News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I suspect she MUST have a little of that in her to play it so convincingly (even if her abrupt attitude shifts toward certain characters was a bit unbelievable).
I have absolutely ZERO evidence to back it up, but Julia Roberts has always slightly rubbed me the wrong way. I like to think my people sense is pretty good, so maybe I'm picking up on her inner Karen-ness.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm the same way. I'm not a fan of hers. It has zero to do with anything beyond personal prejudice that I have no idea as to how it started though. :?
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

She definitely went full Karen in this one.
FTE
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:16 am I echo the thoughts on Leave the World Behind. Biggest waste of time watching a movie so far this year. And Julia Roberts' character was such an annoying hateful person. It was like Cabin At the End of the World (another movie I hated), but without the suspense.
I feel like she was completely miscast. Maybe that was the point in casting her against type, but she felt completely out of place in a movie like this. It's like she was taking her casual romantic comedy approach to acting in an end-of-the-world scenario. And her character is supposedly an expert in IT, I think it was, but she's not believable at all. And yeah, her attitude towards certain characters makes me think it was her attempt at being edgy, but it came out all wrong and awkward.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I appreciate y'all saving me the time of watching it. I read the book about 6 months ago and really enjoyed it, but there seems to be roughly zero correlation between how good a book is and how good a movie adaptation is. The oddness of the story played very well in the book as your brain just swirls around trying to figure out what's going on and what it all might mean.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

paulbaxter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:55 pm I appreciate y'all saving me the time of watching it. I read the book about 6 months ago and really enjoyed it, but there seems to be roughly zero correlation between how good a book is and how good a movie adaptation is. The oddness of the story played very well in the book as your brain just swirls around trying to figure out what's going on and what it all might mean.
So, any insight into the deer behavior?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I suspect it was supposed to be played off more like a somewhat off-kilter satire, similar to Cold Storage by David Koepp, which also had weirdly behaving deer in it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/432 ... ld-storage
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:08 pm
paulbaxter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:55 pm I appreciate y'all saving me the time of watching it. I read the book about 6 months ago and really enjoyed it, but there seems to be roughly zero correlation between how good a book is and how good a movie adaptation is. The oddness of the story played very well in the book as your brain just swirls around trying to figure out what's going on and what it all might mean.
So, any insight into the deer behavior?
Obviously the deer were the masterminds of the whole thing. After their dolphin friends left the planet they just had enough. They never even got fed any fish. I'd be pissed too.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I thought it was mentioned in the movie that ‘The Event’ changed patterns of behavior of animals (maybe overheard on a tv or radio broadcast?).
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:13 pm I thought it was mentioned in the movie that ‘The Event’ changed patterns of behavior of animals (maybe overheard on a tv or radio broadcast?).
Yeah it was mentioned once - I don't remember which character or how they would know that a cyberattack would alter the behavior of animals.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finally finished Maestro, mainly because the subject matter bored me to tears so I had to break it up over several days.

There are some incredible performances throughout, with Carey Mulligan being the standout to me over even Bradley Cooper. However, the whole thing felt to me like distilling a man's entire life into the least interesting parts. Every time they appeared to get close to some real conflict they pulled their punches, using a single scene to sum up years of tension and then glossing over it to get to the next thing. I couldn't help but feel I was constantly viewing all the drama after the fact.

