Abortion news and discussion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Abortion news and discussion

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:16 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:30 pm This one hits particularly close to home for me. I have three kids via IVF, all from frozen embryos.

Alabama is now saying that families like mine (and thousands of others) simply should not be allowed to exist because of how they interpret God, Jesus, the Bible, etc.

Language has not yet developed a "fuck you" strong enough for the disdain I feel towards these people.
I don't think that's what they are saying. They are saying if you create a frozen embryo, you can't then destroy it because it is a child.
The IVF process almost always produces more embryos than can be implanted. If destroying excess embryos becomes murder, then they are effectively banning IVF because no doctor will take that risk.

Exhibit A:

I feel awful for the women who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars and gone through rounds of very precisely timed drug treatments, only to get told their out of luck while the courts decide what to do.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

:coffee:
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:42 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:16 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:30 pm This one hits particularly close to home for me. I have three kids via IVF, all from frozen embryos.

Alabama is now saying that families like mine (and thousands of others) simply should not be allowed to exist because of how they interpret God, Jesus, the Bible, etc.

Language has not yet developed a "fuck you" strong enough for the disdain I feel towards these people.
I don't think that's what they are saying. They are saying if you create a frozen embryo, you can't then destroy it because it is a child.
The IVF process almost always produces more embryos than can be implanted. If destroying excess embryos becomes murder, then they are effectively banning IVF because no doctor will take that risk.

Exhibit A:

I feel awful for the women who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars and gone through rounds of very precisely timed drug treatments, only to get told their out of luck while the courts decide what to do.
And it’s the same with medically necessary abortions. Doctors cant treat women and women die before treating them because if they treat and save the woman’s life they potentially lose their insurance, their license and potentially go to jail. If the woman dies there might be no consequences.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Imagine if there was an elevated chance that a man would die pre-birth or even at birth? There would be entire hospital dedicated to determining risks and saving mens' lives from their wives' pregnancy
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:35 pmMy understanding is most people donate unused embryos to childless families anyway as GreenGoo did.
Just to be clear, a good number of donations are to science. The donator knows what they are donating to.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:58 pm Imagine if there was an elevated chance that a man would die pre-birth or even at birth? There would be entire hospital dedicated to determining risks and saving mens' lives from their wives' pregnancy
Bumper sticker: "If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

"In summary, the theologically based view of the sanctity of life adopted by the People of Alabama encompasses the following: (1) God made every person in His image; (2) each person therefore has a value that far exceeds the ability of human beings to calculate; and (3) human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself."
Is this the high court, or the high church? How in the hell can a legal ruling be based on make believe? And does this set it up for a challenge on religious freedom grounds?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:28 pm
"In summary, the theologically based view of the sanctity of life adopted by the People of Alabama encompasses the following: (1) God made every person in His image; (2) each person therefore has a value that far exceeds the ability of human beings to calculate; and (3) human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself."
Is this the high court, or the high church? How in the hell can a legal ruling be based on make believe? And does this set it up for a challenge on religious freedom grounds?
Even on its own terms, this theological reasoning is meaningless without defining the crucial term "wrongfully."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Further proving that he is absolutely, without a doubt, the stupidest motherfucker in any room.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The economy requires child sacrifice!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
waitingtoconnect

We also need more child workers. Their little hands are perfect to unjam stuck machinery.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd love to see people start applying for SSNs for frozen embryos.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

7th poorest nation in the country. But please, add more kids you can't take care of. Fuckers.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:03 pm I'd love to see people start applying for SSNs for frozen embryos.
And claiming tax deductions. Dependents: 34.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Imagine the calls to police.

Hello 911? I'd like to report 30 kids trapped in a freezer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:44 am Imagine the calls to police.

Hello 911? I'd like to report 30 kids trapped in a freezer.
:lol: You win the 2 a.m. medal of approval.
waitingtoconnect

Just think about how many kids Tucker Carlson has killed with his testicle tanning. It’s got to be in the billions. The weaponised department of justice needs to act now.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They were wholly unprepared to “catch the car” when it comes to reproductive rights. Watching them all furiously backtracking after seeing how wildly unpopular the Alabama IVF decision was has been crazy.

This would be funny…except for the fact that Johnson co-sponsored a fetal personhood/“life begins at conception” bill one year ago THAT WOULD HAVE DONE THE EXACT SAME THING (outlaw IVF)! Apparently everyone, including the media, is simply going to memory-hole that fact while they spout their empty “we would never do anything to put IVF at risk” platitudes.

As always, draconian reproductive rights measures are fine, just as long as they only affect poor people or minorities. The moment it actually affects one of them personally (or their rich white constituents), then it must immediately be reconsidered.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This (the AL SC ruling) was absolutely bound to happen.

The frozen embryo that needs only to be accepted by its mother to continue its life has always been within the circle of their arguments for prohibiting abortion at any stage of pregnancy.

The IVF world has always feared when the Eye of Sauron would turn its gaze upon them.

