gingrich to admit that it was just something you say, not something you actually do...
Lock Her Up!! Lock Her Up!! It took less than one day for Guiliani to acknowledge that *maybe* some people were exaggerating the evidence, and maybe we should look at it first before jailing people...
Repeal Obamacare!! Repeal Obamacare!! It took less than two days for even Ann fucking Coulter to go on TV and pump the brakes on that whole "repealing Obamacare" thing...

Maybe it's possible that Donald Trump will bring this nation together? Next week when he flips and acknowledges that we aren't leaving NAFTA and that he supports the TPP, that should do the trick.

Edit to add: Shit, at this point there's probably a 50/50 chance that he'll flip and be the most pro-Climate Change President we've ever seen.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
Make up bags of change
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Chaz wrote:
Who the hell are you and what have you done with the real Rip?
Hey, I want to say a heartfelt thanks. I like having voices that disagree with me on this board, and hearing honest thoughts and feelings is awesome. I really appreciate Rip 2.0.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote:What's funny is that in a Fringe universe, there's another thread about the American Apocalypse where Hillary Clinton won and there are similar protests (and possibly riots) happening across the United States. There was going to be grumblings either way - I don't know how anyone following the last ~18 months would think otherwise.
Exactly - "someone Evil" was going to win this election and the political environment is toxic enough that violence was more likely. And if things go the way they are looking like they will - that risk of violence is only going to get worse.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just in case anyone wants to see some video of what downtown Portland has been like the past four nights.

http://www.oregonlive.com

Sad.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

I was expecting the riot to be more riot-y.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kids today just don't wanna put in the effort. They're lazy. Back in MY day, we would've overturned a horseless carriage or two!
RunningMn9 wrote:
Maybe it's possible that Donald Trump will bring this nation together? Next week when he flips and acknowledges that we aren't leaving NAFTA and that he supports the TPP, that should do the trick.
Apparently, the biggest trick pulled this election cycle was a democract getting the republican nomination and then winning the race.
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Just reporting back on that story. My friend said it was the truth, but I told him the similarities seems odd. Anyway, I didn't press him on it

Honestly, I'm now taking his story with a grain of salt
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That seems sensible. I would imagine that would be embarrassing to admit to that for your friend. And of course it *is* possible that it happened to both of them that way.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
Make up bags of change
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Post-election spate of hate crimes worse than post-9/11, experts say
What may seem like a dramatic rise in the number of hate harassment and hate incidents happening across the country in the wake of Tuesday's general election is not in anyone's imagination, experts say.

There indeed has been a spike in the number of reports of such incidents, say representatives for two organizations that track such occurrences. A representative for one group, in fact, said the rise appears to be even worse that what was took place immediately after the terror attacks in 2001.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote:Just in case anyone wants to see some video of what downtown Portland has been like the past four nights.

http://www.oregonlive.com

Sad.
The popover ad at the end for another video said "Suggested by the Oregonian: Simple Flower Arrangement." So that's encouraging anyway.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

RunningMn9 wrote:Maybe it's possible that Donald Trump will bring this nation together? Next week when he flips and acknowledges that we aren't leaving NAFTA and that he supports the TPP, that should do the trick.
One of the things helping me sleep at night is knowing that Trump, even though he's a racist misogynistic asshole, shows no evidence before this election of being a social conservative. His loyal followers (and the GOP) might find themselves completely dumbfounded when he pulls a bait and switch and starts pressing for tougher enforcement of gun laws, doesn't gut LGBT rights, doesn't repeal Obamacare, doesn't cut funding for Planned Parenthood, etc.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Maybe it's possible that Donald Trump will bring this nation together? Next week when he flips and acknowledges that we aren't leaving NAFTA and that he supports the TPP, that should do the trick.
One of the things helping me sleep at night is knowing that Trump, even though he's a racist misogynistic asshole, shows no evidence before this election of being a social conservative. His loyal followers (and the GOP) might find themselves completely dumbfounded when he pulls a bait and switch and starts pressing for tougher enforcement of gun laws, doesn't gut LGBT rights, doesn't repeal Obamacare, doesn't cut funding for Planned Parenthood, etc.
Welcome back. We were beginning to think maybe you had packed it all up and just left. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's my hope as well. I think for him, it's about being loved. When he realizes that everything he promised the folks who put him in office are simply too tough to follow up on, he'll start trying to get that love elsewhere. And since keeping the Obama agenda going will be the easiest path most likely, he'll start wooing the other side of the fence soon.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Skinypupy wrote:Welcome back. We were beginning to think maybe you had packed it all up and just left.
I've been on vacation the entire week at Disney. And never was there a better time to be shielded by the "Disney bubble" than with this election week. It was really refreshing. :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Welcome back. We were beginning to think maybe you had packed it all up and just left.
I've been on vacation the entire week at Disney. And never was there a better time to be shielded by the "Disney bubble" than with this election week. It was really refreshing. :D
And hey, congratulations on the defeat of McCrory, at least.
Black Lives Matter.