Tar was another conductor movie I had no interest in but watched anyway, and I enjoyed it much more than Maestro because Tar was an actually interesting character. Unpredictable, explosive. Leonard Bernstein, as portrayed in Maestro, is just a goofy gay dude.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, if anything, I'm surprised the movie didn't spend more time showing his creative side, ie how he came up with the music, the drive and overall process. It focused more on the torment and personal struggles.
Exodor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:48 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:13 pm I thought it was mentioned in the movie that ‘The Event’ changed patterns of behavior of animals (maybe overheard on a tv or radio broadcast?).
Yeah it was mentioned once - I don't remember which character or how they would know that a cyberattack would alter the behavior of animals.
Yeah, was mentioned briefly, then they never follow up on it. Just like how the son's bug bite is mostly ignored. I think for a cyberattack to alter the behavior, it would have to massively change the amount of EMF radiation, which animals are sensitive to and is known to disrupt animals. But none of what they show is ever elaborated on. The whole movie is presented like a bunch of cliches one after another.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:26 pm Yeah, if anything, I'm surprised the movie didn't spend more time showing his creative side, ie how he came up with the music, the drive and overall process. It focused more on the torment and personal struggles.
Exodor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:48 pm
Yeah, was mentioned briefly, then they never follow up on it. Just like how the son's bug bite is mostly ignored. I think for a cyberattack to alter the behavior, it would have to massively change the amount of EMF radiation, which animals are sensitive to and is known to disrupt animals. But none of what they show is ever elaborated on. The whole movie is presented like a bunch of cliches one after another.
Crazy prepper Kevin Bacon mentioned that the sounds were a Havana Syndrome type attack, which are known to have health affects on people. So it wasn't just hacking, it was a coordinated attack by a foreign actor on multiple levels. But even just saying that gives the movie way too much credit.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, his character was a cliche and a half. I just took his character as an extreme take on what was going on rather than what was really going on, as he was being rather an ass about it. Never took him seriously, in other words.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:48 am I’m kind of looking forward to Cunk on Earth. A mockumentary history show with an Ali G approach.

I was all over this after the trailers, but then forgot all about it. Well, the last 3 nights I've been bingeing them on Netflix...and I love Cunk on Earth. I've laughed numerous times each episode. I was worried it might get to be too much, but Diane Morgan is almost Matt Berry like in her ability to elicit a laugh from me just by the way she says something.
Spoiler:
Highlights include their efforts to work in the same clip from the Pump Up the Jam music video each episode...accompanied by some truly odd subtitles (the one that just gives us the death toll of a train wreck in 1889 had me spitting up my drink).
“I’m entering a cave, not by mistake or because I’m a wolf. “But because I’ve been specifically asked to come here by the producers, to look at cave art.”
Then you have the "My mate Paul" stories.

Like when my mate Paul ate 5 ketamine brownies and thought he could communicate telepathically with any animal he saw on television.
God I love this show. :wub:

Now I need to find Cunk on Britain.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Totally forgot about that show so thanks.
I mostly enjoy how deadpan and serious she takes it.
Question.
Do the people who she interview know her schtock or do they think it's supposed to be serious and play it as such?
I'm assuming that they must know on some level because most of her questions are obviously just not something a professional reviewer would ask. But anything is possible.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From what I've read, they're always prepped beforehand that they're going to be in an interview where the questions are going to be "like those from a child" and other nonsense. So they're aware they're in a comedy show. You can even see them start to laugh every now and again before they cut away.

Plus, by this point, I imagine finding someone who ISN'T aware she's doing comedy in England would be hard.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

From what I've understood from the googling I've done when I've watched it, they're aware that it's satire, just not what she'll be asking as most of that is improvisation. Which is why most of the reactions by those interviewed show genuine surprise.
Last edited by Rumpy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Side note: Looks like Cunk on Britain is readily available on YouTube.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:04 pm From what I've read, they're always prepped beforehand that they're going to be in an interview where the questions are going to be "like those from a child" and other nonsense. So they're aware they're in a comedy show. You can even see them start to laugh every now and again before they cut away.

Plus, by this point, I imagine finding someone who ISN'T aware she's doing comedy in England would be hard.
She touched on that in an interview with Seth Meyers. IIRC, they did know they were being interviewed for a comedy show, and they did sometimes crack up over her questions/comments, but those responses weren't used and if necessary they reshot the question to get a straight response.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

As I loved the game, I'm interested to see how they do trying to pull this one off. I can only imagine the CGI and stunt work costs with a veritable legion of robot dinosaurs.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:04 pm From what I've read, they're always prepped beforehand that they're going to be in an interview where the questions are going to be "like those from a child" and other nonsense. So they're aware they're in a comedy show. You can even see them start to laugh every now and again before they cut away.