Honestly, it's probably for the best ultimate good for as many of these events to happen now, before November, to engage the voters and give as much public exposure to the heart of the GOP's end goal now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I dunno if it's a long term reaction to COVID or the rise of the GOP empowering the worst in people but MAGA is drunk on its empowerment and anecdotally I've seen a rise in violent outburst and threats of violence and implied violence in signage and posture everywhere around me locally. I am beginning to fear more energizing for the worst in us than I am being hopeful for the best in us. So I hope you are right because right now, I'm feeling the doom and gloom.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:52 pm I dunno if it's a long term reaction to COVID or the rise of the GOP empowering the worst in people but MAGA is drunk on its empowerment and anecdotally I've seen a rise in violent outburst and threats of violence and implied violence in signage and posture everywhere around me locally. I am beginning to fear more energizing for the worst in us than I am being hopeful for the best in us. So I hope you are right because right now, I'm feeling the doom and gloom.
Feels like that’s the natural consequence of framing the entire issue as a “holy crusade”, as they’ve consistently done.

While they are very much the minority, the True Believers (TM) are going to feel justified in going to any extreme measures when they don’t get their way.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I agree, anecdotally it seems that everyone has gone full asshole over even the slightest things. Not even politically, just outright no kindness or forgiveness towards others. I see it with neighbors in the way they post to our neighborhood group, I see it out in public, I see it on the road. t's really depressing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:06 pm I agree, anecdotally it seems that everyone has gone full asshole over even the slightest things. Not even politically, just outright no kindness or forgiveness towards others. I see it with neighbors in the way they post to our neighborhood group, I see it out in public, I see it on the road. t's really depressing.
This is probably a topic for another thread, but I do think this is part and parcel of the MAGA legacy.

MAGA made it not only acceptable, but almost necessary to be the biggest asshole possible in any given situation. If you don't get your way 100% and compromise even an inch, that means you are weak and not a "fighter". You see it in the behavior of people like Trump, Miller, Bannon, etc. every single day.

Millions of Americans had kept their asshole behavior in check due to social norms, but once those floodgates opened, all bets were off. There was a green light to be pushy, loud, obnoxious, and opinionated because that meant that you were strong. You were a "patriot". You were sticking up for your beliefs. You were sticking it to the libs.

I think the natural outcome of that behavior has made everyone far less tolerant, less patient, and less likely to give others the benefit of the doubt. If I know - or even suspect - that you are the type who will degrade, demean, and belittle anyone in your path until you get your way, why would I bother to even engage with you in the first place? I'll simply avoid you entirely instead and just avoid the hassle. Which in turn makes me seem rude, unkind, and unforgiving.

I'll fully admit that I form immediate opinions of people based on certain features (MAGA hats, American flag t-shirts, car stickers, etc) that will cause me to disengage with them right away. I'm trying to be better about that, but it's certainly a failure of mine that I need to get better about.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As with YK, around here it's not just the believers, it's every thing and everywhere. Like "I want mine. Keep the fuck away from it and you don't deserve anything, so fuck everything about you! Don't even look my way!" My area is getting more and more that way every year, since before COVID but since 2020 it's off the deep end. To the point that my walks are too often filled with people threatening other people (myself included).

Sorry to veer things from abortion but
Honestly, it's probably for the best ultimate good for as many of these events to happen now, before November, to engage the voters and give as much public exposure to the heart of the GOP's end goal now.
really hit me today. I really want it to be for the good and I'm getting so I need that good to start showing up because around here, it's flat out getting dangerous.

Edit:
I think the natural outcome of that behavior has made everyone far less tolerant, less patient, and less likely to give others the benefit of the doubt. If I know - or even suspect - that you are the type who will degrade, demean, and belittle anyone in your path until you get your way, why would I bother to even engage with you in the first place? I'll simply avoid you entirely instead and just avoid the hassle. Which in turn makes me seem rude, unkind, and unforgiving.

I'll fully admit that I form immediate opinions of people based on certain features (MAGA hats, American flag t-shirts, car stickers, etc) that will cause me to disengage with them right away. I'm trying to be better about that, but it's certainly a failure of mine that I need to get better about.
This is me but I'm also withdrawing more. I just don't want to be around what I'm seeing with ubiquity in public spaces. I'm also not a fan of having to worry about my safety during the pursuit of normal everyday things.
waitingtoconnect

YellowKing wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:06 pm I agree, anecdotally it seems that everyone has gone full asshole over even the slightest things. Not even politically, just outright no kindness or forgiveness towards others. I see it with neighbors in the way they post to our neighborhood group, I see it out in public, I see it on the road. t's really depressing.
Michael Moore covered this in the 2000s. His thesis was we were being kept in a state of fear due to high personal debt just to make a living and constant feelings of being unsafe which would lead to evangelical thinking and eventually great anger.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Fuck your feelings.
- as they say
- - - - -

Not coined by libtards, tree-huggers, dems, minorities, women, lgbt+, etc.

It is not "everyone" that is the core of the problem. And I have trouble lumping anyone with a completely poor attitude into one group when I know that some of them are just pushed into that world by the other world.

I suppose one could argue it's ambiguous which group is which, especially when I describe it like that, but there is only one side that is defendable here and deserving of not being lumped in with the other.