She touched on that in an interview with Seth Meyers. IIRC, they did know they were being interviewed for a comedy show, and they did sometimes crack up over her questions/comments, but those responses weren't used and if necessary they reshot the question to get a straight response.
Hmmm...I thought I recalled at least one instance in Crunk on Earth where the subject looked like they were starting to laugh before they cut away. I believe it was Dr. Shirley J. Thompson (I looked her up). But then again, the woman is fantastically good natured and it may have just been her being so.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:25 pm
Max Peck wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm

Hmmm...I thought I recalled at least one instance in Crunk on Earth where the subject looked like they were starting to laugh before they cut away. I believe it was Dr. Shirley J. Thompson (I looked her up). But then again, the woman is fantastically good natured and it may have just been her being so.
Possibly, I didn't pay that much attention to the cuts to see if anything was accidentally shown. There is one interview, in the segment about Elvis, where the interviewee does start laughing, but they left it in, with Cunk taking her to task for it.

Anyway, this is the interview I was referencing:

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started watching Cunk and definitely had a LOL moment in the first episode:
Spoiler:
When the interviewee immediately replied that writing was a bigger invention than rap metal, but hesitated when asked if it was a bigger invention than acid jazz. :D Give that guy a medal for comedic timing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have little hope that this will be a successful adaptation given the drama during preproduction, but no posts about the new Avatar trailer?

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:23 pm I started watching Cunk and definitely had a LOL moment in the first episode:
Spoiler:
When the interviewee immediately replied that writing was a bigger invention than rap metal, but hesitated when asked if it was a bigger invention than acid jazz. :D Give that guy a medal for comedic timing.
I think one of my favourite bits, and I don't remember which episode it's in, but where she's talking about castles, and she's having interactions with the different characters as she's talking. Had me rolling.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

(Ignore the typo)
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Dogstar wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:23 pm
As I loved the game, I'm interested to see how they do trying to pull this one off. I can only imagine the CGI and stunt work costs with a veritable legion of robot dinosaurs.
One thing for sure is that it is not going to get second season on Netflix. :)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:32 pm I have little hope that this will be a successful adaptation given the drama during preproduction, but no posts about the new Avatar trailer?

Better than the previous live action version.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:32 pm I have little hope that this will be a successful adaptation given the drama during preproduction, but no posts about the new Avatar trailer?

A high bar.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:29 pm

(Ignore the typo)
*SNORT* It's comedy brilliance! Best history lesson ever! :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Finished Kung and enjoyed it.
Didn't realize how short it was.
Some things went above my head but I laughed several times and that's something I could use so, double thumbs-up for me.!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cunk on Britain is on YouTube if you want more.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

If you liked F1 Drive to Survive you should watch this NASCAR show.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:17 pm
Malificent wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:47 pm
Malificent wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:35 pm I have watched the first 5 episodes of Blue Eye Samurai and it is amazing. The animation is fantastic, the action is incredible and the story is beautiful, poetic, and tragic. It's about a blue eyed samurai during the period in Japan where they were completely closed off from the world. I won't say more than that other than it is completely worth your time.
This just got renewed for a second season, so I will use this opportunity to rave about this show again. It is a clear top 5 of this year for me and may end up as my favorite.
I blasted through this in two days and like I just don't watch TV so that's amazing. It's legit the only show I watched the entire year. :lol: And I loved it as well. I was screaming at the end and would have been super upset if there wasn't a season 2 coming.
I watched this over the last few days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful animation, awesome voice work, and a great story. My only gripe was the ending which felt incredibly unsatisfying after such a strong season.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Watching "The Greatest Night in Pop" documentary on Netflix about the making of "We Are the World." It's highly entertaining, with interviews with Lionel Richie, Bruce Springsteen, Kenny Loggins, the producers, etc. Really fascinating to see the logistical challenges they had to go through to create the entire experience.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:56 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 pm

A high bar.
This was better than I was expecting. I'm pretty forgiving about these things. It was cool seeing so much of the world in live action. They cut out many of zany antics parts to keep focused on the main plot. I was left wanting more. I believe it ended at the same spot as the original season 1.

I'm surprised Hepcat isn't rallying the troops for this since it features the excellent Amber Midthunder.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's where I'm at. I expected very little and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The kid actor they got really did a great job. It's the same way with One Piece. I had zero desire to watch it, but after some good word of mouth I checked it out. The actor who played the lead in that was so damn sincere and likeable I ended up enjoying the show in spite of all the things I normally don't like in anime based live shows.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I also enjoyed it, as did my kids who are big Avatar fans.