-that being said, I'm not living in the world that you and LM are seeing (Thank goodness), as people around me are still mostly outwardly kind to one another as strangers. What LM describes from their walks about the neighborhood - that seriously chills me.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We’ve gone from a mindset of plenty and limitless possibility to one of greed and fear and anger. MAGA and the GOP definitely paved the way to setting the clock back 100 years on mindset, and they want to do the same for women’s roles.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:53 pm We’ve gone from a mindset of plenty and limitless possibility to one of greed and fear and anger. MAGA and the GOP definitely paved the way to setting the clock back 100 years on mindset, and they want to do the same for women’s roles.
America used to be a land of plenty and limitless possibility. Then MAGA came and turned it into a land of greed, fear and anger.

Let's fight MAGA and GOP. MARGA. Make America Really Great Again. :)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

M.A.S.J.A.L.L.

Make America Suck Just A Little Less.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:18 am M.A.S.J.A.L.L.

Not sure how much you are on Youtube, but are you aware this exists? :)

Foundation to Decrease World Suck
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

While there's obviously no chance I'd vote for Trump this year for any reason, I'm finding more and more that the abortion issue is becoming my number one driver. It's an issue that hits so close to my family that it just angers me beyond all else. I guess in some ways it's become my "rock" because while we can debate economics, foreign policy, Trump's totalitarianism, gas prices, Ukraine, gun control and any other number of subjects, I don't think we can debate the fact that the GOP, given their way, would rather my wife had died than to be saved from her ectopic pregnancy. And they'd rather my best friend, who is one of the nicest guys I've ever known and would make a wonderful father, never be able to have kids. It's just enraging.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Supreme Court, which implies abortion rulings, has been number one since McConnell set things in motion during the Obama admin. I don't see any GOP member getting a vote until the SC reverses course, but no one gets denied more vehemently for my vote than TFG precisely because of what he did to the SC (which implies abortion rulings)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:11 am
Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:18 am M.A.S.J.A.L.L.

Not sure how much you are on Youtube, but are you aware this exists? :)

Foundation to Decrease World Suck
Omg, no.
It sounds like a worthy cause.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:35 am While there's obviously no chance I'd vote for Trump this year for any reason, I'm finding more and more that the abortion issue is becoming my number one driver. It's an issue that hits so close to my family that it just angers me beyond all else. I guess in some ways it's become my "rock" because while we can debate economics, foreign policy, Trump's totalitarianism, gas prices, Ukraine, gun control and any other number of subjects, I don't think we can debate the fact that the GOP, given their way, would rather my wife had died than to be saved from her ectopic pregnancy. And they'd rather my best friend, who is one of the nicest guys I've ever known and would make a wonderful father, never be able to have kids. It's just enraging.
Even where there are exemptions for it, women are being denied treatment-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -abortion/
The law that has prohibited abortions in Texas since Roe v. Wade was overturned now explicitly allows doctors to treat ectopic pregnancies. But when doctors at Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital evaluated Norris-De La Cruz last week, they refused to terminate the pregnancy, saying there was some chance the pregnancy was still viable, Norris-De La Cruz recalled. Instead, they advised her and her mother to go home and wait, according to medical records reviewed by The Washington Post.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If you guys "win" again, I'm sure it will be because the Republicans just can't help themselves from dying on this stupid hill. Not sure why they care so much about what somebody else does to their own progeny? It must be mental illness like little old ladies and their feral cat collections. :doh: It's not like we haven't imported, in the last three years, a population of new people larger than the population of Virginia or 38 other states with smaller populations than Virginia. Not sure why the Republicans would want "more" democrat voters? :doh: :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!

By the way, you ever gonna get around to apologizing for insisting 2000 Mules was factual? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, I guess not. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:21 pm Covfefe!

By the way, you ever gonna get around to apologizing for insisting 2000 Mules was factual? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, I guess not. :mrgreen:
Not
The highlighted findings included 21% of mail-in voters admitting that, in 2020, they voted in a state where they are "no longer a permanent resident," 21% admitting to filling out "a ballot for a friend or family member," 17% saying they "signed a ballot for a friend or family member 'with or without his or her permission,'" and 19% saying that a friend or family member "filled out their ballet, in part or in full, on their behalf."

When looking at "raw survey data," the researchers concluded that 28.2% of survey respondents "who voted by mail admitted to committing at least one kind of voter fraud."
https://www.christianpost.com/news/cons ... ction.html
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So when one argument is proven to be bogus you switch to a different argument so you don't renounce the first one? :doh:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A conservative think tank claims that a recent survey conducted in partnership with Rasmussen Reports shows that over a quarter of Americans engaged in ballot fraud during the 2020 presidential election, drawing questions about the study's methodology.
So your position is that based on a Rasmussen poll ( :roll: ), 25% of American voters - which would be 40 million+ people - engaged in ballot fraud last election.

Yet even with a scale of fraud that incredibly massive, there isn't a single instance that has actually been proven in a court of law despite multiple attempts.

Man, the Deep State is truly amazing! :lol: :lol: